Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQzzlIHmC4

this vid tell you everything about these riots. roaming gang of looters with back packs ransacking shops. it has nothing to do with protesting george floyd. its just criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A good move.

"The city’s public school board unanimously approved a resolution on Tuesday night that will end the district’s contract with the Minneapolis police department to use officers to provide school security. The Minneapolis superintendent said he would begin work on an alternative plan to keep the district’s more than 35,000 students safe in the coming school year."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/01/minneapolis-public-school-end-police-contract

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A good move.

"The city’s public school board unanimously approved a resolution on Tuesday night that will end the district’s contract with the Minneapolis police department to use officers to provide school security. The Minneapolis superintendent said he would begin work on an alternative plan to keep the district’s more than 35,000 students safe in the coming school year."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/01/minneapolis-public-school-end-police-contract

I wonder what the parents council will think about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

splinter65 wrote: »

Thank Christ our kids might actually be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Has there been any evidence yet that the slaughter of George Floyd was racially motivated?

The state of Minnesota has launched a civil rights probe into the Minneapolis Police Department.

This will be designed to root out "systemic racism that is generations deep," Gov. Tim Walz

Do you really want to understand what systemic racism is or are you being facetious? If you want to understand what systemic racism is then do some research and come back to the forum so we can all have an intelligent discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The parents of the black students will quite possibly be pleased. Ask any black teenager whether he feels confidence in the police force to protect and defend him and what experiences he has had that inform his feelings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Has there been any evidence yet that the slaughter of George Floyd was racially motivated?

Absolutely none.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I highly doubt it.

However the question is was it racial motivated.

The answer is the force applied by the police was as a DIRECT result of the person's skin colour, not to any actions done by this unarmed, passive man cooperating with police requests.

There is no evidence in the public domain that any of the POS's had racist tendencies.

What is in the public domain that there was issues at the department, efforts to change the culture were being blocked/made harder to implement by the police union

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I highly doubt it.

However the question is was it racial motivated.

The answer is the force applied by the police was as a DIRECT result of the person's skin colour, not to any actions done by this unarmed, passive man cooperating with police requests.

Pretty outlandish certainty here...

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    The state of Minnesota has launched a civil rights probe into the Minneapolis Police Department.

This will be designed to root out "systemic racism that is generations deep," Gov. Tim Walz

Do you really want to understand what systemic racism is or are you being facetious? If you want to understand what systemic racism is then do some research and come back to the forum so we can all have an intelligent discussion.

let me guess...white people wont be allowed join the police force going forward.

systemic racism...absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

Absolutely none.

You have been on this thread for over a week now posting comments that are not designed to teach anyone anything or really say anything meaningful about what has happened in order to change things. what is your point of view? what do you want to say? what does the majority of the US and many people over the world seem to get and understand about systemic racism that you dont understand. please do some research, come back and lets have a proper discussion, rather then spitting out one liners in the hope that someone will agree with you. I am not blaming you for not understanding, but read up on it and come back and then discuss it. There are many books and articles i can send on if you need some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Nozebleed wrote: »
    let me guess...white people wont be allowed join the police force going forward.

No that probably won't happen.

Nozebleed wrote: »

well tell me what you have read about systemic racism that you'd liek to discuss. what books have you read? who have you spoken to outside this thread to try and understand these issues?

Purely speculating here, that it's a good move? That until the PD opens itself up to changing its culture of precived/evidence of brutality is dealt with, their kids are better off in the hands of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thaaas Rite

You have been on this thread for over a week now posting comments that are not designed to teach anyone anything or really say anything meaningful about what has happened in order to change things. what is your point of view? what do you want to say? what does the majority of the US and many people over the world seem to get and understand about systemic racism that you dont understand. please do some research, come back and lets have a proper discussion, rather then spitting out one liners in the hope that someone will agree with you. I am not blaming you for not understanding, but read up on it and come back and then discuss it. There are many books and articles i can send on if you need some suggestions.

Can you help us then and point out racism in the video? That was the question asked.

Can you help us then and point out racism in the video? That was the question asked.

it is SYSTEMIC RACISM.........please do some reading up on it.... and then come back and we can discuss why you think it doesnt exist

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

walshb wrote: »
    Pretty outlandish certainty here...

the difference in reaction by the police to crimes by black or white people is decades long.

A white university professor came out immediatley afterwards and talked bout his dealings with the police 25 years ago, for the exact same crime (spending a counterfeit $20 note) and how it was so makredly different than the George Floyd incident.
    Even the store owner came out and said the police reaction in this case was unlike anything he has even seen before for the crime that was done.

it is SYSTEMIC RACISM.........please do some reading up on it.... and then come back and we can discuss why you think it doesnt exist

dont bother, the dog whistlers cannot see through their white maga caps

Systemic definition:
    relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.

How is there a system of racism?

Assuming there is a system of racism, how will we know when it no longer exists. What does 'victory' look like?

Racism is subjective. Where can someone read an impartial and objective discussion of it? Answer: nowhere. Everyone, everyone has their own conscious and unconscious biases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Americans are complete hypocrites. Biden making a speech criticising using race for political gain, while using race political gain. :confused:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Systemic definition:
    relating to a system, especially as opposed to a particular part.

How is there a system of racism?

Assuming there is a system of racism, how will we know when it no longer exists. What does 'victory' look like?

it takes a deeper understanding then a definition. i dont expect you to have experienced it or understand what it means. but it is your obligation to research it properly and try and understand what it means. there's plenty of good books on it if you want to really understand. what does victory mean? thats a very good question. here are some books that usa today recommends:

• "White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism" by Robin DiAngelo
    • "How to Be an Antiracist" by Ibram X. Kendi
    • "Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do" by Jennifer L. Eberhardt
    • "Raising White Kids" by Jennifer Harvey
    • "So You Want to Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo
    • “The Black and the Blue: A Cop Reveals the Crimes, Racism, and Injustice in America's Law Enforcement" by Matthew Horace and Ron Harris
    • "Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption" by Bryan Stevenson
    • "The Fire Next Time" by James Baldwin
    • "Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race" by Reni Eddo-Lodge
    • "They Can’t Kill Us All: Ferguson, Baltimore, And A New Era In America’s Racial Justice Movement" by Wesley Lowery
    • "Hood Feminism: Notes From The Women That The Movement Forgot" by Mikki Kendall
    • "Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism" by bell hooks
    • "Open Season: Legalized Genocide of Colored People" by Ben Crump
    • "From Slavery To Freedom: A History of African-Americans" by John Hope Franklin
    • "The Third Reconstruction: How a Moral Movement Is Overcoming the Politics of Division and Fear" by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove and William Barber II
    • "Between the World and Me" by Ta-Nehisi Coates
    • "Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You" by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi
    • “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness” by Michelle Alexander

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Americans are complete hypocrites. Biden making a speech criticising using race for political gain, while using race political gain. :confused:
    its all a cynical power play

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

dont bother, the dog whistlers cannot see through their white maga caps

And how can systematic racism still exist , especially after having an " African American President " in power for 8 years ( Obama ) ?

Where did it all go wrong ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Thaaas Rite

Theres nothing more patronising than white people telling black people they are oppressed, see the whites getting their heads stomped while yelling "im on your side"

This will end badly.

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    And how can systematic racism still exist , especially after having an " African American President " in power for 8 years ( Obama ) ?

LOL you naive little thing.

Have you ANY idea of how the UNited States of America actually works??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

There's a phrase, one sparrow does not a summer make.
    In this context having a 'token' black at the top does not change the ethos of the organisation.

claiming systemic racism exists is up there with transgender woman claiming they are real women (no offence!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Overheal wrote: »
    If that’s the case then I respect their gender identity and meant no offense, however you did gender them as a male in your question.
    [/QUOTE]

I respect their gender identity and meant no offense, its an easy thing to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Racism is subjective. Where can someone read an impartial and objective discussion of it? Answer: nowhere. Everyone, everyone has their own conscious and unconscious biases.

We're the segregation laws subjective, I don't think so. They were objectively wrong but at the time there were plenty of logical sounding reasons for them. It is sometimes only with hindsight that the full absurdity and horror of past actions become clear.
    I agree with you on conscious and unconscious bias that is the problem. It is ingrained and not always clear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement