Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

RIGOLO wrote: »
    What .. thats outrageous.

You mean to say the police were tear gas'ing young people who were simply out for a night of frolics and fun, setting fire to cars, police cruisers and smashing the windows of shops and business fronts.

You meant to tell me some police officers were actually attempting to control a mob of delinquents breaking a curfew and terrorising a neigbourhood.

Things have gotten way out of control

Has the editor of the Irish Times been informed, we need to hold the letters page for this one. Someone needs to notify Michael D. another poem ASAP.
    The neighbourhood felt so terrorised by these people that they opened their doors to them, to get them inside from the police who had that same night been gassing and shooting rubber bullets at peaceful protesters and the clergy of a church, so Trump could get a photo op in front of said same church?

Yeah, story totally checks out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

According to this account, a George Floyd/BLM protest in Spain ended in shops being looted by Africans

https://twitter.com/CensuratNews/status/1267752286144606212

Any legitimate links? That profile is a cesspit of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

When the shooting starts, bring in the goddamn military and do it now. Come on POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Great to see Trump take control.

He couldn't control his cholesterol. He's ratcheting up the violence levels. Had police tear gas peaceful protesters so he could have his bible photo op. That's not control, its madness. Any support for him is misguided and unitelligent.
    Nozebleed wrote: »
    is it time to change the thread title. which is very inflammatory. given the latest information coming out from the coronor..

its now appears that george floyd died from a heart attack. blood work shows fentaynl,metamphetamine and signs of heart disease. as well as a history of cocaine abuse..these were all contributory factors in his death.

Wrong. Just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Danzy wrote: »
    The white activists screaming solidarity and revolution, clenched fists, go home to the nicest suburbs and let others deal with the fall out.

That is why GOP were absolutely gutted in the suburbs in 2018 and why states like Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, and even Texas are coming into play for Democrats.

Middle class folk care about issues and the right to protest much more than they did back in the 'law and order' days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Granadino wrote: »
    Any legitimate links? That profile is a cesspit of bull****.

No thats it, hence "according to this account"

ELM327 wrote: »
    When the shooting starts, bring in the goddamn military and do it now. Come on POTUS.
    Doubling down on the fact you would have had people murdered for being given permission to enter home owners houses in Washington?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

paw patrol wrote: »
    the church protest wasn't peaceful. The church was set on fire ffs.
    what planet do you live on?
    You’re gaslighting:

The church burned the night before

The protest the night after was peaceful. Trump tear gassed it and police moved in assaulting everyone as they went including reporters and journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »
    You’re gaslighting:

The protest the night after was peaceful. Trump tear gassed it and police moved in assaulting everyone as they went including reporters and journalists.

Oh well if they didn't burn it again the following day that's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

You’re gaslighting:

Thanks, I had missed that post. 'Funny' how the clergy in that church completely disagree with the Trump supporters on this too.

I could say black people are privileged as well and back it up.

Physically stronger, faster etc. The evidence is as plain as day if you look at sports. But that would not be an acceptable thing to say, presumably?

Wow a post right out of 1869.

That just be why Michael Phelps won all those medals, because of how black he was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    it would be a good idea to make your points with some composure rather then cursing at people. i would think the boards has some policies of how moderators should interact with forum participants regardless of if you are a moderator of this group or not.
    I didn't curse at anyone.

I did curse, but I didn't curse at anyone. I presume you've heard people curse before?

Now - feel free to go back and address the point I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Nermal

Nelson's Pillar and the statue of Queen Victoria outside Leinster House are two examples of British monuments that were removed post independence.

And? Because some monuments have been torn down, we must tear all of them down?

He was making the point that you'll have to search rather hard to find historical figures who never expressed an opinion unpalatable to modern fruitcakes.
    s1ippy wrote: »
    If you look at the tweets underneath, the cops were lining people up, tying their hands with plastic zip ties and arresting them for breaking curfew. The homeowner brought them inside, gave them water and shelter and let them stay there.

So... they hid suspects from the police? Shouldn't they be arrested as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

cdeb wrote: »
    I didn't curse at anyone.

I did curse, but I didn't curse at anyone. I presume you've heard people curse before?

Now - feel free to go back and address the point I made.

can you make your point again. the point was lost with all the cursing.

Wow a post right out of 1869.

That just be why Michael Phelps won all those medals, because of how black he was.
    Funnily enough, there are very few elite black swimmers.

I think there is a genuine correspondence between the bone structure that makes black people such good sprinters and yet means they're not great at swimming (again, at elite level). Certainly there have been studies into one of the more curious sporting anomalies.

That's not racist; that's just a fact of life.

Edit - in fact, I'll have to take that back. It seems googling it that swimming is more a social issue, so black people just don't tend to swim as much (a sweeping statement, but it has to be at this level of course), and so don't get to elite level. Though it is something which has been studied.

can you make your point again. the point was lost with all the cursing.
    Sigh. Here you go so. (How you survive in the real world is beyond me, tbh)

just re your last line there - when you are talking about race the goal is not to be colourblind - it is white people that are perpetuating racism so shouldnt white people be educating themselves not to perpetuate it.
    Would you ever stop with that nonsense.

People falling over themselves to blame white people at times and it's ridiculous. And baseless.

There's a strong case to be made that in this case, it's the black community who are perpetuating racism, by the continuing suggestion that the killing of George Floyd was racist, even though there's no evidence that it was.

A white man killing a black man is an awful thing, but to ipso facto suggest it's racist is literally the kind of stuff that perpetuates racism.

I'm a bit confused - is it racist to criticise this Asian-American chap - who goes by the name of Tou Thoa - and was one of the four involved in George Floyd's death, or am I allowed to assume that he's white for the purpose of voicing my outrage?

28883728-8363287-A_second_officer_involved_in_Monday_s_arrest_Tou_Thao_is_said_to-a-8_1590621228891.jpg?resize=633%2C503&ssl=1

Are we assuming Asians can’t be racist to blacks now? That would be an erroneous assumption.

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    The police must have had good reason to pin him down on the ground in that fashion. He looks like a guy that could take care of himself. Maybe the police officer feared for his own life.

How are you mortally afraid of a guy in handcuffs???

Danzy wrote: »
    He was a big man who liked cocaine and fentanyl.

4 might not have been enough if he started.

Evidence for this claim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    He was handcuffed on the ground and unarmed. The police were armed...

If he was not held down he could have headbutted the police officer etc........

Nermal wrote: »
    And? Because some monuments have been torn down, we must tear all of them down?

He was making the point that you'll have to search rather hard to find historical figures who never expressed an opinion unpalatable to modern fruitcakes.
    They were talking about taking down monuments to former oppressors of the people in the country. Ireland doesn't have a black history like the US, but we do have a British one with similarities and indeed we removed several British monuments as a result. Basically, we're far ahead of the US on this front and have been for decades.

Evidence for this claim?

Autopsy report, details in the Guardian.

Not that excuses the rough handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cdeb wrote: »
    Sigh. Here you go so. (How you survive in the real world is beyond me, tbh)

Would you ever stop with that nonsense.

People falling over themselves to blame white people at times and it's ridiculous. And baseless.

There's a strong case to be made that in this case, it's the black community who are perpetuating racism, by the continuing suggestion that the killing of George Floyd was racist, even though there's no evidence that it was.

A white man killing a black man is an awful thing, but to ipso facto suggest it's racist is literally the kind of stuff that perpetuates racism.

This post is so unbelievably missing the point of literally everything, that it's actually genuinely frightening. Christ.

Er, what? Seriously, what?????

America prides itself on being a democracy, founded in liberty and with its citizens endowed with certain inalienable rights.

And the thing about rights is that they accrue to people even if you don't particularly like them. Suspects have rights, accused people have rights, police officers have rights. Cops have the right to life and security the same as anyone else, and they have the right to use minimum force to restrain people who may be a threat to their own or the public safety.

That does not extend to a cop, kneeling on a prone suspect's neck for any length of time longer than it takes to restrain him by other means. Like, er, handcuffs, or the inside of a secure police vehicle.

Sadly, the Supreme Court of the USA once ruled that no black person in America had ANY rights that any white American was bound to respect. That was back in the 1850s, fair enough, and it has been superseded by later Supreme Court rulings enshrining equality of rights between all races. But sometimes what the Law says and what certain people "feel" are not the same things at all.

The spirit of the ruling of the Dred Scott case still infuses many in America to this day. And, it appears, many posting on this forum.

That was because the Constitution as it read at the time didn’t prevent slavery. That was just a fact.

What changed was Congress adopted the Reconstruction Amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rogerrabit

How are you mortally afraid of a guy in handcuffs???

The police officer was only doing what he was trained to do under those circumstances. He was doing his job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Rogerrabit wrote: »
    If he was not held down he could have headbutted the police officer etc........

So they had to kneel on his neck for 9 minutes while he begged for his life? Both autopsies rules death by asphyxiation.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This post is so unbelievably missing the point of literally everything, that it's actually genuinely frightening. Christ.

Its, like, omg, literally terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is a well know fact that the American media focus on race baiting and only see white cops beating up a black man as news worthy, Black cops beating up white people or any other race does not fit their narrative so will be ignored, race baiting and fanning the flames is all the media in America get off on, it is good for ratings sure but it is immoral, They should all see themselves as American and forget all this 'POC' crap which ends up with a 'us against them' type scenario which I am sure a certain kind of person would ravel in.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yet you can't actually come up with a single cogent argument in response?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement