Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

ELM327 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting scumbags,.
    **** them, send the military in, nuke the hell out of em. No excuses for doing that to a poor dog.

Nukes for one guy? That's a bit extreme maybe, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Nearly 25 years ago a black man named OJ Simpson was acquitted for a crime which nearly everyone, black and white, now admits he was probably guilty of.

Are you saying systemic racism is worse now that it was then? How does a travesty like that happen under a system that is supposedly racist against black people?

oh he likely committed the crime but do you know the circumstances of the case? he was aquitted because a cop tried to frame him - the irony was that he didnt need to be framed because the evidence suggested that he had done it. so this doesnt really provide an argument to what we are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

almost like burning down multiple cities for one guy.

https://www.facebook.com/thehodgetwins/videos/258641038684978/

This is spot on..

"Its not the white mans fault, black people arent doing aswell in america today" it might put it in perspective when u see a black person say it.

Cupatae wrote: »
    almost like burning down multiple cities for one guy.

I must of missed the part where cities burned down, any link for that?

• Advertisement

House n*gger..

Or..

An intelligent black young lad that has educated himself rather than buying into the systematic racism narrative..

One or the other..

I must of missed the part where cities burned down, any link for that?

You missed the multiple riots where stores and shops were being smashed to pieces? in multiple cities? apartment blocks set on fire ect

You missed the multiple riots where stores and shops were being smashed to pieces? in multiple cities? apartment blocks set on fire ect

I've seen pictures and video clips of buildings/vehicles burning, haven't seen any mention of cities burning.

I've seen pictures and video clips of buildings/vehicles burning, haven't seen any mention of cities burning.

ohh you took that literally ? you wanted a video of a whole city burning? :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    oh he committed the crime but do you know the circumstances of the case? he was aquitted because a cop tried to frame him - the irony was that he didnt need to be framed because he did it. so this doesnt really provide an argument to what we are talking about.

Indeed. I don't have a clue if there is systemic racism against black people but I am seeing a lot of people saying they have been victims of it or seen it happen.

I have seen it claimed for years and seen anyone who says it attacked. At a certain point it seems worth it to have the conversation. And if there is no racism then they still need reform to not be ***** to everyone in general. 50 states have had protests. At what point do people think it might be time to listen?

We have 6 arrested in Atlanta. 1 in Minnesota with 3 more fired. Another restaurant owner shot dead by police. Multiple cases of "mistaken identity" around clearly labeled and equipped members of the press. I have no idea what else has been missed because it hasn't been filmed.

Plus the attacks on peaceful protestors in DC.

• Advertisement

ohh you took that literally ? you wanted a video of a whole city burning? :D:pac:

What was your point you were trying to make when quoting my post?
    I'm pretty sure you were defending the post I quoted about using nukes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That same poster has seemed positively giddy and eager for large scale massacre over the last day or so, including of people who were doing nothing but entering a man's house after he opened his doors to them. Their post frankly seem a little unhinged.
    When the shooting starts, bring in the goddamn military and do it now. Come on POTUS.
    Dirty scumbags of the highest order
    Should be shot on sight by the army.

That same poster has seemed positively giddy and eager for large scale massacre over the last day or so, including of people who were doing nothing but entering a man's house after he opened his doors to them. Their post frankly seem a little unhinged.

I know, I've been following the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Nearly 25 years ago a black man named OJ Simpson was acquitted for a crime which nearly everyone, black and white, now admits he was probably guilty of.

Are you saying systemic racism is worse now that it was then? How does a travesty like that happen under a system that is supposedly racist against black people?

The system is obviously not racist. It just crushes poor people regardless of colour.

The problem is that it is technically a fair system and everyone is treated equally according to their economic status. Unfortunately a lot of black people started the game way behind and therefore it would require giving them special privileges to have a chance to catch up. That is very hard to achieve in a capitalist democracy.

What was your point you were trying to make when quoting my post?
    I'm pretty sure you were defending the post I quoted about using nukes..

Its pretty obvious if you try understand it rather than putting all ur effort into misunderstanding it. Have a guess at what it means, you wouldn't want to be a rocket scientist to get what i was getting at.

Its pretty obvious if you try understand it rather than putting all ur effort into misunderstanding it. Have a guess at what it means, you wouldn't want to be a rocket scientist to get what i was getting at.

I know what the post was, over exuberant nonsense just like the nuke post.

Dog murdered=nuke em
    Man murdered="cities burn"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The protests appear to have been much less violent last night and largely peaceful. This poses a bigger threat to Trump than looting and rioting. When he can focus on the violence he can conflate all protestors as nothing more than opportunistic looters and ignore the underlying issue and justify sending in the military and the use of heavy handed tactics. If they remain calm and non violent it's much harder to a. ignore them and b. exercise his authoritarian tendencies and use force.

This is utter nonsense. Trump has done the exact opposite of what you claim and made a clear distinction between looters, thugs and peaceful protesters, multiple times.

Here's the most recent (and important one):
    "All Americans were rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd. My administration is fully committed that for George and his family, justice will be served. He will not have died in vain. But we cannot allow the righteous cries and peaceful protesters to be drowned out by an angry mob. The biggest victims of the rioting are peace-loving citizens in our poorest communities. And as their president, I will fight to keep them safe. I will fight to protect you. I am your president of law and order, and an ally of all peaceful protesters."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

JJayoo wrote: »
    I am very surprised looting hasn't started in London. Plenty of gangs/scumbags must be drooling over the scenes from the states, all they need are for large protests to start and then they can wreck the place.

Also RIP Mr Flyod, saw some of his work guy knew how to bang

They won’t be allowed. London is absolutely full of police. There was a protest march on Sunday and they were policed within an inch of their lives whilst all the while being allowed to express themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

House n*gger..
    Or..
    An intelligent black young lad that has educated himself rather than buying into the systematic racism narrative..

One or the other..

Obviously the PC crowd would never use such an offensive term. They use Uncle Tom instead to minimize his experiences and his perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

This is utter nonsense. Trump has done the exact opposite of what you claim and made a clear distinction between looters, thugs and peaceful protesters, multiple times.

Here's the most recent (and important one):

They teargassed a peaceful protest so he could have a photo op. Those are not the actions of an ally so we can safely say that speech was a crock of s***.

• Advertisement

I know what the post was, over exuberant nonsense just like the nuke post.

Dog murdered=nuke em
    Man dies="cities burn"

I dunno what to tell ya lad, i don't think anyone was ACTUALLY gonna nuke a city over a dog. You gotta stop deliberately trying to misunderstand stuff In a lame attempt to pick apart a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Christy42 wrote: »
    They teargassed a peaceful protest so he could have a photo op. Those are not the actions of an ally so we can safely say that speech was a crock of s***.

Is there not an exaggeration here about Trump's response as usual?

He actually hasn't done much at all and yet you'd swear he was dropping bombs on the protesters.

Obviously America has no issue dropping bombs, just as long as it's not their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christy42 wrote: »

Fake news.

1) Those protesters were not peaceful.
    2) No tear gas was used.

Statement from United States Park Police acting Chief Gregory T. Monahan about the actions taken over the weekend to protect life and property

On Monday, June 1, the USPP worked with the United States Secret Service to have temporary fencing installed inside Lafayette Park. At approximately 6:33 pm, violent protestors on H Street NW began throwing projectiles including bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids. The protestors also climbed onto a historic building at the north end of Lafayette Park that was destroyed by arson days prior. Intelligence had revealed calls for violence against the police, and officers found caches of glass bottles, baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street.

To curtail the violence that was underway, the USPP, following established policy, issued three warnings over a loudspeaker to alert demonstrators on H Street to evacuate the area. Horse mounted patrol, Civil Disturbance Units and additional personnel were used to clear the area. As many of the protestors became more combative, continued to throw projectiles, and attempted to grab officers’ weapons, officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park. Subsequently, the fence was installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fake news.

1) Those protesters were not peaceful.
    2) No tear gas was used.

Usual Trump administration lies.

To believe that a person would have to believe Trump had planned to walk over to the church through the protesters.

Everyone knows that coward would never do that.

There is nothing Trump could say or do that would make his opponents happy. No win situation.

and if an american came over and lived in the UK for 10 years, should he be apologising for the famine?

Why would they apologise?

I don't feel the need to apologise, however my time in the US has educated me on the issues facing those communities in a way I could never be sitting in the bubble in Ireland.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Why would they apologise?

I don't feel the need to apologise, however my time in the US has educated me on the issues facing those communities in a way I could never be sitting in the bubble in Ireland.

Ive lived in both america and canada and haven't seen what you describe, definitely not to the extent you are implying either, i dont think just because your in Ireland you are in bubble, alot of what people are saying is on the money regardless of whether they have lived stateside or not.And on the flip side just cause u live in america your opinion shouldn't be taken as fact.

So many otherwise rational and clear thinking people have been brainwashed by this ideology.
    (Intersectionality)

Key mantra that keeps getting repeated
    "You wouldn't know unless you lived it"

I've lived racism, I know what I'm talking about. Intersectionality is a crock of ****e.

Intersectionality has been critiqued as being inherently ambiguous. The ambiguity of this theory means that it can be perceived as unorganized and lacking a clear set of defining goals; this arguably means that intersectionality will be unlikely to achieve equality due to its unfocused agenda. Without a clear focus, it is difficult for a movement to create change because having such a broad theory makes it harder for people to fully understand its goals. As it is based in standpoint theory, critics say the focus on subjective experiences can lead to contradictions and the inability to identify common causes of oppression.

Intersectionality posits that an oppressed person is often the best person to judge their experience of oppression; however, this can create paradoxes when people who are similarly oppressed have different interpretations of similar events. Such paradoxes make it very difficult to synthesize a common actionable cause based on subjective testimony alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    OK, so there is a system but perhaps its needs more oversight and reform when it comes to blatant actions and wrongdoings by police. That I can agree to.

But to say there is no justice system for the police is wrong.

Well when you have 0.3% conviction rate and 99% of police killings not even being charged then it is as close as you can get to there currently being no justice system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement