Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    And how can systematic racism still exist , especially after having an " African American President " in power for 8 years ( Obama ) ?

Where did it all go wrong ?

The oversimplification of everything is incredible and the level of political discourse here and across the media is pathetic. For many posters and those in social media you're either a raving liberal leftie communist or a swastika tattooed fascist heralding in the Fourth Reich - no room for finding compromise or common ground or nuance. It's quite disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

And how can systematic racism still exist , especially after having an " African American President " in power for 8 years ( Obama ) ?

because the US has been built on the bones of violence. Racism is so deeply embedded. the hurt and pain is so deep. it is part of the system and the structures that build the country were built to meet the needs of those in power. it is not something that will be fixed by one presidency. what people need to do is acknowledge that it exists, understand it and maybe people who know alot more than I do can figure out a way to fix it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nozebleed wrote: »
    claiming systemic racism exists is up there with transgender woman claiming they are real women (no offence!)

no its not...... and the attempted conflation is shameful whataboutery on your behalf. It must be so sad to live a life of so much fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

claiming systemic racism exists is up there with transgender woman claiming they are real women (no offence!)

You're quite correct, it is far more than a 'claim', it's a fact undeniable by anyone with an ounce of objective thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

let me guess...white people wont be allowed join the police force going forward.

systemic racism...absolute nonsense.

The RUC in the north have been totally transformed. They even changed "force" to "service"
    Why did that happen, because there was systemic secterianism. The evidence wasn't any one single act it was the totality of the actions. The way that one community had no faith in the organization.
    In their defense I'm sure there were good officers in the RUC and they were under constant attack. Many were killed or maimed.
    In America the response would have been give more guns, build bigger walls, and that was done.
    But that is not a solution, why is that so difficult to understand.
    The actual solutions are complex and multifaceted, and also unique to each situation.

The problems in American society and the obvious anger will not be solved by more force or putting the blame on black communities. That has been done and is not working.

I work in a school in the north, the PSNI come in regularly to talk to kids about safety issues, believe me that would not have happened in the 80s.

I don't have answers no single person does. But anyone shouting about soldiers on the street have learned nothing from history. We, in this country should know better than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

And look at the man that has followed the first black POTUS.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    because the US has been built on the bones of violence. Racism is so deeply embedded. the hurt and pain is so deep. it is part of the system and the structures that build the country were built to meet the needs of those in power. it is not something that will be fixed by one presidency. what people need to do is acknowledge that it exists, understand it and maybe people who know alot more than I do can figure out a way to fix it.

Can black Americans be racist towards whites?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

sydthebeat wrote: »
    LOL you naive little thing.

Have you ANY idea of how the UNited States of America actually works??

So , there's no hope for African Americans ? They should just accept that the chips are stacked against them , and make best of their lives , as things currently exist ?

My point being . A once in a generation event / once in a one hundred year event occurs ( African American President , and 2 terms at that ) , and here we are still dealing with racism and how the African Americans lives have still not improved .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I don't think it's ever going to be fixed, you still get white people sneakily trying to pretend they are not racist but they do it all the time while waiting until a white staff member becomes available in stores.

Out for dinner this evening and a table across the room had two white ladies and one man all seemed to be teachers. Their conversation was mostly about racist black parents. You pretty much come across it on a regular basis.

Can black Americans be racist towards whites?

I see it as frequently as whites are with black people. Sometimes going through a drive through the younger black staff won't even look at you, the older generations are much nicer and very friendly.

• Advertisement

HDMI wrote: »
    I don't think it's ever going to be fixed, you still get white people sneakily trying to pretend they are not racist but they do it all the time while waiting until a white staff member becomes available in stores.

Out for dinner this evening and a table across the room had two white ladies and one man all seemed to be teachers. Their conversation was mostly about racist black parents. You pretty much come across it on a regular basis.

that's really sad if things cant be fixed. people need to call each other out more and make it their mission to do so. for example that vile woman with the dog in NY. bet she wont do that again.

that's really sad if things cant be fixed. people need to call each other out more and make it their mission to do so. for example that vile woman with the dog in NY. bet she wont do that again.

That nut job with the dog needs stronger meds, clearly someone let her off them for the day. But she paid a high price for her ignorance, lost her job and her dog was taken off her. Fair play to the guy though because he felt she had been treated too harshly, very forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Purely speculating here, that it's a good move? That until the PD opens itself up to changing its culture of precived/evidence of brutality is dealt with, their kids are better off in the hands of others.

Yes but who will these “others” be MeMen?
    How many school children have been shot dead by policemen? I wouldn’t be very happy if I was a parent? Are you a parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes but who will these “others” be MeMen?
    How many school children have been shot dead by policemen? I wouldn’t be very happy if I was a parent? Are you a parent?

You asked me question, I answered and you reply with four questions as a reply, how am I supposed to know who they'll get, they took the vote yesterday, let's see how it plays.
    Why you bringing up the worst case of police brutality "shooting", as we can see here it just takes a simple knee, it could take the wrong type of body slam, the wrong punch to end a life, but no lets bring in shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The protests appear to have been much less violent last night and largely peaceful. This poses a bigger threat to Trump than looting and rioting. When he can focus on the violence he can conflate all protestors as nothing more than opportunistic looters and ignore the underlying issue and justify sending in the military and the use of heavy handed tactics. If they remain calm and non violent it's much harder to a. ignore them and b. exercise his authoritarian tendencies and use force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It was fantastic to wake up this morning and see that the protests last night were for the most part peaceful. Great to see and long may it continue. Although I still do not clearly understand what they are aiming for with these protests. Do they want Chauvin's convictions changed or is it all just to raise awareness.

Although what is not great to see is some media sources clearly dissapointed that there wasnt violence. Their bias hatred of Trump is so rotten that they are clamouring for death and destruction to knock his administration more. Modern media for the most part is an absolute cesspit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The protests appear to have been much less violent last night and largely peaceful. This poses a bigger threat to Trump than looting and rioting. When he can focus on the violence he can conflate all protestors as nothing more than opportunistic looters and ignore the underlying issue and justify sending in the military and the use of heavy handed tactics. If they remain calm and non violent it's much harder to a. ignore them and b. exercise his authoritarian tendencies and use force.

What has Trump got to do with it in all fairness? It's not like he rang ur man up And says kill the next black lad you arrest.They were burning cities to the ground and said if your not with us ur against us no one can sit on the fence.

I don't see the systematic racism of black people there are certainly incidents with the police but outside of that i don't see the systematic racism, anyone I ask to elaborate it can't explain it, black people can do everything white people can but are some how being racially abused, outside of incidents with law enforcement is live that tough for a black person in America... Are they blaming there own personal failures on racism and using it as a crutch or are they denied jobs cause they are black ?

What's the goal of these protests what does winning look like?

I see alot black supremists floating around but that's cheered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Cupatae wrote: »
    What has Trump got to do with it in all fairness? It's not like he rang ur man up And says kill the next black lad you arrest.They were burning cities to the ground and said if your not with us ur against us no one can sit on the fence.

I don't see the systematic racism of black people there are certainly incidents with the police but outside of that i don't see the systematic racism, anyone I ask to elaborate it can't explain it, black people can do everything white people can but are some how being racially abused, outside of incidents with law enforcement is live that tough for a black person in America... Are they blaming there own personal failures on racism and using it as a crutch or are they denied jobs cause they are black ?

What's the goal of these protests what does winning look like?

I see alot black supremists floating around but that's cheered on.

also many black Americans don't see themselves as oppressed nor see this systemic racism maybe they are willingful blind too...but they aren't the ones on CNN and milking the system like fellas such as Van Jones or social media wh0res like Shaun King (Talcum X)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

namloc1980 wrote: »

I can’t follow your logic about it being a threat to Trump?
    Racial tension predates Trump by around 300 years even though if you follow MSM you’d never know that. You’d certainly never know there was ever a Rodney King. Trump wanted the violent looters who have killed at least one man, injured others and caused $millions of damage to be stopped so he called in the national guard and threatened them with the army.
    This is what any sane rational person would want and is the very LEAST Trump voters wanted (they are probably disappointed it didn’t go further). The threat seems to have worked, not much looting now. I can’t see how this works against Trump maybe you can explain?

paw patrol wrote: »
    also many black Americans don't see themselves as oppressed nor see this systemic racism maybe they are willingful blind too...but they aren't the ones on CNN and milking the system like fellas such as Van Jones or social media wh0res like Shaun King (Talcum X)

where is your source for the "fact" that black americans dont see systemic racism? its one thing if you cant comprehend what systemic racism means but for you to write on this thread that black americans say that they dont see systemic racism - when this is the exact opposite of what they are saying about their experiences - is absolutely ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

davedanon wrote: »
    For the record, are you white?

And if so, would you agree that you don't really know what the fock you're talking about, given that you've never experienced actual racism in your life? And please don't give me the no blacks, no dogs, no irish line.

No I wouldnt agree at all actually. Do you not see that saying that because someone is of a certain race, them they must not know x y and z, is in fact racist?

As for racism, there is lots of it in Australia against irish people. There is plenty of it in America against white people too. There is plenty of prejudice dressed up a different way, in this country also - the term culchie for example gets used in such a way. It gets used in a jokish way also but that doesnt change the fact that some people use it in quite a nasty and demeaning way, and the intent is all important. It is a predjudice, just as racism is.

However, I dont see how that is relevant either way. There is no racism evident in the clip. You dont have to be a black person to make that assertion, and nor can a black person or indeed any kind of person who has experienced it, decide that something is racist when there is no evidence of it. That is in fact quite a backward way to approach it. What is needed is objectivity on the matter to make balanced decisions. The idea of 'you cant talk if you arent a victim' is crazy. That is why in our courts we have judges making rulings rather than victims.

ricero wrote: »
    It was fantastic to wake up this morning and see that the protests last night were for the most part peaceful. Great to see and long may it continue. Although I still do not clearly understand what they are aiming for with these protests. Do they want Chauvin's convictions changed or is it all just to raise awareness.

Although what is not great to see is some media sources clearly dissapointed that there wasnt violence. Their bias hatred of Trump is so rotten that they are clamouring for death and destruction to knock his administration more. Modern media for the most part is an absolute cesspit.

great news that things are becoming peaceful. George Floyds death and police brutality against black americans was the trigger for the protests which has the result of increasing awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

A bit like all the posters who flooded into the George Floyd thread when the looting started, but were nowhere to be seen when it was all about his killing.

I started this thread I saw when I saw it was a horrific incident. I was also the first person to point out in this thread the media spin of a racial narrative, before any looting broke out.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    Politicians normally present manifestos to the people for approval, not the other way around.

Protestors usually present their demands to the entity they're protesting.
    A bank robber usually presents their demands to the police.
    Whoever is causing the threat (protests) is the party that has demands.

If the other party tries to give concessions without being asked it never ends.
    It's just negotiations 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

This is just f*cking disgusting and boils my blood. The dog was stolen and then was found dead later on. Look how they're treating the dog in the video below, jumping in a camera crew. Dirtnag. John Wick 4 but please of IG live

https://twitter.com/SalCapony/status/1268073884714176515

EZkYG35UMAA89oF?format=jpg&name=large
    img

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

ricero wrote: »

I believe they have a list of changes in the force they want to see. This isn't just about Floyd. This is about the same thing Kaep highlighted. About Rodney King. I believe they want the charges increased as well.

Unless actual change is made and people stop saying ah well a single bad egg what can you do it will keep bloody happening. This time we have had peaceful protests broken up by police which goes against their core rights. That decision should see people fired alone. Press have been targeted from the off with numerous "errors". The US police force needs to learn from its mistakes and reform.

Why did we have a man protecting 70+ protestors from the police (search Rahul)? The single strongest message from Trump is that he doesn't care about peaceful protests. Why has he not apologised for those actions? Does he not care for the right to protest (for this he cared about gun toting idiots wanting haircuts).

I see 6 Atlanta police are in trouble after another virla video. Do we need video evidence of all dealings with the police to ensure some justice?

You ask over the demands. Has Trump spoken to the family, to community leaders to ask them? I saw Biden talking to protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I am very surprised looting hasn't started in London. Plenty of gangs/scumbags must be drooling over the scenes from the states, all they need are for large protests to start and then they can wreck the place.

Also RIP Mr Flyod, saw some of his work guy knew how to bang

where is your source for the "fact" that black americans dont see systemic racism? its fine if you cant comprehend what systemic racism means but for you to write on this thread that black americans say that they dont see systemic racism - when this is the exact opposite of what they are saying about their experiences - is absolutely ludicrous.

Nearly 25 years ago a black man named OJ Simpson was acquitted for a crime which nearly everyone, black and white, now admits he was probably guilty of.

Are you saying systemic racism is worse now that it was then? How does a travesty like that happen under a system that is supposedly racist against black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can see there’s no intelligence behind those eyes.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Just a heads up to any other users who may have posted similar, I have received thinly veiled threats by PM from the above user after I posted below.

I reported the PMs too. Can't let the racists win.

The threatening PMs have been continuing and have been reported too.
    It's interesting how threats are fine once they are from SJWs to right wing folk, and not the other way round.

Nearly 25 years ago a black man named OJ Simpson was acquitted for a crime which nearly everyone, black and white, now admits he was probably guilty of.

Are you saying systemic racism is worse now that it was then? How does a travesty like that happen under a system that is supposedly racist against black people?

His young lad did it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is just f*cking disgusting and boils my blood. The dog was stolen and then was found dead later on. Look how they're treating the dog in the video below, jumping in a camera crew. Dirtnag. John Wick 4 but please of IG live

https://twitter.com/SalCapony/status/1268073884714176515

EZkYG35UMAA89oF?format=jpg&name=large
    img
    Absolutely disgusting scumbags,.
    **** them, send the military in, nuke the hell out of em. No excuses for doing that to a poor dog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement