Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Those protests in Dublin were the cringiest thing ever.

There are a million other more pressing issues that Irish people should be protesting rather than the wrongful death of a random Black man with a criminal history in America.

Its just American media obsessed teens/early 20's eejits who want to project how "Woke" they are and can post pics of it on Instagram/Snapchat.

When Irish people protested calling for meaningful action to help the environment, people on here said they should be in school.

Some people just don't like to see others having conviction in wanting a better world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Those protests in Dublin were the cringiest thing ever.

There are a million other more pressing issues that Irish people should be protesting rather than the wrongful death of a random Black man with a criminal history in America.

Its just American media obsessed teens/early 20's eejits who want to project how "Woke" they are and can post pics of it on Instagram/Snapchat.

You somehow manage to convey the impression that his 'wrongful death' was more than justified than by his being 'a random black man (WITH A CRIMINAL RECORD!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Agree.

The protests are still valid though.

Nobody is saying the protests arent valid.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Youre drunk,go home.

I'm not the one who can't spell, or punctuate. Dip****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Woodsie1, why did you mention that George Floyd has a criminal history? What relevance does that have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No there’s been a bit of that.

Yes but vandalism!

Woodsie1, why did you mention that George Floyd has a criminal history? What relevance does that have?

I didnt...youve got me confused with someone else.

He's basically dogwhistling that Ol' George was a black criminal and therefore probably deserved to get choked to death.

davedanon wrote: »
    He's basically dogwhistling that Ol' George was a black criminal and therefore probably deserved to get choked to death.

Youve got a serious problem

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    No there’s been a bit of that.

I havent seen it,any examples?

Apart from this guy.
    You keep calling them "protests".

They're riots.

Apart from this guy.

Beat me to it

Apart from this guy.

That poster didnt say anything about protests not being valid,try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

He deined that they were protests at all, which certainly precludes them being valid protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

When Irish people protested calling for meaningful action to help the environment, people on here said they should be in school.

Some people just don't like to see others having conviction in wanting a better world.

The environemtal protest at least made a little bit of sense (although the focus should have been explicitly at shaming the countries which are the largest polluters as we can do **** all)

This however is just pure attention seeking.

A racist American cop is not going to watch a Youtube video of a relatively small protest in a random European city and think "I'm not gonna beat up blacks any more"

Racism has been here since the very beginning of humanity and will continue regardless of any form of civil disobediance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Peregrinus wrote: »
    He deined that they were protests at all, which certainly precludes them being valid protests.

I didn't deny there are protests. There are clearly protests. There is also clearly A LOT of violence happening too... which one of your buddies completely denies. In fact he denies that innocent people aren't being killed at all.

That's how deep you are in your echo chamber.

Peregrinus wrote: »

He called them riots instead of protests.
    He didnt say protests were invalid...and if i do agree with you its still only one poster,hardly worth focusing on one lone voice is it?

He denied they were protests, how less valid could they be outside of literally saying they do not exist?

He denied they were protests, how less valid could they be outside of literally saying they do not exist?

He didnt deny there was protests

• Advertisement

The environemtal protest at least made a little bit of sense (although the focus should have been explicitly at shaming the countries which are the largest polluters as we can do **** all)

This however is just pure attention seeking.

A racist American cop is not going to watch a Youtube video of a relatively small protest in a random European city and think "I'm not gonna beat up blacks any more"

Racism has been here since the very beginning of humanity and will continue regardless of any form of civil disobediance.

You have no idea what is going on if you think the protests are aimed at individual cops hoping that it will make them change their minds.

You're last statement is bizarre, were you to suffer from racism yourself, or lost a family member because of racial profiling, would you shrug your shoulders and say 'It is what it is'?

I didn't deny there are protests. There are clearly protests. There is also clearly A LOT of violence happening too... which one of your buddies completely denies. In fact he denies that innocent people aren't being killed at all.

That's how deep you are in your echo chamber.

Who is denying violence is happening or people haven’t died??

He didnt say protests were invalid...and if i do agree with you its still only one poster,hardly worth focusing on one lone voice is it?

Calling a protest a 'riot' is invalidating it. Can't you see that?

Calling a protest a 'riot' is invalidating it. Can't you see that?

Couldnt give a toss what you think

Couldnt give a toss what you think

Whoah!

(Punctuation still needs work, man. Just sayin'.)

Whoah!

(Punctuation still needs work, man. Just sayin'.)

Says the man who wont spell saying correctly:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    I’ve been watching for hours I haven’t seen looting. I haven’t seen any political demands predicated on threats of acts of violence either.

Domestic terrorism is usually things like when someone goes into a Walmart and kills 23 people because he wants Latinos out of his country. Or when a lad firebombed an ICE facility because he was incensed about their deportation antics. Or when a man sent bombs to the media to scare them out of criticizing Trump. Or when you use your car to plow into a crowd of protestors to scare them out of protesting to begin with. That’s terrorism.

The FBI's website has their definition of domestic terrorism.

"Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature."

I guess the looting could be considered by the textbook definition, but I would argue that it's a bit of a stretch depending on whether they think that looting somehow furthers the goal of racial equality. But I'm confused by the "I haven't seen any looting" statement. Maybe I missed some context.
    Maybe this has been asked before but would an autopsy really say "homicide" on it?

Quite possibly. "Homicide" is a neutral statement which does not attribute lawfulness or otherwise, it just says "Was killed by the actions of another person". Often mistaken for "murder" which is a homicide later determined to be unlawful with malice.

Here's some more.
    I'm not falling for this sh1te and I have nothing to be sorry for or apologize for or feel I should have to bow down to anyone for something others done.....

Bizarre.

What's happening is a full on attack.
    It's the politics of the spectacle..

It's bullsh1t..

And they're just from the last number of pages. There has been quite the views expressed throughout the day.

Here's some more.

And they're just from the last number of pages. There has been quite the views expressed throughout the day.

Talking about the riots and looting not the protests,try again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I was trying to write something out to fully explain - but I honestly just don't have time. I've spent waaay too long on here, with a tonne of work to do (I still work on US hours) - but this is actually a decent little guide;
    https://digitalsynopsis.com/inspiration/privileged-kids-on-a-plate-pencilsword-toby-morris/

Sure, its a comic, but it gives a context into the extra difficulties that being born poor (which is more likely if you're black) bring, which step against the great "bootstraps" lie of america.

Now, on top of all the troubles that just being more likely to be poor bring, you also face the problems of simply being black.

Some places of work are totally open, and welcoming to people of all races. But many places are not. And sometimes this is not even racist per-say, but it's proven that places tend to employ people they think will 'fit-in'. People that will have a lot in common with their existing staff, with the same backgrounds and interests. It's a self-perpetuating problem that offices that start white, often stay white. And most offices start white. Only once you start building a black community within a workplace, does it become more likely for that workplace to hire more black people - but that first step often doesn't happen, so its a catch-22.

So you can make it as a black man. But it's hard. Your opportunities are fewer, and to take them, you need to be not just equal to your competition, but substantially better. And often willing to take less money. (for this last part, the same applies to women actually).

Thinking it through, there's even more in the way of impediments, but this feels like a simple summation of some basic problems.

I think alot of that is victim mentality and the troubles you say they encounter lack any real depth infairness, they don't need to be sustantial better there are heaps of successful black people,

I'd like to be a millionaire but my auld white privilege must be on the blink I work hard but haven't been granted instant success based on my skin color, any advice ? I'd like to use this super power of being white ,

For me I think the main issue is in law enforcement, I think there's fundemental issues in the American law and how it's enforced

There's no limit for black people in America they can sweep the streets or they can become the president of the us there color has stopped them from doing nothing imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement