Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Facts are Facts.
    Fact is that whites receive more lenient sentences for the same crime.
    That is systemic racism.

And that's only looking at one thing.
    Shall we look at others?

There is a far larger disparately in sentencing among the sexes, then there is among races/ethnicity.

Does this mean the system is sexist against men?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Your post

I explicitly said "property is more valuable than life" did I?

What I am saying is someones murder, even under the circumstances does not give people the right to incite violance, loot businesses and beat and (in two instances I seen) murder people who try to defend their livelihoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Danzy wrote: »
    You could care less either way.

It's not your daddy's share portfolio that is being hit.

It's small shops and businesses in African American areas3 black owned, Asian owned, they are being burnt and robbed, wiped out.

It's black officers who are facing the attacks.

You need to come down off the pulpit.

Somebody else wants their go up there obviously.
    I'll be looking out for your posts in future when BAME groups are disenfranchised.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

markodaly wrote: »
    Im sorry but what?

The person behind this, is being charged with murder.
    Do you want a seperate justice system for the police? What exactly is your point?

We want a justice system that doesn’t rally around bad cops.

It’s not just racism.

Seneca, SC: a teenager is suspected of selling weed. An Oconnee County deputy pulls him over in an unmarked car after setting up an undercover bust. He then pulls out his service gun. Scared, Hammond pulls away, Deputy Tiller shouts he will blow his ****ing head off, and then he does. Because he drove away on suspicion of selling some weed. Justice?

It took a year for him to be fired from the force and no charges were ever filed against him. The family eventually got their settlement.

In the Breonna Taylor case more recently cops served a no knock no uniform arrest on her and her boyfriends residence looking for someone else. They were home invaders. Her boyfriend defended the castle. She was shot dead, he was injured. The result? Attempted murder charges for the boyfriend defending his home and no charges for any officers. Officers have the protection of law to act like literal home invaders.

In Florida, an elderly man was tackled by an officer on the beach. This is on camera out there. The officer used a takedown where he shoved his face into the sand. He died on the scene from asphyxiation. But here’s the kicker: the police order their own autopsy, and then without informing the widow have the remains cremated. Conveniently the autopsy points at underlying health issues.

Also in Florida: a highway patrol officer pulls over another police vehicle going well in excess of 100 MPH. the officer behind the wheel is drunk. The arresting officer is harassed by the fraternity, her home is vandalized, and she is effectively canceled by local law enforcement.

Around the country, you will find videos of people going to police stations to file lawful complaints against police officers who are met by police clerks and station attendees who refuse and filibuster to allow these requests to be processed.

This is just some of what I am alluding to about out 2-tiers of Justice for cops. I hope this goes a ways to answering your question.

• Just some thoughts as some mad reading and videos on Twitter currently.

I haven't read one suggestion from anyone in relation to how government officials should get control of the rioting, the looting and the violence?

Isn't the cop being trialed for murder? Haven't the police rightfully spoken out on the racial issues?

Generally however people are obssesed with creating a side and picking it. Scream out loud. Wreck the place and cry wolf on the internet. The media fuel this nonsense.
    Nobody level headed brought into discussions and debates. It seems it's always about picking the extreme views.

There are some peaceful protests and that's great but from what I'm seeing it's an excuse to rob and steal for an awful lot of people in America. So much disorder.

Then the celebs telling everyone how they should live their lives as they sit in their fortress mansions.

The internet age in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

gary550 wrote: »

What I am saying is someones murder, even under the circumstances does not give people the right to incite violance, loot businesses and beat and (in two instances I seen) murder people who try to defend their livelihoods.

I think that black property is more valuable than white activists need to shout solidarity and get off on this all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i want to make it clear that i condemn the actions of the officers involved in the death of mr.floyd. but answer this:

how are police supposed to deal with serious criminals? say a guy like mr.floyd who over the years done 5 seperate stints in prison,with a history drug use and a felony for aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon. how are police supposed to deal with these situations? and please dont say "not kill the person by kneeling on them"

Why please don’t say “not kill the person by kneeling on them”?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

i want to make it clear that i condemn the actions of the officers involved in the death of mr.floyd. but answer this:

how are police supposed to deal with serious criminals? say a guy like mr.floyd who over the years done 5 seperate stints in prison,with a history drug use and a felony for aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon. how are police supposed to deal with these situations? and please dont say "not kill the person by kneeling on them"
    In fairness, killing him is hardly the answer

We have people in Ireland who have done 5 separate stints in Ireland, with a history of drug use and a felony for aggravated burglary.

But the gardaí don't kneel on their neck and kill them. It's not that hard to find that sweet zone that doesn't kill the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The Police response was virtually zero the night these riots started in Minneapolis; the platform for peaceful protest was given - and what happened? The city was burnt to the ground, businesses robbed, widespread violence and looting. So with respect, what you've just said is utter horsesh!t.
    Nope, you're completely wrong there. The tear gas came out on day one of these protests - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/05/26/protesters-rally-to-call-for-justice-for-man-who-died-in-mpls-police-incident

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It took days for 1 officer to be arrested despite multiple videos of it and 3 others officers involved are still walking the street.

This isn't just about 1 murder though it is the continued issues in law enforcement and minorities.
    And 3 white men walked free for months while Ahmaud Arbery was in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

How do cops in other countries deal with them. Every country has violent criminals, they don't have police killings on anywhere near the same level.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The Police response was virtually zero the night these riots started in Minneapolis; the platform for peaceful protest was given - and what happened? The city was burnt to the ground, businesses robbed, widespread violence and looting. So with respect, what you've just said is utter horsesh!t.

That’s like saying the jailer opened all the cells and it’s not his fault the inmates walked out.

Minneapolis police on the stroke of curfew abandoned the streets. They deliberately fed the conditions for looters and opportunists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's small shops and businesses in African American areas3 black owned, Asian owned, they are being burnt and robbed, wiped out.

Nice try but I was out at a protest in one of the cities with 'riots' at the weekend. It was completely peaceful but was policed in a way I would have expected for those protesting with AR-15s.

Looters are wrong but the police are completely incompetent. They are expending all their resources in ridiculous ways.

Here are some of the African American business owners you claim to care about getting treated great by the police

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1267641851215036416?s=20

Relax their brick and mortar can and will be replaced. Plenty of crowdfunding and insurance payouts for that.

Is that not an acceptable answer??

Overheal wrote: »
    Relax their brick and mortar can and will be replaced. Plenty of crowdfunding and insurance payouts for that.

Lad, that's genuinely cold.

You are willing to sacrifice their lives work, their futures for your own agenda and them claim to want justice for their community.

I'm actually shocked.

I'm guessing you are in a multi national, academia.

You have to be cut off from people's general lives to think like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You are willing to sacrifice their lives work, their futures for your own agenda.

I'm actually shocked.

Its, like, omg, literally terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I'm not all that shocked. The disconnect between economy and livelihood shown by some was evident when the lockdown went into place.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I thought yours was just funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I thought yours was just funny.

likewise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Bloody hell.

That's some bizarre logic, destroy what you like because someone else will pick up the tab.

Glazers Out!

You are willing to sacrifice their lives work, their futures for your own agenda.

I'm actually shocked.

I'm guessing you are in a multi national, academia.

You have to be cut off from people's general lives to think like that.

No my family owns mom and pops. The building is more important than anyone’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

gary550 wrote: »

How about starting with being angry with the police for decades of mistreatment, injury, and murder of minorities and then get onto getting worked up about damaged property?

The priorities of your 'moral compass' ooze from your posts.

nullzero wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

That's some bizarre logic, destroy what you like because someone else will pick up the tab.

Not what I said at all put your words in someone else’s mouth.

No my family owns mom and pops. The building is more important than anyone’s life.

Maybe families that own just one and depend on it might depend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

For every video I am seeing on Twitter or elsewhere on social media of mob violence, there are ones of excessive force by police, knocking pensioners to the ground, targeting bystanders with pepper spray, charging crowds in vehicles etc. .

You do realize that when there are riots, police have to act, and nearly always during riots, there are times where decent people will get hurt. They are war zones, for chrissake. It's anarchy and insurrection that they are dealing with....not some sing along protests.

The mobs created these riots, not the police. The police need to shut it down......and to do so, they absolutely need to use whatever resources are available....

So, you can point out all these examples of what you believe are bystanders getting hurt or pensioners getting hurt.....

What are these people doing in the middle of this mayhem? Ever think that?

Onus has to be on persons as well....you are in the cops way during a riot, don't expect the cops to be pull you aside to interview you....

Carlsberg don't do police controlled riots...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

At least some police chiefs have a bit of sense and realise what good police work is.

https://youtu.be/dZBZ_hwUobw

Coming from a police chief, this has to carry some weight.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    likewise.

They'll still be burnt out, an African American business destroyed people like you will go back to the wine bar and talk about systems of oppression in a few weeks time.

Their communities will take years to recover. It's no skin off your nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Maybe I'm missing something (and correct me if I am) but how exactly was this a racist attack? A guy was inexcusably killed by police. That's it. His skin colour has nothing to do with it. People have made it into a race issue but if he was a white guy would the same thing now be happening? Sometimes I think the most racist people are those who choose to classify an event as racist.

But maybe I'm missing something. Maybe the cops shouted racist abuse at him first and said they'd kill him because of his skin colour. If that is so then yes, 100% racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Detective shoots two coloured guys .

https://youtu.be/61rEFiKDuBQ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement