Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Overheal wrote: »
    No it doesn’t.

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/paying-price-human-cost-racial-profiling/racial-profiling-doesnt-work

But again I acknowledge you’re not really here to discuss this, you are here to browbeat about misleading statistics.

OK so, lets for arguments sake the Gardai stop 100 settled people and 100 travelers, who's more likely to have stolen goods on them, weapons, tax, insurance etc?

Honestly?

I thought we were. Is it too difficult for you to answer? Why is it an empty gesture? What is your proposed alternative gesture packed with meaning?

It's the politics of the spectacle..

It's bullsh1t..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

7pm DC Curfew

Time to dance.

'' we're not moving is the chant''

• Registered Users Posts: 82,773 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ricero wrote: »
    All these large gatherings. The coronavirus will be rampant again within the next month.

Many will die as a result of this.

And that’s going to suck, but black Americans were not about to be told, one more time “no, you can’t protest like that.” Perfect storm of 2020 fcukery

The systematic executions of white people by blacks in SA is a genocide. Saying it's not a genocide because more people died elsewhere is denial. Shur Rwanda wasn't a genocide because six million Jews died at the hands of Nazi Germany.

It's not a competition.

Christ.

Okay then so start a new thread about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The amount of people outside the white house is insane, is curfew in effect now in D.C.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuywNcTIt0o /reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I see. Thank you for clarifying.

But land reform is happening, it will likely mean white farmers having their land removed without compensation... something like what happened in Zimbabwe many years ago

I've largely agreed with the sentiment of your posting on this thread but you've just lost a lot of credibility with your "mansplaining" nonsense, it just reeks of reaching for something that's not there, you'd be as well off not saying anything than resorting to that sort of desperate infantile debate

It’s just a term. One that has entered common vernacular. If it offends you I’m not here to impress you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Notdeco wrote: »
    This post, and yet you still don't get it. Really you're posts are all over the place.

It's the politics of the spectacle..

It's bullsh1t..

So what would you prefer to see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So what would you prefer to see?

They should all start breakdancing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

7pm DC Curfew

Time to dance.

'' we're not moving is the chant''

Time for a full scale military intervention I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,682 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Cupatae wrote: »
    So a black person or a person of color can be every bit as successful as there white counterpart in America there is litterally nothing to stop but there own levels of effort ?

At best you can offer up individual cases of racism but as a whole blacks are as equal as everyone else. There's no laws saying they aren't allowed to do x because they are black

I was trying to write something out to fully explain - but I honestly just don't have time. I've spent waaay too long on here, with a tonne of work to do (I still work on US hours) - but this is actually a decent little guide;
    https://digitalsynopsis.com/inspiration/privileged-kids-on-a-plate-pencilsword-toby-morris/

Sure, its a comic, but it gives a context into the extra difficulties that being born poor (which is more likely if you're black) bring, which step against the great "bootstraps" lie of america.

Now, on top of all the troubles that just being more likely to be poor bring, you also face the problems of simply being black.

Some places of work are totally open, and welcoming to people of all races. But many places are not. And sometimes this is not even racist per-say, but it's proven that places tend to employ people they think will 'fit-in'. People that will have a lot in common with their existing staff, with the same backgrounds and interests. It's a self-perpetuating problem that offices that start white, often stay white. And most offices start white. Only once you start building a black community within a workplace, does it become more likely for that workplace to hire more black people - but that first step often doesn't happen, so its a catch-22.

So you can make it as a black man. But it's hard. Your opportunities are fewer, and to take them, you need to be not just equal to your competition, but substantially better. And often willing to take less money. (for this last part, the same applies to women actually).

Thinking it through, there's even more in the way of impediments, but this feels like a simple summation of some basic problems.

Absolute pathetic excuse for a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    For starters, just go about their life for one whole week without being harassed in one way or another by a stranger. I will add that this includes anyone 'brown' too, whether Indian, Pakistani, Iranian etc. I've one 2nd generation Pakistani buddy from a small town just south of San Francisco (as soon as you get out of the big cities, it gets real racist, real fast in California!), and since Trump was elected she's stopped going home for visits because she just got tired of the constant abuse up there about being muslim or a terrorist etc.

The US of course has the thin veneer of equality for the past 50 years, so we have just about moved out of things being actually illegal on paper thankfully, but at any moment any number of your personal freedoms can be taken away because someone didn't like the look of you. So maybe today you can go for a jog, and everything is cool. Or tomorrow you're Ahmaud Arbery. Or even just walk around a store without being followed. And I know this is a bit nebulous, and you can just say "but sure that could happen to anyone". except it doesn't. it overwhelmingly happens to people of colour. And if that did happen to someone white, do you think it would have taken months for the murderers to face charges?

Things I have never once had to think about or consider over the course of the past 8 years, but which my friends have to think of every day. Honestly, if I wasn't white, I'd have left a long time ago.

Silicon valley south of san francsico is literally full of asians and indians who work in the tech industry. also huge mexican population who largely work in manual industries. In my time living there I had work colleagues and many friends from all these demographics and never heard any of them complaining about racial problems as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

ricero wrote: »
    All these large gatherings. The coronavirus will be rampant again within the next month.

Many will die as a result of this.

https://v.redd.it/otmbsm1yze251

Every little bit helps, I guess.

They should all start breakdancing..

How is that a more politically pregnant expression?

Time for a full scale military intervention I'd say.

Nice username

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

2u2me wrote: »
    The amount of people outside the white house is insane, is curfew in effect now in D.C.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuywNcTIt0o /reuters

Jesus, those protesters nearly lynched the lad who climbed the traffic lights! :eek:

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Okay then so start a new thread about it?

I'm off to start a thread about it so, lets see how much nobody gives a crap when white people are being executed. Before I go though, please answer my question I posted.

If racial profiling doesn't work...
    OK so, lets for arguments sake the Gardai stop 100 settled people and 100 travelers, who's more likely to have stolen goods on them, weapons, tax, insurance etc?

Honestly?

bb12 wrote: »
    Silicon valley south of san francsico is literally full of asians and indians who work in the tech industry. also huge mexican population who largely work in manual industries. In my time living there I had work colleagues and many friends from all these demographics and never heard any of them complaining about racial problems as described above.

Then you associated with an uncanny number of outliers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Probably her fantasy kneeling in front of a black man.

Jesus, those protesters nearly lynched the lad who climbed the traffic lights! :eek:

Belittling the term “lynching” imo.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

The medical examiner George Floyds family hired to do the second autopsy was the man who performed the autopsy on Jeffrey Epstein.

Probably her fantasy kneeling in front of a black man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Belittling the term “lynching” imo.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org/

I disagree. imo.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

The man who was murdered by looters in St Louis was a retired police captain.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1267945466357927936

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It’s just a term. One that has entered common vernacular. If it offends you I’m not here to impress you.

Just as well i suppose, it doesn't offend me at all, I'm just judging by your previous posts on this thread that you were better than to resort to lazy "vernacular" used often by the perpetually offended.

And it hasn't entered common vernacular, the only people using words such as mansplaining are those who have already lost the argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

You love posting videos instead of a real reply.
    Stop hiding behind video and wiki links.
    Add to a discussion, or don't post.would be best. Wiki, anyone can change to make it look they're arguments good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement