Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

He will be reelected because of all this.

Yep.

And One thing I am pretty sure of now is that any rational debate in America on gun ownership is done for at least another generation. When the national guard is patrolling the streets because large armed police forces can't keep law and order then surely there is no argument left about law abiding citizens owning guns to protect themselves.

The cop shouldn't have kneeled on him when the guy was clearly struggling for air. That killed him. It's bigger now though. It is politicised. The behaviour of the rioters is there for all to see and the cities where it's happening are not controlled by Republican mayors or governors for the most part. This will hurt the Democrats in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Wut?

It's 1941, only this time with a class and race riots in the US and a right-wing government in power under Trump looking for somebody to blame. Why wouldn't they accuse the Soviets and the far-left communists to be behind the race riots and why wouldn't they ally with the Axis Powers (which include Japan) to fight said communists supposedly behind the riots? And considering Trump why wouldn't he accuse the Democrats and CNN for being Soviet spies or smh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

saw a few twitter posts earlier agreeing with destroying a christian (presumed protestant) church and the same users condemning protestors trying to attack a synagogue , these looting and riots have a hell of a lot of double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I mean, I presume you've looked at the videos and seen just how many white people were in there amongst it all looting and smashing and stealing, for example. Or the 20-something white girls practically queueing at chipping away on a Louis Vuitton window to get their hands on a nice bag to take home. They weren't there to protest, they don't give a fck about George Floyd, and they don't give a fck about BLM.

In the same way the far far greater number of black looters don't give a f*ck about George Floyd also. I agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Interesting graphic about roles within protests. Explains a lot of the videos, including the one Trump posted with the guy talking about getting picnic tables. He must have been trying to get people to help corral the street and block police.

I originally saved this for when we have protests like theirs here. It's probably only a matter of time.

514997.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

White house sources saying church stunt was pulled because Trump was upset because everyone knew about the bunker. That's why American citizens were cleared from the streets.

That's the level folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

White house sources saying church stunt was pulled because Trump was upset because everyone knew about the bunker. That's why American citizens were cleared from the streets.

That's the level folks.

source. Id be interested in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    In the same way the far far greater number of black looters don't give a f*ck about George Floyd also. I agree.

Saying "Far far grater number" is just a barefaced lie, and feels like a way for you to tar black people, which feels like your motive in general. The demographic of looters has been fairly mixed, with a very substantial % of them being white. This has been seen throughout, in all cities with looting. And there are countless videos out there already of black people stopping white people (a weirdly large number of them with skateboards) from smashing and looting. To avoid looking bigoted, I'd suggest actually educating yourself in more detail before speaking - again, there are countless videos out there already showing unprovoked police brutality, and infiltrating white people causing destruction. Like this; https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5Vx_eA6g8/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and this https://www.instagram.com/p/CA5UUrOD6dS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and this https://www.instagram.com/p/CA2nyjug2-L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link and this https://www.instagram.com/tv/CA1XCEXpYTa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

As mentioned back in my original post, looting and stealing are parts of groups 2 and 3 of my post above, and obviously should not be conflated with the vastly larger numbers of genuine protestors that make up group 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Domestic civil disorder, particularly racially-charged domestic civil disorder, is bad for the party in power, particularly in an election year. The incumbent party lost the presidency after the 1967-68 riots, after the 1980 Miami-Dade riots, after the 1992 Los Angeles riots. This will not help Trump; these riots are happening on his watch. US voters tend to rally to their government when there is an external threat, but to blame it when there is an internal threat.

Ronald Reagan's principal tactic in his (succcessful) run against incumbent Jimmy Carter in 1980 was to ask voters "Do you feel you're in a better position than you were four years ago? Do you feel your country is?" Biden can - and, I predict, will - use the same line against Trump the same question. Trump won by the skin of his teeth four years ago, at a time when he could still fool people who mistake reality TV for actual reality that he was at least semi-competent. After observing his management first of all of the CV19 pandemic and now of the rioting, fewer of them will buy that line. His campaign is in big trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

That's the level folks.
    The video of him holding the Bible is utterly bizarre.

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1267594813710446593

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Usually when sources is used in that context it means there is no credible source to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Why do you think they had the photo opportunity if not for the reason that Kermit suggested?

When I see videos of black people berating those who are black and in a uniform, attempting to degrade and put them down, it makes me sick. A fair few Americas tend to think black people cannot think for themselves and African Americans abhor any black person who does not agree with or share the majority opinion of the ethnicity. I admire the soldier's self-control.

https://twitter.com/BasedPoland/status/1267614078312296450

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

CNN :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

The video of him holding the Bible is utterly bizarre.

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1267594813710446593

From an Irish or generally a European perspective in 2020, it's bizarre and rather overly religious. Depending on which audience you're talking about in the US, that could be perceived very differently and seen as a positive, particularly by evangelicals who are part of Trumps target market.

Why do you think they had the photo opportunity if not for the reason that Kermit suggested?

No Im asking for the source in which they are paraphrasing. Did they get it from the white house or via a news site etc

CNN :pac:

could be vox too

Usually when sources is used in that context it means there is no credible source to back it up.
    If a reputable journalist says "White House sources" say X it means someone in the White House who is not willing to be named has said X. Whether that's true or not is a judgment you have to make, based on the journalist's record and reputation for accuracy and reliability.

If a pseudonymous poster on a message board like this says "White House sources" say X and doesn't link back to a reputable report attributing this to White House sources, you can pretty much discount that. It may be that WH sources are indeed being reported as saying X but the poster can't be bothered to link to that. Or it may be that he just made it up.

In this case, regardless of whether it comes from White House sources, the 'X' is totally credible. The suggestion that Trump left the White House to be photographed standing outside a church because he was sensitive about perceptions that he was cowering in the bunker makes complete sense. I wouldn't have thought you would need a "White House source" to confirm this; you could work it out for yourself.

From an Irish or generally a European perspective in 2020, it's bizarre and rather overly religious. Depending on which audience you're talking about in the US, that could be perceived very differently and seen as a positive, particularly by evangelicals who are part of Trumps target market.

It's bizarre, not because he's holding the Bible outside the church, which is a bit odd admittedly, but it's bizarre because it looks like he's never held a book before. He does everything weird.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure most audiences in the US will recognise that for the supreme awkwardness that it is. I don't think it's very "religious" at all, Trump is clearly uncomfortable when put in a religious setting or when he has to demonstrate some knowledge of his professed religion (talking about his favourite Bible verse being a previous example).

No Im asking for the source in which they are paraphrasing. Did they get it from the white house or via a news site etc

Oh aye. I'm not getting at that. I'm actually asking you straight out why you think it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If a reputable journalist says "White House sources" say X it means someone in the White House who is not willing to be named has said X. Whether that's true or not is a judgment you have to make, based on the journalist's record and reputation for accuracy and reliability.

If a pseudonymous poster on a message board like this says "White House sources" say X and doesn't link back to a reputable report attributing this to White House sources, you can pretty much discount that. It may be that WH sources are indeed being reported as saying X but the poster can't be bothered to link to that. Or it may be that he just made it up.

I agree, when it's used on an online discussion it generally means that there is legitimate source and it should be treated as such.

Well here's a source saying something similar;

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1267612338691211267

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's definitely doubling down on his strong racist evangelical base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Seems the bishop who's diocese it is in was very put out by Trump's use of the church as a photo op backdrop:

"Speaking on CNN, bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the episcopal diocese of Washington denounced the “abuse of sacred symbols for the people of faith in this country”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jun/01/george-floyd-protests-donald-trump-white-house-washington-police-brutality-minneapolis-latest-news-updates

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/02/mariann-budde-bishop-st-johns-trump-bible-photo-ac360-vpx.cnn

To be fair, it may also be targetted at appealing to moderate black political leadership, a signficant section of which also tends to be religiously-motivated or inspired, and who are generally dismayed by rioting and looting.

(Though, as the post immediately before me suggests, it may not succeed in this.)

He has nothing else though.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    To be fair, it may also be targetted at appealing to moderate black political leadership, a signficant section of which also tends to be religiously-motivated or inspired, and who are generally dismayed by rioting and looting.

(Though, as the post immediately before me suggests, it may not succeed in this.)
    Well it most definitely hasn't worked. Statement from the bishop over St. John's;

“I can’t believe what my eyes are seeing tonight...what on earth did we just witness? The abuse of sacred symbols...I don’t want President Trump speaking for St. John’s,” Budde said.
    “I am outraged,” she said, with pauses emphasizing her anger as her voice slightly trembled. “I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop, holding a Bible, one that declares that God is love and when everything he has said and done is to enflame violence."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

people forget that the US was founded by the pilgrims and if you've ever lived there, despite it's image of being a liberal society, it very much has a very straight moral backbone that harps back to the pilgrims. Every Presidents speech usually ends with God Bless America so religion still plays a huge role in its society and administration

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement