Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see the protest in Dublin thread was deleted....

Bizarre having a BLM protest in Ireland where we are nothing like the US and soft as fcuk anyway and they will and are walking all over us here....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I see the protest in Dublin thread was deleted....

Bizarre having a BLM protest in Ireland where we are nothing like the US and soft as fcuk anyway and they will and are walking all over us here....

I don’t understand why Dublin is involved either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Beasty wrote: »
    I should not have to say this, but clearly one or two of you don't seem to care

However if you are incapable of being civil to one another then do not post. If you do not show self-restraint I will remove posting privileges

On a separate note, it's not a competition. We don't need to discuss police brutality in Ireland or looting in Hong Kong. This is about the death of an individual in the US and the consequences of that death

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

This is all it takes folks, order restored, you should be over there helping out the US police force beasty :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

nullzero wrote: »
    All needless death is abhorrent, its a pity not everyone can agree on that point.

People are people. Doesn't matter what their background or color. Every death is terrible, especially those deaths that are so senseless to begin with.

Leaders of all political persuasions and colors recognise the injustice of what happend George Floyd and have spoken to the clear need for change, reform, reflection, and a better future.

Equally most have recognised that senseless violence and wanton destruction, of the very communities most affected by the death of George Floyd is not remotely productive nor the way to achieve it.

But you've still people in this thread who openly support entire cities being burned, further violence, death and destruction, and actually think they're supporting the memory of people like George Floyd.

Those people don't grasp the irony of the fact they're every bit as bad as the most radical, intolerant right wing, racist fascists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Overheal wrote: »

Louisville will burn tonight and you won’t hear one bad word out of me about it. Sue me.

What about the innocent people affected?
    Mask slipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Is trump speaking tonight?

Homelander wrote: »
    You actually were criticizing others for their statements, while coming out with an infinitely worse, entirely less ambiguous statement "An entire city will burn and you won't hear one bad word about it from me".

The answer to injustice isn't senseless, rampant violence in which countless further innocent people of all colors are caught up, have their lives and livlihoods ruined, potentially even lives lost.

To be honest, you come across as entirely unhinged in this thread and attitudes like yours only make things worse.

Maybe. Maybe it is an unhinged thing to say. I can’t say anything nicer about the murder though. I’m open to seeing the evidence, that’s about it atm. That he was a business owner, that I will reasonably assume he wasn’t rioting or looting, that he fed officers of his community, McAtee was evidently the poster child for reason this week: “don’t riot! Think of the business owners! Etc” and yet, blam, murdered by the police. So yes I more than understand why Louisville will riot tonight. I can’t say that it’s senseless. Grief will manifest.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Mask slipped.

What mask?

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mask slipped.

They can go jump, there is a presumption that everyone is from the same class as them.

The proles can eat cake, burnt cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Homelander wrote: »
    People are people. Doesn't matter what their background or color. Every death is terrible, especially those deaths that are so senseless to begin with.

Leaders of all political persuasions and colors recognise the injustice of what happend George Floyd and have spoken to the clear need for change, reform, reflection, and a better future.

Equally most have recognised that senseless violence and wanton destruction, of the very communities most affected by the death of George Floyd is not remotely productive nor the way to achieve it.

But you've still people in this thread who openly support entire cities being burned, further violence, death and destruction, and actually think they're supporting the memory of people like George Floyd.

Those people don't grasp the irony of the fact they're every bit as bad as the most radical, intolerant right wing, racist fascists.

No you just fail to understand that the racial tensions have once again reached boiling point in the USA.
    Peaceful protesting has done nothing for the thousands of racially motivated murders in the US every year.

This is the product of total lack of progress of, in your own words, change, reform, reflection, and a better future.

In a historical context this should not be hard to understand one bit and has been discussed in length. Peaceful protesting does not work in police states like the US.

How is it hard to grasp the concept that millions of people are so discriminated against and so fed up to the eyeballs that they will actually take a stand and fight for their freedom?

Yes the violence and looting is wrong but if you cannot grasp that this is the product of failed policy, systemic racism and lack of action on behalf of government then i dont know.

And no, people uniting against fascism and police are nowhere near the same thing as actual fascists.

• Advertisement

What mask?

Please explain.

You dont give a sh1t about people you dont agree with,actually you dont give a sh1t if Louisville burns.

How about answering my question instead of your usual bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I don’t understand why Dublin is involved either.

Ireland and the USA are world's apart, people are treated OK here bar one or two mullets, Black people in the States are frequent targets. Its an absolute chalk and cheese scenario. I believe this is rich v poor as much as black v white, its the constant stay in your place ism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

I see a load of companies (Sony Entertainment, Nike, Twitter, Netflix, Facebook, Warner, et al) coming out in support of the protests.

Its always a litmus test of which way things are going. Once corporations are swinging behind a movement, its because they know which the way the wind is blowing, and they dont want to be on the wrong side of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Increasing military police getting closer to protestors in DC.

Looks like they may be gearing up to clear the streets at 7 for the curfew despite the fact it's peaceful.

You dont give a sh1t about people you dont agree with,actually you dont give a sh1t if Louisville burns.

How about answering my question instead of your usual bullsh1t.

Of course I give a **** about people. And my country. Buildings aren’t people. Neither are Gucci purses and Nike shoes. Burning squad cars hurts yourself ultimately. But, nobody will listen until these things happen. They’ve tried.

I don’t understand what mask you are talking about though. I never pretended I didn’t understand that peace was never an option: they tried that, they kneeled, the demonstrated and were told again and again, and have been told so throughout history: “no! Not like that!”

I can’t in good conscience condemn anger that I feel just as equally.

Your question?

Tl;dr he WAS the innocent person affected. That’s my answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump about to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Trump about to speak.

Where?

Ireland and the USA are world's apart, people are treated OK here bar one or two mullets, Black people in the States are frequent targets. Its an absolute chalk and cheese scenario. I believe this is rich v poor as much as black v white, its the constant stay in your place ism.

If anything the impression I got was justice in Ireland was 2-tier and inconsistently applied and have agreed with reforms for a while. Justice worked for Eddie Halvey but definitely not others.

Of course I give a **** about people. And my country. Buildings aren’t people. Neither are Gucci purses and Nike shoes. Burning squad cars hurts yourself ultimately. But, nobody will listen until these things happen. They’ve tried.

I don’t understand what mask you are talking about though. I never pretended I didn’t understand that peace was never an option: they tried that, they kneeled, the demonstrated and were told again and again, and have been told so throughout history: “no! Not like that!”

I can’t in good conscience condemn anger that I feel just as equally.

pure garbage.
    Those buildings are owned by people,people struggling already because of Covid19,its not just going to be big corporations shops getting looted.

You carry on not giving 2 fcuks about innocent people affected by the riots like the good little lefty you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

pure garbage.
    Those buildings are owned by people,people struggling already because of Covid19,its not just going to be big corporations shops getting looted.

You carry on not giving 2 fcuks about innocent people affected by the riots like the good little lefty you are.

What about all the people and families struggling because their loved once are murdered without cause by police officers? Why do you value capital more than peoples lives? Why are you defending systemic racism?

pure garbage.

He WAS an innocent person affected by the riot!! David McAtee, hours ago, was a Business owner! Feeder of cops!

Some nerve on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Where?

Out of his rear end usually.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Why are you defending systemic racism?

Prove I am or keep your trap shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

sweet_trip wrote: »
    What about all the people and families struggling because their loved once are murdered without cause by police officers? Why do you value capital more than peoples lives? Why are you defending systemic racism?

That's not a fair comment at all.

That poster was highlighting that there is a human face to the damage caused by destruction of property.

Everyone is losing in this.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He WAS an innocent person affected by the riot!! David McAtee, hours ago, was a Business owner! Feeder of cops!

Some nerve on you!

Funny you dont care if the city burns and other are affected.
    Some nerve on me?:pac:
    You sit there all day today talking absolute ****e and then dont give a toss if people you dont like are hurt.
    You are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

tigger123 wrote: »
    I see a load of companies (Sony Entertainment, Nike, Twitter, Netflix, Facebook, Warner, et al) coming out in support of the protests.

Its always a litmus test of which way things are going. Once corporations are swinging behind a movement, its because they know which the way the wind is blowing, and they dont want to be on the wrong side of history.

Why wouldn't they? They're not endorsing riots and violence. They're endorsing protests, of which the vast majority are peaceful.

Now, for me, the most fascinating part of the whole affair for me is the automotive assumptions that are so persistent in the US that white-on-black incidents are somehow always racially motivated.

If Derek Chauvin had done the same thing to a white suspect, it wouldn't have made the news beyond county-level.

I mean, Derek Chauvin is a total sadistic POS, no doubt. But there's every possibility what he did arose from him simply being that POS, rather than it being anything to do with color or race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If watching a man die on screen has no real bearing on your emotions then i can only assume that you are as sociopathic, or racist, as the killer.

Seeing as you're interested in discussion, what is your opinion on the immigration and integration of black people into our own society?

Perhaps start a thread on integration in Ireland and I'll give my 2cs. This isn’t the place for that conversation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement