Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

You're entitled to read posts selectively, which you appear to doing if you just think its the police killing people.

It's definitely a narrative being spun by the media, particularly the guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So did Trump quell the riots in one night?

DC is now 2 hours past curfew everything seems still and dandy. No signs of panic, riot policing, etc.

WaPo live feed 1 block from the White House

You're entitled to read posts selectively, which you appear to doing if you just think its the police killing people.

David McAtee?

2u2me wrote: »
    My livefeed cut out as demonstrators seemed to be moving away. Have you got a livefeed?

On my youtube Roku app let me see.:.

This is it hope it’s not region locked

https://youtu.be/T_vZs1HqOBE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Overheal wrote: »
    DC is now 2 hours past curfew everything seems still and dandy. No signs of panic, riot policing, etc.

WaPo live feed 1 block from the White House

Does that mean Trumps threat of the military stopped the mayhem?

Youd hardly give him a pat on the back now would you?

• Advertisement

Listening to the police scanner NYC, you can hear the adrenaline in the voices.

Fcuking mayhem.

:(

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Ah so its grand we will just ignore all the videos of rioting and looting,videos of a black man lying dead on the street after protecting his shop,of a black woman asking why her black life doesnt matter after her shop was looted...cop on as a mod told me

I’m not a mod on this forum, I’m any other user.

Not minimizing what already happened but focused on the live feed. We have discussed the things you mentioned.

I hear helicopters in DC. Crowd now chanting “whole world is watching.” So probably a military aircraft?

They said “there he is!” Camera aimed at front of WH. Is Trump coming out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

This is from the Washington Post:

"Authorities in Las Vegas say a police officer is in critical condition after being shot while attempting to quell unruly protesters. In St. Louis, four officers were shot overnight but were not critically wounded."

So all still living. George is definitely dead, though, along with the thousands of others over the decades.

Does that mean Trumps threat of the military stopped the mayhem?

Youd hardly give him a pat on the back now would you?

Not sure yet. Will make that judgement in the morning. So far he’s not holding up to his own threats regarding curfew.

Tension in the air. I don't see this lasting peacfully. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

And of course you're right, it's not just the police. The national guard and other forces are out there, along with the army, very soon. Drumpf has descended into Mad Emperor mode: "apre moi, le deluge", although he can neither understand nor speak those words.

Not sure yet. Will make that judgement in the morning. So far he’s not holding up to his own threats regarding curfew.

Thas a good thing is it not?

Threaten military on the rioters and looters but cool his jets on peaceful protesters breaking the curfew.
    The man is a moron but hes in an awful difficult position right now.

davedanon wrote: »
    And of course you're right, it's not just the police. The national guard and other forces are out there, along with the army, very soon. Drumpf has descended into Mad Emperor mode: "apre moi, le deluge", although he can neither understand nor speak those words.

Hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It seems there has been attempts to change the culture of the Minneapolis PD but have been twarted by the police union led by Bob Kroll.

"Mayor Jacob Frey said the state’s intervention will help break what he called a stalemate on reform.

“For years in Minneapolis, police chiefs and elected officials committed to change have been thwarted by police union protections and laws that severely limit accountability among police departments,”

"The Minneapolis Police Department has faced decades of allegations of brutality and other discrimination against African Americans and other minorities, even within the department itself. Critics say its culture resists change, despite the elevation of Medaria Arradondo as its first black police chief in 2017".

https://apnews.com/c35e8d89079dcb7cf7021ebdb71b04be

background on Kroll from 2015.

https://m.startribune.com/controversy-follows-minneapolis-police-union-chief/361517061/

Also this this

https://mobile.twitter.com/therecount/status/1266845479268212736?lang=en

The poor cops are oppressed!!

Hyperbole.

Yes, that's another word he knows not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

begbysback wrote: »
    The nature of protests seem to have changed from racism to police brutality, officials had an opportunity early on in this to side with the protests and show empathy, instead they turned the police force on them, and are now looking to bring soldiers in.

There is racism and police brutality in all of this, fix the racism and your still left with the police, fix the police and your still left with the racism.

Well in fairness, I didnt see any references to race in the video clips I viewed. Maybe someone else did?
    In fact, wasnt one of the cops of asian descent? The race thing doesnt wash with me in this instance. The racism element always raises its head with the arresting officer is white and the arrested party is black, regardless of racial motives being evident. That is part of the problem to my mind. It is divisive from the outset. The reality is it is one nasty individual carrying out cruelty on another party. The race element should be left out of it if there is no evidence of that being the motivation. The same way a white criminal who breaks into the home of a wealthy black guy isnt racism. I would seriously doubt that he would pass by the homes of wealthy white people with the back door left ajar to do so. Some times race is just being shoohorned in by people who view everything in terms of race. For example blacklivesmatter, as opposed to everylifematters.
    For the record, the cop struck me as a guy who has been made robotic and cold by a lot of arrests and a lot of bs stories. I dont think he is intentionally trying to grievously harm the man.

Tucker Carlson suggests America's core problems are economic and the country is more volatile because of those 'lecturing us about white privilege.'

Can't say I disagree with him. Class war disguised as race war. Great way to keep us at each other's throats while a shrinking number of people control an increasing amount of wealth.

I've almost given up hope that the world operates according to any rational notions any more, but surely this has to sink Mango Mussolini come November. He's basically a fat, non-vegetarian, blond Hitler. And Hitler had clever people around him! What Donnie wouldn't give for a propagandist like Goebells right now. Oh wait, he has Bannon, but unfortunately Donnie has a fatal case of top banana-ism. He can't bear to share the limelight with anyone. Just another example of how he's worse than the worst people who have ever lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

David McAtee?

Ah yes, David McAtee another ''unarmed'' black man shot by police; except he fired first. Just as Breonna Taylor's boyfriend did, too. Go figure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/868126425/louisville-police-release-video-it-says-shows-david-mcatee-firing-at-officers?t=1591146976618

Well in fairness, I didnt see any references to race in the video clips I viewed. Maybe someone else did?
    In fact, wasnt one of the cops of asian descent? The race thing doesnt wash with me in this instance. The racism element always raises its head with the arresting officer is white and the arrested party is black, regardless of racial motives being evident. That is part of the problem to my mind. It is divisive from the outset. The reality is it is one nasty individual carrying out cruelty on another party. The race element should be left out of it if there is no evidence of that being the motivation. The same way a white criminal who breaks into the home of a wealthy black guy isnt racism. I would seriously doubt that he would pass by the homes of wealthy white people with the back door left ajar to do so. Some times race is just being shoohorned in by people who view everything in terms of race. For example blacklivesmatter, as opposed to everylifematters.
    For the record, the cop struck me as a guy who has been made robotic and cold by a lot of arrests and a lot of bs stories. I dont think he is intentionally trying to grievously harm the man.

For the record, are you white?

And if so, would you agree that you don't really know what the fock you're talking about, given that you've never experienced actual racism in your life? And please don't give me the no blacks, no dogs, no irish line.

• Advertisement

For the record, are you white?

And if so, would you agree that you don't really know what the fock you're talking about, given that you've never experienced actual racism in your life? And please don't give me the no blacks, no dogs, no irish line.

He's from Mayo though..It's probably worse than being black..

Tension in the air. I don't see this lasting peacfully. I hope I'm wrong.

WaPo front page says trump order military chiefs to “remain quiet about unrest”

Can’t tell you more Bc paywall. Also, Alabama arrested 14 high schoolers at a peaceful demonstration?

Thas a good thing is it not?

Threaten military on the rioters and looters but cool his jets on peaceful protesters breaking the curfew.
    The man is a moron but hes in an awful difficult position right now.

I agree but equally frustrating is all of his mixed signals whether you support him or not

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Ah yes, David McAtee another ''unarmed'' black man shot by police; except he fired first. Just as Breonna Taylor's boyfriend did, too. Go figure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/868126425/louisville-police-release-video-it-says-shows-david-mcatee-firing-at-officers?t=1591146976618

I see.

Taylor’s boyfriend firing first was 100% justified however.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ah so its grand we will just ignore all the videos of rioting and looting,videos of a black man lying dead on the street after protecting his shop,of a black woman asking why her black life doesnt matter after her shop was looted...cop on as a mod told me

No, but the vast majority of what is going on is protesting.
    Are you forming your opinion based on only a select number of videos?

There is definitely some rioting going on, but the post I was responding to was implying that it was all rioting, not protesting. That is patently not the case.

Tucker Carlson suggests America's core problems are economic and the country is more volatile because of those 'lecturing us about white privilege.'

Can't say I disagree with him. Class war disguised as race war. Great way to keep us at each other's throats while a shrinking number of people control an increasing amount of wealth.

Do you know how rich Tucker Carlson is? He's married into the Swanson tv dinner food empire. Do you really think he's concerned about 'a shrinking number of people controlling an increasing amount of wealth'*?

* NB - all that is code for 'George Soros'.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

77 years old, and a life long public servant murdered by looting filth.

https://twitter.com/stlcountypd/status/1267882169298563073

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Those protests in Dublin were the cringiest thing ever.

There are a million other more pressing issues that Irish people should be protesting rather than the wrongful death of a random Black man with a criminal history in America.

Its just American media obsessed teens/early 20's eejits who want to project how "Woke" they are and can post pics of it on Instagram/Snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    77 years old, and a life long public servant murdered by looting filth.

Agree.

The protests are still valid though.

• Advertisement

I've almost given up hope that the world operates according to any rational notions any more, but surely this has to sink Mango Mussolini come November. He's basically a fat, non-vegetarian, blond Hitler. And Hitler had clever people around him! What Donnie wouldn't give for a propagandist like Goebells right now. Oh wait, he has Bannon, but unfortunately Donnie has a fatal case of top banana-ism. He can't bear to share the limelight with anyone. Just another example of how he's worse than the worst people who have ever lived.

Youre drunk,go home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement