Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

vladmydad wrote: »
    This talking point that police “disproportionately” targets black people. They are 13% of the population but commit 39% of crime and 51% of murders. Therefore they’re much more likely to encounter the police.

:rolleyes:

No suspecting that the reason they committed more of the crimes on the book might have to do with being targeted by police more fiercely?

Police unions overwhelmingly donate to the Democrats

Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Cupatae wrote: »
    This is what BLM have enabled to happen..

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3029186123829162&id=153657598048710&comment_id=255369372458114&notif_t=comment_mention&notif_id=1591206405143540&ref=m_notif

Get comfortable with the truth this is what black people are doing right now.

They aren't being condemned by BLM ,

That's the real truth there that's what's actually happening. Notice it's white people being beaten and attacked I'm sorry but the more I see if these riots the more it highlights how RACIST black people are. I know it's never talk about and glossed over but it's in ur face now.

The hollow words of BLM will be of little comfort to the people savagely attacked in that vid.

I’ve seen countless people posting about how they were bullied and harassed by black people. How unbelievably homophobic they are. Also more white people are physicality assaulted by black people than the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

the more I see if these riots the more it highlights how RACIST black people are. I know it's never talk about and glossed over but it's in ur face now

"It's not racist because 200 years ago"

A person's skin tone has no effect on their propensity to be or act racist. There are bad apples among us all.

That black people have been given carte blanche to act out these racist propensities against white people in recent times (akin to black people exclusively having the privilege of using the 'n' word) is a soft bigotry of low expectation.

Overheal wrote: »
    Evidence?

It’s a well known fact, it’s registered. You can see who each union donates too. It’s a legal requirement. same with School unions that’s why democrats resist educational reforms.

• Advertisement

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3029186123829162&id=153657598048710&comment_id=255369372458114&notif_t=comment_mention&notif_id=1591206405143540&ref=m_notif

That's the real truth there that's what's actually happening. Notice it's white people being beaten and attacked I'm sorry but the more I see if these riots the more it highlights how RACIST black people are. I know it's never talk about and glossed over but it's in ur face now.

The hollow words of BLM will be of little comfort to the people savagely attacked in that vid.

Actually they are being condemned by BLM and BLM actually policed looters for the police. Loads of video evidence online. Here’s just one

https://twitter.com/eastbostondn/status/1267262730198753283?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No suspecting that the reason they committed more of the crimes on the book might have to do with being targeted by police more fiercely?

Just more excuses this, eh? Always someone else’s fault, isn’t it?

Not just on this, but life in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Police unions overwhelmingly donate to the Democrats

Link?

So the police make them murder people ?

It’s a well known fact, it’s registered. You can see who each union donates too. It’s a legal requirement. same with School unions that’s why democrats resist educational reforms.

So can you prove it? This is your claim.

In fact Police Unions have been cozy to Republicans for yeeears

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-gop-and-police-unions-a-love-story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Actually they are being condemned by BLM and BLM actually policed looters for the police. Loads of video evidence online. Here’s just one

https://twitter.com/eastbostondn/status/1267262730198753283?s=21
    BLM didn't kill the looters for the police though so no credit earned.

walshb wrote: »
    Just more excuses this, eh? Always someone else’s fault, isn’t it?

Not just on this, but life in general..

So my post is an excuse but not the misleading statistic?

Sure got you boss

Very non constructive reflection that doesn’t invalidate what I said.

And it makes no logical sense.

“If” black people really believe that they are being unfairly targeted, would they not try keep out of trouble more, as opposed to causing trouble more?

Guys, we seriously need to remove skin color here.

Cops target people. Not colours. And they target people based off several factors, and the whole racist angle is absolute minuscule. It’s a red herring..

They absolutely mainly target people who warrant their targeting and attention..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It's really frustrating me seeing the amount of messages on LinkedIn from senior business people in the US saying how appalled they are at what happened and how it goes against the values that they and their company stand for. Virtue signalling at its finest. It's easy to jump on a bandwagon like this because it is clearly wrong and cannot be viewed as anything but wrong by right minded people.

Unless these CEOs were out there backing Colin Kaepernick when he was protesting then their platitudes now are worthless. Kaepernick was out there protesting against the mindset that is at the root of what happened to George Floyd. Then was the time to make some noise about the race issue in the US because if there was near-universal backing for Kaepernick like there is near universal condemnation of Floyd's killers, then perhaps Floyd's murder might not have happened. But instead Kaepernick got blackballed and corporate America, generally, was silent about the whole thing. It's easy to comment now but it would have taken some proper backbone and moral fibre to back Kaepernick.

If you weren't willing to comment then, don't comment now. For anyone who does, in the name of their company, it's cynical exploitation of someone's death to further their business in my opinion.

The multi-billion-dollar US company I work for has done this exact same and it has infuriated a lot of our culturally diverse staff base. They didn't support staff having a vigil for something like this before or wear a badge or pin in support as it was classed as politically motivated. Double standards.

2u2me wrote: »
    Well that may be true, although it does sound more like a theory of yours or perhaps someone you heard it off.

Why do the Unions say they oppose police reform? Do you know?

They don't see there being a problem and fought against everything Obama tried to do

So my post is an excuse but not the misleading statistic?

Sure got you boss

Your post is a nonsense...

Misleading statistic? It’s just a statistic. You’re the one trying to make it misleading.. nobody else.

And it makes no logical sense.

“If” black people really believe that they are being unfairly targeted, would they not try keep out of trouble more, as opposed to causing trouble more?

Guys, we seriously need to remove skin color here.

Cops target people. Not colours. And they target people based off several factors, and the whole racist angle is absolute minuscule. It’s a red herring..

They absolutely mainly target people who warrant their targeting and attention..

So does this explain away the fact most stops by police on blacks are completely unjustified? 75% or so in some studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking at these riots, it's difficult to get a true picture of who is kicking up because of legitimate grievances with the system, who is being an opportunist and who is being a provocateur, but then if you're getting your information on the riots through the media and the echo chambers of the Internet, that'll probably happen.

You can bet that news outlets such as RT and Al Jazeera are reporting on the ongoing US riots in a markedly different fashion to domestic American news outlets, and why is that? If RT has an agenda about pushing a certain version of events, does FOX news not have the same? But then, if everyone has an agenda, no-one can be telling the real truth, but isn't it this kind of bad-faith thinking which has really poisoned politics over the last 10 years?

Appeals for calm and non-violence in the protests comes from the right place, but it's a catch-22. Violence gets you painted as a thug who just wants to interfere with ordinary, decent people and their lives. Non-violence gets you painted as "Aw, isn't that cute? Look, everybody. They think they're changing things. Bless their hearts. I'd love to 'protest' alongside you guys, but *some* of us have work in the morning.". So, honestly, what do you do? It seems like there is a way to undermine either type of protest.

But the funny thing is that nearly every nation has at least one violent insurrection that is celebrated in its past. If you were to call those events thuggery, you would at best be called a contrarian by most of your countrymen. But is that not what they'd all be called if they'd happened today instead of 100 or 200 years ago? The guerrilla leader is always a scoundrel right up until the capitol building is taken.

• Advertisement

So does this explain away the fact most stops by police on blacks are completely unjustified? 75% or so in some studies.

Unjustified why?

What is so wrong with police stopping people. We need a lot more of it. And if you’re behaving and doing nothing wrong, then what’s the big issue..

So, whomever the police stop, who cares. If all is in order, away you go.

Police stop people. Not colours. We are all equally subject to the possibility of being stopped..

You just keep digging to try and make this about racism...it’s pathetic.

The unions, police and mayors in Oakland and Baltimore have been black and democrat for decades.

Why have there not been reforms there.

So you're saying BLM doesn't condemn but then later say their words are hollow.

If Tucker is your source of media I can see why you think only white people are impacted. Many minority stores were robbed and there were pages of people posting the death of a black former police officer. BLM continuously stress for peaceful protests and condemn those that do different.

There is simply no way I'm watching a full Tucker show of fearmongering. What specific point do you want to focus on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Reports of the charge being upped to 1st degree murder..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

What are the percentages for others?

Unjustified why?

What is so wrong with police stopping people. We need a lot more of it. And if you’re behaving and doing nothing wrong, then what’s the big issue..

So, whomever the police stop, who cares. If all is in order, away you go.

Police stop people. Not colours. We are all equally subject to the possibility of being stopped..

You just keep digging to try and make this about racism...it’s pathetic.

Unjustified because upon review the LEO had no lawful grounds for making the stops. Eg. When you pull someone over for a broken tail light but there is no broken light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So you're saying BLM doesn't condemn but then later say their words are hollow.

If Tucker is your source of media I can see why you think only white people are impacted. Many minority stores were robbed and there were pages of people posting the death of a black former police officer. BLM continuously stress for peaceful protests and condemn those that do different.

There is simply no way I'm watching a full Tucker show of fearmongering. What specific point do you want to focus on?

As far as I can see BLM is organised racism , it's fear mongering ? It's video footage of groups of black people viciously attacking white people I don't doubt you don't want to watch it , it'd shatter your clean image perception of BLM , hang on I've another vid for u where you can hear it from the horses mouth.

https://youtu.be/tRdc2kEQ1is

Published October 14, 2015

A lot has changed in those 6 years and even then I don't see anything in that which even backs up you point back then.

Anything more up to date and maybe that supports your opinion?

Unions are coming out supporting Trump and though I would suspect some lobbying still occurs they definitely don't 'overwhelmingly' support democrats

2u2me wrote: »
    The unions, police and mayors in Oakland and Baltimore have been black and democrat for decades.

Why have there not been reforms there.

Major resistance from the police unions.

• Advertisement

The thing is, all this talk of police reform(sorry from me), because there has been already a lot of police reform.

What protestors seem to be doing is calling for blood, those 4 officers getting hung, drawn and quartered they would still walk away shaking their heads 'not good enough for them'.

We live in a society of laws and justice, and if things need to reform they surely need to identify a way to reform.

Otherwise its just bloodthirst.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement