Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,764 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

snowcat wrote: »
    The president of The USA has recommended bashing heads of citizens arrested against police car doors. I dont see what the outrage here is. This sort of behaviour is being recommended from the top down. Less of the outrage please

Cue right wing outrage that you can’t blame Trump for this

Even though he has clearly whistled he would defend LEOs who used acts of brutality against suspects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/07/28/trump-tells-police-not-to-worry-about-injuring-suspects-during-arrests/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The president of The USA has recommended bashing heads of citizens arrested against police car doors. I dont see what the outrage here is. This sort of behaviour is being recommended from the top down. Less of the outrage please

Sure Karen. I suppose your type only prefers when it works in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Lets not get all hyperbolic.

From some googling , I found that police shot and killed 1004 people in amercia last year.

A vice article from 2017 says that they gathered data from the 50 biggest local police departments in the country and for every 1 person killed by the police, 2 were non fatal shootings. Lets even say 3.

So thatd be 4000 people shot last year by the police.

EDIT, just one bit I missed, the article actually says that for every 1 person killed, police shot AT two more people. So it would seem to include people that didnt get hit by police shots.

I was being pedantic and guessed. I dont know the figure. Was i close to correct?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Quick As and I apologise if it's already been asked....

Why was he being arrested. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere

Suspected point of sale fraud with a forged cheque, based on my reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s alleged he was trying to pay for goods in a shop with a fake cheque/counterfeit note.
    It was just suspected and not proved or anything.

• Advertisement

CNN got the interview with the store owner.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/28/george-floyd-store-owner-staff-call-police-ctn-sot-vpx.cnn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Who is he was he known before? His name in the title sounds like he was but I do not see much about him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was being pedantic and guessed. I dont know the figure. Was i close to correct?

No. The figure is there in the quote.
    Me working off figures and being very generous to the high side came up with 4000 people were shot at by police. Thats killed, not killed and not even hit by the shots.

Thats 11 (rounding up) a day. Taking the lowest figure for "hundreds" would be 200. So youre off by a factor of about 20.

Who is he was he known before? His name in the title sounds like he was but I do not see much about him

Hes not George Forman or Floyd Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

• Advertisement

No. The figure is there in the quote.
    Me working off figures and being very generous to the high side came up with 4000 people were shot at by police. Thats killed, not killed and not even hit by the shots.

Thats 11 (rounding up) a day. Taking the lowest figure for "hundreds" would be 200. So youre off by a factor of about 20.

Damn It. Im sure it should be up there by this time next year, Hang on are you using shots discharged or actual hits?

Just looked it up and i'm actually right. The police in the USA have a huge amount of firearm discharges every year even though they only manage to kill a fraction of them. Thats good then..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Then get a gun drawn from the Asian cop stood in front of them? Maybe they get shot for causing a scene, stopping a cop in their line of "duty" of killing a man..

I hope this is the turning point for cops having a carte blanche of doling out punishment in the line of duty, this POS and his mates need to be put behind bars for a long time.[/QUOTE

After spending time in several countries i believe there is a fine line between police powers and citizen powers. The pendalum has swung too far in this country with no respect being shown to police or the law. This is obvious and does not need to be extrapolated on. I lived in Spain for several years where the police are regarded with huge fear and respect even though their salary is menial. Like the fire service they are bastions of society. The police however carry guns batons and handcuffs, and are not afraid to use them. You do not question the police in Spain and the antics of some of our younger generation would lead to a definite slap in Spain. The younger generation in Spain still have a fear and respect for the law, unfortunately not in this country

Anyone willing to live in fear of people that is there to serve and protect them it's not a good system. To serve and protect it goes both ways, if your a criminal or an ordinary citizen. When you give up, you're in their custody your well being is in their hands. When you can't trust that they'll look after you, you have a very very bad situation that will escalate.

Hang on are you using shots discharged or actual hits?
    4000 people were shot at by police. Thats killed, not killed and not even hit by the shots.

Anyone shot at by police, whether they are killed or not, including those that werent hit. Plus , best figures i can see would be about 3000 but I bumped it to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Anyone shot at by police, whether they are killed or not, including those that werent hit. Plus , best figures i can see would be about 3000 but I bumped it to be safe.

Where did you get those figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't get how those watching didn't scream and shout the fckin place out ,the guy was dying before their eyes ffs, to hell with asking the cop ,make fckin sure he knows he's killing him, someone died feet from you and you didn't go ballistic to try stop it..I can't fathom the inaction tbh..it was very restrained..

They'd probably get 3 or 4 warning shots to the chest to stay back.

Where did you get those figures?

Seriously, did you ready any of the posts? Because each question seems to be one that involves repeating what was in the posts .

Heres the 1004 figure for deaths

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/

Heres where I got the 1 shoot + 2 non fatal ones stat. which gives the figure of 3000. I added 25% to be generous.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/a3jjpa/nonfatal-police-shootings-data

Looting isnt on imo.

If you feel something needs to be smashed up, go for Police stations, which I'd have assumed would be the natural focal point and then other government buildings.

Smashing up private businesses does nothing for the cause and just adds to the narrative of the protests being about robbing. Target and Wallmart arent going to be going out of business because people loot a few of their stores. It wont even cost them money. The insurance will pay and the cost added on to everyones premiums.

Why not really test the system and walk in to Government buildings armed like the asshats did a couple of weeks back cos their "freedums" were being hurt with the barbers being shut.

Looting isnt on imo.

If you feel something needs to be smashed up, go for Police stations, which I'd have assumed would be the natural focal point and then other government buildings.

Smashing up private businesses does nothing for the cause and just adds to the narrative of the protests being about robbing. Target and Wallmart arent going to be going out of business because people loot a few of their stores. It wont even cost them money. The insurance will pay and the cost added on to everyones premiums.

Why not really test the system and walk in to Government buildings armed like the asshats did a couple of weeks back cos their "freedums" were being hurt with the barbers being shut.

There well policed, cops on roofs tear gas.. check r/blackpeoplestwitter it's not being shown a whole lot any where else on the site

Edit: talk of riots on this thread is being used as a deflection tactic..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Watershed moment? I think it could be, depending on what happens to the killer's. Yes killer's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Here's a situation where the morality is simple to understand.

The petty criminal act of trying to use a fake bank note results in the death of a man who never deserved it.

Yes there should be protests, the police officers involved should go to prison and the same mistake never made again.

When a mob decides to burn down a police station and start looting the shops in their own areas, putting people in their community out of work, particularly at a time like now when the economic outlook is so uncertain is an act of sheer stupidity.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Interesting thread on reddit asking police officers their opinions of the case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/grst2b/police_officers_of_reddit_what_are_you_thinking/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The destruction of property is counter productive imo. Yes, be angry and upset at what has happened and condemn it by protesting but setting buildings on fire and looting isn't the way. It didn't work in Los Angeles in 1992 except large parts of south central LA were destroyed and innocent people were hurt and it's not the way to go now imo.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The destruction of property is counter productive imo. Yes, be angry and upset at what has happened and condemn it by protesting but setting buildings on fire and looting isn't the way. It didn't work in Los Angeles in 1992 except large parts of south central LA were destroyed and innocent people were hurt and it's not the way to go now imo.

Progressives tried kneeling. That didn’t work.

Clearly peace was never an option.

Interesting thread on reddit asking police officers their opinions of the case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/grst2b/police_officers_of_reddit_what_are_you_thinking/

One of the top comments from there, it speaks volumes to the good guys that serve the public interest.

"Retired after 28 years. Nothing less than murder. All the guys I worked with would never have considered doing something like that. You treat combative in-custodies once they’re secured as human beings. Nothing should be personal. Once they’ve been subdued and you are safe as an officer, you stand him up, pat him down and understand that your arrestee is at a low point in his life. Give him some dignity and you’ll generally get his respect. It works 90+% of the time.

That man was subdued and nobody should have been on him at that point."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Overheal wrote: »

Btw I'm agreeing that the police officers involved should feel the full force of the law because unless there is some mitigating factor that wasn't on either video I've seen then it was unwarranted force used by the one police officer in particular.

Well in the case of the 1992 LA riots it just reinforced some people's perceptions(incorrect ones) of the black community in that area.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Btw I'm agreeing that the police officers involved should feel the full force of the law because unless there is some mitigating factor that wasn't on either video I've seen then it was unwarranted force used by the one police officer in particular.

Well in the case of the 1992 LA riots it just reinforced some people's perceptions(incorrect ones) of the black community in that area.

There can be no mitigating factors, there is a 10 minute video of a cop killing George Floyd.

°°°°°

Overheal wrote: »

Peace was never an option?

So people should destroy the amenities in their own communities?
    Who suffers from the results of these riots? The people involved in them, that's who and then they'll complain that business won't invest in their areas. It's completely counter productive.

Glazers Out!

Back to the bull**** "look at the riots" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Back to the bull**** "look at the riots" :rolleyes:

The police officer who killed George Floyd deserves to go to prison.

People destroying their own communities as means of protest is insane.

Which of the two statements are false?

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement