Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,768 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You've to go like 6 times or something though, do you?..

Only if you can make funny sounds acapella

i'm implying it was planned.

a conspiracy if you will.

Nah. Not of enough buildings collapsing in free fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to train to be a police officer in the US? Think it was mentioned it is only a matter of months?

Think google is your friend on that one,

I'm sure some on here would try to convince you that police badges are handed out in lucky bags

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Here's a mad theory:

Covid restrictions destroy economy.

Stimulus measures required.

Riots produce billions worth of damage.

Rebuilding required.

Economy stimulated.

Any source for 'billions' worth of damage.

Every bit of damage hurts the owners but in most cases it is just a few smashed windows. It is hardly going to stimulate the economy, especially given the loss in productivity for the stores and workforce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Foxtrol wrote: »

What about a crazy idea of increasing police wages and training instead of wasting the budget by turning them each into mini-armies.

I've been advocating something similar for a long time. I don't think this is what the protestors would advocate for. You see the dilemna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Sad thing about the current huge protest in Paris is that its a lot of good people putting themselves and those at home at risk.

Unfortunately the likes of Trump would be delighted to see that.

Sad thing about the current huge protest in Paris is that its a lot of good people putting themselves and those at home at risk.

Unfortunately the likes of Trump would be delighted to see that.

Is it not everyone that's been egging on the protests for the last week that would enjoy this?..

Jesus Christ..

Any source for 'billions' worth of damage.

Every bit of damage hurts the owners but in most cases it is just a few smashed windows. It is hardly going to stimulate the economy, especially given the loss in productivity for the stores and workforce.

All the damage to premises, stolen goods, lost trade. It will certainly add up.

2u2me wrote: »
    I've been advocating something similar for a long time. I don't think this is what the protestors would advocate for. You see the dilemna.

I don't think they'd have an issue if it was part of a suite of measures including all the elements of accountability they've asked for, changes in laws, and it was targeted towards increasing minority presence on the force.

The people who definitely won't like it are the unions. A few dollars isn't worth the very high likelihood that they'll see more of their members rightfully behind bars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

These opportunistic thugs couldn't care less about George Floyd's death.

https://twitter.com/BernardKerik/status/1268192377614872577

• Advertisement

Is it not everyone that's been egging on the protests for the last week that would enjoy this?..

Jesus Christ..

More waffle.

Who has been egging on rioting and looting? Some people dont appear to have the mental capacity to split peaceful protest from riots and looting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It is not just an issue of just black v white as many are trying to paint it.

I know it's it's not a singular issue at play here, that post you quoted was in reference to Obama being president, he then gets followed by the Confederate lovers wet dreams.. the orange man child!!

More waffle.

Who has been egging on rioting and looting? Some people dont appear to have the mental capacity to split peaceful protest from riots and looting

I said protests, not rioting and looting..

You can read, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »

How do you know? Policing should be a well paid career, so that good candidates are attracted.
    The two professions that are in a unique position to deal with young people are teaching and community policing. Both of these should be prioritised. They're not sexy and won't give immediate results but I think it is vital to get both of these right. That involves getting the right people involved, with the right structures in place.
    There is no magic bullet and you will never eradicate crime but surely the states can do better.

Policing should not be political.

Rolls royce dealer in nyc must of been looted, the black car that pulls up in the middle of the video is a 400k rolls royce cullinan. Oh the oppression.

Trump now says he wasn’t rushed to the WH bunker, he was merely there for an inspection... “2 to 3 times”

What a comedian

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-tells-foxs-kilmeade-he-wasnt-rushed-to-bunker-by-secret-service-was-just-there-for-inspection/

gary550 wrote: »
    Rolls royce dealer in nyc must of been looted, the black car that pulls up in the middle of the video is a 400k rolls royce cullinan. Oh the oppression.

There were dealers being cleared out..Like, every car in the lot robbed..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wikipedia has the death toll of the protests at +13

their blood will pave the way to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Probably Trump supporters, he couldn't give a fúck either.

I said protests, not rioting and looting..

You can read, can you?

The post you quoted talked about putting good folk and homes at risk which isn't the case for peaceful protests so must have been in relation to the small pockets of violence and police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The post you quoted talked about putting good folk and homes at risk which isn't the case for peaceful protests so must have been in relation to the small pockets of violence and police.

I meant at risk due to no social distancing.

Interesting angle from the commissioner, showing how incompetent the NYPD have been. Very Trumpian to deflect things onto the mayor (who is also doing a terrible job to be fair)

I meant at risk due to no social distancing.

Ah, ok. I'll put my hands up there, I misunderstood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I don't think they'd have an issue if it was part of a suite of measures including all the elements of accountability they've asked for, changes in laws, and it was targeted towards increasing minority presence on the force.

The people who definitely won't like it are the unions. A few dollars isn't worth the very high likelihood that they'll see more of their members rightfully behind bars

I was specifically talking about the wages which you mentioned. How do you think it would look if the police got more wages after this?

I agree they should be given training, accountability etc.. etc.. but along with this must come higher wages. The optics of which looks horrendous.

Boggles wrote: »
    Probably Trump supporters, he couldn't give a fúck either.

Such a revolutionary viewpoint, you must be a scholar? do tell more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2018/12/04/who-wants-be-police-officer-job-applications-plummet-most-us-departments/

dont worry lads, soon there will be fewer and fewer cops and the streets will be safe

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2018/12/04/who-wants-be-police-officer-job-applications-plummet-most-us-departments/

dont worry lads, soon there will be fewer and fewer cops and the streets will be safe

Load of fearmongering crap.

How many good people have turned away from a career in law enforcement because of how corrupt it is?

Lots of better people will flock to the profession after reforms.

Overheal wrote: »
    Load of fearmongering crap.

How many good people have turned away from a career in law enforcement because of how corrupt it is?

Lots of better people will flock to the profession after reforms.

they may well flock to it now that the economy is decimated and it looks like a solid pensionable job at a time of masse unemployment.

youre fierce agro man, take it handy on the red bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Of course it was, the man is a pathological liar.

This thread has taken a turn for the bizarre. I don't think anyone condones riots, looting, arson etc. No matter who is doing it, on what side of the divide they are, they are scumbags. The people who do give a sh*t about George Floyd and the consistently racist way black people are treated in the US, are protesting peacefully. Unfortunately even they are being met with violence. That attitude comes from the top. Look at the words Trump has been using when he should be trying to calm everyone down. He's a disgrace and is making sure the situation only escalates.

Even George W. Bush has managed to come across as human during this, the current POTUS seems incapable of even that simple task. No, the looting is not his fault but he is not helping the situation at all, instead acting like a child. While I disagree with it, I can see why some people are turning to it out of frustration. Having seen the likes of Colin Kapernick protest peacefully in the past, only to be ruined for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement