Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Cupatae wrote: »
    I think alot of that is victim mentality and the troubles you say they encounter lack any real depth infairness, they don't need to be sustantial better there are heaps of successful black people,

I'd like to be a millionaire but my auld white privilege must be on the blink I work hard but haven't been granted instant success based on my skin color, any advice ? I'd like to use this super power of being white ,

For me I think the main issue is in law enforcement, I think there's fundemental issues in the American law and how it's enforced

There's no limit for black people in America they can sweep the streets or they can become the president of the us there color has stopped them from doing nothing imo

I don't know what's more annoying. Your illiteracy, or your self-pity.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Talking about the riots and looting not the protests,try again.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that the protests were the riots. Are you claiming they are all separate events now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    Who is denying violence is happening or people haven’t died??
    Twitter is currently trending with reports from LA, Baltimore, New York, with no evidence of looting.

If a thousand people march, and 5 people break windows, that's a protest, not a riot.

You liked that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

davedanon wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought you were saying that the protests were the riots. Are you claiming they are all separate events now?

No need to apologize for you not being able to understand things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It took days for 1 officer to be arrested despite multiple videos of it and 3 others officers involved are still walking the street.

This isn't just about 1 murder though it is the continued issues in law enforcement and minorities.

OK, so there is a system but perhaps its needs more oversight and reform when it comes to blatant actions and wrongdoings by police. That I can agree to.

But to say there is no justice system for the police is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Right now, there is wrong on all sides, but the majority of protesters are peaceful

True, majority of protestors are peaceful, as are the majority of police officers are good and well-meaning.

Derek Chauvin is not a fair representation of all American police offices, nor are the people who loot a footlocker store are a fair representation of all protestors.
    But for some reason, people are arguing the two extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    You liked that post.

Where does that post deny that anyone has died or violence hasn’t occurred? I thought the context of the post was clear: what is happening today.

markodaly wrote: »
    OK, so there is a system but perhaps its needs more oversight and reform when it comes to blatant actions and wrongdoings by police. That I can agree to.

But to say there is no justice system for the police is wrong.

Yes that would be an invalid statement. There is a system, but it is definitely 2-tier and very lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You have no idea what is going on if you think the protests are aimed at individual cops hoping that it will make them change their minds.

You're last statement is bizarre, were you to suffer from racism yourself, or lost a family member because of racial profiling, would you shrug your shoulders and say 'It is what it is'?

So the protests were meant to tell America/the world to stop being racist?
    What next, a protest to tell the rain to stop falling?

If Gardai were beating up black people on the streets of Dublin, there might be some merit to it as it might actually affect change.

However, a mass gathering during a once-in-a-century pandemic about an event in another continent which will not realistically affect change is utterly ridiculous.

They easily could have contributed to the death of Irish citizens, all for an Instagram pic.....

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    No need to apologize for you not being able to understand things.

I wasn't apologising for anything. But you'd understand that, if you possessed any wit at all.

• Advertisement

John Doe1 wrote: »
    So the protests were meant to tell America/the world to stop being racist?
    What next, a protest to tell the rain to stop falling?

If Gardai were beating up black people on the streets of Dublin, there might be some merit to it as it might actually affect change.

However, a mass gathering during a once-in-a-century pandemic about an event in another continent which will not realistically affect change is utterly ridiculous.

They easily could have contributed to the death of Irish citizens, all for an Instagram pic.....

John Doe. Christ, you're well-named, aren't you. Literally dead on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

John Doe. Christ, you're well-named, aren't you. Literally dead on arrival.

You ok hun?

Mass arrests seem to be the headline Trump is after in the morning.

https://twitter.com/_crypto_maniac_/status/1267665396338958338?s=21

https://twitter.com/djultrapup/status/1267635325641330688?s=21

Fun fact: there’s. Primary vote in DC today, and the polls are open later than the curfew. #votersupression

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1267954349772345344?s=21

Lots of tweets around the country convey these crowds are significantly larger tonight than last night.

https://twitter.com/mrbrownsir/status/1267984557531332609?s=21

https://twitter.com/doowahh/status/1268014895762530304?s=21

And this surreal moment. Kinda brings a smirk to your face. #TIL

https://twitter.com/pkwsj/status/1267962926067060736?s=21

And I’m not sure what this vehicles role is in downtown DC.

https://twitter.com/fitzfox5dc/status/1267891143821479937?s=21

Haven’t seen any teargas yet today, though we saw lots of seemingly unprovoked police action yesterday I haven’t seen any viral posts this evening, yet anyway. Almost as if they finally copped on.

I know some posts earlier claimed to debunk the White House lights out photo but I’m watching a NBC live stream and that bitch is pitch dark, save for 2 flood lights on the lawn used by what must be a hundred or more military jackboots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

I wasn't apologising for anything. But you'd understand that, if you possessed any wit at all.

Look as like you're easily triggered...cant seem to comment without snide remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I know some posts earlier claimed to debunk the White House lights out photo but I’m watching a NBC live stream and that bitch is pitch dark, save for 2 flood lights on the lawn used by what must be a hundred or more military jackboots.
    I gather the external floodlighting illuminating the facade of the White House is switched off every night at 11.00 p.m. So this would be normal.

The Trump administration and park service want you to know that there was some FAKE NEWS regarding the videos and reports we saw of police charging peaceful protestors, firing rubber rounds and assaulting protesters, firing tear gas and assaulting foreign news correspondents:

It wasn’t teargas, it was smoke.

They didn’t dispute the rest. trump has tweeted and retweeted a federalist “fact check” about this about 3 times already.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I gather the external floodlighting illuminating the facade of the White House is switched off every night at 11.00 p.m. So this would be normal.

No in fact. It normally stays lit at night. Staff come in and out of the compound around the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The Trump administration and park service want you to know that there was some FAKE NEWS regarding the videos and reports we saw of police charging peaceful protestors, firing rubber rounds and assaulting protesters, firing tear gas and assaulting foreign news correspondents:

It wasn’t teargas, it was smoke.

They didn’t dispute the rest. trump has tweeted and retweeted a federalist “fact check” about this about 3 times already.

Do you even sleep? it is 4 in the morning :)

Do you even sleep? it is 4 in the morning :)

Not on the east coast it isn’t.

From what I can see online there’s much less violence tonight but considerably larger crowds. Cops and protesters seemed to be less adversarial toward each other, and protesters have been better about self policing. Earlier today in DC, shortly past curfew the crowds booed and yelled at people who for example climbed up on the roofs of some buildings. Past curfew the tactics have been to coral them into boxes and make arrests. And I haven’t seen them shoot rounds at homeowners again! Reports of tons of people on the Brooklyn bridge blocked now on both sides. In DC police have been the most aggressive I’ve seen, they barged into homes. DC residents have sheltered protestors in place.

• Advertisement

I missed this incident on Friday night in Atlanta. Police smashed into a car to taser and arrest 2 college students. Video is very disturbing.

But anyway, 6 of those officers have been charged with assault and battery crimes, 2 of whom have been fired and 3 of whom have been reassigned to paperwork. The charge against the driver was dropped, which was ‘eluding’

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/868126089/6-atlanta-officers-charged-after-release-of-disturbing-arrest-video

https://wgxa.tv/news/local/video-body-camera-review-leads-to-firing-of-2-atlanta-officers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Flipping off a cop that has cozied up inside of a broken system.

Plenty of cops white and black have been hugging it out with protesters and kneeling so idk what this cop in particular did but I suspect it had some warrant.

It’s not possible she’s just an arsehole trying to get a reaction from the enemy?

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s not possible she’s just an arsehole trying to get a reaction from the enemy?

That too I guess, either applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin:

There are pages of backhanded swipes in this thread in the past day, enough that I was considering just purging the last 6 hours of posts.

From here on in, any backhanded comments or swipes towards each other will be met with an immediate card (yellow or red, depending on the severity), and a threadban. Outright insults will be met with a week long forum ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

The United States is burning lads.

Washington is a war zone.

The United States is burning lads.

Washington is a war zone.

Tonight it is? I saw no reports of that or any streams of that. Here’s one live that doesn’t show a war zone at Lafayette square, next to the White House

https://www.pscp.tv/w/caXTpHR3LTE2ODQ1Mzk5fDF5b0tNYVBZUUFSS1FegCYovbYOhzgzTPDW0JJfXlCbPy4y5d4CMlb6CJjAOg==?t=12m43s

https://twitter.com/searchwarrant1/status/1268043722413019137?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I haven't been following it much tonight but I've just caught up a bit and seems a lot calmer? Washington a war zone? Didn't see that or any fires anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Good to see New York protecting all the empty stores that were looted last night, pity they didn't put more effort in the night before. De Blasio is a total idiot.

Thousands in Portland pack onto a major bridge, laying down in the same position as Floyd during his arrest/death

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-thousands-of-protestors-occupy-bridge-in-portland-by-laying-down-with-hands-behind-their-backs-simulating-george-floyds-death/

https://twitter.com/danmckatu/status/1268004907119816704?s=21

Boy, I do hope everyone who has protested registered to vote :pac:

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    Good to see New York protecting all the empty stores that were looted last night, pity they didn't put more effort in the night before. De Blasio is a total idiot.

Him and the NYPD made the weekend fubar. Particularly the scene of those SUVs sending people flying. I saw a very shocking video of a cop, presumably as a later retaliation, absolutely plowed into that night and ragdolled. He’s in hospital afaik. Police chief on Sunday made the only best smart move their was, that Atlanta and others had cracked on Saturday, to go meet and kneel with protesters. Still waiting to see how they handle the detainees/ people they’ve corralled on the Brooklyn bridge, but all indications point to mass arrest. They’ve shut down rideshare services and cops are using undercover cars disguised as taxi cabs to honeypot and arrest stragglers

https://twitter.com/arobservation/status/1268044923451908097?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement