Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Homelander wrote: »
    In fairness he makes a valid point and one I made earlier.

Derek Chauvin is clearly a terrible cop and questions should be rightfully raised about every aspect of his being one, that this could happen.

But it automatically became a racist issue even though there's no evidence of racism whatsoever in the incident.

Just police brutality. If George Floyd had been white - or the cop had been black - it'd never have made it beyond local news in that county.

There's an automatic leap to racism in these things even where there's nothing whatsoever to support that claim.

You see it all the time. "It's because I'm black" when in most cases it's absolutely nothing to do with the person being black.

Was George Floyd treated poorly and ultimately killed because he was black? Or because Derek Chauvin was a total piece of power tripping garbage?

You could argue both but given his record I'd strongly argue it's the latter.

Around this time last year a black man tried to execute two police officers and a fire office who just saved his life from an od on heroin, the fire officer Mitch Lundgaard died from his wounds.

This incident didn't make it by local news, there was no white people looting and protesting, there was no racial hatred towards the shooter, nobody conflated it as the shooter being racist towards the white emergency services staff who saved him, the fire officers gofundme didn't even reach its target and there was certainly no celebrities reaching out to cover his funeral costs and condemn what happened. People seen it for what it was, a scumbag killing an innocent person who did not deserve to die.

Similar to the murder of George Floyd, it was an unjustified killing by a person who deserves to be punished for his reprehensible actions by a judge and jury. Instead there are certain groups who cannot see beyond colour and will use this as an excuse to try and divide people and conflate it that all white people must be inherently racist & privileged and must be stripped of the ability to question those that identify as marginalised and oppressed.

What amuses me is that people all over social media are telling others that they should be educating themselves and their families that the aspect of colour should never being relevant all while sharing posts about how white people can do more to help those who are oppressed & contribute more to the black community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

mynamejeff wrote: »
    did you watch that video , " ill crack you across the jaw bro " ?

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The correct way to deal with looting scum.

https://twitter.com/ZoomerClips/status/1267682087261233157

Inside, the growing dislike of Asians in so many Americam self declared progressives grows a litte stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Danzy wrote: »
    Inside, the growing dislike of Asians in so many Americam self declared progressives grows a litte stronger

Have you got the inside track on that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

auspicious wrote: »
    So?

what was the cop supposed to do after being clearly threatened ?
    do you know the context of the video ?
    what would you have done ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

gary550 wrote: »
    Around this time last year a black man tried to execute two police officers and a fire office who just saved his life from an od on heroin, the fire officer Mitch Lundgaard died from his wounds.

This incident didn't make it by local news, there was no white people looting and protesting, there was no racial hatred towards the shooter, nobody conflated it as the shooter being racist towards the white emergency services staff who saved him, the fire officers gofundme didn't even reach its target and there was certainly no celebrities reaching out to cover his funeral costs and condemn what happened. People seen it for what it was, a scumbag killing an innocent person who did not deserve to die.

Similar to the murder of George Floyd, it was an unjustified killing by a person who deserves to be punished for his reprehensible actions by a judge and jury. Instead there are certain groups who cannot see beyond colour and will use this as an excuse to try and divide people and conflate it that all white people must be inherently racist & privileged and must be stripped of the ability to question those that identify as marginalised and oppressed.

What amuses me is that people all over social media are telling others that they should be educating themselves and their families that the aspect of colour should never being relevant all while sharing posts about how white people can do more to help those who are oppressed & contribute more to the black community.

just re your last line there - when you are talking about race the goal is not to be colourblind - it is white people that are perpetuating racism so shouldnt white people be educating themselves not to perpetuate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The correct way to deal with looting scum.

https://twitter.com/ZoomerClips/status/1267682087261233157

Asians hate blacks, way more than whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What about the black people that were there? Do they look pathetic also?

Curiously enough they only look even more out of place

In your head!
    There’s a pill for what ails you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Nozebleed wrote: »
    you forgot to mention 'fentanyl and metamphetamine' were found in his blood work. which are certainly going to be a contributory factor in this mans death.

I'm pretty sure someone kneeling full body weight on your neck would still end in death ignoring any drugs in his system.

• Advertisement

what was the cop supposed to do after being clearly threatened ?
    do you know the context of the video ?
    what would you have done ?

If not diffuse the situation, certainly reprimand or, with the assistance of my two colleagues, handcuff him appropriately and proportionately to the offence.
    He was no physical threat. He stood there with arms folded and made no movement whatsoever when approached. Plus he was half the size of the cop.
    The cop displayed disinhibited abuse of position and power.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    just re your last line there - when you are talking about race the goal is not to be colourblind - it is white people that are perpetuating racism so shouldnt white people be educating themselves not to perpetuate it.

Taking some niche group definition of racism isn't really a runner with the public or their experiences, whatever their colour.

auspicious wrote: »
    If not diffuse the situation, certainly reprimand or, with the assistance of my two colleagues, handcuff him appropriately and proportionately to the offence.
    He was no physical threat. He stood there with arms folded and made no movement whatsoever when approached. Plus he was half the size of the cop.
    The cop displayed disinhibited abuse of position and power.

so what are your qualifications to make that judgment ?

do you know the context of that short clip ? what happened before the history of the guy getting arrested or did you just google black guy gets arrested

Taking some niche group definition of racism isn't really a runner with the public or their experiences, whatever their colour.

what do you mean? can you explain? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

do you know the context of that short clip ? what happened before the history of the guy getting arrested or did you just google black guy gets arrested

"Cop defender" is the weirdest hobby, what do you get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tigger123

Trump's posturing and rhetoric will add more fuel to the BLM movement.

No talk of police reform, or engagement with the community, or trying to do better, or addressing the issues which divide the country.

Instead he talks about putting troops on the street. It's almost as if he doesnt know what he's doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    Would you ever ****ing stop with that nonsense.

People falling over themselves to blame white people at times and it's ridiculous. And baseless.

There's a strong case to be made that in this case, it's the black community who are perpetuating racism, by the continuing suggestion that the killing of George Floyd was racist, even though there's no evidence that it was.

A white man killing a black man is an awful thing, but to ipso facto suggest it's racist is literally the kind of stuff that perpetuates racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Black pawn shop owner murdered by looters, really getting out of control.

Mod Note: NSFW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhG0v9pDycM&feature=emb_logo

RWCNT wrote: »
    "Cop defender" is the weirdest hobby, what do you get out of it?

what would some one get out of posting unrelated out of context videos of something that happened thousands of miles away from the events being discussed in the thread . ?

Young woman shot to death by protestor in Davenport, Iowa.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1267669928187813894

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    Would you ever ****ing stop with that nonsense.

People falling over themselves to blame white people at times and it's ridiculous. And baseless.

There's a strong case to be made that in this case, it's the black community who are perpetuating racism, by the continuing suggestion that the killing of George Floyd was racist, even though there's no evidence that it was.

A white man killing a black man is an awful thing, but to ipso facto suggest it's racist is literally the kind of stuff that perpetuates racism.

LOL why are you so angry? no one is forcing you to be on this thread. if its a monologue you want - go talk to yourself in the bathroom. this is supposed to be a DIALOGUE. make your case then. tell me how black americans are perpetuating their own racism. the floor is yours.

what would some one get out of posting unrelated out of context videos of something that happened thousands of miles away from the events being discussed in the thread . ?

You know full well the events are connected, I see the backtracking has begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

tigger123 wrote: »

No talk of police reform, or engagement with the community, or trying to do better, or addressing the issues which divide the country.

Instead he talks about putting troops on the street. It's almost as if he doesnt know what he's doing.

He might not, but his administration as a whole certainly has some method to its madness. Enough violence over this and many people will vote against BLM and everything else they associate with disorder. Nixon won the 1968 election by appealing to the silent majority with the promise of stability in troubled times.

I can see this helping Trump get reelected. Just when his disastrous handling of Coronavirus opened up the possibility of the Democrats winning too.

My qualifications would be common sense, sensibility, and cop on.
    The context of the clip was few cops speaking to cheeky teenagers.
    The cop has since been placed on restricted duties until a professional standards assessment of the incident.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

tigger123 wrote: »

Trump has been talking about criminal justice reform for 5 years and acting upon it for the last 3 and 1/2 whilst in office. The TRump administration has made major criminal justice reforms to benefit minority communities.

The best reform you can give a criminal is to give him a job before they resort to crime. Which is what the TRump adminsitration was doing before the events of the last 3 months kicked off.

Not to worry its all a win win, every middle of the road voter in America is going to think twice before ticking the box for the Democrat presidential candidate. Do they really want to hand the reins of their country over to the left who cant, after decades and generations of Democrat power control their own communitys, states and cities.

Like the lady said in the viral clip, stop looting the shop, this will get TRump re-elected. With intensity of emotion comes true insightfulness.

Moderates will always lean towards law and order in times of social turmoil and TRump represents that. The riots are gaining Trump supporters, cos moderates (the ones who sway an election) can see how much a disaster the country would be if the people who stand up for the rioters who are throwing bricks through windows, looting and setting fire to their community, were ever to get back into power.

Black pawn shop owner murdered by looters, really getting out of control.

Mod Note: NSFW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhG0v9pDycM&feature=emb_logo

why is he standing there shouting cuz with his gun and phone live streaming rather than doing anything to help ?

seems to be a lot more about greed than racism for the people who killed that man

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can see there’s no intelligence behind those eyes.
    Just a heads up to any other users who may have posted similar, I have received thinly veiled threats by PM from the above user after I posted below.

I reported the PMs too. Can't let the racists win.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Now that's racist.
    Reported.

The white activists screaming solidarity and revolution, clenched fists, go home to the nicest suburbs and let others deal with the fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He

I've shown you the figures I gave are correct, channel 4 source.
    You have not. You pretended 12.7% was 6.5%, simple as - your link does not refer to black male offenders but all black offenders.
    Mike, a grown man a father, a business owner and a massively self made man ETC.. Wore a Tshirt.to a press conference on large scale and violent riots with Kill the Masters on his T.
    Let's go ahead and show that conference then, where he explicitly called for people to get out and vote, but not to be violent:

His lyrics include such
    "Doctors of death
    Curing our patients of breath
    We are the pain you can trust
    Crooked at work
    Cookin' up curses and slurs
    Smokin' my brain into mush
    I became famous for flamin' you ****s
    Maimin' my way through the brush
    There is no training or taming of me and my bruh
    Look like a man, but I'm animal raw

[Verse 3: Killer Mike]
    We are the murderous pair
    That went to jail and we murdered the murderers there
    Then went to Hell and discovered the devil
    Delivered some hurt and despair
    Used to have powder to push
    Now I smoke pounds of the kush
    Holy, I'm burnin' a bush
    Now I give a **** about none of this ****
    Jewel runner over and out of this bitch"

Seriously, wtf, he isn't 16 and I'd he was, he would be a fool.

He gave a good speech but when he is still representative of the cultural problem, even if he is somewhat pulling from it to a large extent.
    Funny enough, half of what you have quoted above aren't even Killer Mike's lyrics. And the metaphors may not be a strong point for you (if you're taking it literally as trying to be 'hard', you need to wonder why they're holding a gun to a teddy bear in a room with a child violinist, nun, and man in full body cast in the video).

As for his actual lyrics, the first part is about prison working as a training ground (the whole song is about mass incarceration in the US and how ridiculous it is at this point), while 'delivered some hurt and despair, used to have powder to push' is because he sold cocaine 20+ years ago and laments it as a bad decision (and he does a good bit of work getting and encouraging people away from gangs, hard drugs and the likes). Now instead, he just smokes a joint, and when people are stoned they tend to a lot more passive. The last line is a reference to his music groups name, Run the Jewels.

I fail to see what the problem is, unless you happen to take issue with any artist ever using violent imagery in their songs, movies, books, etc?

• Advertisement

seems to be a lot more about greed than racism for the people who killed that man

No sh1t!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement