Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Homelander wrote: »
    Or else he just incorrectly recalled figures. Almost half the recorded crime with just 12 percent of the population hardly radically changes the point being made.
    The thing is, it's far from the first time they have 'incorrectly recalled figures' to conveniently suit an agenda. And it works in tricking people, as it appears to have with you when you referred to them as 'facts' and that 'facts can't be racist unless they're wrong' without actually looking at if they were or not, despite replying to someone who had pointed out that the 'facts' in question were both inaccurate and racist.

That's not specifically directed at you by the way, it's a human nature thing. And it's something that the hardcore Trump supporters/alt right brigade have become very aware of in the last 5-6 years; a lie has traveled half way across the world before the truth even has the chance to get it's put pants on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

callmehal wrote: »
    What's going on with this being everywhere? Why do people care so much about riots in America and so on? It's been talked about everywhere.

Trump. It's all his fault

Danzy wrote: »
    As if the figures you present aren't jaw dropping.

Your lordship must be a racist as well.

I've no idea how you think turning a blind eye to that problem helps African Americans ?, helps you, helps your narrative but it doesn't change the outcome for them.
    Despite your weak attempt at a straw man in that last paragraph, I see you don't deny for a moment that you were inflating the figures to push an agenda. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Everyone here often talks about the problem with scrotes and how they can do what they want and the police just stand by and do nothing. We often wish they acted more their continental peers and laid down the law like we see in football tournaments when yobs from across Europe step out of line. I saw a load of British people get clubbed by Spanish police and thought it was class. Maybe that's wrong because it enforces the idea that police should abuse their power?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The thing is, it's far from the first time they have 'incorrectly recalled figures' to conveniently suit an agenda. And it works in tricking people, as it appears to have with you when you referred to them as 'facts' and that 'facts can't be racist unless they're wrong' without actually looking at if they were or not, despite replying to someone who had pointed out that the 'facts' in question were both inaccurate and racist.

That's not specifically directed at you by the way, it's a human nature thing. And it's something that the hardcore Trump supporters/alt right brigade have become very aware of in the last 5-6 years; a lie has traveled half way across the world before the truth even has the chance to get it's put pants on.

Your figures were near enough to the ones I recalled and do not change the substantive point.

The figures are so shocking that if you underplayed it by half it would still be shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

I entirely get your point but I didn't specifically claim those statistics were correct. I had no idea if they were or not, it was more making a point that actual facts can't be racist as another poster was alluding to.

I completely accept that 'fake facts' can be racist or be being made to support a disingenuous narrative.

I don't think the person in question is doing that though. Even if some figures are inaccurate they don't skew the general picture and the broad argument is reasoned and logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Poverty%20Rate%20of%20All%20Persons%20by%20race%20and%20ethnicity.PNG

black people have a poverty rate of 27% , being 13% of the population that means black people in poverty make up 3.51% of America.

white people have a poverty rate of 9.6% , being 60% of the population that means white people living in poverty make up 5.76% of America.

13% of America is living in poverty.

so if its all equal and poverty derived , police killings should work out around

black people 27% of all police killings, white people 44% of all police killings, other races 28.7% of all police killings

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
    taking 2018 , you have 996 people shot dead by police ,
    white people are 40%, black people are 20.9%,

there are obviously the 'unknown' or 'other' categories , but the breakdown of those in poverty by race and police kills by race overlap very closely. There seems to be no over representation of poor black people vs poor white people killed.

Despite your weak attempt at a straw man in that last paragraph, I see you don't deny for a moment that you were inflating the figures to push an agenda. Again.

"And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008."

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

My stats were from a broader time period vs your Lordships. Both are correct.

What are you doing but pushing an agenda, even using your improved reference years, it's still the main crisis facing African Americans.

Homelander wrote: »
    I entirely get your point but I didn't specifically claim those statistics were correct. I had no idea if they were or not, it was more making a point that actual facts can't be racist as another poster was alluding to.

I completely accept that 'fake facts' can be racist or be being made to support a disingenuous narrative.

I don't think the person in question is doing that though. Even if some figures are inaccurate they don't skew the general picture and the broad argument is reasoned and logical.
    They show a large inflation for effect here - yes the underlying point remains on a 42-43% rate, but showing over 50% is far more eye popping, and is something this person has form for. In the other post from a few days back though, they just seemed to pull made up stats entirely out of their arse if it suited their agenda. It's one thing to make an unintentional error, but when you begin making these 'errors' all the time, all to fit the same agenda, it's safe to assume that person is not being honest, and is dangerously naive to continue to give the benefit of the doubt despite this.

Which reminds me, here is an interview of Killer Mike, who despite calling for an end to the violence Danzy still wanted to label as a 'gangster' and poor role model. It's from a good few years ago, and surprisingly resonant with what is going on today, the meaningful stuff starts around 2:30 in. Does this sound like a "gangster" to you?

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    "And yes, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008."

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

My stats were from a broader time period vs your Lordships. Both are correct.

What are you doing but pushing an agenda, even using your improved reference years, it's still the main crisis facing African Americans.

Black offenders, not black male offenders. So again, you were being dishonest with you 6.5% statistic - it is 12.7%. Very much over represented for sure, but an over representation you decided to double for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Do black lives matter only march when a black man has been killed by cops, because a few days ago 10 people were shot dead in Chicago and a few dozen injured .

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/5/25/21268348/chicago-memorial-day-weekend-shootings-gun-violence-may-22-26

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do black lives matter only march when a black man has been killed by cops, because a few days ago 10 people were shot dead in Chicago and a few dozen injured .

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/5/25/21268348/chicago-memorial-day-weekend-shootings-gun-violence-may-22-26

there is no political capital to be made out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

2u2me wrote: »
    I would accept the narrative that the police are brutalizing the journalists if I saw more evidence.

I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

https://www.businessinsider.com/journalists-demand-end-harassment-after-police-launch-over-100-attacks-2020-6?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T
    US police launched over 100 attacks on credential members of the press over the weekend, according to a count by the investigative news organization Bellingcat.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2020/06/well-try-to-help-you-follow-the-police-attacks-on-journalists-across-the-country/

Is >100 enough data points or should we wait for more journalists to be attacked to make that conclusion?

Or white people under the same circumstances being pinned to the ground unable to breathe:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/31/you-re-gonna-kill-me-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-the-final-minutes-of-tony-timpa-s-life/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nkh9F4iFdY

A bunch of pasty Irish people kneeling doing a black power symbol. Do they not realize how pathetic they look?

He
    They show a large inflation for effect here - yes the underlying point remains on a 42-43% rate, but showing over 50% is far more eye popping, and is something this person has form for. In the other post from a few days back though, they just seemed to pull made up stats entirely out of their arse if it suited their agenda. It's one thing to make an unintentional error, but when you begin making these 'errors' all the time, all to fit the same agenda, it's safe to assume that person is not being honest, and is dangerously naive to continue to give the benefit of the doubt despite this.

Which reminds me, here is an interview of Killer Mike, who despite calling for an end to the violence Danzy still wanted to label as a 'gangster' and poor role model. It's from a good few years ago, and surprisingly resonant with what is going on today, the meaningful stuff starts around 2:30 in. Does this sound like a "gangster" to you?

I've shown you the figures I gave are correct, channel 4 source.

Mike, a grown man a father, a business owner and a massively self made man ETC.. Wore a Tshirt.to a press conference on large scale and violent riots with Kill the Masters on his T.

His lyrics include such

"Doctors of death
    Curing our patients of breath
    We are the pain you can trust
    Crooked at work
    Cookin' up curses and slurs
    Smokin' my brain into mush
    I became famous for flamin' you ****s
    Maimin' my way through the brush
    There is no training or taming of me and my bruh
    Look like a man, but I'm animal raw

[Verse 3: Killer Mike]
    We are the murderous pair
    That went to jail and we murdered the murderers there
    Then went to Hell and discovered the devil
    Delivered some hurt and despair
    Used to have powder to push
    Now I smoke pounds of the kush
    Holy, I'm burnin' a bush
    Now I give a **** about none of this ****
    Jewel runner over and out of this bitch"

Seriously, wtf, he isn't 16 and If he was, he would be a fool.

He gave a good speech but when he is still representative of the cultural problem, even if he is somewhat pulling from it to a large extent.

A bunch of pasty Irish people kneeling doing a black power symbol. Do they not realize how pathetic they look?

What about the black people that were there? Do they look pathetic also?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

What's going on with this being everywhere? Why do people care so much about riots in America and so on? It's been talked about everywhere.

what issues do you care about? if you want people to talk about the issues that you care about then start talking about them! (on another thread as not relevant here) :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Advertisement

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    what issues do you care about? if you want people to talk about the issues that you care about then start talking about them! (on another thread as not relevant here) :pac:

“When are they going to remove those pathetic lines on the floor of B&Q?”

again - what issues do you care about? talk about them instead of judging people.

“When are they going to remove those pathetic lines on the floor of B&Q?”

will be awhile yet!

Black offenders, not black male offenders. So again, you were being dishonest with you 6.5% statistic - it is 12.7%. Very much over represented for sure, but an over representation you decided to double for effect.

Crime is always nearly all male, especially murder, that is world wide.

I'll humour your Lordship, say it across the entire 13.5%, rounded up to 15% to minimize further take your lowest figure, 48%, round that down to 45%.

It's still shocking .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.twitter.com/avanidias/status/1267685334436810752&ved=2ahUKEwjg8PummePpAhU0pnEKHeUeBakQo7QBMAB6BAgAEAE&usg=AOvVaw2CxNRnogmpBBkJ53B92_9p

Police aptitude tests the World over need a few added questions focusing on situational judgement and psychology.
    Candidates with a propensity to psychopathy must be weeded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ted1 wrote: »
    Yep, but unfortunately the march alienated many people and I actually increased racism in Ireland. Many people are pissed off with those who marched

Increased racism?

You certainly jumped off the deep end there, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1) election year in the US and its the republicans to lose, angry black people can be motivated to vote.

2) an extended news silly season where anything that isn't the corona virus will get automatic prominence because people are sick of it

3) people spending a lot more screen time on social media and getting sucked in

4) people in European countries are falsely equating the lockdown restrictions to police over-reach / a police state and protesting against police in the only outlet they have that doesn't align them with Gemma o Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nozebleed wrote: »
    is it time to change the thread title. which is very inflammatory. given the latest information coming out from the coronor..

its now appears that george floyd died from a heart attack. blood work shows fentaynl,metamphetamine and signs of heart disease. as well as a history of cocaine abuse..these were all contributory factors in his death.

Gas.

Cop shoots me in the liver. I have a history of alcoholism.
    "If he wasn't an alcoholic he might have lived."

Wow.

If I stood on the neck of a terminally ill cancer patient for 8min do you reckon it was me or the cancer wot killed them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

auspicious wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.twitter.com/avanidias/status/1267685334436810752&ved=2ahUKEwjg8PummePpAhU0pnEKHeUeBakQo7QBMAB6BAgAEAE&usg=AOvVaw2CxNRnogmpBBkJ53B92_9p

Police aptitude tests the World over need a few added questions focusing on situational judgement and psychology.
    Candidates with a propensity to psychopathy must be weeded out.

did you watch that video , " ill crack you across the jaw bro " ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The correct way to deal with looting scum.

https://twitter.com/ZoomerClips/status/1267682087261233157

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement