Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Gas.

Cop shoots me in the liver. I have a history of alcoholism.
    "If he wasn't an alcoholic he might have lived."

Wow.

If I stood on the neck of a terminally ill cancer patient for 8min do you reckon it was me or the cancer wot killed them?

the cop in question wasnt aware of any illness,drug or alcohol consumption at time of arrest..maybe things might be different had he known. thats the point of my post. you analogy is as with many on the forum/media...full of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gary550 wrote: »
    protesting - yes

Looting, robbing, murdering and burning peoples businesses - no

Fortunately looters and rioters make up far less of the crowds than peaceful demonstrators.

Any large scale protest is a smoke cover for opportunists and irrationally upset people.

What doesn’t help is that we see just as much unprovoked looting as we do unprovoked violence from police. An Australian news team was part of the action in DC, everything looked peaceful until:

https://twitter.com/tworldreviews/status/1267762402533105665?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

markodaly wrote: »
    Im sorry but what?

The person behind this, is being charged with murder.
    Do you want a seperate justice system for the police? What exactly is your point?

It took days for 1 officer to be arrested despite multiple videos of it and 3 others officers involved are still walking the street.

This isn't just about 1 murder though it is the continued issues in law enforcement and minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nozebleed wrote: »
    the cop in question wasnt aware of any illness,drug or alcohol consumption at time of arrest..maybe things might be different had he known. thats the point of my post. you analogy is as with many on the forum/media...full of drama.

Have you sat and watched the full video? I feel like you haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

When they protested peacefully at NFL games they got utterly vilified, with Trump leading the charge.

When they peacefully protested in Huntington Beach, in the exact spot heavily armed anti-lockdown protesters were allowed to continue on a few weeks ago despite some altercations with police, they got given an order to shut it down.

When they peacefully protested in Washington last night they got tear gassed and rubber bullets shot at them, with Trump giving the order.

I'm not very fond of the violence going on here at all, but the option for peaceful protest has been taken off the table for them from the get-go. And when you do that, a violent reaction is inevitable. Hong Kong being perhaps the latest of countless examples through out history.

You can deflect as much as you want.

If you think looting & burning people's businesses & beating and murdering people who try to defend their livelihood is right then you have one f*cked up moral compas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It took days for 1 officer to be arrested despite multiple videos of it and 3 others officers involved are still walking the street.

This isn't just about 1 murder though it is the continued issues in law enforcement and minorities.

You think 2 of the officers being let walk the street are left do so because they just happen to be minorities?

Even if he wasnt aware that putting your knee on a person's neck for 9 minutes could kill then maybe the guy and bystanders shout it might have given him a hint.

That Cuomo dope is some chancer..

He's pretty much blaming cops for what happened last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ye know what makes me laugh half the people you see here doing black out Tuesday and what not, wouldn't even say hello if on this very day a traveller said hi to them ,

The same crowd queueing up to tell Joe Duffy that they had a spare room for Syrian refugees rescued from the Mediterranean but would ring 999 if a traveller looking to do a bit of gardening

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When they protested peacefully at NFL games they got utterly vilified, with Trump leading the charge.

When they peacefully protested in Huntington Beach, in the exact spot heavily armed anti-lockdown protesters were allowed to continue on a few weeks ago despite some altercations with police, they got given an order to shut it down.

When they peacefully protested in Washington last night they got tear gassed and rubber bullets shot at them, with Trump giving the order.

I'm not very fond of the violence going on here at all, but the option for peaceful protest has been taken off the table for them from the get-go. And when you do that, a violent reaction is inevitable. Hong Kong being perhaps the latest of countless examples through out history.

Right now, to absolutely guarantee law and order and as much safety for people as possible, ALL protest should be off the table

Until the state (the people) feel safe, then all protests should be treated as potential menaces...

I said it days ago: The people had their chance to protest and peacefully show their hurt towards what happened. They blew it. Scum took over and went on a violent rampage.....

• Advertisement

You can deflect as much as you want.

If you think looting & burning people's businesses & beating and murdering people who try to defend their livelihood is right then you have one f*cked up moral compas.

To me, someone putting property above the life of minorities is a much more f*cked up moral compass.

See below how quickly damage of property can be fixed, those that are killed or hurt by police don't bounce back so quickly.

https://twitter.com/korndiddy/status/1267193004319637504?s=20

Desperate to see New York cops stopping thugs from destroying black business for their own looting fun.

Most beat cops there are not white.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

walshb wrote: »
    Right now, to absolutely guarantee law and order and as much safety for people as possible, ALL protest should be off the table

Until the state (the people) feel safe, then all protests should be treated as potential menaces...

I said it days ago: The people had their chance to protest and peacefully show their hurt towards what happened. They blew it. Scum took over and went on a violent rampage.....

The people are protesting, because many of them don't feel safe!

How can you not get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I'm not very fond of the violence going on here at all, but the option for peaceful protest has been taken off the table for them from the get-go. And when you do that, a violent reaction is inevitable.

The Police response was virtually zero the night these riots started in Minneapolis; the platform for peaceful protest was given - and what happened? The city was burnt to the ground, businesses robbed, widespread violence and looting. So with respect, what you've just said is utter horsesh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But it's not like it was some quick reactionary choice, where "if only i'd known" could be a valid response.... He knelt. On his neck. For 8 minutes. Until dead. George gasped. He said he couldn't breath. And then he went limp. And then he died. And people gathered all around could see this happening, and told the officer exactly what was happening, that he was killing George. And still Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck.

I mean, hell, if you're going down this route, should we complain that he wasn't as fit as he could be? Should all black men be working extra hard on their clean living and good cardio routines in case they're detained?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

markodaly wrote: »
    Im sorry but what?

The person behind this, is being charged with murder.
    Do you want a seperate justice system for the police? What exactly is your point?
    In fairness, I think the point is that police in America seem to get off a lot of the time (like in the Tony Timpa case, where the criminal case was dismissed. See a bit in the Guardian about it here - seems the officers were just disciplined, and the town authorities fought against releasing the video footage)

If that's widespread, then that's a big problem.

NYPD have been worse than incompetent at handling the things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

seamus wrote: »
    Antifa doesn't exist. There is no organised group called Antifa.

Antifa is an ideology, not a group that can be attacked.

The reason that Trump has called for antifa to be hunted is so that anyone determined to be unAmerican can be labelled "Antifa" and jailed or whatever. Just like they did in the 50s and 60s when anyone who dared to speak out against the US was called a communist and an enemy of the state.

There was a time when America called for Al-Qaeda to be labelled a terrorist group.

They, like Antifa, operate as a network consisting of cells that can claim autonomy and not risk the whole network being discovered.

Your claim when applied to Al-Qaeda, only proves how ridiculous it is.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The Police response was virtually zero the night these riots started in Minneapolis; the platform for peaceful protest was given - and what happened? The city was burnt to the ground, businesses robbed, widespread violence and looting. So with respect, what you've just said is utter horsesh!t.

The irony of the bit in bold, and then your last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The people are protesting, because many of them don't feel safe!

Protests have turned to mob violence.

The cops aren't feeling all that safe either I'd imagine, nor are hard working and law abiding decent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

To me, someone putting property above the life of minorities is a much more f*cked up moral compass.

See below how quickly damage of property can be fixed, those that are killed or hurt by police don't bounce back so quickly.

Where did I put property above someone life?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The irony of the bit in bold, and then your last sentence.

Oh, I'm sorry, only part of it was burnt to the ground. Happy now?

The police response to the officer at the time was virtually zero when that happened.

They were quicker to arrest reporters live on TV than the guy who murdered a man on video.

Where did I put property above someone life?

Your post

The cops aren't feeling all that safe either I'd imagine, nor are hard working and law abiding decent people.

For every video I am seeing on Twitter or elsewhere on social media of mob violence, there are ones of excessive force by police, knocking pensioners to the ground, targeting bystanders with pepper spray, charging crowds in vehicles etc.

Right now, there is wrong on all sides, but the majority of protesters are peaceful and the president of the US is calling for even more aggressive force.

Oh, I'm sorry, only part of it was burnt to the ground. Happy now?

Give me a percentage. Just to see what level of destruction we are talking about.

You could care less either way.

It's not your daddy's share portfolio that is being hit.

It's small shops and businesses in African American areas3 black owned, Asian owned, they are being burnt and robbed, wiped out.

It's black officers who are facing the attacks.

You need to come down off the pulpit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Is >100 enough data points or should we wait for more journalists to be attacked to make that conclusion?

It certainly would be if there was any proof they were being targeted. They are reporting from a warzone; surely you can expect some shrapnel flying. A lot of these journalists don't seem very aware of their surroundings.

I've seen a video of the national guard marching down a street with journalists right in front of them moving backwards snapping shots. The soliders keep shouting "MOVE BACK DISPERSE IMMEDIATELY" and there is no one else there except press, I'm sure they didn't even know the soldiers were talking to them.

"PRESS we're talking to you DISPERSE IMMEDIATELY" etc..

In the article you cite“Although in some incidents it is possible the journalists were hit or affected accidentally,"

• Registered Users Posts: 31,684 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is the saddest part, that this is what's getting most coverage, when if you're looking at what's actually happening on the ground there are brilliant powerful protests going on all across the country.

There are three groups at any of these protests.
    1: Genuine Protestors - these make up the vast majority of people you see on the streets - of course, because they're just regular people like us, and like the people who marched in Dublin yesterday.
    2: People purposefully going to incite violence.
    3: Opportunists using this as an opportunity to rob stuff.

It's best to think of these 3 groups as seperate entities, because they do not stand for the same goals, and are not there for the same reasons. Groups 2 and 3 are as much in opposition to group 1 as the cops are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Gas.

Cop shoots me in the liver. I have a history of alcoholism.
    "If he wasn't an alcoholic he might have lived."

Wow.

If I stood on the neck of a terminally ill cancer patient for 8min do you reckon it was me or the cancer wot killed them?
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    But it's not like it was some quick reactionary choice, where "if only i'd known" could be a valid response.... He knelt. On his neck. For 8 minutes. Until dead. George gasped. He said he couldn't breath. And then he went limp. And then he died. And people gathered all around could see this happening, and told the officer exactly what was happening, that he was killing George. And still Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck.

I mean, hell, if you're going down this route, should we complain that he wasn't as fit as he could be? Should all black men be working extra hard on their clean living and good cardio routines in case they're detained?

i want to make it clear that i condemn the actions of the officers involved in the death of mr.floyd. but answer this:

how are police supposed to deal with serious criminals? say a guy like mr.floyd who over the years done 5 seperate stints in prison,with a history drug use and a felony for aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon. how are police supposed to deal with these situations? and please dont say "not kill the person by kneeling on them"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement