Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    Excuse me the fcuk?

Show me where. Bet.

Bet?

What are you? Seven years old?

Read what you're posting here, what exactly was "we see you" supposed to mean then? You posted a link to an article earlier and you clearly didn't comprehend what the heading of that article was.
    Everything with you is black and white, never any grey areas, if only life was that simple.

Heaven forbid Trump should lose the election this year, you'll have nothing to crusade against.

Trump is in my opinion an idiot, to others it appears that he is personally responsible for everything negative in American society, when in actuality all the issues that are rearing their heads at the moment have existed through the entire history of that country.

The alt right are morons, and the modern "left" are just as bad.

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yurt! wrote: »
    This is the most out of control I've seen America in my lifetime, and that's some going.

I think the place finally cracked-up.

Well, it's not as bad as 2016 (yet at least - and hopefully it won't be) when 5 cops were effectively executed after a BLM march and could easily have been more.

The reporting since Floyd's death from the mainstream media has been disgraceful and grossly irresponsible. They have gone out of their way to push the narrative that there is systemic racism in the US police force and that it is what led to Floyd's death, when they had no proof of that.

I remember Tony Timpa's mother crying on TV when her son was similarly killed and there was no looting and violence like we are seeing now. Same with many other deaths of white people who have been killed by cops. Daniel Shaver, Justine Damond, Chase Tuseth etc.

The truth is Police brutality in America is something which affects all races and it should not be a problem which is discussed from the perspective that it only affects one. There are many factors at play in such deaths. Screaming racism just because a cop was white and the victim black helps nobody and just fuels division. In fact some studies have even shown that there is more hesitation when a suspect is black given the reactions we have seen over the years.

The cop involved here was a c***, of that there is no doubt but the mainstream news media still had an obligation to report the facts, not lead with their biased agenda. They stoked the racist angle of this story just so they could feed into a political narrative. Thankfully George's family don't seem to want to do similarly.

It is also sickening to see the same media selectively report what has been going on these past few days. Gangs looting shops, women being robbed and punched in the face and churches being burned to the ground is not "protesting" - and as Obama said (when he had to deal with similar) those who do that are just 'thugs' and 'criminals'.

https://twitter.com/TruthBToldDe/status/1266533096448540672

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Extremely happy? I live in Dublin. A case in butthole, Minnesota has no real baring on my emotions either way. Sorry to disappoint. It’s a discussion board.

If watching a man die on screen has no real bearing on your emotions then i can only assume that you are as sociopathic, or racist, as the killer.

Seeing as you're interested in discussion, what is your opinion on the immigration and integration of black people into our own society?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Muahahaha wrote: »

I really don't get these posts, are people burning down hospitals and smashing up ambulances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

If watching a man die on screen has no real bearing on your emotions then i can only assume that you are as sociopathic, or racist, as the killer.

Seeing as you're interested in discussion, what is your opinion on the immigration and integration of black people into our own society?

I would imagine most sensible people don't get upset over the deaths of people they don't know.Its hard enough to deal with the deaths of people you do know without causing further unnecessary upset for yourself when someone who had zero impact on your life dies.People can watch something terrible happen think it's awful and then move on with their life.

We don't have police brutality in Ireland I'm really not sure what integration of people into this country has to do with this case in America.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Bet?

What are you? Seven years old?

Read what you're posting here, what exactly was "we see you" supposed to mean then? You posted a link to an article earlier and you clearly didn't comprehend what the heading of that article was.
    Everything with you is black and white, never any grey areas, if only life was that simple.

Heaven forbid Trump should lose the election this year, you'll have nothing to crusade against.

Trump is in my opinion an idiot, to others it appears that he is personally responsible for everything negative in American society, when in actuality all the issues that are rearing their heads at the moment have existed through the entire history of that country.

The alt right are morons, and the modern "left" are just as bad.

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

I don't disagree with you on this.

But i cannot honestly see how anyone who is defending a death which we've all seen occur is not prejudiced by racism?

A person died for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yurt! wrote: »
    JFK wasn't murdered in the legal sense. He had an unusually tender skull due to a lack of calcium intake and had the misfortune to drive by the book depository as Lee Harvey Oswald was innocently testing his rifle that he got for his birthday. He mistook Jackie Kennedy's hat for a pheasant. Honest mistake.

#weldonihnolegalplaybook

And OJ never killed Ron and Nicole either.

I would imagine most sensible people don't get upset over the deaths of people they don't know.Its hard enough to deal with the deaths of people you do know without causing further unnecessary upset for yourself when someone who had zero impact on your life dies.People can watch something terrible happen think it's awful and then move on with their life.

We don't have police brutality in Ireland I'm really not sure what integration of people into this country has to do with this case in America.

Are you serious?
    Have you actually watched the video?

°°°°°

I don't disagree with you on this.

But i cannot honestly see how anyone who is defending a death which we've all seen occur is not prejudiced by racism?

A person died for no reason.

I have stated that George Floyd's death was a disgrace on this thread (granted I don't expect everyone here to have read everything posted here as the thread is huge).

I don't think anyone here is out right stating his killing was in anyway justified, however maybe some posters are racist, who knows?

With all that said having the results of the post mortem is important and may clear a lot of conjecture up, to some saying that is proof of racism, which isn't necessarily fair.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Are you serious?

Are you suggesting that watching a stranger dying is the same as seeing the death of somebody close to you?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

1. its called empathy. people who have empathy feel things for people they don't know because they can place themselves in the other person's shoes. its concerning actually not to have empathy for things that don't directly affect you.

2. its called human rights. its not just an american domestic issue. its human and civil rights which directly affects the world.

Its fine if you want to live in your bubble that is your choice but dont judge people because they feel deeply for issues that affect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Are you serious?

There is a lot worse **** out there if you think this is too much for you. We get fed stories like this every single day, we are completely desensitized to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Alas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Babies_case
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Kelly

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-scandals-force-dogged-by-controversy-over-number-of-decades-1.3039241?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fgarda-scandals-force-dogged-by-controversy-over-number-of-decades-1.3039241

°°°°°

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    1. its called empathy. people who have empathy feel things for people they don't know because they can place themselves in the other person's shoes. its concerning actually not to have empathy for things that don't directly affect you.

2. its called human rights. its not just an american domestic issue. its human and civil rights which directly affects the world.

Its fine if you want to live in your bubble that is your choice but dont judge people because they feel deeply for issues that affect others.

You are assuming this person doesn't empathise with this situation.

There is a difference between empathising and being emotionally affected in a personal manner.

To be honest what you're saying above is quite insulting.

Glazers Out!

ElmoLaw wrote: »

I'm not judging anyone.

I simply pointed out that most people don't get upset by stuff that happens to people they don't know.They don't because if that was the way the world worked nothing would get done in life.

The issue in America is not as issue that affects Ireland because the guards don't behave like the cops in America do.We have not had many examples (if any) of genuine police brutality in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hong Kongers have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.

French yellow vests have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Odhinn wrote: »

1984 was 36 years ago, things have moved on in Ireland since then.You don't hear about people been treated brutality by the Guards on a daily basis as is the case in America where it is clearly a huge problem it really isn't a massive problem occurring constantly in Ireland.

°°°°°

biko wrote: »
    Hong Kongers have been on the streets protesting for over a year.

Not one shop looted.

If you want an example of a justified protest against a genuinely inhumane regime that is it.

Glazers Out!

I'm not judging anyone.

I simply pointed out that most people don't get upset by stuff that happens to people they don't know.They don't because if that was the way the world worked nothing would get done in life.

The issue in America is not as issue that affects Ireland because the guards don't behave like the cops in America do.We have not had many examples (if any) of genuine police brutality in Ireland.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113612259&postcount=3516

Trying to insinuate a man was a child molester not count?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garda_whistleblower_scandal#Maurice_McCabe

• Advertisement

1984 was 36 years ago, things have moved on in Ireland since then.You don't hear about people been treated brutality by the Guards on a daily basis as is the case in America where it is clearly a huge problem it really isn't a massive problem occurring constantly in Ireland.

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grangegorman_killings

Not really because that was an internal police matter (still wrong obviously ) but not really what would be considered policy brutality i.e. killing a member of the public for no good reason.

That's more in the lines of police corruption.

°°°°°

Count as police brutality? No.

It's a horrible injustice.

Glazers Out!

Not really because that was an internal police matter (still wrong obviously ) but not really what would be considered policy brutality i.e. killing a member of the public for no good reason.

That's more in the lines of police corruption.

It's evidence of thuggery and lines by a suppoisedly "clean" police force, which is far from clean. Do you honestly think that mcabe was the first to have his name blackened by martin callinian?

Are you just going to put up a link to every single bit of the corruption the guards have been involved with in the forces history.

Our police force here aren't even remotely comparable to the situation in America.Pretending that they are is nonsense and undermining the real problem that exists in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

nullzero wrote: »
    If you want an example of a justified protest against a genuinely inhumane regime that is it.

By the time that comes, you've let a "good" regime trample all over your rights.

Are you just going to put up a link to every single bit of the corruption the guards have been involved with in the forces history.

It might be nessecary as there seems to be some notion that the force has no cases to answer.

°°°°°

By the time that comes, you've let a "good" regime trample all over your rights.

What are you talking about?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Violent antifa thug gets put in their place! Oh no wait it's just another scumbag cop.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It might be nessecary as there seems to be some notion that the force has no cases to answer.

Are An Garda Siochana regularly brutalising the people of Ireland?

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement