Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

This is why people need to get back to work, too much time on their hands.

Most people don't work bank holiday Monday FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Oh well, let's all just fck the requirements asked of us and go back to being pricks.
    Don't worry if you had to zoom your mam or dad's funeral - sure there's crappy social media likes to be had.

Where are the guards and govt in all of this please.
    Same place they were for Gemma's world tour of Ireland over the last few weeks - nowhere to be seen. That's going to bite them in the arse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Its terrible all the bad stuff happening in the US at the moment, but some of this stuff is comedy gold

https://twitter.com/worldtrav747/status/1267423405273473026

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Esse85 wrote: »
    Most people don't work bank holiday Monday FYI

You can be sure this will continue here, long as it does in America. Weren't they protesting over the weekend too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

They're not social distancing, what a fcuking joke. How easily people forgot Covid-19 How easily people who were frothing at the mouth about lack of social distancing just a few short weeks ago have now forgotten it completely. Pathetic.

Where were the ****ing Gardaí, they stopped a tiny Debenhams protest a few weeks ago, all were social distancing, and they let a few hundred brain dead morons march and shout. Assholes of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nullzero wrote: »
    Are we talking about the murder of George Floyd here?

Nobody is arguing that point.

You are suggesting that police are murdering protesters/looters.

No I did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

What a difference a day makes...

Yesterday
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-18-59-38.png

Today
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-19-05-17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

We're destroying Irish lives, Irish jobs, Irish families because of the lockdown and social distancing measures, Irish people of all colours, religions, and backgrounds are being hammered. Why shouldn't we just scrap the €350 payments tomorrow and tell everyone to go back to work when we see scenes like this?

What a difference a day makes...

Yesterday
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-18-59-38.png

Today
    Screen-Shot-2020-06-01-at-19-05-17.png

The guards are put in a difficult spot here if they go breaking up these protests they will probably be classed as racist :confused:

GazzaL wrote: »
    We're destroying Irish lives, Irish jobs, Irish families because of the lockdown and social distancing measures, Irish people of all colours, religions, and backgrounds are being hammered. Why shouldn't we just scrap the €350 payments tomorrow and tell everyone to go back to work when we see scenes like this?

Wrong thread chief

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

omerin wrote: »
    Where were the ****ing Gardaí, they stopped a tiny Debenhams protest a few weeks ago, all were social distancing, and they let a few hundred brain dead morons march and shout. Assholes of the highest order

The Left have Cancelled Covid-19. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

At least the protest here was peaceful compared to the us, I wonder why ?

You can be sure this will continue here, long as it does in America. Weren't they protesting over the weekend too?

Again most people don't work the weekend or bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The guards are put in a difficult spot here if they go breaking up these protests they will probably be classed as racist :confused:

That shouldn't even enter their heads. I fully agree with protesting about the disgusting murder of George Floyd but AGS should have been in there, beating these people back home, if needed. F*cking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Regardless of the cause it Breaks my heart to see those protestors basically kick sand in the rest of the country’s faces and ignore social distancing

Why didn’t the guards step in and enforce social distancing

We have 77 new cases today just to remind ppl this C19 has not gone away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Enlighten us...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Organisers could have at least made an effort at encouraging appropriate social distancing and given out masks. Not a good look. The organisation responsible (MASI) are not a crowd I'd have a terrible amount of time for. They want to end deportations from Ireland in all circumstances.*

* Fully in support of the right to protest if it was done safely and with the respect to the severe public health and economic situation we find ourselves in.

Anyone see a "Black Lives Matter, Irish Lives Don't." banner?

If I’m not mistaken people have died in police custody in this country, officials here though have perfected the art of cover up over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Absolutely disgusting, its because of these clowns we'll have another surge. Government embarrassing themselves by doing nothing about it.

• Advertisement

GazzaL wrote: »
    Anyone see a "Black Lives Matter, Irish Lives Don't." banner?

No, any pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Who gives a toss any more. Destruction of lives, the economy , what's kicking off in the us. I'm more sick of hearing about this bull**** flu, than I am of brexit and thats saying something..

The protestors were outside and hardly w**nking each other off...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't see why anyone's getting their knickers in a twist about this protest. There hasn't been social distancing in many weeks and groups of people are all over the place during this nice weather. Traveller funerals, street parties in Ballyfermot and Darndale, parks, the seafront...
    These people aren't getting special treatment probably they were told to leave it alone as it might cause trouble interrupting it.
    They tried to break up the Debenham's protest because there were only few of them and it was easy to do, and the Garda don't actually like hands on policing and try and avoid any conflict as much as they can.
    Overall I'd still prefer our lame police force to the SS inspired American one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well, we're talking similar numbers... https://www.thejournal.ie/peaceful-protests-us-police-brutality-dublin-5112042-May2020/

"Dozens gather in Dublin for peaceful protests against US police brutality"

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

On the plus side, I guess at least most of them are socially distancing.

I thought The journal said thousands...?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Doff wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting, its because of these clowns we'll have another surge. Government embarrassing themselves by doing nothing about it.

It's not because of these clowns if we have another surge, which we will, it's because pretty much no one is adhering to any rules any more.

Doff wrote: »

These clowns will be the reason why restrictions won't be eased sooner, undoing all the good work we've done over the past few months.

My guess why the guards weren't involved in the protest today was the fear that AGS might get attacked and then provoke the situation even further leading to violent scenes.

Otherwise I cannot understand why they wouldn't be monitoring this in case sh1t hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Living in a major US city, and was just out surveying the damage to local businesses. I can say that there is very little crossover between the protesters and the looters, the latter being opportunistic c**ts who have come from outside the area, and are destroying neighborhoods for their own gain. They've even rented vans so they can load up as much as they can.

And what a crowd of absolute fcuking morons in Dublin. In the absence of a pandemic, knock yourselves out, march all you want. But this is monumentally stupid, particularly since no one in the US gives a fiddlers fcuk about a few people getting together in Ireland while their own country is burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Normally I stay out of Politics but while everyone has a right to protest , doing so now is absoutely reckless. They marched for solidarity but in doing so is a slap to the face for every Doctor and Nurse who put their own lives at risk to keep our loved ones alive and healthy . All the effort we have put in the last 3 months has been wasted.
    So Congratulations , you got your 30 minutes of self gratitude , your photos for your Instagram and Facebook showing the whole world how much you actually care for peoples lives . But when the numbers start to spike again in the coming weeks and more people Continue to get sick and die , I hope you are proud .

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote: »
    Easy to say, but in fairness, guards are fcked either way. They stopped a Debenhams protest over social distancing and there was uproar. Now they don't stop a protest and there's uproar.

It's a case of which is "less bad". Seeing the Irish protest on RTE and the guards assisting it more than anything, was probably the right move in terms of highlighting how lucky we are in many ways compared to other jurisdictions.

Keeping in mind of course, there are faults with ours, as with all countries. And I'd say ours are tame in comparison to many, many around the world.

What a message to send out. It's seemingly ok for hundreds of people to gather in close proximity with zero social distancing to protest about a tragic event in the US. But, if you want to earn an honest living or see your family or friends, you're being told to go **** yourself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement