Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Ha look! The poster of this and the people who liked it are all the same ones posting racist and biased and inflammatory comments here on this thread, shocker!!

So what. I wasn't
    American supremacy isn't a real thing, lololololol. Look at this absolute garbage, making up terms to suit your agenda and then trying to gaslight in order to draw attention away from the real issues, the false information being spread here, and accountability for that. More whataboutism too to round it out. Pathetic show here. So obviously desperate to change the subject because you haven't got a leg to stand on. Take note of those usernames especially and where you see their posts on this thread, I would encourage people to do their own research. Absolutely disgraceful.

Are you sure you are not a troll? I knew Irish people were mind colonised by the US Empire but this is incredible.

Of course America is the dominant empire in the world. It is engaged in 7 wars across the world right now, it dominates the media, it dominates the world economy for now. Although thankfully China is catching up.

A list of invasions by the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Invasions_by_the_United_States

In the last few decades it has totally destroyed the middle east and destabilised Europe to boot, it whines about Russian interference while trying to overthrow Venezuela. Is sides with the Saudis in starving Yemeni children. It overthrows successful States like Libya, leaving behind slave states. These things disappear from its media once the carnage is complete.

Then it lectures the rest of the world about privilege.

The only thing this made up term proves and the context of using it by attempting to gaslight and throw attention off the real issues and false information being spread here- is that the hatred and xenophobia towards the US is still alive and well in some.

All moral people would hate the US. It's interesting that, like a lot of people colonised by US thought, you can't see it. And while severely critical of the US as a racist state, when the actions of the US go outside the US you have nothing to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

FVP3 wrote: »
    So what. I wasn't

Are you sure you are not a troll? I knew Irish people were mind colonised by the US Empire but this is incredible.

Of course America is the dominant empire in the world. It is engaged in 7 wars across the world right now, it dominates the media, it dominates the world economy for now. Although thankfully China is catching up.

In the last few decades it has totally destroyed the middle east and destabilised Europe to boot, it whines about Russian interference while trying to overthrow Venezuela. Is sides with the Saudis in starving Yemeni children. It overthrows successful States like Libya, leaving behind slave states. These things disappear from its media once the carnage is complete.

Stop your whataboutism already. You need to remind yourself what the topic of this thread is. You're free to start a different one and use the made up term of American supremacy there to your hearts content. I can see that will make you feel a lot better, and it's much easier to focus on than the real issues being discussed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I think this might be the undoing of America as a leading political influencer. Racial discrimination is a cancer that will some day ruin it's host. I feel sorry for those just trying to make an honest living, but arming the police to military levels would always lead to conflict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

All moral people would hate the US. It's interesting that, like a lot of people colonised by US thought, you can't see it. And while severely critical of the US as a racist state, when the actions of the US go outside the US you have nothing to say.

You don't come across prejudiced at all. Go ahead, paint an entire country of 330 million people by one brush and promote hatred. Are we really here again? It's tiresome. I can see the US for what it is and isn't just fine, and I have critical opinions of it OBVIOUSLY and as we are currently discussing here. You're digging the hole of whataboutism so deep you'll never climb out at this stage. Remember George Floyd? Yeah, that's what this thread is about, and the issues surrounding and contributing to that. You want to talk about the actions of the US outside the US in this thread because outrageous things have been said that are false that cannot stand up to any light so here we are. Desperately grabbing and pulling in other, separate issues so the falsehoods here don't have to be faced or accountable to. This is disgraceful behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

So what. I wasn't

The last thing you want is China taking over from America. America not all bad. There is plenty of wonderful things America given to the world. Some in the power structure correct used the strength of the US military to engage in rogue actions around the world.
    United States just needs to get rid of the rot and the rotten apples in society and take money out of politics and clean up its act around racial affairs. The US politicians will have to come on board with the fresh changes and stop being influenced by Super PACs and wealthy donors who don’t care about the poor and middle class in society.

Stop your whataboutism already.

It's perfectly legitimate criticism of people like you who clearly justify US supremacism.
    You need to remind yourself what the topic of this thread is. You're free to start a different one and use the made up term of American supremacy there to your hearts content. I can see that will make you feel a lot better, and it's much easier to focus on than the real issues being discussed here.

The fact that US universities ( who clearly tell you what to think) don't use the term American Supremacy it itself telling. Apparently there is a "white supremacy", which is a worldwide thing, but is not part of American Supremacy which doesn't exist. Which leaves the world controlled by the Scots, Irish, Polish, Serbs and Russians etc. This isn't actually how the world actually works. None of these countries are world dominant.

The "real issues" being discussed here are irrelevant to my life. The US raping and killing its way across the middle east is relevant. Its badgering of China in the South China sea is relevant.

Clearly, to you, the citizens of the Empire are vastly more important than the outsiders the Empire kills. You seem to be angered to the point of insanity by the admittedly thuggish response of the militarised US state, a pox on it, but when confronted by the mass killings of the Empire outside its borders you throw a hissy fit and whine about xenophobia. This is more fashion than morality.

The last thing you want is China taking over from America. America not all bad. There is plenty of wonderful things America given to the world. Some in the power structure correct used the strength of the US military to engage in rogue actions around the world.
    United States just needs to get rid of the rot and the rotten apples in society and take money out of politics and clean up its act around racial affairs. The US politicians will have to come on board with the fresh changes and stop being influenced by Super PACs and wealthy donors who don’t care about the poor and middle class in society.

The US isn't a perfectable state that has suddenly gone bad, its rotten to its core since its inception. And I have no idea what China would be like but have no reason to assume they would be anyway worse, hard to see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

America is the rogue state, they are the ones engaging in rogue actions around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

FatherTed wrote: »
    I live in a very diverse city in the US where people of all races support each other and get along quite well. And yes white privilege is a real thing and I've seen it. I've seen it at work, how my kids' black friends are treated at school and even neighbors having assumptions when they see some black kids riding bikes in my area.

What assumptions do they have? Would some people in black neighbourhoods have assumptions about white kids going in riding bikes in their neighbourhood alas?

I just fear we focus too much on privilege, when we have already tried to address this for decades. There are now systems in place that actually boost up black people (quotas) this certainly is a privilege.

I fear we are all avoiding the elephant in the room though a much bigger contributing factor to what we are seeing. I don't think anyone is in disagreement that the reasons are socio-economic for the differences, but why?

My theory is that America is still essentially segregated. This time not by the white people but by black culture.
    In the United States, acting white is a pejorative term, usually applied to black people, which refers to a person's perceived betrayal of their culture by assuming the social expectations of white society.

This is the thing, there is no white society; there is only society. America was built on the ideals of multiculturalism and compromise. This requires people who come there to fit in to some extent.

When you have one culture that is being shunned and ostracized for any attempt to 'fit-in' to society you surely will have problems like we are seeing today.
    There is black music and white music (and maybe country).
    Black people are told to stay in their lane, to conform to black culture, or risk being called smeared as white.
    "You're not black if you don't vote democrat"-Joe Biden

Look at the abuse Candace Owens receives.

carlton-banks-1493197988-hero-wide-v4-0.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

2u2me wrote: »
    What assumptions do they have? Would some people in black neighbourhoods have assumptions about white kids going in riding bikes in their neighbourhood alas?

I just fear we focus too much on privilege, when we have already tried to address this for decades. There are now systems in place that actually boost up black people (quotas) this certainly is a privilege.

I fear we are all avoiding the elephant in the room though a much bigger contributing factor to what we are seeing. I don't think anyone is in disagreement that the reasons are socio-economic for the differences, but why?

My theory is that America is still essentially segregated. This time not by the white people but by black culture.

This is the thing, there is no white society; there is only society. America was built on the ideals of multiculturalism and compromise. This requires people who come there to fit in to some extent.

When you have one culture that is being shunned and ostracized for any attempt to 'fit-in' to society you surely will have problems like we are seeing today.
    There is black music and white music (and maybe country).
    Black people are told to stay in their lane, to conform to black culture, or risk being called smeared as white.
    "You're not black if you don't vote democrat"-Joe Biden

......civil war, jim crow laws, segregation. America wasn't always multi-cultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Odhinn wrote: »
    ......civil war, jim crow laws, segregation. America wasn't always multi-cultural.

The Native Americans would agree with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The last thing you want is China taking over from America. America not all bad.
    In general and as things stand right now, I agree. The big problems however are that a) with Trump in charge, the US has been closing that gap at a very worrying rate, and b) with Trump in charge, China overtaking the US as world leader is inevitable, and on the brink of happening already thanks in major part to the worst 3.5 years the US presidency has ever seen.

I don't see the US having a fair and open election in November if Trump's dip in popularity and sliding odds continues, and if this descent were to continue for another 4 years, it is very possible that the US will truly be no better than China is now, and possibly even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

there's a right way to deal with the protests - plenty of footage around of police forces kneeling with protesters and even joining marches. talking to them. obviously the bad eggs taking advantage of the whole thing to loot and destroy should be dealt with lawfully. this is about a complete break down in trust between the people and the government/police. this is not the time for brute force authoritarianism that trump and his fox friends seem to be salivating for. unless they want an actual civil war, which is not beyond the realm of possibility in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

carlton-banks-1493197988-hero-wide-v4-0.png
    Very poor comparison when you look at the rest of the family being very much what you are considering 'white' but painted in a positive light, especially Uncle Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Very poor comparison when you look at the rest of the family being very much what you are considering 'white' but painted in a positive light, especially Uncle Phil.

Who was a Judge.

And the show still tackled racism head on.

Odhinn wrote: »

Those Jim Crowe laws were eventually defeated. I don't see a solution to what we're seeing today unless 'black culture' stops shunning black people for going outside their lane.

Look at this article by the Guardian. The word white is used 4 time as a pejorative against Kanye West.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Minding your own business while black, how dare he, get em!

https://twitter.com/NicsMonique/status/1267389808869019649

Those Jim Crowe laws were eventually defeated. I don't see a solution to what we're seeing today unless 'black culture' stops shunning black people for going outside their lane.

Look at this article by the Guardian. The word white is used 4 time as a pejorative against Kanye West.

So that’s the problem: the blacks calling out the “uncle toms,” not the rich and bloodied history of lynching and persecution...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,057 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

I am not considering anything white. You either have not understood my post or are purposefully smearing me, either way I'm not replying to you in the future.

Overheal wrote: »
    So that’s the problem: the blacks calling out the “uncle toms,” not the rich and bloodied history of lynching and persecution...

The rich bloodiest history of lynchings and persecution gets called out on a daily basis for decades now. I don't see what good it further serves, but by all means continue I don't see anyone trying to stop it.

What is being stopped is black people by their own communities from trying to fit into society

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the laws are gone but the thinking behind them is still there.

the laws are gone but the thinking behind them is still there.

Joe Biden last week "you're not black if you don't vote democrat"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Joe Biden last week "you're not black if you don't vote democrat"

Donnie "if you don't like here, go back to where you came from".

Resisting false arrest ain’t a crime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Eventually. So its true to say that the notion
    "America was built on the ideals of multiculturalism and compromise"
    is a gross simplification

A very distorted claim.

Yeah, why would she attract abuse - I can't think of a reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Owens#Muslim_immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Minding your own business while black, how dare he, get em!

https://twitter.com/NicsMonique/status/1267389808869019649

Video is apparently old and he is not an FBI agent.

The rich bloodiest history of lynchings and persecution gets called out on a daily basis for decades now. I don't see what good it further serves, but by all means continue I don't see anyone trying to stop it.

What is being stopped is black people by their own communities from trying to fit into society

Is that your opinion or are you some expert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Video is apparently old and he is not an FBI agent.

they seemed to uncuff him immediately when they opened his wallet. so if he isnt FBI then what is he?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement