Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You were so close to going on an 'all lives matter' rant that you clearly really want to do...

Don't all lives matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

GazzaL wrote: »
    Don't all lives matter?

That's racist.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cupatae wrote: »
    The riots are ridiculous , the blm blaming the "white man" are ridiculous , let's burn down our city to make a point !

Everyone was in agreement it was horrific and tragic blacks and whites alike yet select groups are trying to make it into black vs white , you ve spastics then like Billie elish and pink preaching to everyone about white privilege all whites are privileged apparently

The whole thing has just become a joke tbh .

In America, yeah, pretty much.

If you don't quite understand the breath of what that means, it's worth taking a look on. That privilege is not about wealth, it's about the things you do or do not have to think about in your day. What thought goes through your head when you see a police car, and what you have to do. A million things we're entirely ignorant of, because we're not faced with them.

Like, I see a lot of commentary on here that's Irish people coming with an Irish perspective on a situation that is fundamentally alien to Ireland. That's really important to understand.

The US is a very different place, with a very different history and culture, and where just living in their more diverse communities for a few years (or even months im sure) very swiftly impresses upon you that yes, in fact your life experience becomes quite different when you are not white. Just as a basic for instance - I've never had some random stranger scream something vitriolic at me from a car window driving past. I can guarantee that every black, asian, indian, pakistani person I know there has had that happen many times. And much much much worse than that.

I'm not saying bad things do not happen to white people. I'm saying they happen more to people of colour, particularly black, and with less reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Business generates revenue without that none of us have food power public services and so on.
    Loss of jobs will cause deaths.

Not really a big care when
    • Minorities have been absolutely destroyed by being put out of work by the COVID lockdowns
    • The Trump administration has put its focus on bailing out large businesses than people - a single check for many
    • COVID deaths are significantly higher for minorities

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

However, the priority you put on bricks and mortar over actual lives shows, at minimum, you relate or simply care more about business owners than what minorities are facing on a daily basis.

This is so telling.

You can't even imagine that business owners and minorities could be the same. No, they're helpless without the likes of you as far as you are concerned.

It is their lifes that are being destroyed by the riots, not whitey, the police aren't getting much, its black and Asian businesses that are being robbed blind and destroyed.

Cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nullzero wrote: »
    So the damage that has been caused is inconsequential? And that is BECAUSE people already had experienced hardships due to Covid19?

Your argument was basically people will die of poverty and starvation because Gucci and Starbucks and small businesses have been kicked in.

That is really hyperbolic. The property damage is sad and many protestors have tried to help police prevent it. However, I find it really hard to believe a store owner or an employee is going to roll over and die because of the disruption as your post suggested.

Don't all lives matter?

Yes, but when fire fighters come to put out a fire they focus the water on the building on fire instead of equally pouring it on all the houses on the street.

Some folks are needy enough that everything has to be about them though, which is where 'all lives matter' comes from.

2u2me wrote: »
    There are reports of piles of bricks being found in many places. So you've guessed I only saw one story and assumed I made a sweeping generalization... Imagine that! (don't expect much less tbh)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8377069/Bricks-randomly-appear-protests-sparking-theories-planted-stoke-violence.html

And we don’t know who is doing all that. But clearly it is done by people who want this to turn violent. They do not represent the eclipsing majority of protestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    And we don’t know who is doing all that. But clearly it is done by people who want this to turn violent. They do not represent the eclipsing majority of protestors.

That's why I was asking who do you think was in the car? What is your opinion?

Don't all lives matter?

It’s gaslighting. It’s telling people they are selfish for wanting to ensure that black lives matter.

People did the same **** to condemn the Pride movement. “Shouldn’t we all be proud dur hur”

• Advertisement

I don’t know who was in the car?

I’m not trying to be pedantic I’m just honestly not sure what you wanted me to conclude.

°°°°°

Your argument was basically people will die of poverty and starvation because Gucci and Starbucks and small businesses have been kicked in.

That is really hyperbolic. The property damage is sad and many protestors have tried to help police prevent it. However, I find it really hard to believe a store owner or an employee is going to roll over and die because of the disruption as your post suggested.

My argument was what now? Show me evidence that supports your claim.

You're accusing me of hyperbole?
    Some of the posts you've written here over the last few days have been the stuff of fantasy.

Glazers Out!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Danzy wrote: »
    Stateofyou has a doppelganger in America. Same needs.
    Are you trolling now. I thought you were somewhat reasonable but this " let them eat cake" stuff is off.
    I'm guessing academia or multi national job, completely cut off from what is happening in the community these riots are taking place, might drive to protest some evenings as saviour.

They can collect insurances he says, cold rich kid happy to see others fall for his battle.
    One of the priests here suggested black people like her should claim insurance.

Cold people.
    Overheal said black and Asian business owners like you should claim insurance.

He isn't a Klan member he supports the protesters.

Easy to see the life he has had to date. He couldn't understand the pressures or losses incurred for life even with insurance.

Reminds me of the Christy Moore song.

He'll drive his big car and smoke his cigar, he'll never lose.
    Threadbanned

nullzero wrote: »
    My argument was what now? Show me evidence that supports your claim.

You're accusing me of hyperbole?
    Some of the posts you've written here over the last few days have been the stuff of fantasy.

What I got from your post was doomsday predictions about people dying because of businesses being looted.

So where was I wrong?

This is so telling.

You can't even imagine that business owners and minorities could be the same. No, they're helpless without the likes of you as far as you are concerned.

It is their lifes that are being destroyed by the riots, not whitey, the police aren't getting much, its black and Asian businesses that are being robbed blind and destroyed.

Cold.

:confused:

Do you believe minority business owners don't face the same issues with policing?

I shared this earlier in one of the threads, here is how the police treat them, the minority owners flag them down for help and the police instantly try to arrest them instead of the looters.

https://twitter.com/elizaorlins/status/1267655849239097344?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I don’t know who was in the car?

I’m not trying to be pedantic I’m just honestly not sure what you wanted me to conclude.

Its probably Antifa isn't it? It's hardly like the KKK or something. Antifa acting in cells leaving piles of bricks in their usual hotspots. most likely.

I couldn't think of one other reasonable culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

°°°°°

What I got from your post was doomsday predictions about people dying because of businesses being looted.

So where was I wrong?

What you got from my post was people dying?

Show where I said anything of the sort please.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Poverty kills people riots and looting will cause extra jobs losses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

You were so close to going on an 'all lives matter' rant that you clearly really want to do...

Well they do, to anyone with some bit of balance and a brain ,

Knuckle draggers follow the narrative of the big bad white man keeping the black man down, you don't see white people burning the place down when a black cop kills a white person, doesn't have the same buzz for the trend followers and bandwagoners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Poverty kills people riots and looting will cause extra jobs losses.

I mean, they're not exactly thinking this thing through are they.

The bricks thing is a particularly ****ed up one. I first saw it with friends posting images of a pallet of bricks being delivered in the middle Los Angeles, at a cross section of two streets, with no construction, and no-one to do anything with them. Uncovered, not even so much as a barrier around them.

Then saw reports of the same thing in Minneapolis, and it's been happening all around since. A buddy texted earlier saying crates of rocks were dropped off up the road from where I live.

I don't think there's some big nefarious plan by some mastermind, I think it's more likely a really easy thing for some racist dick (like those in that car) who is so inclined to just place an order with a contractor and have them dropped off, as if for any normal job. it's not like it's that expensive. But, then they're there when the tear gas and rubber bullets start flying. I'm guessing it's something where once one person sees it being done, it's easy for others in other cities to copy, again like the people in that car. Just stirring things up, further inciting violence.

Do you believe minority business owners don't face the same issues with policing?

I shared this earlier in one of the threads, here is how the police treat them, the minority owners flag them down for help and the police instantly try to arrest them instead of the looters.

God we haven’t even discussed the Karen’s ITT. Barbecue Betty and her Ilk. The woman last week who called the cops on a black birdwatcher because he asked her to leash her dog in a leash-only section of Central Park.

Reflecting on it you can’t help but wonder how much black persecution by officers isn’t generated by Karen’s. Long before we had cell phones. ‘There’s a black man in my neighborhood I’m scared’ etc.

They are a thread unto themself. For their part, 911 operators have from what I’ve seen and heard, taken more strides in the last few years to sift between the Karen’s and real reports of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I can not believe that when she was asked to give a description of looters she only said African American. The B*tch. There can be white looters too.

Karens..

Oh for God's sake..

Half the problem is the whole infantalisation of people and the fact that political discussion has descended into idiocy for the most part..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What happens to random white people taking strolls in Oakland, Compton or Chicago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What happens to random white people taking strolls in Oakland, Compton or Chicago?

People in the wrong place at the wrong time nothing racist and nothing to see here according to the media.

Its probably Antifa isn't it? It's hardly like the KKK or something. Antifa acting in cells leaving piles of bricks in their usual hotspots. most likely.

I couldn't think of one other reasonable culprit.

Few plausibilities. Antifa being one.

I would not discount other groups, or false flag attempts - you are talking about the crowds who believed PizzaGate etc. they already believe conspiracies happen to them, why wouldn’t they conspire against others?

KKK flyers were thrown out in Clemson a few years ago. Attached to bean bags and thrown out of a car, for a local chapter. Frankly, you can’t be sure a local chapter really did that or a black provocateur. When Trump was elected we saw liberal false flags. WaPo did a huge write up on a liberal gay pastor who vandalized his own church with swastikas and “fags get out.” It happens, it’s not tinfoil fantasy. There’s the “umbrella man” in Minneapolis suspected to be an identified police officer. Also a few years ago in clemson, there was “bananagate” - it would take me more time than I care to explain, but it turned out a black student staged the outrageous act.

So all critical thinking applied I don’t really know who was in the car. Ochams razor doesn’t apply neatly in a situation where there is the opportunity and motivation for malicious actors to sow confusion.

Feels like anything approaching reasonable discussion has finished up here, replaced with fairly transparently overt racism. Later lads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In America, yeah, pretty much.

If you don't quite understand the breath of what that means, it's worth taking a look on. That privilege is not about wealth, it's about the things you do or do not have to think about in your day. What thought goes through your head when you see a police car, and what you have to do. A million things we're entirely ignorant of, because we're not faced with them.

Like, I see a lot of commentary on here that's Irish people coming with an Irish perspective on a situation that is fundamentally alien to Ireland. That's really important to understand.

The US is a very different place, with a very different history and culture, and where just living in their more diverse communities for a few years (or even months im sure) very swiftly impresses upon you that yes, in fact your life experience becomes quite different when you are not white. Just as a basic for instance - I've never had some random stranger scream something vitriolic at me from a car window driving past. I can guarantee that every black, asian, indian, pakistani person I know there has had that happen many times. And much much much worse than that.

I'm not saying bad things do not happen to white people. I'm saying they happen more to people of colour, particularly black, and with less reason.

Are they tho? Or are they highlighted way more and blown out of proportion alot more , alot of black people play the race card at the drop of a hat at this stage white guilt is something you should read up on it s a stick often used to attack white people, when that man was being murdered , there was a Asian cop happily watching but ye it's only highlighted as black vs white no mention of Asian why is that ?

I think there a fundamental problems with law enforcement over there , I think it's disgraceful that it's alright for everyone to bash the white race and the masses come out to support black supremacists..

Whether that man was black white or purple he was evil first and foremost and murdered that lad , color should take a back seat.

I could bring you plenty of instances of horrendous crimes by blacks on whites that nobody made a peep out of but it'd be a point less back and forth ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement