Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If they are not using tear gas, they should!
    (NB not at the peaceful daily protests but at the time of curfew)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Protest in Dublin this weekend cancelled.
    Not because of fear for public safety but because of fears of prosecution....
    https://twitter.com/blmprotestdub/status/1268117690239143938
    bawaaaaaaahhhhaaaa

Delighted for them
    It's ILLEGAL to organize mass gatherings.

People are not allowed go to funerals of loved ones. Mixed families and extended families (and single parents) are not seeing kids that are outside the 5m/20km limits.

Yet you want to assemble to protest something in another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, the NYPD chief was saying it's a majority minority force..

Like, that picture of the white girl giving the black cop the finger over black lives matter.. the world's gone mad..

Well that should be a given seeing as only around 40% of residents are white.

Embedding minorities into a poor culture and terrible training isn't going to fix much.

A bigger issue is that 40% of NYPD don't live in NYC, it is tough to police a community you feel no connection to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Protest in Dublin cancelled.

You missed a bit

https://twitter.com/blmprotestdub/status/1268146995589517312

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    That first pic has a real evil looking vibe! :pac:

EZiW2OmWsAMCdlz?format=jpg&name=small

Yeah well how happy would you look if your skin started blistering 3 minutes after walking into a church :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Prosecution for breaking public safety guidelines.

Rightly so, there is a pandemic so don't turn it into something it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Nozebleed wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQzzlIHmC4

this vid tell you everything about these riots. roaming gang of looters with back packs ransacking shops. it has nothing to do with protesting george floyd. its just criminal activity.
    That's just extra sauce for the virtue signallers.
    "See how I support the protestors even though it is an imperfect protest!
    I can see past the flaws because I exist on a higher plane of consciousness."

OK cool, but once again, these are the same people who bitterly whined (correctly probably) about Gemma and Waters congregation challenging the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,772 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Police Accountability piece from 3 years ago. Nothing has appreciably changed. For people wondering what “police accountability” should be and why it isn’t that way already

Their page is rife with related segments for those looking to know more. He alluded to a few of them in this segment, like civil asset forfeiture.

OK cool, but once again, these are the same people who bitterly whined (correctly probably) about Gemma and Waters congregation challenging the lockdown.

Care to provide any evidence that the were protesters rather than just looters taking advantage of the situation?

I see no sign of the thousands of protesters that were marching together in any of this troll's videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Nobody is supporting the looting and violence. Absolutely nobody.
    By the way "virtue signalling" is just one of those stupid terms that has come into use like snowflake or mansplaining. All sides use them they're just infantile name-calling.

• Advertisement

The look on the kids face when he turned around.

Sure, blame it all on BLM protesters though...

https://twitter.com/David_Leavitt/status/1268193891766976515?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And look at the man that has followed the first black POTUS.

It is not just an issue of just black v white as many are trying to paint it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It is not just an issue of just black v white as many are trying to paint it.

I don't think many of the protesters are doing that, it is more people picking up on the odd soundbite and either being offended or feigning offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

ELM327 wrote: »
    If they are not using tear gas, they should!
    (NB not at the peaceful daily protests but at the time of curfew)
    So people out past curfew should be teargassed, whether they're violent or not?

Do you not think that's simply an escalation by police that will only result in more violence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Overheal wrote: »
    Police Accountability piece from 3 years ago. Nothing has appreciably changed. For people wondering what “police accountability” should be and why it isn’t that way already

Their page is rife with related segments for those looking to know more. He alluded to a few of them in this segment, like civil asset forfeiture.

You continue to makes posts saying "Look this is the problem, this is the problem" but what is the solution?

I believe everyone is on board with more police accountability.

If nothing has changed that's because the representatives have not made police accountability a part of their manifesto. Voters have not forced their representatives to make police accountability a central topic. Too many people are focused on Trump 'resistance'.

Oliver himself goes through a list of things that have improved under the last decade:
    • Body cameras have increased transparency and trust
    • Requiring officers to file separate reports everytime there's a use of force
    • Early intervention systems to spot problem officers
    • Or bringing in outside prosecutors to prosecute controversial cases

Oliver says that Police unions are the biggest problem(Which are elected positions?)
    They are the ones against more police accountability.
    They say the police are already being too scrutinized.

What if the demonstrators today get what they want, more police accountability. But this leads to far fewer cops and those willing to do the job. What if that leads to less policing in black communities and more violence and gangs and destruction. Wouldn't that then be called racist as well?

So people out past curfew should be teargassed, whether they're violent or not?

Do you not think that's simply an escalation by police that will only result in more violence?

It doesn’t affect him he just wants to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thats a way to simplistic answer though, you see accusations and protests of racist policing and heavy handed actions in areas that have black police chiefs and a majority or significant proportion black officers.
    The RUC was 1/2% Catholic, somewhere like Atlanta has loads of black police but they are lumped in together.
    These issues came more prominent at a time when Obama was in power, making a comparison to Northern Ireland just doesn't work on a million different levels, at least to some extent the Catholic community self-policed in the absence of legitimate authority, in the states you end up with Chicago and Baltimore having death rates higher than the troubles.

A PSNI style transformation might be beneficial but lets not pretend it will solve all the issues, the PSNI is genuinely pretty good, they are a militarized police force and have access to plastic bullets and machine guns and spend a lot of the time in armored vehicles wearing bullet proof vests, yet the people holding up the PSNI as a model of better policing will say a heavily armed militarized police force is one of the key roots of the problem, its just contradictory :confused:

Edit: to be clear you can see loads of shocking US police actions and some of them definitely need a lot more training but on the flip side not seen much practical stuff about reforming the huge amounts of different forces that operate in places with loads of guns

I know the situation are not the same but the transition from RUC to PSNI has been largely a success.
    One of the most important things was buy in from the community, and I think that is vital for any reforms in America.
    More black officers will not be enough.
    I'm not an expert on policing but I think that a massive emphasis needs to be put on community policing, intelligence led policing, just policing that is effective in the long run.
    There seems to be no lack of resources for equipment, arms, vehicles etc and maybe all those things are necessary, but it seems to me that too often the equivalent of carpet bombing is used when precision strikes are needed. Maybe come down hard on looters but allow peaceful protests to proceed.

I have seen plenty of examples over the last few days of police chiefs and police officers behaving really well, showing restraint and even support with peaceful protests. Then you will see examples of police behaving no better than thugs lashing out with batons, blinding a journalist in one eye etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Here's a mad theory:

Covid restrictions destroy economy.

Stimulus measures required.

Riots produce billions worth of damage.

Rebuilding required.

Economy stimulated.

2u2me wrote: »
    You continue to makes posts saying "Look this is the problem, this is the problem" but what is the solution?

If nothing has changed that's because the representatives have not made police accountability a part of their manifesto. Voters have not forced their representatives to make police accountability a central topic. Too many people are focused on Trump 'resistance'.

Oliver himself goes through a list of things that have improved under the last decade:

Oliver says that Police unions are the biggest problem(Which are elected positions?)

What if the demonstrators today get what they want, more police accountability. But this leads to far fewer cops and those willing to do the job. What if that leads to less policing in black communities and more violence and gangs and destruction. Wouldn't that then be called racist as well?
    If it leads to fewer cops terrorizing fellow officers with dead rats etc. then go ahead and crack down on the fraternity culture. Idgaf. I’m sure the force lost plenty of people through the years who were disgusted that they couldn’t Rodney King the crap out of negros any more. Policing will get over their loss.

• Advertisement

This is just f*cking disgusting and boils my blood. The dog was stolen and then was found dead later on. Look how they're treating the dog in the video below, jumping in a camera crew. Dirtnag. John Wick 4 but please of IG live

https://twitter.com/SalCapony/status/1268073884714176515

EZkYG35UMAA89oF?format=jpg&name=large
    img

Listen to that guy with the puppy shouting, what was he even trying to say. He sounded stupid as a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how long it takes to train to be a police officer in the US? Think it was mentioned it is only a matter of months?

Listen to that guy with the puppy shouting, what was he even trying to say. He sounded stupid as a brick.

Ah.. that's racist..

Here's a mad theory:

Covid restrictions destroy economy.

Stimulus measures required.

Riots produce billions worth of damage.

Rebuilding required.

Economy stimulated.

That’s not “mad” it’s Keynes’ economic theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If it leads to fewer cops terrorizing fellow officers with dead rats etc. then go ahead and crack down on the fraternity culture. Idgaf. I’m sure the force lost plenty of people through the years who were disgusted that they couldn’t Rodney King the crap out of negros any more. Policing will get over their loss.

That's obviously a great consequence of what's happening, but what about the great officers it's lost also?

Is it take no prisoners?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to train to be a police officer in the US? Think it was mentioned it is only a matter of months?

Police academy isn’t that long no. Not years or anything.

That's obviously a great consequence of what's happening, but what about the great officers it's lost also?

Is it take no prisoners?

Great officers lost to needed reforms? Can you elaborate?

Police academy isn’t that long no. Not years or anything.

You've to go like 6 times or something though, do you?..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That’s not “mad” it’s Keynes’ economic theory.

i'm implying it was planned.

a conspiracy if you will.

• Advertisement

And Trump is in the pocket of police unions and gutted the initiatives Obama brought in.

Here is the President of the Minneapolis Police Union (where the recent murder by police took place) at a Trump rally saying just that.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1268158743251808256?s=20

What about a crazy idea of increasing police wages and training instead of wasting the budget by turning them each into mini-armies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement