Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There can be no mitigating factors, there is a 10 minute video of a cop killing George Floyd.

I know that I said unless there is one I didn't see in that video. Do people not read what people write here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,764 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Btw I'm agreeing that the police officers involved should feel the full force of the law because unless there is some mitigating factor that wasn't on either video I've seen then it was unwarranted force used by the one police officer in particular.

Well in the case of the 1992 LA riots it just reinforced some people's perceptions(incorrect ones) of the black community in that area.

Yet still, it got the result. Cops (Largely) have stopped their anger management sessions on the side of the road. Policing changed.

Unfortunately policing doesn’t evolve quietly in the US. 15 years ago we were all discussing stun guns and tasers. Military surplus. And then body cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I know that I said unless there is one I didn't see in that video. Do people not read what people write here ?

I read what you wrote, I disagree. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

One of the top comments from there, it speaks volumes to the good guys that serve the public interest.

"Retired after 28 years. Nothing less than murder. All the guys I worked with would never have considered doing something like that. You treat combative in-custodies once they’re secured as human beings. Nothing should be personal. Once they’ve been subdued and you are safe as an officer, you stand him up, pat him down and understand that your arrestee is at a low point in his life. Give him some dignity and you’ll generally get his respect. It works 90+% of the time.

That man was subdued and nobody should have been on him at that point."

I am sure most policemen would be disgusted by the behaviour and see how evil this man is yet people will still try to justify what he did.

There are other cases where you could see some reasoning of the policeman, they were scared or acted too quickly; this is just evil. Ten minutes he sat on that man.

Well this thread has taken a funny turn.

People advocating for police stations being attacked "if you feel that something needs to be smashed up"

Saying peace is never an option...

What happened was an absolute disgrace. No doubt. And lets hope that when all is said and done, the policemen involved are punished to the extent of the law.

But the idiocy of the absolute bull**** being spouted by people advocating violence and smashing up of police stations is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭Homelander

Back to the bull**** "look at the riots" :rolleyes:

You do know that condemning rioters and looters who are destroying the community doesn't actually equate to somehow supporting the police officer who killed George Floyd?

The police officer is clearly a scumbag and deserves to go to jail.

Those that are using the incident to go around looting, smashing and destroying - and overshadowing the real, valid protestors - are also a shower of lowlifes.

nullzero wrote: »
    The police officer who killed George Floyd deserves to go to prison.

People destroying their own communities as means of protest is insane.

Which of the two statements are false?

That the riots have a relevance in this thread, which has the title of cop killing George Floyd.

Other posters have tried to use the riots as a deflection from the killing of George Floyd.

I read what you wrote, I disagree. Simples!

On which part the part where I said that the police officers should face the full force of the law or the riot part ?

That the riots have a relevance in this thread, which has the title of cop killing George Floyd.

Other posters have tried to use the riots as a deflection from the killing of George Floyd.

No they ****ing haven't. I have said that the rioting is counter productive and takes away from the real story which is the murder of a man where there was no justification for in any way shape or form. If you want to twist that then that's on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Morons looting and burning their own city.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Peace was never an option?

So people should destroy the amenities in their own communities?
    Who suffers from the results of these riots? The people involved in them, that's who and then they'll complain that business won't invest in their areas. It's completely counter productive.

Run by the same kind of people who were upset about kneeling at an NFL game. Not all of them, of course. But it does the job protestors want and that is to express their physical manifestation of outrage to the police and to the nation.

It’s about issues bigger than “who will invest in our business park.” It’s about “our officers are killing us in custody.” Like Covid and the economy this is about much bigger issues than profits.

Homelander wrote: »
    You do know that condemning rioters and looters who are destroying the community doesn't actually equate to somehow supporting the police officer who killed George Floyd?

The police officer is clearly a scumbag and deserves to go to jail.

Those that are using the incident to go around looting, smashing and destroying - and overshadowing the real, valid protestors - are also a shower of lowlifes.

People on this thread have used the riots as a deflection. the riots and why they're happening and society implications of it, is this the thread for it?

Imo, no it isn't.. a man's life is worth a whole lot more then bricks and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Btw I'm agreeing that the police officers involved should feel the full force of the law because unless there is some mitigating factor that wasn't on either video I've seen then it was unwarranted force used by the one police officer in particular.

Well in the case of the 1992 LA riots it just reinforced some people's perceptions(incorrect ones) of the black community in that area.

Ah come on! What mitigating factor can you possibly think of that would justify killing a handcuffed, incapacitated man by kneeling on his neck for ten minutes, while he pleaded for his life?

People on this thread have used the riots as a deflection. the riots and why they're happening and society implications of it, is this the thread for it?

Imo, no it isn't.. a man's life is worth a whole lot more then bricks and mortar.

In fairness I haven't seen every post but for the main, almost every person commenting has said how wrong this whole horrific incident was.

It is also possible to note that looting and riots are helping no-one

No they ****ing haven't. I have said that the rioting is counter productive and takes away from the real story which is the murder of a man where there was no justification for in any way shape or form. If you want to twist that then that's on you.

Go back and look for walshb posts, there's two others.. they have shown more outrage for the rioting then what has went on with George Floyd.

My end of this discussion, it has happened. Read the thread from today.

Well this thread has taken a funny turn.

People advocating for police stations being attacked "if you feel that something needs to be smashed up"

Saying peace is never an option...

What happened was an absolute disgrace. No doubt. And lets hope that when all is said and done, the policemen involved are punished to the extent of the law.

But the idiocy of the absolute bull**** being spouted by people advocating violence and smashing up of police stations is ridiculous.

Because it’s really not.

Progressives have tried peaceful means of change and protest. It wasn’t just ignored but it was attacked.

What peaceful options have they been given that aren’t an insult to their citizenship?

Overheal wrote: »
    Because it’s really not.

Progressives have tried peaceful means of change and protest. It wasn’t just ignored but it was attacked.

What peaceful options have they been given that aren’t an insult to their citizenship?

So what now? Violence is the answer?

And when you say progressives, who do you mean?

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Ah come on! What mitigating factor can you possibly think of that would justify killing a handcuffed, incapacitated man by kneeling on his neck for ten minutes, while he pleaded for his life?

I said unless which I haven't seen yet and I've not seen it because there isn't one to justify what happened. I was surprised the officers were fired as quickly as they were because normally they are suspended. I'll never understand US policing and the culture behind it. Obviously, you can't generalise every police officer in the US but there are clearly so who get off on the power they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'm afraid I can't watch the full clip. Rte showed the relevant part and I felt disgusted.
    There is no excusing it. Absolutely disgusting way to treat the man. To read posters here saying bystanders were pleading with them to stop.
    The poor man.
    There has to be murder charges brought here I think and let the officer defend his case. The scumbag

Go back and look for walshb posts, there's two others.. they have shown more outrage for the rioting then what has went on with George Floyd.

My end of this discussion, it has happened. Read the thread from today.

I did and if you read the thread you'll see I disagree with his take earlier today.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I can't watch the full clip. Rte showed the relevant part and I felt disgusted.
    There is no excusing it. Absolutely disgusting way to treat the man. To read posters here saying bystanders were pleading with them to stop.
    The poor man.
    There has to be murder charges brought here I think and let the officer defend his case. The scumbag

I wish I hadn't either in hindsight. A man litterally dying on camera. I mean US police baffles me at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Because it’s really not.

Burning down buildings and privately owned businesses in your local area will affect their daily lives long after this incident is inevitably forgotten.
    They would be better off if an organised element within the rioting group gathered personal information about individual police officers. Ie home addresses, family members etc and act on that.

Depends on if they are more interested in an excuse to steal a new TV or actually take revenge on police officers.

Waging battle with the highly funded, heavily armed police on the street will only end up with one winner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I said unless which I haven't seen yet and I've not seen it because there isn't one to justify what happened. I was surprised the officers were fired as quickly as they were because normally they are suspended. I'll never understand US policing and the culture behind it. Obviously, you can't generalise every police officer in the US but there are clearly so who get off on the power they hold.

Then why even bring a mitigating factor into the conversation when you clearly know there isn't one?!

So what now? Violence is the answer?

And when you say progressives, who do you mean?

I mean people who have been for years calling for police reforms. Most of whom aren’t bearers of weapons. They don’t have the same privilege as conservatives to march into a legislative building armed in military cosplay.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Then why even bring a mitigating factor into the conversation when you clearly know there isn't one?!

Did I say what the mitigating factor was ? No, I said unless there was one which when watching the video of the initial arrest from the security cam footage that NBC got you see there isn't one. The police claimed there was one after the incident.

I mean people who have been for years calling for police reforms. Most of whom aren’t bearers of weapons. They don’t have the same privilege as conservatives to march into a legislative building armed in military cosplay.

I don't know how those eijits were allowed do that and then hang an effigy of the governor of Kentucky outside his residence and think that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Did I say what the mitigating factor was ? No, I said unless there was one which when watching the video of the initial arrest from the security cam footage that NBC got you see there isn't one. The police claimed there was one after the incident.

What mitigating factor could there possibly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Morons looting and burning their own city.

Yeah and that observation might seem clever but in reality what should they loot and burn? A neighbouring city, go to Washington and do it there.

Ideally they wouldn't loot or burn (or need to protest in the first place) anywhere.

What I see when I see people do something so apparently mindless, is people who are in massive pain and anxiety caused by unfair treatment.

People who are happy and have a fair shake at life, by and large don't do things like this. It's not a coincidence that the protest came directly after the Floyd killing. The fact is that this couldn't have happened to a white person in a wealthy area. You'd be fairly cross yourself if this was happening to your people and the state wasn't inclined to act.

Even Fox News and Trump aren't defending this one.

So they should trash and destroy police stations in protest?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I don't know how those eijits were allowed do that and then hang an effigy of the governor of Kentucky outside his residence and think that's okay.

It's an open carry state. No damage was done . No buildings burnt. No rioting. No looting. No throwing stones at police.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement