Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The rest of Illinois is even closer to the 'free-for-all' of the State line, but has much less issue than Chicago. Towns in the free-for-all States seem to have less issue than Chicago. (Though in fairness, Indianapolis does come pretty close). I submit access to firearms is not the root of Chicago's problem.

I don't think anyone at all thinks it is? But easy access to firearms obviously makes it much much worse. Which is why they enacted strict firearm laws in Illinois in the first place. But unfortunately those laws can't help when it's very easy to nip next door to bring in whatever you want.

There are an awful lot more things that need to be fixed to actually sort out the underlying issues of systemic oppression of poor people - but having fewer guns on the streets dramatically reduces the fallout in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1267848296481128448

She certainly isn't as dumb as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

She looks scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Totally false - that is a clip of householders inviting protesters in to shelter after police kettled them into the area. It has been widely reported in the media. Protesters sheltered there while police waited outside. The police made several attempts to enter but were refused by the householder. There were reports of other households being targeted with less lethal rounds and tear gas. Protesters waited until curfew was lifted at 6 am when local residents and volunteers provided transport home.

They even interviewed the guy earlier.

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1267853469748248584?s=20

https://twitter.com/ABC7News/status/1267789462546907137?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

vladmydad wrote: »
    Yep some of the biggest nastiest bully’s I’ve ever worked with. There’s also a huge problem with them bullying Irish kids at school. A teacher told me it’s a nightmare, principles terrified to suspend them. They use the race card to get their way. But we can’t talk about that.

Encountered this on a regular basis in the UK.

Child suspended from school aged 6 and labelled a racist over an innocent comment.

Long list of nasty remarks, comments and jokes aimed at me because I'm irish. Made stand in front of 2 managers and say words while they ripped the piss out of my accent, told my union I couldn't lodge a discrimination complaint against them as they were of Indian origin and due to white privilege.

A Nigerian gentleman lodged a complaint against me as I rejected his sexual advances. According to him I was racist, I was married.

I have worked in an environment where people in positions of authority practiced what in house was called positive discrimination. They were so terrified of being accused of being racist it was unreal.

Scary times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Odhinn wrote: »

Why aren't they rioting at them protest like they're doing are now . I watched the video of the cop doing killing George Floyd and it was disgusting , I think he should be locked up and every other cop who uses excessive force ,should be aswell there's nearly 700,000 cops in America of course there's gonna be a few bad apples . I seen a clip of the riot and 5 black men beating a white husband and wife would were trying to protect their property ,is that a racist attack or is it just at 5 scumbags trying to loot the place, how come you don't see that on the news ,but the fact of the matter is , it's not cops killing thousands of black men every year it's other black men doing the killing .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Why aren't they rioting at them protest like they're doing are now . ............. .

So weve gone from "why don't they protest?" to "why don't they protest like I say they should"?

Why aren't they rioting at them protest like they're doing are now . I watched the video of the cop doing killing George Floyd and it was disgusting , I think he should be locked up and every other cop who uses excessive force ,should be aswell there's nearly 700,000 cops in America of course there's gonna be a few bad apples . I seen a clip of the riot and 5 black men beating a white husband and wife would were trying to protect their property ,is that a racist attack or is it just at 5 scumbags trying to loot the place, how come you don't see that on the news ,but the fact of the matter is , it's not cops killing thousands of black men every year it's other black men doing the killing .

Do you have the same feeling about the British government's treatment of Catholics in the north during the troubles? Just a few bad apples there also? I'm sure you feel any injuries or deaths to innocents Catholics were the fault of the IRA not the RUC or British Soldiers doing the shooting?

So weve gone from "why don't they protest?" to "why don't they protest like I say they should"?

The latter has always been the way, there is always an excuse as to why their protest isn't the right way to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People keep posting this less than clever filibuster like that should be the last word in people calling for police to not murder people in their custody.

Exactly. And they’ve tried the peaceful route. More than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This image is very popular at the moment.

EZb0lMIWAAAqELF?format=png&name=900x900
    img

These are the images that Hillary Clinton tweeted in which she implied that Trump turned the WH to then be . One of the WH during the Obama administration and alongside the edited version of a photo from 2015.

The original:

EZhQ0cWX0AA7K_X?format=jpg&name=large
    Source

I am not surprised in the slightest that this beta cretin did something like this. It was lapped up by the sycophants and they rolled with it. It was taken before Trump was even in the office and many others have pointed out this fact online. In 2020 how do you think you could get away with something like this. But I suppose the usual ones people deny it.

AssociatedPress: Fact Check

Washington Examiner

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The latter has always been the way, there is always an excuse as to why their protest isn't the right way to do it

You can’t do it on a Sunday

You can’t do it on a workday

You can’t do it during the national anthem

You can’t sit in at a white diner

You can’t sit in the front of the bus

You can’t drink from a white fountain

Change is disruptive but life moves on.

People who don’t want to be disrupted always find a reason not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Overheal wrote: »

So this is okay in your book , beating a woman and trying to rob her shop

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/newsalerts/video-2183212/Video-Horrific-moment-business-owners-couple-attacked-looters.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Bull****. Everything asked for in the civil right's movement was given. What more is being asked for. If the movement asked for a change of powers available to the police they would get it.

This narrative that violence is the only answer is being stoked by the sensationalist media you consume. It's disgusting and will only lead to more deaths. The lack of awareness in how this kind of narrative is shaping events is mind-boggling, everyone can identify how Trump is making things worse, but the media and their narrative of 'institutional racism, violence is the only way left' is doing far more damage than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His response to black and Asian businesses being burnt out was they could claim insurance.

That has to be a record setting statement even for boards.ie

Acceptable losses I guess to the Generals.

Theres a narrative that Afro-Americans are violent and inherently dangerous, but compare how they're reacting to how republicans reacted in similar situations - with organised paramilitary action - in the north.

Oh are we playing this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She looks scared.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Theres a narrative that Afro-Americans are violent and inherently dangerous, but compare how they're reacting to how republicans reacted in similar situations - with organised paramilitary action - in the north.

South Chicago is not an occupied country.

2u2me wrote: »
    Bull****. Everything asked for in the civil right's movement was given. What more is being asked for. If the movement asked for a change of powers available to the police they would get it.

This narrative that violence is the only answer is being stoked by the sensationalist media you consume. It's disgusting and will only lead to more deaths. The lack of awareness in how this kind of narrative is shaping events is mind-boggling, everyone can identify how Trump is making things worse, but the media and their narrative of 'institutional racism, violence is the only way left' is doing far more damage than anything else.

And everything “they got” in the civil rights movement was handed over gladly without a fuss?

This is a pig ignorant post. Maybe reflection on what happened at Selma would be enlightening for you?

Danzy wrote: »
    South Chicago is not an occupied country.

....its not even a case of "occupied country", its a case of massive discrimination against a minority population over centuries.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Encountered this on a regular basis in the UK.

Child suspended from school aged 6 and labelled a racist over an innocent comment.

Long list of nasty remarks, comments and jokes aimed at me because I'm irish. Made stand in front of 2 managers and say words while they ripped the piss out of my accent, told my union I couldn't lodge a discrimination complaint against them as they were of Indian origin and due to white privilege.

A Nigerian gentleman lodged a complaint against me as I rejected his sexual advances. According to him I was racist, I was married.

I have worked in an environment where people in positions of authority practiced what in house was called positive discrimination. They were so terrified of being accused of being racist it was unreal.

Scary times

well the lids off now, people can be free to tell these stories about their lived experience.
    It all adds up and explains why most organisations cant seem to function correctly , too much time spent making decisions that LOOK right, rather than decisions that ARE right.

You could try starting a thread on NEGATIVE racial experiences by white people, but it would be shut down faster than it takes a George Floyd peaceful protestor to rob a cheesecake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

2u2me wrote: »

Which media outlets did you see saying that violence was the only way left?

RIGOLO wrote: »
    well the lids off now, people can be free to tell these stories about their lived experience.
    It all adds up and explains why most organisations cant seem to function correctly , too much time spent making decisions that LOOK right, rather than decisions that ARE right.

You could try starting a thread on NEGATIVE racial experiences by white people, but it would be shut down faster than it takes a George Floyd peaceful protestor to rob a cheesecake.

Because that’s not much unlike starting a thread about Nazis being discriminated against by Jews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

And everything “they got” in the civil rights movement was handed over gladly without a fuss?

This is a pig ignorant post. Maybe reflection on what happened at Selma would be enlightening for you?

What is being asked for Overheal? What are they demanding?

In fact you answered this the other night "Police accountability".

Do you not see that this goal has no end? It has no way of being achieved. If they asked that police can no longer use such force during arrests I'm sure the whole country would be on board. Laws and rulesbooks would quickly be rewritten. That's not the direction the media are spinning it. This is largely senseless violence and destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Because that’s not much unlike starting a thread about Nazis being discriminated against by Jews.

I'm sure thats a thread some here would also love to start.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm sure thats a thread some here would also love to start.

There are enough threads on Jeremy Corbyn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Blacks people make up 13% of the Untied States population they are behind 52% of the murders they commit murders at eleven times the rate of the white population.

What that cop did was murder no doubt about it but the biggest danger to young black men in the Untied States is other young black men.

Looting burning and attacking innocent people makes it very difficult to sympathise with their cause.

Black Lives Matter don't seem to give a hoot about all the gangland shootings of young black men by other young black men.

Not to mention all the white people murdered and attacked by black people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement