Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This year has been a total disaster how much more can go wrong?

'May you live in interesting times'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I reckon they had previous........i mean they both worked security at the same niteclub, Chauvin must had some grudge against him

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-worked-security-el-nuevo-rodeo-nightclub-shifts/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Notdeco wrote: »
    Yep, very peaceful protest, they are now saying how nice to crowd is how people they are there was a conversation between a black lady and a cop about how the process could go on and all the difference crowds can get together and agreed a way.
    Really nice to see

Give it a few hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think it is either the media you consume or your insecurity that makes you feel it is so black vs white.

Cops are generally seen the same no matter their colour (unless they come from the community in question).

I used to laugh at the concept of white privilege until I moved to a multicultural city and started to make more friends who are minorities. Some of the stuff they deal with is impossible for most Irish people to understand and that isn't even getting into what their parents and grandparents experienced.

So it's not about black vs white ? There is no low key resentment there ? Hang on I'll link you the video of the speeches George flyods brother , several high profile black people make , you can explain why there is statement s like "if it it was a white person we d prob have the president here" ECT

It's is follow the crowd and popular opinion , I think people need to look at it more balanced and less emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,780 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yep, very peaceful protest, they are now saying how nice to crowd is how people they are there was a conversation between a black lady and a cop about how the process could go on and all the difference crowds can get together and agreed a way.
    Really nice to see

What tickled me about that was the girl was addressing the crowd and rather than listen to her speak the presumably white ABC correspondent narrated over her, mansplaining what she was in the middle of saying about cooperation with police officers to keep the peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Overheal wrote: »
    Does George Soros run France too? I had no idea.

No its the 'White Supremacists' of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

nullzero wrote: »
    Irish people have experienced discrimination in these settings also. Being white doesn't make somebody exempt from being discriminated against.

It definitely doesn't exempt them but it is fundamentally different for minorities being profiled by police.

Just because you've had a minor inconvenience at some point it simply doesn't compare to what we're talking about here.

'May you live in interesting times'

I’ve had enough interest can we opt out?

..., mansplaining ...

I'm actually laughing here..

No its the 'White Supremacists' of course

Does France have that problem? I didn’t think so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

nocoverart wrote: »
    Give it a few hours.

Well that would be others getting involved. Not the real protesters. Really have a look at air 7HD ABC live they are showing the feed(YouTube)

I'm actually laughing here..

What’s funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cupatae wrote: »
    You should watch the speech with Jamie fox and the likes you ll find the narrative of black vs white is well rooted, I disagree with of what your saying.

The race card is played alot by being honest alot of black people there are countless videos online of when a black person is clearly in breach of the law the first thing they argue is a white person would be let away with it .. The white guilt shouldn't exist tho , where's the black guilt and the Latin guilt , Chinese guilt ECT the human race as a whole has committed horrendous acts yet whites are severly focused and constantly reminded..

Irish people were similarly treated in America but they chose to go a different route about getting equality I think the black community has alot of issues internally that need sorting.
    You say that like there's a black president in charge of the black nation or something. Like they should be sending a memo around internally.

Now, can you think of a reason why it became easier for Irish people to integrate over generations? Perhaps something like you having kids, who grow up with american accents, white skin, and are suddenly indistinguishable from the rest, just another part of the great american melting pot? Black skin doesn't wash away so easily.
    I think there are alot less racists these days especially amongst white people as it is so highlighted and heavily frowned apon.
    HA! Christ, anyone in America with their eyes open at all, especially over the past 4 years, has seen a massive surge in racism. Like, the casual racism you see on a weekly basis around the place is staggering. Again, you seem to be looking at it through irish eyes, where that is definately true. But in America - different different situation. Like, unbelievably so. Casual racism hasn't been this popular in decades. I really cannot stress this enough.

But the looting and riots are 100% wrong and those partaking in them are a disgrace. What political statement is being made by burning star bucks and robbing a new 50" only using racism as an excuse to steal

I don't think the people rioting know what there rioting for tbh, what's the goal?
    I entirely agree that the looting is wrong.

A huge aspect to think of is that there are 3 groups out there on the street, not one. (and this not my first time explaining this, so apologies to others seeing it again).

1) These are genuine protestors - this is the vast majority of people you see, of all races, genders, and persuasions. Just about every person I know in LA is out there amongst this group.

2) There are people using this as an opportunity to stir up violence (like those actively causing damage with the intention of drawing ire upon the black community, or those handing out bricks).

3) There are those who just fancy a good old smash-up, and this is the perfect opportunity.

These 3 groups, just because they're all on the street, are not on the same team, and there are countless videos of people from group 1 trying to stop members of groups 2 and 3. Just like you have 40,000 people in a stadium, broken into two groups with directly contradictory goals and desires.

What’s funny?

I'm waiting for you to call someone a chad..

I think it is either the media you consume or your insecurity that makes you feel it is so black vs white.

Cops are generally seen the same no matter their colour (unless they come from the community in question).

I used to laugh at the concept of white privilege until I moved to a multicultural city and started to make more friends who are minorities. Some of the stuff they deal with is impossible for most Irish people to understand and that isn't even getting into what their parents and grandparents experienced.

So it's not about black vs white ? There is no low key resentment there ? Hang on I'll link you the video of the speeches George flyods brother , several high profile black people make , you can explain why there is statement s like "if it it was a white person we d prob have the president here" ECT

It's is follow the crowd and popular opinion , I think people need to look at it more balanced and less emotional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This year has been a total disaster how much more can go wrong?

Having savage summer weather all the same. Nature seems to be doing well. That's about the only positive.

What tickled me about that was the girl was addressing the crowd and rather than listen to her speak the presumably white ABC correspondent narrated over her, mansplaining what she was in the middle of saying about cooperation with police officers to keep the peace.
    Oh he was white, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It definitely doesn't exempt them but it is fundamentally different for minorities being profiled by police.

Just because you've had a minor inconvenience at some point it simply doesn't compare to what we're talking about here.

What minor inconvenience are you referring to exactly?

Glazers Out!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You say that like there's a black president in charge of the black nation or something. Like they should be sending a memo around internally.

Now, can you think of a reason why it became easier for Irish people to integrate over generations? Perhaps something like you having kids, who grow up with american accents, white skin, and are suddenly indistinguishable from the rest, just another part of the great american melting pot? Black skin doesn't wash away so easily.

HA! Christ, anyone in America with their eyes open at all, especially over the past 4 years, has seen a massive surge in racism. Like, the casual racism you see on a weekly basis around the place is staggering. Again, you seem to be looking at it through irish eyes, where that is true. But in America - different different situation. Like, unbelievably so. Racism hasn't been this popular in decades. I really cannot stress this enough.

I entirely agree that the looting is wrong.

A huge aspect to think of is that there are 3 groups out there on the street, not one. (and this not my first time explaining this, so apologies to others seeing it again).

1) These are genuine protestors - this is the vast majority of people you see, of all races, genders, and persuasions. Just about every person I know in LA is out there amongst this group.

2) There are people using this as an opportunity to stir up violence (like those actively causing damage with the intention of drawing ire upon the black community, or those handing out bricks).

3) There are those who just fancy a good old smash-up, and this is the perfect opportunity.

These 3 groups, just because they're all on the street, are not on the same time, and there are countless videos of people from group 1 trying to stop members of groups 2 and 3. Just like you have 40,000 people in a stadium, broken into two groups with directly contradictory goals and desires.

Answer me this ,

What can a white person do that a black person cannot in America because of there skin color what are they denied based on skin color.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The bricks thing is a particularly ****ed up one.

I don't think there's some big nefarious plan by some mastermind, I think it's more likely a really easy thing for some racist dick (like those in that car) who is so inclined to just place an order with a contractor and have them dropped off,

I agree those bricks could pretty much be sent by anbody and one can only guess right now. That clip with the woman lambasting the people in the car though, they were apologizing profusely. I highly doubt they were racists. They were being respectful and apologetic. I think they thought they were 'allies' and ironically were actually hurting black people. One girl in particular caught the her wrath.

Oh he was white, no doubt about it.

Oh, he's back on!

I'm waiting for you to call someone a chad..

What’s that? I have friend named Chad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I see huge numbers marching towards The White House.

Tension in Hollywood now. Rubber bullets fired in an alleyway. Police talking about suspected looters but no view of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What’s that? I have friend named Chad?

Give him our best.

Glazers Out!

I think you're getting way too wound up and defensive by any time people mention race.

There definitely resentment but it isn't based on black vs white, just like there was for a long time against the British government for their actions in the north and their failure to acknowledge what they did wrong. For the most part people didn't resent them for the fact of being British, it was their actions or opinions, and it is the same thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Where were the protesters when blacks were committing genocide against white farmers in South Africa... and continue to do so?

One black man loses his life and the world goes insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Well that would be others getting involved. Not the real protesters. Really have a look at air 7HD ABC live they are showing the feed(YouTube)

Yeah, I seen it. Good stuff! I'm sure some will stay after curfew and become a problem though.

• Advertisement

Answer me this ,

What can a white person do that a black person cannot in America because of there skin color what are they denied based on skin color.

White people can drive their car without being racially profiled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement