Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

First of all what happened to George Floyd was awful.

But all the looting and rioting has destroyed communities.

And to make things worse we have a generation of brats ignorant to the global pandemic. (protests in Dublin today)

Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,818 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well I dont know how old you are but Google says the insurrection act was invoked in 1992 and 1989 for rioting. Thats within my lifetime anyway

Sliiightly within mine. I didn’t know that thank you, my classic understanding was the military could not police on US soil short of martial law

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Well I dont know how old you are but Google says the insurrection act was invoked in 1992 and 1989 for rioting. Thats within my lifetime anyway

Trump people think history only began in 2016.

Obama, Bill Clinton, and George Bush should be making a joint statement together. They still have power of influence to lead, they need to speak up. 3 Presidents v One . The people will listen to them more so than Trump, they could call for calm.

No. It would be very counterproductive.

Obama already gave an editorial on Medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Trump people think history only began in 2016.

That's like people saying Obama people think the world ended in 2016.

What's the point in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

I said a few days ago that the US is a ****hole, i massively overestimated it. The last few days is like some cheap Steven Segal film.

Outside of the racist element, it is such a divided country, the states should just go independent and scrap the united states, have a clean start. Scrap the 2 party system, the 2 ultra tv channels and start again with health, social security services, policing, judiciary.

Trump holding the bible outside the church reminded me of the painting that george made in blackadder in the ww1 trenches lol

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Obama, Bill Clinton, and George Bush should be making a joint statement together. They still have power of influence to lead, they need to speak up. 3 Presidents v One . The people will listen to them more so than Trump, they could call for calm.

Trump and Obama are on the same page, both referred to rioters as thugs.

That's like people saying Obama people think the world ended in 2016.

What's the point in it

He maybe meant Trump people didn’t pay much attention to politics before Trump?

BoroMan32 wrote: »

And Biden wants them to be shot in the legs.

If this was Dublin or Cork, as usual Irish people would have a different response.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

I think that's unlikely but maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

I don’t think these riots will morph into coup. I don’t think declaring martial law helps trump in November anyway.

I’m frankly surprised. He twisted some of the knife himself this week. Other presidents in modern history have been able to quell unrest with words. Trump needs an army. That’s not leadership. I would have thought someone who spends more time than most presidents listening to the media, and commenting on the world around him (and how he can make it about him), I would have thought he would have been able to emulate a human with a soul long enough to say the right thing and much sooner.

He'll use these protests as the reason for a second wave of the virus but ignore the reopening of the states and the protests that occured there. The blame will be firmly affixed to the current scenes absolving him of any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

And Biden wants them to be shot in the legs.

They are all living in an ivory tower. How about that?

Yep exactly. They use words like unprecedented and surreal all the time, when it's usual not.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

If you listened to Andrew Cuomo you'd swear these protests were carried out by little old ladies holding candles.....

These people are blind to what's happening in their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

jesus christ hard to believe that press conference. riot sounds in the background and he's unleashing the military against his own people. this is going to get ugly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    It shouldnt have been but it seems to have been.

Seems?

Institutional racism re-inforced by a petulant egotistical man-child of a President.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

So it is not a race war I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

froog wrote: »
    jesus christ hard to believe that press conference. riot sounds in the background and he's unleashing the military against his own people. this is going to get ugly fast.

He's not though. He said if the rioting and looting doesn't stop then the military will deployed. Like I posted earlier, this has happened before. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

He's not though. He said if the rioting and looting doesn't stop then the military will deployed. Like I posted earlier, this has happened before. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
    Police once dropped a bomb on an African American community before in the 80s. Its going to be rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,054 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

CNN

'' Trump walked over to Church, and took a photo with his group, all white people, and only one woman''

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

biko wrote: »
    Hong Kongers have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.

French yellow vests have been on the streets protesting for over a year.
    No looting.
    nullzero wrote: »
    If you want an example of a justified protest against a genuinely inhumane regime that is it.
    You managed to be racist about African Americans and Chinese people in the same sentence without overtly mentioning either, cool.

If you listened to Andrew Cuomo you'd swear these protests were carried out by little old ladies holding candles.....

These people are blind to what's happening in their country.

This CNN bullsh1t activist journalism is half the problem..

They take people for absolute idiots too like..

Jesus Christ, the country is in flames, could you stop your divisive sh1te for a few days?..

So it looks like tear gas, flash bangs and rubber bullets were used on what seemed to me to be peaceful protestors just so the President could walk across the road to hold a bible in front of church for a photo op?

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1267599329134555136?s=21

Imagine this person is a journalist with 133k followers. The media is vicious and is feeding the hatred and division.

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1267601611272138752?s=20

This CNN bullsh1t activist journalism is half the problem..

They take people for absolute idiots too like..

Jesus Christ, the country is in flames, could you stop your divisive sh1te for a few days?..

That’s how others feel about Fox, and conservative talk radio. What goes around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

dresden8 wrote: »
    Seems?

Institutional racism re-inforced by a petulant egotistical man-child of a President.

Institutional racism in the USA has been around long before Trump and long after hes gone

That’s how others feel about Fox, and conservative talk radio. What goes around...

Yeah..exactly..

Trump is the American Slobadan Milosevic.

Shooting at the press ....pepper spraying a 9 yr old girl.

Putting kids in cages.

I have also noticed most of the people attacked by police seem to be the elderly or women.

Its one step further to rounding up people around the corner and shooting them.

• Advertisement

Yeah..exactly..

.. and you for sure know which of those entities has been fearmongering the longest.

Hint: not CNN. That’s just a fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement