Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stateofyou wrote: »
    A Twitter account that tweeted a call to violence and claimed to be representing the position of "Antifa" was in fact created by a known white supremacist group, Twitter said Monday. The company removed the account.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/antifa-fake-twitter-account/index.html

Not the first time "antifa" material faked by alt right types.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I'm not going to spend my morning teaching you and educating you about systemic racism and police brutality. Spend your own time on that, you obviously have internet and an ability to read what you find. Do your own work. It's also been talked about here already on this thread so read back. I'm not going to waste my time perpetually regurgitating information and doing work that you should be more than capable of doing on your own, if you cared to.

He could probably say the exact same thing to you, no? Tell you to do your research on the crime levels in black areas or how a white cop is the least likely colour cop to kill a black man. I read a report at the weekend which described the killing of George Floyd by "four white officers"...which I found bizarre since only two of them were Caucasian.

How about everybody stop regurgitating half truths and try to learn something from others? Self righteousness on the internet is a plague.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

A Twitter account that tweeted a call to violence and claimed to be representing the position of "Antifa" was in fact created by a known white supremacist group, Twitter said Monday. The company removed the account.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/antifa-fake-twitter-account/index.html

well thats it then, case closed .
    ALL the Black Live Matters protestors (not rioters) and the white Antifa protestors (not rioters) are ALL engaged in peaceful protest .
    And a bunch of white boys , some of whom are in blackface (have the PC police been informed of this act of cultural appropriation), are rioting, burning cop cars, looting buisness and encouraging others to do so.

Just as this heinous crime by that cop is not evidence of systemic racism in the police force, one twitter account is not evidnece of broad white-supremist stoking the flames of these riots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

"Work", "education"....smh would you ever give over.

How about you educate yourself on what the word 'systemic' means.

There is no system of racism in the US, there are only people who subjectively decide what is racist and what is not.

Ah would ya just give over disagreeing with me, life would just be so much easier if you didn't! LOL.

That part in bold is literally so ironic. You talk about cops working over a long weekend, asking how that is systemic racism, showing you literally have NO idea what it refers to. It's starting at the basics with you, and there is no way I'm wasting my time on that sh*t when clearly you haven't spent any. Do your own work first. Ask clarifying questions later. If it's something you want to know more about, spend some time on google, it's not that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

pjohnson wrote: »
    Not the first time "antifa" material faked by alt right types.

Are the right faking driving over police officers, was that cop shot dead in Nevada tonight a right wing hoax too

https://mobile.twitter.com/Roya1ty11/status/1267686801340235776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You can't trust much on Twitter outside of people you know personally and verified accounts. Sockpuppets are very common. I have it on good account that local politicans and political party figures have boasted about using them. Some cheerleaders for certain businesses seem almost certain to be the same.

Capra wrote: »
    He could probably say the exact same thing to you, no? Tell you to do your research on the crime levels in black areas or how a white cop is the least likely colour cop to kill a black man. I read a report at the weekend which described the killing of George Floyd by "four white officers"...which I found bizarre since only two of them were Caucasian.

How about everybody stop regurgitating half truths and try to learn something from others? Self righteousness on the internet is a plague.

I have, and in fact I've taken my time to study it in college there and also through racial training. I've already talked about it here. I'm not going to waste my time saying the same **** over and over because someone is too lazy to look into it themselves. I spend a bit of time on this most days. Seeking to learn, understand, ask questions, read... it's not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Social distancing should have been observed, and it's crazy it wasn't. But the protest happened because racism doesn't stop at the US borders. The effects and reality of that to different degrees with different history's in countries all over the world is why there are supporting protests here and elsewhere.
    Covid doesn’t know colour. A March of over 1,000 shouldn’t have happened. It gives he fingers to the many people out of work to Covid and the many people who haven’t been able to see family members in 11 weeks.

• Advertisement

You can't trust much on Twitter outside people you know personally and verified accounts. Sockpuppets are very common. I have it on good account that local politicans and political party figures have boasted about using them. Some cheerleaders for certain businesses seem almost certain to be the same.

Hoaxes and fake accounts are definitely a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

vladmydad wrote: »
    Are the right faking driving over police officers, was that cop shot dead in Nevada tonight a right wing hoax too

https://mobile.twitter.com/Roya1ty11/status/1267686801340235776

Quickkkk, somebody found something bad about the right. Best remind them of something else.

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Trump's leadership

Under-the-Bed-copy.jpg

@realdonaldtrump #me #myself #I #presidential

ted1 wrote: »
    Covid doesn’t know colour. A March of over 1,000 shouldn’t have happened. It gives he fingers to the many people out of work to Covid and the many people who haven’t been able to see family members in 11 weeks.

I do agree with this. The issue of racism seems to be a perfect storm right now though BECAUSE of the Covid and the difficulties being experienced by that, particularly in the US. It seems it's boiled over now.

Ah would ya just give over disagreeing with me, life would just be so much easier if you didn't! LOL.

That part in bold is literally so ironic. You talk about cops working over a long weekend, asking how that is systemic racism, showing you literally have NO idea what it refers to. It's starting at the basics with you, and there is no way I'm wasting my time on that sh*t when clearly you haven't spent any. Do your own work first. Ask clarifying questions later. If it's something you want to know more about, spend some time on google, it's not that hard.

Think you mixed me up with another poster. No worries.

My point still stands however. There is no system of racism in the US, there are only people who subjectively decide what is racist and what is not.

Think you mixed me up with another poster. No worries.

My point still stands however. There is no system of racism in the US, there are only people who subjectively decide what is racist and what is not.

I'm almost speechless. There's no polite way to say this... it's just an outrageously ignorant thing to say. Tell me this. Have you lived in the US? What is your relationship or history with the US? Do you have friends who are people of colour who have been affected and live this daily, as did their parents/grandparents/ancestors (rhetorical question, clearly you have no black/POC American friends) What studies have you done or have you looked at (that's also a rhetorical question, clearly, none)? You're painfully unaware and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I do agree with this. The issue of racism seems to be a perfect storm right now though BECAUSE of the Covid and the difficulties being experienced by that, particularly in the US. It seems it's boiled over now.

Yep, but unfortunately the march alienated many people and I actually increased racism in Ireland. Many people are pissed off with those who marched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

I have, and in fact I've taken my time to study it in college there and also through racial training.

You've been indoctrinated. It will be a long road back.

I'm almost speechless. There's no polite way to say this... it's just an outrageously ignorant thing to say. Tell me this. Have you lived in the US? What is your relationship or history with the US? Do you have friends who are people of colour who have been affected and live this daily, as did their parents/grandparents/ancestors (rhetorical question, clearly you have no black/POC American friends) What studies have you done or have you looked at (that's also a rhetorical question, clearly, none)? You're painfully unaware and it shows.

Wow, your condescending tone really persuades me to your point of view.

Sorry but anecdotal evidence does not equate to a system of racism.

I've spent short periods of time and have my own anecdotes, catching an attempted pickpocket on me by a black guy in NYC, being subject to hostility by a latino cop. I don't make the assumption that these isolated incidents amount to anything larger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Euronews saying Dublin having the biggest protest in years over this.

Fcuking muppets. Putting our transition out of this virus in jeopardy so they can protest about something on a different continent where the guy in charge doesn't even care about his own wife let alone what some idiot walking around ballsbridge has to say. The clown who organised it on the radio yesterday saying how amazing it was to see peoples appetite for change. Its hard to quantify how stupid that train of thought is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I have, and in fact I've taken my time to study it in college there and also through racial training. I've already talked about it here. I'm not going to waste my time saying the same **** over and over because someone is too lazy to look into it themselves. I spend a bit of time on this most days. Seeking to learn, understand, ask questions, read... it's not that difficult.

Okay, so is it the racism that is the biggest factor in these killings or the fact that the US seems to have no process for vetting cops for suitability of temperament? Like there are multiple videos of panicked/psychotic cops killing people of all colours too in what would appear to be total over reactions. The killing of Daniel Shaver is one of the worst things I've ever seen yet I don't remember seeing much outrage about that. There are consistently about double the amount of white people killed by police in the USA than black people. Considering that the vast majority of crime is not carried out by white people then surely through a selective reading of statistics one could argue that police are targeting whites?

Or is that too simplistic? Maybe we should try to balance the arguments somewhat?

In my opinion the argument that it's all due to racism is very weak. The argument that American society is so fractured and broken on every level is much stronger. Plenty of white trailer parks have exactly the same social issues and crime as housing projects in the ghettos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Christy42

Wait so they sprayed peaceful protestors with tear gas so Trump could have a promo video?

This is not exactly helping the police image right now. Surely if you are complaining about the violent protests you are meant to be nice to the peaceful ones.

As Trump said he is on the side of peaceful protestors. Unless he needs a photo op I guess.

Edit: even better it was done for a promo video in a church.

Nermal wrote: »
    You've been indoctrinated. It will be a long road back.

Yeah, and I'm proud of what I LEARNED. Long way to go for you buddy.

Alright friends, I'm out of this crazy thread to enjoy the day. The attitudes here and unwillingness to learn and do the harder work to dig deeper and understand what is happening in the US with regards to systemic racism is the reason why it's still such a big problem today. A lack of education and genuine care to find out more and get to the root by some in the US is also why we're still here. The apathy. The covert and overt racism. Talk just up above of needing to be "persuaded" to care more about what is going on. FFS
    If it were reversed how p'd off would we be if black/poc folk denied our reality even, especially when the evidence and research is easily there to be learned. When I lived in the US and my workplace provided racial training, I sat in a group with the company CEO and my boss (both black). Other colleagues of mine were there too, both black and white. What we saw, heard, learned was eye opening. It deeply affected me to see my friends who I had really come to care for having their lives so fundamentally affected by this, and I just didn't know the extent, their reality. I will never forget their stories or their reality or what I learned there.
    God forbid we let the teaching of history on our own island slide, and how would any of us feel if British people denied what actually happened and how it impacted us here. What if instead of the peace agreement we have they occupied further and we had British police brutality against the Irish instead of healing. The talk of enforced borders with the north leads to worries and claims that things would erupt into violence again. There really hasn't been peace and equity for indigenous and black people in the US. It's just changed throughout time.
    Anyway I'm out. Hope you all enjoy the nice weather being served up today.

Wow, your condescending tone really persuades me to your point of view.

Sorry but anecdotal evidence does not equate to a system of racism.

I've spent short periods of time and have my own anecdotes, catching an attempted pickpocket on me by a black guy in NYC, being subject to hostility by a latino cop. I don't make the assumption that these isolated incidents amount to anything larger though.

Short periods of time... your holiday in Vegas or Brooklyn or brief work trip was it? ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

RIGOLO wrote: »
    well thats it then, case closed .
    ALL the Black Live Matters protestors (not rioters) and the white Antifa protestors (not rioters) are ALL engaged in peaceful protest .
    And a bunch of white boys , some of whom are in blackface (have the PC police been informed of this act of cultural appropriation), are rioting, burning cop cars, looting buisness and encouraging others to do so.

Just as this heinous crime by that cop is not evidence of systemic racism in the police force, one twitter account is not evidnece of broad white-supremist stoking the flames of these riots.
    I had my suspicions that these riots might be orchestrated, how often do you see the anti Trump mainstream media almost gleefully report violence?
    www.rt.com/usa/490444-bricks-appear-mysteriously-cities-riots/

Short periods of time... your holiday in Vegas or Brooklyn or brief work trip was it? ffs.

4 months on a J1 in NYC as well as a few holidays here and there. Never lived there permanently but the J1 was a bit of an eye opener considering I was the only white guy where I worked.

Alright friends, I'm out of this crazy thread to enjoy the day. The attitudes here and unwillingness to learn and do the harder work to dig deeper and understand what is happening in the US with regards to systemic racism is the reason why it's still such a big problem today. A lack of education and genuine care to find out more and get to the root by some in the US is also why we're still here. The apathy. The covert and overt racism. Talk just up above of needing to be "persuaded" to care more about what is going on. FFS
    If it were reversed how p'd off would we be if black/poc folk denied our reality even, especially when the evidence and research is easily there to be learned. When I lived in the US and my workplace provided racial training, I sat in a group with the company CEO and my boss (both black). Other colleagues of mine were there too, both black and white. What we saw, heard, learned was eye opening. It deeply affected me to see my friends who I had really come to care for having their lives so fundamentally affected by this, and I just didn't know the extent, their reality. I will never forget their stories or their reality or what I learned there.
    God forbid we let the teaching of history on our own island slide, and how would any of us feel if British people denied what actually happened and how it impacted us here. What if instead of the peace agreement we have they occupied further and we had British police brutality against the Irish instead of healing. The talk of enforced borders with the north leads to worries and claims that things would erupt into violence again. There really hasn't been peace and equity for indigenous and black people in the US. It's just changed throughout time.
    Anyway I'm out. Hope you all enjoy the nice weather being served up today.

You come across as a well meaning but naive person. Blue pilled to the hilt though.

4 months on a J1 in NYC as well as a few holidays here and there. Never lived there permanently but the J1 was a bit of an eye opener considering I was the only white guy where I worked.

Thought so. Anyway, yeah it's more than a bit of an eye opener when you work and live within such diversity. I think part of the issue here and there in the US is people not living or working among any diversity whatsoever and not being exposed to different realities or knowledge. Okay, really I'm out. The garden won't water itself these days. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

is it time to change the thread title. which is very inflammatory. given the latest information coming out from the coronor..

its now appears that george floyd died from a heart attack. blood work shows fentaynl,metamphetamine and signs of heart disease. as well as a history of cocaine abuse..these were all contributory factors in his death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement