Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SusieBlue wrote: »
    He was face down on the ground with his hands cuffed behind his back. Unless he had the secret ability to shoot lasers with his eyes, he wasn’t a threat.

This by 100. There's no excuse whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The officer's intent is evidently clear in the video and Im sure the defense will push for manslaughter and look for any way to worm their way out of any responsibility.The officers in that video should be prosecuted and shown the full weight of the law and more weight than that scumbag put down on this mans neck.

I find it naive that people on here are justifying the rioting/looting that took place last night as if it was part of a "revolution" or uprising to protest police brutality. The aftermath is as relevant as this man's passing. These dregs are merely exploiting the situation to engage in criminality. I honestly don't see how burning buildings to the ground, including an affordable housing complex, as a righteous backlash against systematic racism? The looting, the damage, the arson, the assaults - how does that honor George Floyd? How does stealing TVs and damaging property protest police brutality equate to justice? The fact of the matter is that whenever there is a BLM response protest, it simply shows opportunistic subhuman individuals who don't give a rats arse about justice or the "cause". They couldn’t care less about black lives... this is an opportunity for them.

The media have a big part to play in this. Do the "50% extra free" virtue-signaling journalists think they’ll be spared in the upcoming race war they’re pushing? This man's death does not need lies or multiple misinterpretations of the truth. The videos speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I didn't say you should be ashamed. That was another poster.

Apologies. Error on my part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

The absolute nonsense that is going here and what has went on in the other thread, the mind boggles.

Needless to say that moving forward as a society that the hate for a person of skin colour or their previous criminal background there will be a day were what has happened with George Floyd will happen on these streets. It will be a sad state of affairs that lessons are not learnt.

Also I wanna give thoughts to the people who stood pleading for George's life, they will move forward in their lives at the same time they will no doubt have the "should I have done more" playing on their minds, my answer to it is no they shouldn't, each and everyone of them laid bare the actions of those in charge of the situation the full responsibility for what played out is at the feet of POS wearing a uniform and a badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I don't get how those watching didn't scream and shout the fckin place out ,the guy was dying before their eyes ffs, to hell with asking the cop ,make fckin sure he knows he's killing him, someone died feet from you and you didn't go ballistic to try stop it..I can't fathom the inaction tbh..it was very restrained..

The whole parading of the lady who made the video today,I mean,she was probably advised to put on a show for the camera's,that's the way it comes across,like give me publicity..

America makes me sick,what a fcked up place with fake intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't get how those watching didn't scream and shout the fckin place out ,the guy was dying before their eyes ffs, to hell with asking the cop ,make fckin sure he knows he's killing him, someone died feet from you and you didn't go ballistic to try stop it..I can't fathom the inaction tbh..it was very restrained..

The whole parading of the lady who made the video today,I mean,she was probably advised to put on a show for the camera's,that's the way it comes across,like give me publicity..

America makes me sick,what a fcked up place with fake intentions.

maybe they were afraid of the other cops making an example of them if they did? not an unreasonable assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,763 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

maybe they were afraid of the other cops making an example of them if they did? not an unreasonable assumption.

Tackle one cop with 4 there, you are going to be tasered and booked. These police are already engaged in brutality. It wouldn’t stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

The police are armed to the teeth and not afraid to use lethal force, what would you have done if you were there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,421 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    Tackle one cop with 4 there, you are going to be tasered and booked. These police are already engaged in brutality. It wouldn’t stop there.

exactly. it would be your neck they were kneeling on next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah I saw this afternoon. The incident was disgusting and didn't need to happen.

Everyone will be happy to know the 4 officers involved have been Fired, hours after an initial statement that they would be suspended pending an internal investigation.

#WhyHeKneeled

Imprisoned.

Couldn't care less about their 'career'

• Advertisement

The Mayor signed his own pink slip

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/if-you-say-you-cant-breathe-youre-breathing-mississippi-mayor-defends-officers-involved-in-george-floyds-arrest/

Very bad argument that “if you can say you can’t breathe then you can breathe”

This ignores the reality of asphyxiation. The airway does not need to be 100% sealed shut to start the process of poisoning someone’s body with carbon dioxide and/or depriving them of enough oxygen to live

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/if-you-say-you-cant-breathe-youre-breathing-mississippi-mayor-defends-officers-involved-in-george-floyds-arrest/

This ignores the reality of asphyxiation. The airway does not need to be 100% sealed shut to start the process of poisoning someone’s body with carbon dioxide and/or depriving them of enough oxygen to live

POS just like the cop.. he's just playing the arena of "look at them rioting"

hopefully falls on sword he put in front of himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just for clarification,he's A mayor, from somewhere in Mississippi , not the mayor of where this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What an idiot Mayor, so Floyd is playing dead, is that his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just for clarification,he's A mayor, from somewhere in Mississippi , not the mayor of where this happened.

He won't be a Mayor for long more.

I didn't click the link when I posted, then clicking the link to see it's some fat white guy portraying the "we all god's something" and the liberal bollox.. I was unsurprisingly on point, he's a POS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

The officer's intent is evidently clear in the video and Im sure the defense will push for manslaughter and look for any way to worm their way out of any responsibility.The officers in that video should be prosecuted and shown the full weight of the law and more weight than that scumbag put down on this mans neck.

I find it naive that people on here are justifying the rioting/looting that took place last night as if it was part of a "revolution" or uprising to protest police brutality. The aftermath is as relevant as this man's passing. These dregs are merely exploiting the situation to engage in criminality. I honestly don't see how burning buildings to the ground, including an affordable housing complex, as a righteous backlash against systematic racism? The looting, the damage, the arson, the assaults - how does that honor George Floyd? How does stealing TVs and damaging property protest police brutality equate to justice? The fact of the matter is that whenever there is a BLM response protest, it simply shows opportunistic subhuman individuals who don't give a rats arse about justice or the "cause". They couldn’t care less about black lives... this is an opportunity for them.

The media have a big part to play in this. Do the "50% extra free" virtue-signaling journalists think they’ll be spared in the upcoming race war they’re pushing? This man's death does not need lies or multiple misinterpretations of the truth. The videos speak for themselves.
    The president of The USA has recommended bashing heads of citizens arrested against police car doors. I dont see what the outrage here is. This sort of behaviour is being recommended from the top down. Less of the outrage please

He wasn't dead enough, he could still tell the POS that he was killing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

walshb wrote: »
    I get this. My point is that to conduct a proper investigation into why the cop did what he did at the end, a complete story is needed...

All we have at present is video footage...

Don’t people want to know why the cop did what he did?

Hey, the answers/reason may not cut it, but we still should want to know..

No. I don’t care why. There is no reason he could possibly give that would make me think he didn’t have a hundred other options other than choking the man to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

degsie wrote: »
    The police are armed to the teeth and not afraid to use lethal force, what would you have done if you were there?

Screamed my brains out that your killing a man !

He got to kill him with people just watching,asking nicely..cause a scene for Christ's sake,their not gonna shoot a group not screaming people.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    No. I don’t care why. There is no reason he could possibly give that would make me think he didn’t have a hundred other options other than choking the man to death.

It does not really matter. Trump will pardon the cop as he does his other war crimes advocates and say he was a patriot. You get what you vote for

He got to kill him with people just watching,asking nicely..cause a scene for Christ's sake,their not gonna shoot a group not screaming people.

Its the USA people get shot everyday. Police shooting someone is not like Ireland where it does not happen. The police shoot hundreds of people every day in the great USA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sorry, did you miss the part where they were choking a man who posed no threat to death for no reason?

How do you know some of the bystanders weren’t also black or of other minority races, maybe they were terrified they’d get the same treatment?

They police have weapons and they aren’t afraid to use them.
    The officer waved the mace at them just because they told them to stop, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a gun would have been pulled if they had tried to physically intervene.

Over here the public would probably be able to get physically involved with little to no consequences, over there they’d probably get shot or thrown in prison.
    Completely different cultures and attitudes at play here.

Very easy to say what you would have done but unless you’ve actually been in the situation you just don’t know. I can completely understand why a person might be reluctant to interfere in a situation like that over in the USA.

Then get a gun drawn from the Asian cop stood in front of them? Maybe they get shot for causing a scene, stopping a cop in their line of "duty" of killing a man..

I hope this is the turning point for cops having a carte blanche of doling out punishment in the line of duty, this POS and his mates need to be put behind bars for a long time.

snowcat wrote: »
    The police shoot hundreds of people every day in the great USA

Lets not get all hyperbolic.

From some googling , I found that police shot and killed 1004 people in amercia last year.

A vice article from 2017 says that they gathered data from the 50 biggest local police departments in the country and for every 1 person killed by the police, 2 were non fatal shootings. Lets even say 3.

So thatd be 4000 people shot last year by the police.

EDIT, just one bit I missed, the article actually says that for every 1 person killed, police shot AT two more people. So it would seem to include people that didnt get hit by police shots.

Ohhhh okay.

I thought it was weird because I know for a fact the Minneapolis mayor had already condemned what happened and was not making apologies for the PD. My fault for skipping that detail in my own link!

Ohhhh okay.

I thought it was weird because I know for a fact the Minneapolis mayor had already condemned what happened and was not making apologies for the PD. My fault for skipping that detail in my own link!

Heres a police chief from Chatanooga. Dont know his history but hes stepping up to the plate sticking his neck out like this.

https://twitter.com/ChiefDavidRoddy/status/1265758198608400386

Yeah.

I get it. I’ve seen plenty of LivePD and you Do see perps/suspects do some crazy ****. That it’s not unreasonable to suspect the perp/suspect is chancing because they’ve already displayed an apparent dishonesty.

But this argument vanished after your peep is already blacked out unconscious. Even before that George was begging to comply with officer commands to surrender and get in the squad car. They had already received his cooperation but for minutes more they backed him until he blacked out and minutes after that.

Then get a gun drawn from the Asian cop stood in front of them? Maybe they get shot for causing a scene, stopping a cop in their line of "duty" of killing a man..

I hope this is the turning point for cops having a carte blanche of doling out punishment in the line of duty, this POS and his mates need to be put behind bars for a long time.[/QUOTE

After spending time in several countries i believe there is a fine line between police powers and citizen powers. The pendalum has swung too far in this country with no respect being shown to police or the law. This is obvious and does not need to be extrapolated on. I lived in Spain for several years where the police are regarded with huge fear and respect even though their salary is menial. Like the fire service they are bastions of society. The police however carry guns batons and handcuffs, and are not afraid to use them. You do not question the police in Spain and the antics of some of our younger generation would lead to a definite slap in Spain. The younger generation in Spain still have a fear and respect for the law, unfortunately not in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Quick As and I apologise if it's already been asked....

Why was he being arrested. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement