Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Tammerlane wrote: »
    This sad story just proves that black people will never know peace in America or indeed in Europe.

All black people should return to their ancestral lands.

You have something in common with the KKK and Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

seamus wrote: »
    No, there would be widesprad condemnation of the act and a promise to clean up policing. Probably even federal laws to prevent it happening again.

I'm glad you're finally beginning to understand what systemic racism and white privilege are.

Your lordship knows this happens regularly enough, people involved in criminality die at a largely similar rate to regardless of demographic, innocents die at the hands of the police at a similar rate to their %.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It doesn't actually matter if this cop was racist.

I.

Yes, correct

But that doesn't stop this OTT racist agenda being driven about this from people....

Yesterday's Irish march was a racism march, not a police brutality march....they wanted to force this as a racist killing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

No, there would be widesprad condemnation of the act and a promise to clean up policing. Probably even federal laws to prevent it happening again.

I'm glad you're finally beginning to understand what systemic racism and white privilege are.

Is that a joke?

Look up the death of Tony Timpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tammerlane wrote: »
    This sad story just proves that black people will never know peace in America or indeed in Europe.

All black people should return to their ancestral lands.

10/10 for trolling. Top marks there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I'm a bit confused - is it racist to criticise this Asian-American chap - who goes by the name of Tou Thoa - and was one of the four involved in George Floyd's death, or am I allowed to assume that he's white for the purpose of voicing my outrage?

28883728-8363287-A_second_officer_involved_in_Monday_s_arrest_Tou_Thao_is_said_to-a-8_1590621228891.jpg?resize=633%2C503&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Danzy wrote: »
    Pretending they are anti fascists doesn't change the face that they are control freaks with a totalitarian streak and anger towards those who do not conform to their views.

Opposing fascism isn't pretending to be anti fascist. Villifying peaceful protestors as trump has been doing for years, and then outright gassing them as he did last night and police forces ordering assault on others like happened to that senator on the other hand, is authoritarian and an attempt to silence those who disagree with you, even peacefully.

But for some reason, you choose to support that.

I'm a bit confused - is it racist to criticise this Asian-American chap - who goes by the name of Tou Thoa - and was one of the four involved in George Floyd's death, or am I allowed to assume that he's white for the purpose of voicing my outrage?

28883728-8363287-A_second_officer_involved_in_Monday_s_arrest_Tou_Thao_is_said_to-a-8_1590621228891.jpg?resize=633%2C503&ssl=1

You can see there’s no intelligence behind those eyes.

joe40 wrote: »
    So unless he was shouting die N**ger, we can't say for sure if it was intentional or racist. That is what some people are looking for before they're willing to condemn this act. An "error of judgement"... nonsense, it was pure evil.

Ultimately, and this is important, the protests aren't about Floyd in isolation, it is about ongoing police brutality and death.
    Just look at the statistics of police killings in the US compared to Europe. It is shocking and disproportionately affecting one community.
    Why did colin Kapernick effectively ruin his football career for this issue.
    He had a peaceful protest and was vilified for it. Especially by Trump.

Definitely more than an error of judgement

I thought it possible when I watched it first, but after really watching it, it appears to me now a defiant act from Chauvin....He wanted to exert his power and authority and to eff those that were "heckling" him.

Now, whether or not he wanted to end the man's life? Only he knows this.....but, for me, he did the end the man's life....and for this, he deserves to be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Now that's racist.
    Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Yeah, he definitely looks and his name sounds black doesn't he?

Just to be clear, are you claiming that so long as you only discriminate against a one or a few different races (and not all of them) that it's not racism? Is that really, honestly what you think racism entails?

jmayo wrote: »
    WTF
    Yeah that was a bit ridiculous alright.
    Probably a left wing poster with an alternate fake account trying to "make the right look bad"

I'm about as right wing as they get and that post is ridiculous.

So unless he was shouting die N**ger, we can't say for sure if it was intentional or racist. That is what some people are looking for before they're willing to condemn this act. An "error of judgement"... nonsense, it was pure evil.

Ultimately, and this is important, the protests aren't about Floyd in isolation, it is about ongoing police brutality and death.
    Just look at the statistics of police killings in the US compared to Europe. It is shocking and disproportionately affecting one community.
    Why did colin Kapernick effectively ruin his football career for this issue.
    He had a peaceful protest and was vilified for it. Especially by Trump.

It's not disproportionate, given that violent crime is dominated by a group in America, that are 6.5% of the population and commit 53% of the murders. Similar rates for other serious and violent crimes.

That is the key reason more African Americans die at police hands. For dealing with criminals the death rate is the same across races.

Don't have the police looking for you in connection with serious crime is the first thing to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

walshb wrote: »
    Definitely more than an error of judgement

I thought it possible when I watched it first, but after really watching it, it appears to me now a defiant act from Chauvin....He wanted to exert his power and authority and to eff those that were "heckling" him.

Now, whether or not he wanted to end the man's life? Only he knows this.....but, for me, he did the end the man's life....and for this, he deserves to be punished.

Did you watch him go unconscious, and the knee stayed in place. Listening to Floyd calling for his mama, that was fcuking heartbreaking.
    For me murder, plain and simple.

Many of the modern left in America and spreading here as well have a special animus towards Asians for not fitting in to their expected slot, drives a lot of the anti semitic leanings as well.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Now that's racist.
    Reported.

How is it racist.?
    He looks dumb in the video, standing by while his partner kills a suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

Show your statistics.

Nermal wrote: »
    Show your statistics.

Policing in America is undeniably lunatic and aggressive.

That it disproportionately targets one community is the fabrication that needs to be challenged.

The police there certainly need better training.

Show your statistics.

are you kidding?
    There is nothing to compare.

The_Economist_police_shootings.0.png
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938170/us-police-shootings-gun-violence-homicides

Between 2013 and 2019, police in the United States killed 7,666 people, according to data compiled by Mapping Police Violence, a research and advocacy group. On May 25, 2020 at 9:25pm (02:25 GMT, May 26), George Floyd, a 46-year-old resident of Minnesota, became yet another victim of police brutality as he was killed in police custody while unarmed. Floyd's death has prompted thousands of protesters to march in cities around the country demanding justice and an end to police violence.

The number of police killings in the US disproportionately affects African Americans. Despite only making up 13 percent of the US population, Black Americans are two-and-a-half times as likely as white Americans to be killed by the police
    https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/interactive/2020/05/mapping-police-killings-black-americans-200531105741757.html

• Advertisement

How is it racist.?
    He looks dumb in the video, standing by while his partner kills a suspect.
    You're insulting a male of asian heritage and making a disparaging comment related to his eyes and his intelligence.
    How is it not racist?

Did you watch him go unconscious, and the knee stayed in place. Listening to Floyd calling for his mama, that was fcuking heartbreaking.
    For me murder, plain and simple.

Really disturbing.....

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I wouldnt be taking any lessons on equality from al jazeera.
    Their country's record on discrimination based on religion, gender and sexuality is appalling.

Many of the modern left in America and spreading here as well have a special animus towards Asians for not fitting in to their expected slot, drives a lot of the anti semitic leanings as well.

His race has nothing to do with the fact that he looks dumb while that so called arrest was made!
    Nothing!

But you grasp away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It's not disproportionate, given that violent crime is dominated by a group in America, that are 6.5% of the population and commit 53% of the murders. Similar rates for other serious and violent crimes.

That is the key reason more African Americans die at police hands. For dealing with criminals the death rate is the same across races.

Don't have the police looking for you in connection with serious crime is the first thing to change.

That is assuming that everyone killed by the police are violent criminals. That is not the case.
    There is always more crime in poorer areas that is true for all countries.

Poverty and neglect are more common in black areas, crime is a byproduct.

There would not be anger like this among the black community and in fact all communities, if this was not an issue. Of course there are opportunistic hooligans attaching themselves to the protest just for violence and looting.

But there are also thousands of people all across America protesting this issue. There is a lot of anger and that does not come from nothing.

This will not be dealt with by force alone, radical reform is needed in many areas of American life, from politics to education changes are needed.

In a way Europe benefitted from social reform in the aftermath of WW2 America is stagnant.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised by some of the posts i've seen on here over the past few days...

Even without getting into the vast history of systemic racism in America, there's a fairly simple breakdown of the protests/riots.

There were three different groups on the streets of American cities this week.
    1. Demonstrators against recent grave injustices, and against a long history of racism.
    2. Instigators like ANTIFA who use this scenario as an opportunity to create riots to further their agenda.
    3. Looters who also use this scenario as an opportunity to commit theft.

I'm surprised I had to fix number 2 for you. How you could leave Antifa out of this equation is a mystery or outright dishonest.

His race has nothing to do with the fact that he looks dumb while that so called arrest was made!
    Nothing!

But you grasp away.
    Same as the killing had nothing to do with race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

2u2me wrote: »
    Horrendous. Just watched the CNN clip (Which contains graphic scenes).

Footage starts after he is arreseted but it doesn't matter no-one should be treated like that.

Those officers need to be charged.

The police must have had good reason to pin him down on the ground in that fashion. He looks like a guy that could take care of himself. Maybe the police officer feared for his own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

BluePlanet wrote: »

Why are you using the population as the denominator?

Do you think the police kill the population at random?

They kill people who are committing crimes.

• Advertisement

Why are you using the population as the denominator?

Do you think the police kill the population at random?

They kill people who are committing crimes.
    Careful now, you cant speak the truth to the left. It doesnt suit their agenda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement