Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Danzy wrote: »
    I'll disagree with you on things, agree on others but if it makes me a racist to say I have a problem with black business after black business being burnt out and that saying they can collect insurance instigated then fine.

It's a sacrifice Overheal seems comfortable with but it's never for people like them higher up the ladder.

****ing nuts that I'm challenged for calling out the burning of black and Asian businesses.

Youre prioritizing the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

First Trump hides in his bunker and turns out the lights like a 5 year old hiding under the covers from the bogey man.

Then he talks tough on Twitter

Then talks tough on the telephone.

Finally he sends his goons out to tear gas and baton charge innocent people protesting peacefully so he can get a picture of himself.

Think about that for a moment, there are still people on these threads defending this man child.

Yeah but he dog whistles lots of racist and bigoted things, so you know... tough call really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Foxtrol wrote: »
    From what I saw first hand they terribly managed their resources. They had an army of officers dressed for war surrounding a peaceful demonstration and didn't have enough police in areas where looting happened.

How many murders have there been during the protests? I think the police have a much higher body count at this point, not even taking into account all the people they hurt

I guess riots are hard to predict , im maybe they waited till the cops left before they stoped protesting and started looting

Cops shot in Oakland and Vagas pawn shopowner and another man killed also

there was 21 people killed in 80 odd shootings in Chicago this weekend , just a normal weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Danzy wrote: »
    I'm guessing academia or multi national job, completely cut off from what is happening in the community these riots are taking place, might drive to protest some evenings as saviour.

They can collect insurances he says, cold rich kid happy to see others fall for his battle.

So who are all the people at the protests. You seem to have them in 2 groups. Violent criminals looting ( some are I agree) but what about everyone else. Are they all just delusional rich kids.
    Is there any chance that hundreds of thousands of people have reached a different conclusion to you, and maybe they have valid reason to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What's your experience of being in the depths of the communities in which the riots are being held?

Limited but that doesn't mean I'm willing to let their businesses be burnt and robbed.

If I had Overheals experience maybe I would be happy to and would tell them fill out the form as they go bankrupt, thank them for their sacrifices before driving home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Can't argue the point so you try to argue a strangers invented-background?

Fella, I'd say with posts like these you just give a better impression of who you are than who they are.

Also, tried it on me also earlier on thread. They went very quiet after my response

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

2u2me wrote: »
    The CNN reporter who was arrested stands too close to the action tonight, his producer gets hit by a missile. Now maybe he'll finally learn a lesson about getting too close to an active riot.

Too often in the last week, that seems to be the attitude of the police. An unusually large number of journalists have been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Too often in the last week, that seems to be the attitude of the police. An unusually large number of journalists have been injured.

Yup

You would think they were the "enemy of the people" or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

After watching several weeks of US medical staff wearing substandard PPE when dealing with Covid-19, the sight of every officer kitted out like a Special Ops Soldier is far from awesome.

I think this is a huge part of why this movement has gained so so much traction. It's a grounding point for so much frustration about everything related to this issue.

When I first moved there a few years ago, I was a bit confused as to why everyone wasn't freaking out about their working/living conditions, when they could see conditions in the rest of the western word. A federal minimum wage so low a huge portion of the population (mostly POC) need 2 or 3 jobs to get the 80+ hours they need to just scrape by. A healthcare system that cripples you financially if you so much as break your arm without insurance. An education system that's prohibitively expensive if you're anything other than middle-class upwards, and even then, still saddles you with debt that takes decades to pay off.

It's a country where being poor not only denies you opportunity, but actively penalizes you, and then keeps on penalizing you. Can't pay your medical bill? Fines on top. Can't pay those? Jail time. Lost your job cause of jail time, and can't get a new one with a record? Evicted. Over in Ireland as bad as things can be, there are still solid social safety nets that mean the edges of society are at least somewhat forgiving. In the US the edges of society are precipitous drops from which there is no coming back.

So you look at a place like Los Angeles (where I live), with massive homelessness and social issues, and you see that 54% of LA's entire budget - entire, as in, for everything - goes to the police. The unfairness of just about everything - especially for poor people and minorities - has been building for a long time.

Exactly, I grew up in 80s where riots were everyday occurrence in northern Ireland. The RUC were no shrinking Violet's but nowhere near this level of journalist injuries happen. A journalist has been blinded in one eye already.

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    there was 21 people killed in 80 odd shootings in Chicago this weekend , just a normal weekend

I am very much for strong gun control, pity the view isn't matched by Trump & the GOP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

begbysback wrote: »
    Its terrible all the bad stuff happening in the US at the moment, but some of this stuff is comedy gold

https://twitter.com/worldtrav747/status/1267423405273473026

That video is doing the rounds and is a couple of years old. He wasn't an FBI agent, he was someone who looked like a person for whom there was an outstanding warrant (One cop says as much at the beginning). We don't know what happened before the cameras rolled, but as soon as the ID was produced and checked, the guy was released.
    "By contrast, the effect of events in Minnesota on Amy Klobuchar's vice-presidential ambitions could be devastating. Earlier in her career, Klobuchar was a prosecutor there and has been criticised for her failure to prosecute incidents of police brutality.
    One officer who was involved in the death of a citizen and not prosecuted by Klobuchar is Derek Chauvin, the very man now charged with murdering George Floyd."

The citizen (Reyes) in question had just stabbed two people, aimed a shotgun at police after a pursuit, and Chauvin was one of six officers to shoot. The Grand Jury convened afterwards decided there was no charge to answer (and after that point, Klobuchar was in the Senate). Whatever else about Chauvin's past, that instance is of no relevance to this or Klobuchar.
    BoroMan32 wrote: »
    The correct way to deal with looting scum.

https://twitter.com/ZoomerClips/status/1267682087261233157

Some shop owners have actually shot at looters. There are videos I've seen from Atlanta and San Antonio, they do provide a practical demonstration to the question of "why would you want an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine". I've a friend operates a business in a city which has a large number of machineguns and fully functioning tanks. (Not semi-auto ARs, actual machineguns, the restricted stuff). That's the sort of place you really don't want to see looted, assuming they can get into the safe. Fortunately, from the photos he's shown of his staff on the roof (most of whom are former Army), it's doubtful anyone's getting within 100 yards of the place.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    I am very much for strong gun control, pity the view isn't matched by Trump & the GOP

The shopowner above seemed quite content with the end result of his being allowed to own a firearm. "Rooftop Koreans" have been something of a meme since the 1992 riots. Statistically, I believe Los Angeles asians are unlikely to be members of the GOP, you may be surprised how many Democrats are in favour of personal firearms ownership.

Well, that's fairly clear and to the point.
    What order will the Military Leaders refuse to take from Trump, that is the question, there will be a tipping point Shirley ? At what point will someone stand up and say '' that is an order I can't give to my troops''

An unlawful one. The military has a JAG corps with plenty of lawyers. Otherwise, it is not up to the military to dictate policy to the elected representatives. If Trump gives a lawful order, it will be followed. You do NOT want a situation where the military starts second-guessing the civilian government, even if it seems like a good idea in this particular instance. It is a very, very bad precedent.

And most, if not all, were blacks killed by other blacks.

Yes all those murders done by criminals. I fail to see any connections with police brutality and police killings.
    Surely we hold the police to a slightly higher standard than the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They have strict gun control in Chicago.

Ha, it's just a shame that it's a short hop over the state border where gun laws are a complete free for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

And most, if not all, were blacks killed by other blacks.

That's racist , don't you know it's only the white cops in America that kill black people

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

auspicious wrote: »
    It can be fairly obvious to spot the overzealous psychopaths amongst us.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/igflreandooiw/status/1267527246425751555

Tackleberry Lives

FilthyGrossHoneyeater-small.gif

Yeah but black lives matter. Why not protest against the gangs and drug dealers?

Because they're gangs and drug dealers.
    They're not the people paid to uphold the law and protect citizens.

They have strict gun control in Chicago.

Not in surrounding states which make that basically useless, like trying to block a dam with a plaster

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A interesting article could be written comparing these US protests with the Hong Kong protests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Yeah but black lives matter. Why not protest against the gangs and drug dealers?

Because then you've to protest other black people , Charles Barkley a famous nba player , got called a coon and house n****r when he critisied some sections of the black community regarding fatherless homes , drugs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am all for tackling mob violence and rioting and looting, but can that madman, Trump not even say this without coming across as a lowlife?

“Utter domination and overwhelming” is the way he describes the police response..

Sick man!

Right now he is stoking and antagonising, when a real leader and decent person should be bringing hope to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A interesting article could be written comparing these US protests with the Hong Kong protests

Or comparing American corporations utter refusal to upset the Chinese Goverment no matter what. Chinese lives dont matter I guess. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Because then you've to protest other black people , Charles Barkley a famous nba player , got called a coon and house n****r when he critisied some sections of the black community regarding fatherless homes , drugs etc

Ye reckon?

https://whyy.org/articles/pleasantville-residents-march-against-gun-violence-and-remember-slain-10-year-old/

https://www.amny.com/news/brooklyn-shooting-protest-1-34432990/

• Registered Users Posts: 82,796 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

So then please enlighten me an clarify what you meant when you posted "I'm a bit confused - is it racist to criticise this Asian-American chap - who goes by the name of Tou Thoa - and was one of the four involved in George Floyd's death, or am I allowed to assume that he's white for the purpose of voicing my outrage?"

I have read and re-read it a number of times but remain completely unable to understand your problem.

Have you considered trying an adult literacy class? They have a very good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

First Trump hides in his bunker and turns out the lights like a 5 year old hiding under the covers from the bogey man.

Then he talks tough on Twitter

Then talks tough on the telephone.

Finally he sends his goons out to tear gas and baton charge innocent people protesting peacefully so he can get a picture of himself.

Think about that for a moment, there are still people on these threads defending this man child.

And his advance team got rid if the clergy out of the church shortly before Trump arrived to do his ‘bible ‘act. If you paid an appropriately qualified professional 20 million dollars and gave them 2 years to organize a more bizarre event involving the president , IMO, they would fail to TRUMP the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I have read and re-read it a number of times but remain completely unable to understand your problem.

Have you considered trying an adult literacy class? They have a very good reputation.
    Oh, now I get what you're up to. On your way so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »

Hollow point ammunition is banned in war as well, yet they are very commonly used by police (and private citizens) worldwide, because they work very well in the civilian environment.

Different rules, different requirements, different situations. After all, full metal jacket ammunition or high explosive rounds are not banned in war, does that make them something to be less objected to than CS gas?
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha, it's just a shame that it's a short hop over the state border where gun laws are a complete free for all!

The rest of Illinois is even closer to the 'free-for-all' of the State line, but has much less issue than Chicago. Towns in the free-for-all States seem to have less issue than Chicago. (Though in fairness, Indianapolis does come pretty close). I submit access to firearms is not the root of Chicago's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

You may be right, but what I've also noticed is the stunning lack of self-awareness from some journalists. I posted earlier but this thread does move quickly.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113619195&postcount=4319

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

ELM327 wrote: »
    Dirty scumbags of the highest order
    Should be shot on sight by the army.

Totally false - that is a clip of householders inviting protesters in to shelter after police kettled them into the area. It has been widely reported in the media. Protesters sheltered there while police waited outside. The police made several attempts to enter but were refused by the householder. There were reports of other households being targeted with less lethal rounds and tear gas. Protesters waited until curfew was lifted at 6 am when local residents and volunteers provided transport home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement