Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh but the Brooklyn bridge crowd might get rescued

https://twitter.com/sulaviedilejo/status/1268042942695895040?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Overheal wrote: »
    Thousands in Portland pack onto a major bridge, laying down in the same position as Floyd during his arrest/death

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-thousands-of-protestors-occupy-bridge-in-portland-by-laying-down-with-hands-behind-their-backs-simulating-george-floyds-death/

https://twitter.com/danmckatu/status/1268004907119816704?s=21

Boy, I do hope everyone who has protested registered to vote :pac:

It's funny that they are talking about voting and elections as if who the president is will or ever has made a difference on police brutality.

It's a bit like voting for someone new because there was a bad hurricane under the current administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Just looking at the live streams. All seems peaceful, especially Seattle. Like people are just standing almost completely still. Its good to see tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Overheal wrote: »
    Literally the man was talking over the woman saying what she was saying to explain what she was on the middle of saying.

What else do you call that?

I haven’t seen the video but I’ve seen this happen regularly on news reports. The reporter can be male or female, black or white and it still happens.

The person they summarise over can be the same, black or white or male or female.

I think you were looking for a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s great to see peaceful protest like this. Now if they present their manifesto to the government the government can consider it. Does anyone know what the manifesto is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The United States is burning lads.

Washington is a war zone.

Nope. No warzone going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

kowloonkev wrote: »
    It's funny that they are talking about voting and elections as if who the president is will or ever has made a difference on police brutality.

It's a bit like voting for someone new because there was a bad hurricane under the current administration.
    It's not remotely like that.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of modern US history will be aware of the influence of President Lyndon Johnson on the passing of the Civil Rights Act, and the effect of that Act on the actions and attitudes of police forces (and of state governments generally). Your point is flat-out wrong, and refuted by well-known facts.

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s great to see peaceful protest like this. Now if they present their manifesto to the government the government can consider it. Does anyone know what the manifesto is?
    Politicians normally present manifestos to the people for approval, not the other way around.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Nope. No warzone going on.

CNN et al won’t be too pleased. If no cops have cracked any heads by the time the morning comes and the only dead and injured have been attacked by the “protestors” in the previous nights(especially the elderly black man shot in the head by looters while defending his friends shop) then that’s no good to them.
    It’s hard to point out police brutality when the police didn’t even impose the curfew.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Politicians normally present manifestos to the people for approval, not the other way around.

I don’t think I mean manifesto, I just used that word. Protestors normally want:
    “No water charges”
    “Repeal the 8th”
    “Save the 8th”
    “Noooooo Brexit”
    “Brexit now”
    Demands that can be met.
    What specific immediate changes to legislation can the administration consider or make or start to make to satisfy the crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

CNN et al won’t be too pleased. If no cops have cracked any heads by the time the morning comes and the only dead and injured have been attacked by the “protestors” in the previous nights(especially the elderly black man shot in the head by looters while defending his friends shop) then that’s no good to them.
    It’s hard to point out police brutality when the police didn’t even impose the curfew.

Nicely put..

but Im sure they will find some photo image from the millions taken last night that will give them an angle to add to the race-baiting and tension.

After all CNN dont take their plummeting ratings lightly (Nielsen numbers came out this week CNN tanked badly again) . They have low standards to uphold and will no doubt double-down on that same failing strategy to see just how few people they can get to willingly watch their channel, whilst giving the rest of us no choice, when and if we pass thru intl airports again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's like having little mini Trump's on here with posters parroting his ramblings going on about bad fakenews CNN and their bad ratings etc. Not an original thought in their brains.

I don’t think I mean manifesto, I just used that word. Protestors normally want:
    “No water charges”
    “Repeal the 8th”
    “Save the 8th”
    “Noooooo Brexit”
    “Brexit now”
    Demands that can be met.
    What specific immediate changes to legislation can the administration consider or make or start to make to satisfy the crowd?
    I don't see why protests are illegitimate, or less legitimate, if the protestors' demand is not framed in terms of a specific legislative amendment. It seems to be to be perfectly valid to demand action to address police brutality, or systematic racism, or excissively high imprisonment rates, or deaths in custody, or [you can probably think of other example yourself], but to expect politicians to frame the legal changes and other policy positions that will be effective to achieve these outcomes. Making laws and framing policies is, after all, the politicians' job; it's what we elect them for, and pay them for. I don't have to do your job for you in order to complain that you're not doing your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A bit like all the posters who flooded into the George Floyd thread when the looting started, but were nowhere to be seen when it was all about his killing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thaaas Rite

Has there been any evidence yet that the slaughter of George Floyd was racially motivated?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Has there been any evidence yet that the slaughter of George Floyd was racially motivated?

Yes.

It was caught on camera

A bit like all the posters who flooded into the George Floyd thread when the looting started, but were nowhere to be seen when it was all about his killing.

Non of this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes.

It was caught on camera

No that just shows one man killing another both different races. I don't believe there was a race charge made against him in the official charges. That cop had 18 other complaints against him, remains to be seen if any of them were racially motivated and then would show a pattern.

You may see the charges amended later adding racism.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

HDMI wrote: »
    No that just shows one man killing another both different races. I don't believe there was a race charge made against him in the official charges. That cop had 18 other complaints against him, remains to be seen if any of them were racially motivated and then would show a pattern.

You may see the charges amended later adding racism.

I highly doubt it.

However the question is was it racial motivated.

The answer is the force applied by the police was as a DIRECT result of the person's skin colour, not to any actions done by this unarmed, passive man cooperating with police requests.

Yes.

It was caught on camera

There was racism caught on camera? Where? Ive seen the video a few times.Didnt see any racism,just one scumbag cop leaning on a black man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I highly doubt it.

The answer is the force applied by the police was as a DIRECT result of the person's skin colour, not to any actions done by this unarmed, passive man cooperating with police requests.

There has been no proof put forward that says he used his knee as a direct result of George Floyd's color. We all just assume that from the video, but an assumption is not the same as evidence. A pattern of rascist behaviour or testimony then you would have evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

RIGOLO wrote: »
    After all CNN dont take their plummeting ratings lightly (Nielsen numbers came out this week CNN tanked badly again) .
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2020/06/02/fox-news-dominates-may-ratings-but-cnn-prime-time-jumps-117/#1b561c501e6d

CNN, which finished in third place overall with an average audience of 1.652 million viewers, had the largest gains—with prime ratings up a staggering 117% according to ratings data compiled by Nielsen.

Oh lord I don’t know wether to laugh or not

https://twitter.com/amihorowitz/status/1267908030206816259?s=21

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I don't see why protests are illegitimate, or less legitimate, if the protestors' demand is not framed in terms of a specific legislative amendment. It seems to be to be perfectly valid to demand action to address police brutality, or systematic racism, or excissively high imprisonment rates, or deaths in custody, or [you can probably think of other example yourself], but to expect politicians to frame the legal changes and other policy positions that will be effective to achieve these outcomes. Making laws and framing policies is, after all, the politicians' job; it's what we elect them for, and pay them for. I don't have to do your job for you in order to complain that you're not doing your job.

Actually right on cue I’ve spotted this. This is exactly what I’m after.

Excellent. Pasty bugmen get a dose of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A revelation in this whole mess is the outrageously high proportion of major cities' budgets that goes into policing vs education / housing etc.

You can't military police away underfunded sink-schools, low social mobility, slum housing and a collapsed inner-city economy where the only options are poverty wages and food stamps or slinging crack cocaine.

It's completely thoughtless and the US has been repeating the same mistake for decades, doubling down as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://twitter.com/amihorowitz/status/1267908030206816259?s=21

sums up the woke left - useful idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52896871/george-floyd-death-the-man-who-sheltered-80-us-protesters

Not protestors, rioting violent thugs!

Why are the BBC portraying these people as somehow noble ? When in reality they are just using this incident as an excuse to cause carnage and streal ..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You should know better than to use actual facts against a Trump diehard.

The only correct source is Trump. Everything else is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I highly doubt it.

lol are you the judge ?
    Lot's of presumptions in your posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement