Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Overheal wrote: »
    You tell me. You haven’t been very civil so I’m not inclined to go do your sleuthing.

I haven't been civil?

I apologize if I come across like that but I feel you're very very wrong on this whole issue. When innocent bystanders are being murdered in the streets and homes and businesses are being burnt to the ground it stops being a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

2u2me wrote: »
    In a new morning consult poll they found that 71% of American voters want the National Guard deployed to end the rioting 58% said they wanted the military deployed.

Maybe we will yet see Americas Tiananmen square moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How many dead again?
    As of yesterday, five, one of whom may have been shot by the police, and two others of whom were protestors.

This compares with more than a thousand people killed by the police during 2019, which was not an untypical year. Clearly, the phenomenon against which the protests are directed is far more lethal than the protests themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I haven't been civil?

I apologize if I come across like that but I feel you're very very wrong on this whole issue. When innocent bystanders are being murdered in the streets and homes and businesses are being burnt to the ground it stops being a protest.

No factoring for scale? Not that looting and violence should not be prosecuted, but while I’m sure it would be next to impossible to get an accurate figure, I would argue hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are protesting. Including politicians. The GOPs sole black house member protested in Houston with the Floyd family. They aren’t rioters. In scope and scale the rioting is spots rust on a ball of steel, peaceful demonstration being the steel. It would frankly seem impossible to have any spontaneous gathering of people that was void of any and all trouble. But, I certainly understand why one would see the violence and apply it to the whole crowd, just as people see 4 cops murder a man on the street in handcuffs and want to hold the entirety of law and order to account for it.

I hope nobody is looking forward to any such thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As of yesterday, five, one of whom may have been shot by the police, and two others of whom were protestors.

This compares with more than a thousand people killed by the police during 2019, which was not an untypical year. Clearly, the phenomenon against which the protests are directed is far more lethal than the protests themselves.

Yes but properties and businesses were destroyed so the police/military must intervene to protect the remaining properties and businesses. /s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

How many dead again?

Not quite sure, but the cops are racking up the kills. Protestors yet to get off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Oooh sweeping statment, Overheal will be back any second now with a stat from a website sponsored by mustache oil and soy products.
    Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Overheal said he will have insurance so its ok.

Mod: @Hunky Monster, @Woodsie1 - quit it with this kind of crap. If your argument is as strong as you say it is, then argue the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

How many deaths were in Charlottesville and all the attention that got. Was it 1?
    The same ones that were making the loudest noise about that are now trying to play down the deaths in this situation. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There have been reports of rapes have there not?

no, some pillaging going on though

• Advertisement

Yes but properties and businesses were destroyed so the police/military must intervene to protect the remaining properties and businesses. /s

Most departments cracked it over the weekend: kneel with the people. Talk with them. Maintain the dialog. Most of them all want the same thing. The vast majority of cops are good cops, and a lot of them openly condemned the arrest/killing. Unfortunately, we don’t see this from police often. A lot of the time they stay quiet. But the Floyd case is very clear and people are forced to ask how is this allowed to happen and, largely in the US, why does it keep happening? There are good trained departments out there with very low incident rates that show it can be done and yes, it shows that departments certainly can improve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

davedanon wrote: »
    Not quite sure, but the cops are racking up the kills. Protestors yet to get off the mark.

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1267823788143423489/video/1

I’ve heard about one of the cops being knifed. 4 shot in St Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Well a few factors would be required, an unsympathetic president, a willing military, and oppressed protesters.

Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Properties and businesses being far more important than human life, yes?

no, some pillaging going on though

Yeah..no, can't find anything about them yet, but I heard some talking head saying there were reports of a couple anyway..

Probably early for proper reporting on everything..

There has been pillaging alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

There has been people killed defending these properties and businesses,not sure what your point is.

You must have missed the last few pages.

The other thing you see a glaring lack of is the military cosplay. Most everyone is unarmed. Not like the Virginia protests: the message there was ‘mess with our gun laws and we will use our guns’ - speaking of casual domestic terrorism..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You keep calling them "protests".

They're riots.

Twitter is currently trending with reports from LA, Baltimore, New York, with no evidence of looting.

If a thousand people march, and 5 people break windows, that's a protest, not a riot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

See also: The Republican Party's reaction towards covid-19.

So did Trump quell the riots in one night?

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    There has been people killed defending these properties and businesses,not sure what your point is.

My point is that people like you are more concerned about property damage than George ****ing Floyd, and the 168 (on average) mostly unarmed black people killed by cops every year in the US for the last several decades. That's my point.

You must have missed the last few pages.

Sorry. Every time I saw your name I lapsed into a temporary coma.

Twitter is currently trending with reports from LA, Baltimore, New York, with no evidence of looting.

If a thousand people march, and 5 people break windows, that's a protest, not a riot.

Ah so its grand we will just ignore all the videos of rioting and looting,videos of a black man lying dead on the street after protecting his shop,of a black woman asking why her black life doesnt matter after her shop was looted...cop on as a mod told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

:pac::D We were just settling down; don't wind them up

No.

That’s how I feel. Though to be fair the first few nights they burned down quite a lot.

My point is that people like you are more concerned about property damage than George ****ing Floyd, and the 168 (on average) mostly unarmed black people killed by cops every year in the US for the last several decades. That's my point.

People like me?
    Waste of time talking to people like you.

• Advertisement

Sorry. Every time I saw your name I lapsed into a temporary coma.

You're entitled to read posts selectively, which you appear to doing if you just think its the police killing people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement