Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Where are your facts to support this claim?

One page back:

Facts:
    this paper provides robust evidence that black male federal arrestees ultimately face longer prison terms than whites arrested for the same offenses with the same prior record
    source: https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi...ntext=articles

The way CNN are politicising this is just in such poor taste..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

i'm still struggling with this, there is only one side crying racism here.
    The cop has been charged with murder, he wasn't wearing a pillow case on his head or shouting racist remarks,
    he just happened to be white and made a horrendous error of judgement, and the perp happened to be black.
    This doesn't make it racist, just poor policing if it's proved it's 100% his fault as that's inconclusive at present.

But it makes for a great narrative....

I agree with you.....Chauvin may or may not be racist....his actions cannot prove or disprove.....I reckon he does that no matter what

There was a real nasty defiance in that man...

Had there been no persons challenging and berating him, (before anyone jumps in, I am not laying any blame on the bystanders) he likely doesn't do what he did. He was telling them to go eff themselves....I am the boss. I will do as I please attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The way CNN are politicising this is just in such poor taste..

In what way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Boggles wrote: »
    It's not just America though, it's all Western countries.

Something bad happens in France or New Zealand or Canada, other western countries feel it more acutely for the reasons you outlined.

A drone strike on a wedding in Pakistan on the off chance a person of interest is at it. Meh. That ain't trending, I ain't interested.
    Or the follow up strikes on the funeral of the victims of the wedding, just in case Obama king of peace didn't get them the first time round. There's a type of casual racism in the media and the readers in support for NATO bringing democracy to Libya and Syria. As long as someone sounds eloquent when killing people, they're largely cool with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

walshb wrote: »
    But it makes for a great narrative....

I agree with you.....Chauvin may or may not be racist....his actions cannot prove or disprove.....I reckon he does that no matter what

There was a real nasty defiance in that man...

Had there been no persons challenging and berating him, (before anyone jumps in, I am not laying any blame on the bystanders) he likely doesn't do what he did. He was telling them to go eff themselves....I am the boss. I will do as I please attitude.

agree 100% i just think he was a so and so and would have done the same to a white person.
    Apparently he was a hot head as security aswell pepper spraying people for no reason.
    but all this #blacklivesmatter and #blackculturematters
    well of course it does, it has done for along long time.
    If it could be better, then protest peacefully and intelligently,
    run for local elections ect, not looting and shooting !

The cop has been charged with murder, he wasn't wearing a pillow case on his head or shouting racist remarks,
    he just happened to be white and made a horrendous error of judgement, and the perp happened to be black.
    This doesn't make it racist, just poor policing if it's proved it's 100% his fault as that's inconclusive at present.

Why would two sides be crying racism in any event? Surely the racists wouldn't be labelling themselves as such?
    Can you show me multiple videos of similiar happening to white people?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

i'm still struggling with this

Given your username, that's hardly a massive shock is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

This is the best addition to the debate you can provide ?
    The mind boggles

• Advertisement

This is the best addition to the debate you can provide ?
    The mind boggles

It's a the very reason not to start a "debate" with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah now why you dislike Hamilton so much makes sense! Got it.

If you mean F1's Hamiliton then it could simply be down to fact he appears to be a grade A ar**hole plain and simple.
    And I have found ar**holes come in all shades and colours.
    BTW I would have considered Schumacker to be one as well.

Ah come on an error in judgement would have been if he did it initially and then realising the guy couldn't breath he got off him.

Instead he stayed on him and by the looks of it Floyd was unresponsive for the last few minutes he had his knee on his throat.
    That doesn't sound like error of judgement, it sounds more like he couldn't give a flying fook about the guy.

Now that maybe down to fact he is a racist bast*** or he could just be a bast***.

Either way he deserves to be charged with murder.
    Now they appear to be charging him with 3rd degree murder, or I guess the equivalent to our manslaughter which I often reckon is a cop out.
    No pun intended.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

In fairness he makes a valid point and one I made earlier.

Derek Chauvin is clearly a terrible cop and questions should be rightfully raised about every aspect of his being one, that this could happen.

But it automatically became a racist issue even though there's no evidence of racism whatsoever in the incident.

Just police brutality. If George Floyd had been white - or the cop had been black - it'd never have made it beyond local news in that county.

There's an automatic leap to racism in these things even where there's nothing whatsoever to support that claim.

You see it all the time. "It's because I'm black" when in most cases it's absolutely nothing to do with the person being black.

Was George Floyd treated poorly and ultimately killed because he was black? Or because Derek Chauvin was a total piece of power tripping garbage?

You could argue both but given his record I'd strongly argue it's the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This illustrates a fundemental disconnect with the entire issue.

It doesn't actually matter if this cop was racist.

It doesn't actually matter if this cop is found guilty.

It has become a perfect representation of an ongoing and escalating problem in the US - namely police brutality that excessively impacts black men.

The fact that he was black, and the fact that he was killed while being subject to police brutality is really the only important point here.

Had he been white, it would be just as much a tragedy. Had it been an accident, it would still be a tragedy.

But the facts are that he wasn't white, and it wasn't an accident.

It was yet another incident of police brutality taking the life of an unarmed black man; systemic racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

seamus wrote: »

It has become a perfect representation of an ongoing and escalating problem in the US - namely police brutality that excessively impacts black men.

The fact that he was black, and the fact that he was killed while being subject to police brutality is really the only important point here.

Had he been white, it would be just as much a tragedy. Had it been an accident, it would still be a tragedy.

It was yet another incident of police brutality taking the life of an unarmed black man; systemic racism.

Are you a psychic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Cops in NY after doing the mayor Bill De Blasios daughter on their Twitter account, are now taking to outright assaulting their own elected officials.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellnor4ny/status/1266538790446825472

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellnor4ny/status/1266802303807500288

Coupled with Trump trying to classify people who are against fascism like this "terrorists" and other elected officials saying they should be "hunted down", it's clear the US is in a very dark place while gobsj*tes whoop and cheer along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah now why you dislike Hamilton so much makes sense! Got it.
    Bit off topic, but I was actually a fan of lewis against rosberg when there was actually competition.
    Now he's just better than a mediocre bottas and gets the title handed to him every year. Combine that with his whining in the public domain outside of F1 and thats why I dislike him.

But you know, dont let facts get in the way of a good virtue signal.

Are you a psychic?

You don't have to be a psychic to see it wasn't an accident, it was murder ffs.

Had he been white, it would be just as much a tragedy.
    Had it been an accident, it would still be a tragedy.

Bull fooking sh1t.
    There wouldnt be any protests if he were white.

Homelander wrote: »
    Just police brutality. If George Floyd had been white - or the cop had been black - it'd never have made it beyond local news in that county.

If if if if if.

Complete whataboutery.

Do better.

• Advertisement

Are you a psychic?
    "Sorry, I accidentally kneeled on your neck there for ten minutes".

Is there anything you racists won't defend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Someone died while a heavy man was kneeling on his neck. He said "I can't breathe" and "I'm about to die".

If you don't find it as plain as day that the heavy man kneeling on his neck killed him, then your connection to reality might be tenuous.

But the man who died was black, so as many hoops will be jumped through as is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cops in NY after doing the mayor Bill De Blasios daughter on their Twitter account, are now taking to outright assaulting their own elected officials.

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellnor4ny/status/1266538790446825472

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellnor4ny/status/1266802303807500288

Coupled with Trump trying to classify people who are against fascism like this "terrorists" and other elected officials saying they should be "hunted down", it's clear the US is in a very dark place while gobsj*tes whoop and cheer along with it.

Pretending they are anti fascists doesn't change the face that they are control freaks with a totalitarian streak and anger towards those who do not conform to their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

If if if if if.

Complete whataboutery.

Do better.

What, like your stellar contributions so far? Basically peering down on others opinions with a stench of inferiority complex.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bull fooking sh1t.
    There wouldnt be any protests if he were white.
    No, there would be widesprad condemnation of the act and a promise to clean up policing. Probably even federal laws to prevent it happening again.

I'm glad you're finally beginning to understand what systemic racism and white privilege are.

No, there would be widesprad condemnation of the act and a promise to clean up policing. Probably even federal laws to prevent it happening again.

I'm glad you're finally beginning to understand what systemic racism and white privilege are.

There is no systemic racism or white privilege. Lets nip that in the bud

The "protests" are actually a piss poor thinly veiled excuse for people of all races from lower socio economic areas to steal from the wealthier people. Or, thuggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Tammerlane wrote: »
    This sad story just proves that black people will never know peace in America or indeed in Europe.

All black people should return to their ancestral lands.

WTF

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No there wouldn't.

Because it happened and none of that happened. And the police involved were quietly acquitted. The Tony Timpa case mentioned earlier - a white man killed by police kneeling on his back and suffocating him.

Floyd's death was undoubtedly tragic. Chauvin deserves to have the full force of the law thrown at him.

But it isn't ipso facto racist. And to argue it is is to ignore the real problem, which is how badly trained the police (in another country) are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Tammerlane wrote: »
    This sad story just proves that black people will never know peace in America or indeed in Europe.

All black people should return to their ancestral lands.

Mod: Speaking of returning from whence they came... Sitebanned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So unless he was shouting die N**ger, we can't say for sure if it was intentional or racist. That is what some people are looking for before they're willing to condemn this act. An "error of judgement"... nonsense, it was pure evil.

Ultimately, and this is important, the protests aren't about Floyd in isolation, it is about ongoing police brutality and death.
    Just look at the statistics of police killings in the US compared to Europe. It is shocking and disproportionately affecting one community. Not exclusively I know that and all instances deserve condemnation.
    Why did colin Kapernick effectively ruin his football career for this issue.
    He had a peaceful protest and was vilified for it. Especially by Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement