Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

begbysback wrote: »
    If I’m not mistaken people have died in police custody in this country, officials here though have perfected the art of cover up over the years.

They were more likely " white " , so no need to perfect any " art ".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Normally I stay out of Politics but while everyone has a right to protest , doing so now is absoutely reckless. They marched for solidarity but in doing is a slap to the face for every Doctor and Nurse who put their own lives at risk to keep our loved ones alive and healthy . All the effort we have put in the last 3 months has been wasted.
    So Congratulations , you got your 30 minutes of self gratitude , your photos for your Instagram and Facebook showing the whole how world how much you actually care are for peoples lives . But when the numbers start to spike again in the coming weeks and more people Continue to get sick and die , I hope you are proud .

You might want to go outside. There are people everywhere in groups. There is no social distancing or lockdown going on at the moment apart from stupid queues for supermarkets. Traffic is at normal weekend levels, worse even in some places because of the weather. The Garda don't care. The so called lockdown is over.
    People are just singling out this protest so they can give out about "the left" and say things like virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Get a grip. These outdoor protesters would have no relevance in the scheme of things. A march against this lockdown farce should be held , we can all hold hands and they can keep their bull**** lockdown and capitulate or have the people force their hand

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

( The people who died , that is ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

You might want to go outside. There are people everywhere in groups. There is no social distancing or lockdown going on at the moment apart from stupid queues for supermarkets. Traffic is at normal weekend levels, worse even in some places because of the weather. The Garda don't care. The so called lockdown is over.
    People are just singling out this protest so they can give out about "the left" and say things like virtue signalling.

The lockdown isn't fully over until August. Another 2 months for some businesses to be shut. But sure the lives of the owners and employees of those businesses, and the lives of their familes, don't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'd say a pat of the violence and frustration in the us, ie partially down to the lockdown. Basically people dont like being told what to do by some nerds whose wet dream this scenario is. Spare me!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

GazzaL wrote: »
    The lockdown isn't fully over until August. Another 2 months for some businesses to be shut. But sure the lives of the owners and employees of those businesses, and the lives of their familes, don't matter.

Businesses are closed. Socially there is no lockdown, there never really was, people in groups all over the shop, parties etc.
    Go to the seafront anywhere in Dublin or any parks.
    This protest wont make a difference, people are just using it to attack the type of people they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wonder how many are rioting because of George Floyd compared to how many are rioting to get free stuff from trucks/stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Esse85 wrote: »
    My guess why the guards weren't involved in the protest today was the fear that AGS might get attacked and then provoke the situation even further leading to violent scenes.

Otherwise I cannot understand why they wouldn't be monitoring this in case sh1t hit the fan.

There have been problems in Dublin with roaming gangs in the past few years of different backgrounds.

Gardai probably taking the right option to stand back and let it pass peacefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

And criminals, so never much questions asked, but police heavy handedness is a problem in many countries, the introduction of mobile phone cameras has reduced the number of incidents tremendously, though make no mistake about it, police overzealousness will still cause deaths in the near future, not just in US but here in the home nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Isn't this all fantastic for the weapons manufacturers. They didn't even need a foreign war and they're sold out of rubber bullets, mace... Tax dollars hard at work in America today.

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So white people dying in police custody doesn't cause an Ireland.
    That must be the stupidest comment I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

The only person spouting crap like "The Left" is you. Fact is, a lot of us have been going out of our way to abide by the rules for the benefit of the country. Small group gatherings are still annoying, but it was to be expected that small groups of people wouldn't abide by the rules. This protest is an absolute kick in the face to those of us who spent the last 3 months mostly indoors. Black lives matter, but elderly and highly vulnerable peoples lives don't apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There have been many threads and contributions to threads about people violating social distancing rules.

Bar the traveller funeral (I don't know the numbers on that one but I'd say we can assume it was smaller than this protest) none of them had hundreds of people (thousands?) cheek by jowl.

They should know better. The very same group, MASI, (with foundation in fairness) were giving out in the media that Direct Provision centres are uniquely vulnerable to an outbreak.

What are they going to say to all of us if one of these Rhodes Scholars contracts the virus at the protest and acts as a superspreader in one of the centres?

I have a relative who was a frontline nurse during all this and I know she's seen a lot of people pass away in her care despite all her efforts and those of her colleagues. What kind of message is this sending?

I'm not clutching my rosary beads here, this is a genuinely unsafe thing to do in these circumstances.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Isn't this all fantastic for the weapons manufacturers. They didn't even need a foreign war and they're sold out of rubber bullets, mace... Tax dollars hard at work in America today.

Ugh
    At the rate progressives are buying guns and ammo this weekend we may see bipartisanship on reform this century!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Businesses are closed. Socially there is no lockdown, there never really was, people in groups all over the shop, parties etc.
    Go to the seafront anywhere in Dublin or any parks.
    This protest wont make a difference, people are just using it to attack the type of people they don't like.

Absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1267515702652678144?s=20

Anarchists organising looting and criminal damage. Antifa possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Incorrect.
    I've been out and about quite a bit within the rules and recommendations.

I live in a highly populated Dublin area near the intersection of two fo the busiest roads in the country.
    Traffic levels are still extremely low.
    There have been instances of house parties and some groupings in parks.
    'Stupid' queues at supermarkets are being maintained by 99% of people I can see. Some are asre*oles inside superemarkets but they are quickly dealt with.
    The garda correct, do not care given the joke of what happened today, the o'doherty joke, the Debenham's joke, the traveller joke.

And no, I don't give a flying fck what stupid spectrum the idiots land on today who broke every recommendation and rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Possibly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Overheal wrote: »

Something radical is going to have to be done with social media. It can't continue the way it is. The amount of misinformation, misdirection and foreign/internal nterference is having serious impacts on democratic societies.

I'm not sure what the answer is but troll farms are setting the narrative instigating and promoting discontent to an alarming extent.

Talking about picnic tables to barricade against these violent thug police using their cars to send human beings flying across the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

I'm a true crime fan. Would you have any info on any criminal past on the part of the cop (if any)? I'd be interested in that too & it might be of interest to other posters.

I'm sure it would. From The Sunday Times;

"By contrast, the effect of events in Minnesota on Amy Klobuchar's vice-presidential ambitions could be devastating. Earlier in her career, Klobuchar was a prosecutor there and has been criticised for her failure to prosecute incidents of police brutality.
    One officer who was involved in the death of a citizen and not prosecuted by Klobuchar is Derek Chauvin, the very man now charged with murdering George Floyd."

Something radical is going to have to be done with social media. It can't continue the way it is. The amount of misinformation, misdirection and foreign/internal nterference is having serious impacts on democratic societies.

I'm not sure what the answer is but troll farms are setting the narrative instigating and promoting discontent to an alarming extent.

100%.

I think since the rise of youtube and social media and 9/11 trutherism, WMD hoaxes, Snowden, etc. we’ve seen a progressive decline into a post-truth society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Seriously, Donald has hundreds of shocking looting videos to choose from, and he pick this one, picnic tables!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've noticed repeated posts on reddit about a protest last night here. It was in the suburbs at an outdoor mall and was totally peaceful. Posts on reddit are saying that the national guard was deployed there and shut it down because it is an affluent white area, and not at the main downtown protest because who gives a **** about that. I was watching it on twitter live and local news covered it too. There was no national guard at all, just police but some people are believing it without question. Seems like some are disappointed it didn't devolve into violence and looting and are trying to stir **** up and make sure it does tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Trump is just after re quoting the comment from the guy that suggested getting the Air Foce involved. Gets stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He died as a direct result of their extremely-obviously overt and unnecessary actions. That's all that matters.

That’s for a court of law to decide. After the initial coroners report I think it will be extremely difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

merlin_169674648_387f7c3c-bf30-4e29-b18f-cbba0a115a9f-superJumbo.jpg

Trump is no racist. The work he does with Black Community is far more than Obama ever did. But of course the leftist media has brain washed a lot of Americans into thinking he is a racist.
    He's all about law and order, and calling out the groups that have clearly hijacked these protests.

Oh FFs , they look like a bunch of religious freaks.

How are they a judge of anything in reality?

On second thoughts Fair enough it is Merica :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

merlin_169674648_387f7c3c-bf30-4e29-b18f-cbba0a115a9f-superJumbo.jpg

Trump is no racist. The work he does with Black Community is far more than Obama ever did. But of course the leftist media has brain washed a lot of Americans into thinking he is a racist.
    He's all about law and order, and calling out the groups that have clearly hijacked these protests.

"Some of my best friends are black"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement