Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

dresden8 wrote: »
    Rioters looters and journalists are being targeted.

Tree. Rope. Journalist.

Some assembly required.

But I'm sure you never saw that.

Whats your solution?
    Let everyone run wild until it burns itself out?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pretty crazy for Trump to walk out of White House and head down the street on foot, lots of mounted hores and secret service in toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

OK. Honestly, watching CNN I was panicking a bit. They are acting like Trump just seized ultimate power and the only way out is mass uprising or we will all be shot in the street. But then I read that this has been done before during other riots so maybe its not that bad? I don't know what to think!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Whats your solution?
    Let everyone run wild until it burns itself out?

Actually talk to community leaders and find what can be done to appease both sides?

Wild I know. This will just keep happening until actual change happens in the police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,820 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump on the streets, showing no fear.

Finally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Be some craic if Putin or Ji Xinping called for an emergency session of the UNSC to condemn American oppression of its citizens.

Now that would be something else - does Putin have a twitter account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    OK. Honestly, watching CNN I was panicking a bit. They are acting like Trump just seized ultimate power and the only way out is mass uprising or we will all be shot in the street. But then I read that this has been done before during other riots so maybe its not that bad? I don't know what to think!

Step one is stop watching cnn and fox. Switch to Reuters or the associated press.

The first two deal in division and hate. The other two deal in news. And most importantly don't ever visit Twitter!

Christy42 wrote: »
    Actually talk to community leaders and find what can be done to appease both sides?

Wild I know. This will just keep happening until actual change happens in the police force.

Thats a good long term solution but right now its kinda out of control.
    Short term order needs to be restored.

Overheal wrote: »
    Finally?

Making a point, he didn't like the news coming out he was hiding in the cellar at the white house yesterday.

From what I saw he held up a bible up in front of a church and then the camera Cut away.

Will he actually go talk to the people outside his home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Offering to talk can be a good first step, get protestors to stop wanting to protest and it becomes harder to turn into a riot. Simply killing them will mean the actual cause gets forgotten (stop me if you have heard this one before).

Plus this is different to 92. This is across the US. Shooting some could just fan the flames elsewhere. You have to give some indication you are willing to listen at some point which Trump refuses to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

CNN is the centre-right version of the far-right Fox News, both dabble in hate, fear, and misinformation, CNN since 2013 and Fox since God knows when.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Making a point, he didn't like the news coming out he was hiding in the cellar at the white house yesterday.

And that's the only reason he did this. Ego was bruised by being called a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know what you are saying. It was a glib comment to make. But his death makes me irrationally angry.

That's absolutely understandable. It really is. It should never have happened. Same way Rodney King's attack shouldn't have happened and same way the officers shouldn't have been aquitted. But my mind also goes to Reginald Denny who was pulled out of his truck and beaten on live TV, including having a cinder block thrown on his head. And for what? Having the audacity to work and provide for his family. Imagine his children seeing that. Or how about the Koreans that had to end up protecting their businesses and livelihoods by literally having gunfights in the street, as David Joo had to do?

It's easy to sit here in Ireland and say you'll happily watch a city burn. But there's people in those cities. From all walks of life. Georges, Reginalds and Davids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Anger on this scale cannot be solved by force alone. Force alone may win this particular battle but this type of unrest is destined to continue unless the causes, which are complex, are dealt with.

We made a great show out of celebrating the 1916 rising 4 years ago, but what was it but a relatively small number of people taking to the streets, against wishes of the public, and causing massive disruption and loss of live.
    The uprising was dealt with by force quite easily but was the underlying problem solved?

I don't support the violence but when so many people are coming out risking serious injury or death to protest, there are serious issues.
    Some are undoubtedly hooligans looking to cause trouble but it would be a mistake to write off the majority of protestors in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That stunt will backfire badly. Will further anger the protesters.

I can tell you it hasn’t happened in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Jesus, watching the reuters from Washington DC, it's actually just awkward. One of them is tryin to get the officers to 'kneel' and then says 'we've been kneeling for 400 years. Kneel'.

joe40 wrote: »
    Anger on this scale cannot be solved by force alone. Force alone may win this particular battle but this type of unrest is destined to continue unless the causes, which are complex, are dealt with.

We made a great show out of celebrating the 1916 rising 4 years ago, but what was it but a relatively small number of people taking to the streets, against wishes of the public, and causing massive disruption and loss of live.
    The uprising was dealt with by force quite easily but was the underlying problem solved?

I don't support the violence but when so many people are coming out risking serious injury or death to protest, there are serious issues.
    Some are undoubtedly hooligans looking to cause trouble but it would be a mistake to write off the majority of protestors in that way.

It was the hamfisted way the Easter Rising rebels were treated that caused most Irish to sour on the establishment IPP and the British and defect to Sinn Fein in 1918.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Step one is stop watching cnn and fox. Switch to Reuters or the associated press.

Agreed and avoid MSNBC also, these 3 networks live for conflict and these days you rarely get anything out of them bar the usual cheer leading for their respective sides.

Twitter is what it is, a cesspit but its not as bad as you try and follow as many people with different political beliefs, sadly most lock themselves away in their little echo chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

So it looks like tear gas, flash bangs and rubber bullets were used on what seemed to me to be peaceful protestors just so the President could walk across the road to hold a bible in front of church for a photo op?

Not in the US it hasn't happened. But it has happened in the Middle East in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Short term order shouldn't have been lost.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Offering to talk can be a good first step, get protestors to stop wanting to protest and it becomes harder to turn into a riot. Simply killing them will mean the actual cause gets forgotten (stop me if you have heard this one before).

Plus this is different to 92. This is across the US. Shooting some could just fan the flames elsewhere. You have to give some indication you are willing to listen at some point which Trump refuses to do.

Cant disagree with any of this.
    Just right now I think the authorities over there have fcuked up so much that order needs to be restored before any dialogue can happen.
    Just for clarity I blame law enforcement for it getting to this stage(policing specifically)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

So it looks like tear gas, flash bangs and rubber bullets were used on what seemed to me to be peaceful protestors just so the President could walk across the road to hold a bible in front of church for a photo op?

That's my understanding and the media don't seem too happy with it either.

That was a ploy to his voter base. He is gone back into hiding.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Short term order shouldn't have been lost.

It shouldnt have been but it seems to have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It was the hamfisted way the Easter Rising rebels were treated that caused most Irish to sour on the establishment IPP and the British and defect to Sinn Fein in 1918.

Yes I know, the British authorities wanted to show strength and resolve to ensure it never happened again.
    That approach didn't work, in fact it never works outside of authoritarian dictatorships, and even then eventually fails quite often.

Not in the US it hasn't happened. But it has happened in the Middle East in 2011.

I don’t think these riots will morph into coup. I don’t think declaring martial law helps trump in November anyway.

I’m frankly surprised. He twisted some of the knife himself this week. Other presidents in modern history have been able to quell unrest with words. Trump needs an army. That’s not leadership. I would have thought someone who spends more time than most presidents listening to the media, and commenting on the world around him (and how he can make it about him), I would have thought he would have been able to emulate a human with a soul long enough to say the right thing and much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well I dont know how old you are but Google says the insurrection act was invoked in 1992 and 1989 for rioting. Thats within my lifetime anyway

• Advertisement

Obama, Bill Clinton, and George Bush should be making a joint statement together. They still have power of influence to lead, they need to speak up. 3 Presidents v One . The people will listen to them more so than Trump, they could call for calm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement