Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yup. They’re all Irish as the East River dyed green or a misty field in Connemara, be they right wing/left wing, religious/agnostics/atheists, straight/gay, particularly on any issue that involves Ireland and “the Brits” - Brexiteers, suggesting any aspect of Ireland be thrown under the bus, be warned!

That was my favourite part of the Brexit negotiations from a UK pov not understanding how they're fighting a losing battle if they fupp up the GFA or Ireland.

American politics can be a simple place distilled into the 3 I's- Ireland, Italy and Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Euronews saying Dublin having the biggest protest in years over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

That was my favourite part of the Brexit negotiations from a UK pov not understanding how they're fighting a losing battle if they fupp up the GFA or Ireland.

American politics can be a simple place distilled into the 3 I's- Ireland, Italy and Israel.

Not to mention that a lot of powerful democrats (notably both Clintons) as well plenty of influential republicans played a very fundamental role in the GFA. Unraveling it would be a huge blow to what is seen as one of the the bright points and positives aspects and a warm and friendly aspect of American foreign policy (and let’s face it there aren’t that many of those) and a part of several hugely influential political figures personal political legacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

NY Police Union(the Sergeants Benevolent Association),gets suspended from twitter for releasing details of Chiara De Blasio's arrest. (Bill's daughter)

In the post, the union asked how police officers could protect New Yorkers from “rioting anarchists” when “the mayor’s object-throwing daughter is one of them.”

Bill DeBlasio "I admire that she was out there trying to change something she thought was unjust.”

The police seem to be getting it from all sides and Trump's speech as much as I agree with the methods, the delivery has surely only made things worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/nyregion/chiara-de-blasio-arrest.html

2u2me wrote: »
    NY Police Union(the Sergeants Benevolent Association),gets suspended from twitter for releasing details of Chiara De Blasio's arrest. (Bill's daughter)

In the post, the union asked how police officers could protect New Yorkers from “rioting anarchists” when “the mayor’s object-throwing daughter is one of them.”

Bill DeBlasio "I admire that she was out there trying to change something she thought was unjust.”

The police seem to be getting it from all sides and Trump's speech as much as I agree with the methods, the delivery has surely only made things worse.

If i commented on twitter anything about my employer without permission, I'd expect to be fired. He's lucky he's only banned from Twitter.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Euronews saying Dublin having the biggest protest in years over this.

This kind of international support certainly could have helped Hong Kong(when there was no pandemic), but what good can it do in this situation?. Perhaps make us feel better about ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Potentially very serious incident in New York. Ignore the caption about dead right now.

A jeep hit some cops on the road firing tear gas and kept going and drove away. I can't see the other side of the road to see if it was a deliberate act? From this one side of the road it looked intentional?

https://twitter.com/YousefNH2/status/1267637687554650112

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If i commented on twitter anything about my employer without permission, I'd expect to be fired. He's lucky he's only banned from Twitter.
    The Police Union are not employees of the Police Department. The Union is independent of the employer; that's kind of the point of unions.

I suspect if an individual officer can be identified as having leaked the arrest report to the union, he will be disciplined. The union says that it was not leaked to them by any officer, but that a screenshot of the arrest report was tweeted by a Daily Mail reporter, and that's how they found out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

On tonight's episode of "who is sh*ttier, Xi or Trump?" we see Donald claw some points back on his rivals Hong Kong exploits by threatening to call in the military, and opening up some distance in another area by labelling all the protestors as terrorists.

It seems there is only room for "very fine people on both sides" when one of those sides involves attendees of a neo nazi march supporting him unquestioningly.

Potentially very serious incident in New York. Ignore the caption about dead right now.

In my mind -no question deliberate. There are rows of cops with guns shooting, the only person driving a car in that situation is doing it on purpose, especially under curfew.

That is a warzone. Trump's speech will go down in history as what not to say in a crisis. Exasperates the protestors, which makes it more difficult for the police/soldiers.

• Advertisement

She didn't identify herself as the mayor's daughter either (well, until she gave her address) but it was clear that this coming out was an attempt to besmirch Bill. Idiots.

All the peaceful protests have almost 100% support (bar the usual conservative sources), even among the media which is something. So anything that tries to make it out that a peaceful protestor was up to no good or using it politically is going to fall flat on its ass.

The right have attempted to conflate the riots and looting with the protests and usually they succeed, but Trump's call with the governor's and then his address and then the photo op has killed that plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

This kind of international support certainly could have helped Hong Kong(when there was no pandemic), but what good can it do in this situation?. Perhaps make us feel better about ourselves.

I think, unfortunately, it comes down to perception of cultural proximity, connectedness and parallels. Something in the USA will tend to register here far more than something in Asia.

It’s not out of lack of empathy. It’s just that we are far more aware of what’s going on in the USA and have huge degrees of familial ties to the place.

I could see Hong Kong having a lot more resonance in the U.K. for exactly the same reasons. They’ve much more connection to it than they do to the USA.

The scale and accessibility of US media also tends to mean what happens there gets seen. Hong Kong was largely being covered by international correspondents and not getting anything like this level of coverage anywhere really.

Anyone watching CNN, that's some title Gen. Clark has.
    Former Supreme Allied Commander NATO Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

In my mind -no question deliberate. There are rows of cops with guns shooting, the only person driving a car in that situation is doing it on purpose, especially under curfew.

That is a warzone. Trump's speech will go down in history as what not to say in a crisis. Exasperates the protestors, which makes it more difficult for the police/soldiers.

Crazy place right now, it is like something you see in a movie with guys in military gear on the streets and dogs barking in residential areas.We have to wait and see what the driver intention was when he is caught.

Hundreds of people are looting stores down 5th avenue in New York. You can watch videos online now. Microsoft store saw one video least 20 to 30 people going in and out of the store with goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,814 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't know. Tucker Carlson is poison

But he’s no traitor. A vile frat boy trust fund baby, yes.

Crazy place right now, it is like something you see in a movie with guys in military gear on the streets and dogs barking in residential areas.We have to wait and see what the driver intention was when he is caught.

National Guard already on the streets of LA.

Perhaps but you have to remember that when it's comes to these things, people can only compute what's culturally close to them.

The protests in HK were on going when I transited 4 times there between two trips to the RWC in Japan. I was even flying with Cathay Pacific and the protests didn't blip onto my radar!

I'm not saying I was ignorant about them, I'm a voracious news sponge, so you can see how it drops off for us over this side of the world pretty easily.

It doesn't help that people are less likely to understand "why they're happening". The protests in the US are pretty straightforward.

Extradition law between 2 parts of China vs. dead black man as a result of police racism?

There's only going to be one winner here when it comes to newsworthiness and our likelihood to join in protests.

I mean, haven't Falun Gong been protesting outside the PRC embassy for nearly 2 decades now? Does anyone know? I can't recall the last time I saw anything about it.

The old adage is something like, 1 dead Englishman = 10 dead Frenchmen = 1000 dead Chinese [sic].

bb12 wrote: »
    dunno why trump was angered at people finding out he was taken to the bunker. normal procedure when the white house is under threat. and by the images shown last night, what went on outside the white house was completely out of control. anybody who thought there wouldn't be a strong response after that fiasco must be very dumb. you can't have people throwing molotov cocktails outside the seat of government without any fear of reprisals.

do you think the gardai would stand idly by if people went nuts outside leo's residence? look at what they did to the shannon protestors.

plus all those protestors complaining about being moved on in washington tonight knew there was a curfew setting in at 7pm and they were still outside protesting 10 mins before. they had no intention of dispersing.

Perhaps not mad about being taken down but finding out it became the focus of ridicule.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Im seeing lots of clips on twitter of black people stopping white people from destroying and looting businesses...saw one earlier of a black girl giving bricks back to a group of whites who were handing them out to black males

She was a class act. The girl she was screaming at giving out the bricks and her compatriots in the car looked like antifa members.

Possibly it was staged but looks legit.

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1267432104075370496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1267432104075370496&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnewsone.com%2F3952056%2Fblack-woman-curses-white-people-having-brick-to-throw%2F

You'd be quite taken aback by it.

I was once asked to say grace at a dinner table and when I explained I wouldn't know where to start, not being religious I was greeted to a stunned silence and then the Irish-American host went on a rather weird rant at me about how I obviously wasn't 'real Irish' and then started off on a lecture about 'how would you know right from wrong if you don't believe in God'.

Thanked them for dinner, got up and left as I felt about as welcome as a bad smell. Got some perfuse apology trying to convince me to stay, but I really wasn't in the mood. You don't insult someone you've invited for dinner and expect them to just hang around. Didn't bother getting in touch with them ever again.

It can be great, but it can also be a bit like Ireland circa about 1950 on some of those topics and I'm not even convinced Ireland was ever that pious, more oppressed by the powers that were.

Religious Americans can be... very incongruent with what you’d expect to be modern sensibilities about religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ever heard of photo-ops, how they're used in politics and what kind of people they're aimed at?

You (and others) keep posting this 'photo-op' nonsense to try and undermine everything that Trump has done for the black community as President, just so you can keep the narrative going that he hates black people. It's nonsense because so much of what he has done has involved actions being taken which go far and above him merely posing for photos, including the drafting of legislation and the signing of bills. It's also hugely insulting to black people who have been involved in these things as it suggests that they are fools who couldn't tell they were just being used.

One of the first things Trump did when he came to office was sign an executive order to make funding historically black colleges and universities a priority for is administration:

He has followed up on that promise numerous times since also, most recently in December last:
    Trump Signs Bill Restoring Funding for Black Colleges

President Donald Trump on Thursday signed a bipartisan bill that will permanently provide more than $250 million a year to the nation's historically black colleges and universities, along with dozens of other institutions that serve large shares of minority students.

In signing the bill, Trump said historically black schools have “never had better champions in the White House."

“When I took office, I promised to fight for HBCUs, and my administration continues to deliver,” Trump said. "A few months ago, funding for HBCUs was in jeopardy. But the White House and Congress came together and reached a historic agreement.”

Michael Lomax, president and CEO of the United Negro College Fund, thanked President Trump and the thousands of advocates who lobbied Congress to support the bill.

The bill restores $255 million in annual funding that lapsed Sept. 30 after Congress failed to renew it. Facing an end to the funding, some schools had started planning for deep cuts, with some telling staff their jobs or programs would be eliminated.

Seems a lot of trouble to go to for a "photo op" and the same goes when it comes to pardoning people like Alice Johnson:

Long before Trump ran for president he also went out of his way to help Jessie Jackson's Wall St Project by not only supporting it and attending their workshops, but by also giving them free office space on Wall St:

He also helped Jennifer Hudson when her mother and brother were murdered, helped a young black boxer who had very little who was down in his luck, gave a black bus driver $10,000 after he saw on a news report that he he had saved a man's life who was suicidal and paid of a black guy's mortgage who came to his mother's aid when she was mugged:
    trump-lh.png

Imagine this person is a journalist with 133k followers. The media is vicious and is feeding the hatred and division.

And not just feeding it with truth either, that you could at least understand, but these people are actively lying about him for political gain. They clearly want people to see Trump as a racist as the truth is of no use to them. It's why even members of congress lie about him. Ilhan Omar for example saying he wants every black and brown person deported.

Sadly though, and as is clearly evident, these people have been quite successful at convincing the world that Trump is an out and out racist who wouldn't care about black people being killed. The lies, no matter how audacious, are believed. The venom with which people speak his name, even here in Ireland, is incredulous. Not suggesting the man is perfect, far from it in fact, or even a great President, but he's not remotely the man, or indeed the President, which many would have him believed to be.

Look the guy is no Hitler but he definitely has racist tendencies. I notice you gaslit that, arguing against him being a racist nazi more or less, and not our racist uncle, which he basically is.

You (and others) keep posting this 'photo-op' nonsense to try and undermine everything that Trump has done for the black community as President, just so you can keep the narrative going that he hates black people...

[MASSIVE WALL OF WHATABOUTERY]

...or indeed the President, which many would have him believed to be.

Oh God. The PTSD that follows an Outlaw Pete wall of text is real. I have not missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Outlaw Pete, why did Trump go to the church? Why did he not speak to the diocese or anybody FROM that church before doing so?

Overheal wrote: »
    Look the guy is no Hitler but he definitely has racist tendencies. I notice you gaslit that, arguing against him being a racist nazi more or less, and not our racist uncle, which he basically is.

On the other hand .. :)

https://twitter.com/erikalovesyaa/status/1267652812172910598?s=21

Okay new concession: he’s our racist uncle that sure did admire the PR Adolf was into. Did Stephen Miller make him do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I worked with very religious Americans in southern California who had zero issue with my open atheism. People whose lives centred around their church and who went on missions and things. Generalising too much to say they're all reactionary idiots.

The guy ranting at the dinner table is funny. That's exaggerated Irish nationalism combined with a poor understanding of what Ireland and irishness is. When I was in NH I encountered a lot of bizarrely ignorant attitudes like that. The weirdest was probably when a guy said "You don't get stuff like this in the old country!" as he clamped an illegally parked car.

Overheal wrote: »
    On the other hand .. :)

https://twitter.com/erikalovesyaa/status/1267652812172910598?s=21

Okay new concession: he’s our racist uncle that sure did admire the PR Adolf was into. Did Stephen Miller make him do this?

The comparison might be easier to make if twitter was around in 1945.

I worked with very religious Americans in southern California who had zero issue with my open atheism. People whose lives centred around their church and who went on missions and things. Generalising too much to say they're all reactionary idiots.

The guy ranting at the dinner table is funny. That's exaggerated Irish nationalism combined with a poor understanding of what Ireland and irishness is. When I was in NH I encountered a lot of bizarrely ignorant attitudes like that. The weirdest was probably when a guy said "You don't get stuff like this in the old country!" as he clamped an illegally parked car.

Can you quote the post here that suggested that all Americans are as you put it reactionary idiots?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The comparison might be easier to make if twitter was around in 1945.

Well he didn’t have to fight a free press either so there are definitely going to be differences on how anyone could hope to PR as an authoritarian

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement