Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Odhinn wrote: »
    It might be nessecary as there seems to be some notion that the force has no cases to answer.

There isn't a police force (or any type of institution) in the world that hasn't been or isn't currently corrupt, the guards behaviour here isn't remotely comparable to the situation in the USA.

You reach into your pocket while talking to a cop over there you risk being shot, you do that here and nothing will happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have really read much of the what happened but is there evidence that the death was racially movitaved,

I believe he shot severaly people before while on duty where any white?
    Was he just a **** cop with a power trip to everyone or was he a **** cop and a racist?

Again I haven't read much on what acutlly happened,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There isn't a police force (or any type of institution) in the world that hasn't been or isn't currently corrupt, the guards behaviour here isn't remotely comparable to the situation in the USA.

You reach into your pocket while talking to a cop over there you risk being shot, you do that here and nothing will happen to you.

Yet the corruption and abuse of powers continue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Tribunal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

nullzero wrote: »
    Count as police brutality? No.

It's a horrible injustice.

While it is off topic, there are no shortage of Guards who were outright criminals, lit of good ones and the force has really cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

I'm not judging anyone.

I simply pointed out that most people don't get upset by stuff that happens to people they don't know.They don't because if that was the way the world worked nothing would get done in life.

The issue in America is not as issue that affects Ireland because the guards don't behave like the cops in America do.We have not had many examples (if any) of genuine police brutality in Ireland.

ok. i think there are many people who do get upset by stuff that happens to people they don't know because it is part of what you call the human experience - we are all connected. one action can have a domino effect on the world. lets take COVID-19 for example. One action has caused the world to be at a standstill. Further - I do think as human beings we have a responsibility to acknowledge what is happening around the world as we are not only living in the present but there are future generations we are gifting this planet too. we have only borrowed this planet for our lifetime. we need to be better than just consuming what is around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, it's not as bad as 2016 (yet at least - and hopefully it won't be) when 5 cops were effectively executed after a BLM march and could easily have been more.

The reporting since Floyd's death from the mainstream media has been disgraceful and grossly irresponsible. They have gone out of their way to push the narrative that there is systemic racism in the US police force and that it is what led to Floyd's death, when they had no proof of that.

I remember Tony Timpa's mother crying on TV when her son was similarly killed and there was no looting and violence like we are seeing now. Same with many other deaths of white people who have been killed by cops. Daniel Shaver, Justine Damond, Chase Tuseth etc.

The truth is Police brutality in America is something which affects all races and it should not be a problem which is discussed from the perspective that it only affects one. There are many factors at play in such deaths. Screaming racism just because a cop was white and the victim black helps nobody and just fuels division. In fact some studies have even shown that there is more hesitation when a suspect is black given the reactions we have seen over the years.

The cop involved here was a c***, of that there is no doubt but the mainstream news media still had an obligation to report the facts, not lead with their biased agenda. They stoked the racist angle of this story just so they could feed into a political narrative. Thankfully George's family don't seem to want to do similarly.

It is also sickening to see the same media selectively report what has been going on these past few days. Gangs looting shops, women being robbed and punched in the face and churches being burned to the ground is not "protesting" - and as Obama said (when he had to deal with similar) those who do that are just 'thugs' and 'criminals'.

https://twitter.com/TruthBToldDe/status/1266533096448540672

You do when you actually look...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/14/18679598/facebook-hate-groups-law-enforcement-police-officers-racism-islamaphobia

Not to mention years of investigative journalism, research, stats, etc showing how unevenly applies our law enforcement is to minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Are you suggesting that watching a stranger dying is the same as seeing the death of somebody close to you?

Err yes i am.
    Are you suggesting that the only people who should be outraged by this killing should be only those who were close to him?

Are you suggesting that watching a stranger dying is the same as seeing the death of somebody close to you?

I guess it hits softer when the victim doesn’t look like someone close to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Yet the corruption and abuse of powers continue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Tribunal

I know, it still isn't comparable to people being killed on a regular basis in the USA no matter how much you try to convince people that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I know, it still isn't comparable to people being killed on a regular basis in the USA no matter how much you try to convince people that it is.

Its corruption nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Overheal wrote: »
    You do when you actually look...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/14/18679598/facebook-hate-groups-law-enforcement-police-officers-racism-islamaphobia

Not to mention years of investigative journalism, research, stats, etc showing how unevenly applies our law enforcement is to minorities.

Why did this website not expose instead of just talk about it. seems like rubbish

biko wrote: »
    Hong Kongers have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.

French yellow vests have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.

Sorry Biko but that’s false

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYpNcpKeDU

https://www.france24.com/en/20190316-looting-clashes-mark-most-violent-day-yellow-vest-protests-months

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3034221/hong-kong-man-jailed-looting-xiaomi-store-was-trashed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The current outrage in Irish policing is allot of the serving boys and girls seem to have been fiddling the books to get over paid.

The thing is police forces are supposed to be above reproach, when they start thinking they are entitled to one set of rules that differ from the rest of us mere mortals is when you get institutional abuse.

Look at the campaign against Maurice McCabe, one of their own who had the wherewithal to fight back so you can imagine if it was just a lay person.

I get what your trying to say things are not as bad in the states but they aren't all hunky dory either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Err yes i am.
    Are you suggesting that the only people who should be outraged by this killing should be only those who were close to him?

Err no I'm not.

There is a definite difference between empathising with a person's death and the emotional weight of losing a close relative or friend.

Outrage is a different thing altogether. I'm outraged at George Floyd's death, I haven't been personally affected by it however.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Its corruption nonetheless.

Is it police brutality though?

That is what you claimed.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Army deployed in DC.

°°°°°

I guess it hits softer when the victim doesn’t look like someone close to you

What are you implying?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Why did this website not expose instead of just talk about it. seems like rubbish

The verge is owned by vox media which is in turn owned by left leaning owners. I'm sure you can figure the rest out yourself.

Glazers Out!

https://twitter.com/KenidraRWoods_/status/1267508669652127745?s=20

****ing outraged.

Louisville will burn tonight and you won’t hear one bad word out of me about it. Sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I should not have to say this, but clearly one or two of you don't seem to care

However if you are incapable of being civil to one another then do not post. If you do not show self-restraint I will remove posting privileges

On a separate note, it's not a competition. We don't need to discuss police brutality in Ireland or looting in Hong Kong. This is about the death of an individual in the US and the consequences of that death

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

was just about to post that
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/independent-autopsy-george-floyd-findings-announced/story?id=70994827
    The independent examiners found that weight on the back, handcuffs and positioning were contributory factors because they impaired the ability of Floyd's diaphragm to function. The report concluded that Floyd, 46, died at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

****ing outraged.

Louisville will burn tonight and you won’t hear one bad word out of me about it. Sue me.

🙄

Danzy wrote: »
    🙄

Can I help you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Army deployed in DC.

About time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The bold text man has spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

****ing outraged.

Not surprising, we didn't hear a word out of you when the federal officer was shot to death the other night.

°°°°°

Not surprising, we didn't hear a word out of you when the federal officer was shot to death the other night.

All needless death is abhorrent, its a pity not everyone can agree on that point.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

****ing outraged.

You actually were criticizing others for their statements, while coming out with an infinitely worse, entirely less ambiguous statement "An entire city will burn and you won't hear one bad word about it from me".

The answer to injustice isn't senseless, rampant violence in which countless further innocent people of all colors are caught up, have their lives and livlihoods ruined, potentially even lives lost.

To be honest, you come across as entirely unhinged in this thread and attitudes like yours only make things worse.

• Advertisement

Yeah it probably would have sounded a lot like victim blaming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement