Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What mitigating factor could there possibly be?

Ask the Minnesota police dept as they said there was a mitigating factor. The second video nbc has showed the whole event and there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,764 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't know how those eijits were allowed do that and then hang an effigy of the governor of Kentucky outside his residence and think that's okay.

The effigy guy lost his job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ask the Minnesota police dept as they said there was a mitigating factor. The second video nbc has showed the whole event and there isn't one.

Right so none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Did I say what the mitigating factor was ? No, I said unless there was one which when watching the video of the initial arrest from the security cam footage that NBC got you see there isn't one. The police claimed there was one after the incident.

You said the police should feel the full force of the law UNLESS there is some mitigating factor which you haven't seen. But in the next breath you say there can be no mitigating factor for what they did. You're contradicting yourself.
    There is no UNLESS.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's an open carry state. No damage was done . No buildings burnt. No rioting. No looting. No throwing stones at police.

Just because no damage was done doesn't mean what they did was right and certainly hanging effigies of elected governors isn't okay IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,764 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So they should trash and destroy police stations in protest?

What a loaded question.

Overheal wrote: »
    The effigy guy lost his job

Gutted for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Just because no damage was done doesn't mean what they did was right and certainly hanging effigies of elected governors isn't okay IMO.

Peaceful protest is a pillar of democracy.

Rioting, vandalism, looting, throwing stones at police isnt

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    You said the police should feel the full force of the law UNLESS there is some mitigating factor which you haven't seen. But in the next breath you say there can be no mitigating factor for what they did. You're contradicting yourself.
    There is no UNLESS.

I'm not trying to contradict myself. I worded it poorly.

How is brandishing weapons in a building peaceful ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

When a guy is handcuffed can they not have a rule to esentially leave them stand up, people are no danger when they are handcuffed, was no need to have the man in the ground first place never minfd have a knee on his neck, if you cant breathe you are going to panic and resist as you are fighting for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah and that observation might seem clever but in reality what should they loot and burn? A neighbouring city, go to Washington and do it there.

You make your stand at relevant buildings to the people you have issue with. Police stations, government buildings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

How is brandishing weapons in a building peaceful ?

It's an open carry state. It's normal , accepted and legal

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    There is no UNLESS.

Burn. Everything you saw on tape is the only possible explanation. But how dare you even open up the possibility that there may be mitigating circumstances. I mean, there isn't one here but there was in other cases so jumping on a bandwagon before all facts are gathered is obviously the right thing to do.... No caveats.

For the record, my opinion is that what happened is a disgrace. If all reports and videos are true, those men should be properly punished.

I can't see how anything would give reason for a police officer to act like he did and it would take extraordinary evidence for me to change my mind.

I think that's what the other guy was saying

You make you stand at relevant buildings to the people you have issue with. Police stations, government buildings.

After 9/11 should people have gone to mosques? Fire bomb the Saudi embassy? Issue with travellers? Loot pavee point.
    Get a grip man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'm not trying to contradict myself. I worded it poorly.

No probs dude. Just reads badly is all...

"unless there is some mitigating factor that wasn't on either video I've seen then"...

"Unless" and "then" just implies the hint that there may be some justification out there, which as you've rightly stated there isn't and cannot be.

Burn. Everything you saw on tape is the only possible explanation. But how dare you even open up the possibility that there may be mitigating circumstances. I mean, there isn't one here but there was in other cases so jumping on a bandwagon before all facts are gathered is obviously the right thing to do.... No caveats.

For the record, my opinion is that what happened is a disgrace. If all reports and videos are true, those men should be properly punished.

I can't see how anything would give reason for a police officer to act like he did and it would take extraordinary evidence for me to change my mind.

That's what I was trying to say but failed miserably.

After 9/11 should people have gone to mosques? Fire bomb the Saudi embassy? Issue with travellers? Loot pavee point.
    Get a grip man.

Where would you go if you've issues with the government? Your local petrol station?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You make you stand at relevant buildings to the people you have issue with. Police stations, government buildings.

Of course. But if that doesn't work then people take matters further. Just look at our own history. 1916 and the war of independence are the kind of thing that happen when the people are ignored and not represented. And the troubles came from a civil rights movement because the people were being treated unfairly and not listened to when they complained.

It's easy to say they should lodge their complaints through the proper complaints procedure - of course they should. But in reality a consequence of not having a reasonable and peaceful complaint address, is that people stop asking nicely and become more and more forceful.

People burning their own city is a sign of people in huge distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump is quiet on the matter.

But he is the guy who told the police '' don't be so nice, I hate that. When you cuff em and when your putting them in the car, DON'T put your hand on their head when putting them in the car, no need to protect their head''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where would you go if you've issues with the government? Your local petrol station?

Most likely on to Facebook

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I saw an interview with a former police officer saying that he knows George Floyd is going to get justice. He says that the knee/neck move is not legal and that it goes against training. He explained that the kneecap goes on the upper shoulder/back and they are trained to balance on the balls and toes of their feet to enable them to feel movement. When the threat is eliminated (handcuffed) then they let up. He watched the video of the arrest and said there was no resisting, that the technique was wrong and went against their training.

Of course. But if that doesn't work then people take matters further. Just look at our own history. 1916 and the war of independence are the kind of thing that happen when the people are ignored and not represented. And the troubles came from a civil rights movement because the people were being treated unfairly and not listened to when they complained.

It's easy to say they should lodge their complaints through the proper complaints procedure - of course they should. But in reality a consequence of not having a reasonable and peaceful complaint address, is that people stop asking nicely and become more and more forceful.

People burning their own city is a sign of people in huge distress.

They're already wrecking the place. Now, if you're in the mindset of wrecking the place, why direct that at private business's? Realistically, what's that going to achieve beyond people taking the opinion that a load of people just decided to go out and smash up target.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sniper69

America was literally built by rioting, looting and anti-policing riffraffs. Ever heard of the boston tea party?

The same people were afraid that one day america will be full of tyrants. The image of a police officer kneeling on your neck until you die - George Washington would declare another civil war were he alive

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Police are clutching at straws, trying to come up with some ****etasticularistic reason not to charge him with murder. Needs arresting asap.

They're already wrecking the place. Now, if you're in the mindset of wrecking the place, why direct that at private business's? Realistically, what's that going to achieve beyond people taking the opinion that a load of people just decided to go out and smash up target.

What happens when you shut down an entire tax federal tax base? Did you even think about your question?

Now theyre funneling manpower and money into a region that should be stable income. This is why this hurts the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"Open up the possibility of mitigating circumstances"

This isn't one of those 30sec 1/2minute videos..

This is a 10 minute long torture clip.. George Floyd died at around 5 minutes in the video.. or shortly before the POS pulled his mace/pepper spray out when the folks on the footpath knew George was dead.

Mitigate, there isn't any!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's a sign of people in distress. I wouldn't try to excuse their actions or downplay the harm. People in distress don't always act rationally. This incident came just after the killing of another black guy in a pretty blatant example of the problem. The distress is justified and the harm caused by protesters is a consequence of the distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    Run by the same kind of people who were upset about kneeling at an NFL game. Not all of them, of course. But it does the job protestors want and that is to express their physical manifestation of outrage to the police and to the nation.

It’s about issues bigger than “who will invest in our business park.” It’s about “our officers are killing us in custody.” Like Covid and the economy this is about much bigger issues than profits.

Did I mention profits?

Destroying businesses that serve your own community (both as a providers of services and employment to local people) as a means of protest is counter productive. Why is that? Well driving business out of your community makes the community a worse place to live, makes the lives of those living there worse.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

It's a sign of people in distress. I wouldn't try to excuse their actions or downplay the harm. People in distress don't always act rationally. This incident came just after the killing of another black guy in a pretty blatant example of the problem. The distress is justified and the harm caused by protesters is a consequence of the distress.

No. An uprising is a massive drain on the government, and when it snowballs will inevitably lead to legislative change. Thats why this works.

Attacking tax bases is the oldest american protest

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement