Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Where are you getting thousands of premises? Some here seem to have absolutely no concept of the scale of looting/rioting and protests. They seem to think the former is a huge number and the latter are tiny.

Stolen property items are gone, they can't be sold now. Remaking them doesn't stimulate the economy when so many are imported. Yes builders get money for fixing the windows etc but that is offset by the store being closed and staff not paid during rebuild and extended curfews.

You clearly have no concept...they have been looting all over the USA ... I’ve just included a link below to give you an idea of what was looted in New York

https://nypost.com/2020/06/03/what-the-streets-of-manhattan-look-like-after-days-of-riots/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

In many cases, yes there is a shoot to kill policy.

Breona Taylor - shot in bed by cops that entered the wrong house and felt threatened by an unarmed woman in her pajamas and put 8 bullets in her. Those cops still walk the streets.

Philando Castile - shot several times when stopped while driving with his girlfriend and 4 year old daughter for following instructions and reaching for his license. That cop is still walking the streets.

Tamir Rice - 12 year old shot twice 2 seconds after the cop arrived for the crime of playing with a toy gun in a park. That cop is still walking the streets.

The list goes on and on. You should really do some research before posting rambling nonsense.

Tucker Carlson breaks down Washington Post's comprehensive list of all fatal police shootings. Facts matter.

Last year the post logged a total of 1,004 killings (USA population 360million)
    In the 802 shootings in which the race of the officer and suspect was noted;
    • 371 killed were white
    • 236 killed were black
    • Vast majority were not unarmed
    • African american suspects more likely to be armed
    • Only 10 cases where unarmed african americans were fatally shot by the police last year according to the WaPo
    • 9 men- 1 woman
    • In 5 deaths an officer was attacked before the shooting
    • 4 deaths without a standoff or armed suspect - 3 of those officers were charged.
    • 1 unarmed blackman shot last year without a standoff or armed, or didn't attack the officer first, and officer didn't get charged.

Starts at 8mins 55seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Eh? What does a link to an online shop prove?

As quoted in the link I provided;

A stores spokesman? Jesas that’s exact ... well I’m glad you cleared that up ... all the vids and pics of totally cleared shops clearly don’t prove as much ....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,753 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    Tucker Carlson breaks down Washington Post's comprehensive list of all fatal police shootings. Facts matter.

• 371 killed were white
    • 236 killed were black
    • Only 10 cases where unarmed african americans were fatally shot by the police last year according to the WaPo
    • 9 men- 1 woman
    • 4 deaths without a standoff or armed suspect - 3 of those officers were charged.
    • 1 unarmed blackman shot last year without a standoff or armed, or didn't attack the officer first, and officer didn't get charged.

This doesn't mean bias in policing isn't a systemic problem.

It DOES mean that police brutality is most certainly a systemic problem.

You can look up how many officers were charged - and how many were convicted. It's a very low percentage.

Did you watch any of the video I posted?

Overheal wrote: »

When everyone is against police brutality I don't see the need of the race angle. That's the part I'm protesting. It doens't seem to make any sense.

The race angle is only making things worse, it's not helping anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

This doesn't mean bias in policing isn't a systemic problem.

It DOES mean that police brutality is most certainly a systemic problem.

You can look up how many officers were charged - and how many were convicted. It's a very low percentage.

Did you watch any of the video I posted?

I hadnt noticed were you posting videos and pictures ?
    you need to post more maybe, just in case and pictures lots of them and tweets also , lots of them too
    one can never have too many , it shows how outraged you are.

When everyone is against police brutality I don't see the need of the race angle. That's the part I'm protesting. It doens't seem to make any sense.

The race angle is only making things worse, it's not helping anybody.

The race angle is unmistakable, though. We see examples all the time.
    you need to post more maybe, just in case and pictures lots of them and tweets also , lots of them too

You know damn sure I will, especially when there are so many clowns and instigators online pretending like the police are innocent victims here, or that bits of broken glass or sporadic acts of riot render null and void an entire movement of millions of Americans on the street and many tens of millions of Americans generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

LillySV wrote: »
    A stores spokesman? Jesas that’s exact ... well I’m glad you cleared that up ... all the vids and pics of totally cleared shops clearly don’t prove as much ....

You don't believe the store spokesperson would be honest if watches were robbed?

You don't believe the store spokesperson would be honest if watches were robbed?

No of course not they are 'scared for their life' that the blacks might target them for reporting the theft

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

• 371 killed were white
    • 236 killed were black
    • 9 men- 1 woman

I think cops that do unjustified killing should face the full letter of the law, but do BLM and all the other protesters think that if the dozen or so murders committed by police each year stops , are young black men gonna suddenly stop dying over there . Here's a very good article I would recommend ye read

https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2019/12/22/the-need-to-discuss-black-on-black-crime/

He points out that homicide-victimization rates for black men were 3.9 times the national average and that 52 percent of all known homicide victims were black (2017 data). He might have added that the perpetrators of these crimes were overwhelmingly African Americans. In 2018, where the homicide victim was black, the suspected killer also was 88 percent of the time. And this is not an exceptional situation. From 1976 to 2005, 94 percent of black victims were killed by other African Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

RIGOLO wrote: »
    one can never have too many , it shows how outraged you are.

Jesus, the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Are you seriously suggesting that this would put an end to the protests? Is this twitter page somehow a leader of the movement we see playing out before our eyes?

It has 1thousand likes. It seems more like a small cultish group then a representation of what's actually happenning.

To be honest I'd be on board with most of those things, and wish the people would put their demands down.

I'll hark back to a story I told a few days ago while watching a live stream outside the whitehouse on reuters.
    One black guy was feverishly moving about, full of energy shouting as loud as he could "What's the point in protest if we don't change the constitution". He was vehemently screaming this at the top of his lungs, but nobody was paying attention.

It says it all that there where hundreds of thousands of people protesting over the last few days and you have now repeatedly told a story about a single guy shouting that you admit no one was paying attention to.

You've been told that the protests aren't run by an individual, group, or one part of the US. There are proposals for federal policies and local policies, what impacts people in NYC wouldn't work for West Virginia.

If you don't want to be willfully ignorant google them rather than putting your fingers in your ears shouting that no one can tell me.

Seeing as you're struggling hard with many demands, you better brace yourself for how many different people they have to reach with those demands - town, city, state, federal (executive & legislative).

Re: Ahmaud Arbery, BTW since the other thread imploded - yes it looks like they will be 100% reviewing this as a hate crime. Testimony and call and social media logs obtained show repeated reference to Ahmaud as a "F***ing N****r"

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/man-who-shot-and-killed-ahmaud-arbery-allegedly-called-him-a-fing-nr/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I take it you include the Democrat party in that, tehm being the party of the Confederate states.
    Now thats a truth bomb.
    Reducing them to dust would go along way to improving the lives of African- American communities.

I think the democratic party are largely dog****, but are you familiar with the southern strategy and the parties switching platforms aye?

LillySV wrote: »
    You clearly have no concept...they have been looting all over the USA ... I’ve just included a link below to give you an idea of what was looted in New York

https://nypost.com/2020/06/03/what-the-streets-of-manhattan-look-like-after-days-of-riots/

I am very aware, I live there.

That link doesn't show 'thousands' of stores.

Again, where is the evidence for that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,593 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Re: Ahmaud Arbery, BTW since the other thread imploded - yes it looks like they will be 100% reviewing this as a hate crime. Testimony and call and social media logs obtained show repeated reference to Ahmaud as a "F***ing N****r"

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/man-who-shot-and-killed-ahmaud-arbery-allegedly-called-him-a-fing-nr/

So you arent allowed become Batman and go hunting black men for sport.

This is another disgrace. Those damn liberals. Its like they think murder is bad?

pjohnson wrote: »
    So you arent allowed become Batman and go hunting black men for sport.

This is another disgrace. Those damn liberals. Its like they think murder is bad?

But you know Obama was president and blacks commit most of the crimes Police bother to chase up, therefore we live in a post race society and Ahmaud wasn't discriminated against no sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• 371 killed were white
    • 236 killed were black
    • 9 men- 1 woman

'Facts' is a strong term for an analysis that excludes around 20% of the data points.

Given your love for 'facts', I presume you accept the multiple assessments that showed that minorities were targeted by police (including your own research)?

In general everything points to there being a policing problem?

If you believe what you're posting then you should join the protests.

• Advertisement

'Facts' is a strong term for an analysis that excludes around 20% of the data points.

Given your love for 'facts', I presume you accept the multiple assessments that showed that minorities were targeted by police (including your own research)?

In general everything points to there being a policing problem?

If you believe what you're posting then you should join the protests.

I think there is a massive disparity to what's happening in the protests and what you think is happening in the protest. They are shouting "Defund the police" they want to eradicate the police.

If it were about police accountability for everybody I'd be on board as evidenced at the beginning of this thread when you weren't around.

That you guys keep bait and switching between police accountability and 'black people being hunted' is quite ridiculous.

Civil war 2.0 incoming.

Some people will end up taking direction from that and try to attack protesters and like the machete guy, wannabe hawkeye, and the trucker will end up either in hospital or having to be saved by the police.

Trump will be happy hiding from peaceful protesters behind his new fences and thousands of federal forces

I think there is a massive disparity to what's happening in the protests and what you think is happening in the protest. They are shouting "Defund the police" they want to eradicate the police.

And what do you think is happening in these protests? What percentage of people are instigating violence?

And what do you think is happening in these protests? What percentage of people are instigating violence?

Focus Overheal, I'm not going one of these rabbit holes with you again.
    The topic at hand is what these protestors want, what would appease them. What would make them return to their homes happy?

If it were about police accountability for everybody I'd be on board as evidenced at the beginning of this thread when you weren't around.

That you guys keep bait and switching between police accountability and 'black people being hunted' is quite ridiculous.

What bait and switch? You're jumping around any time someone answers a question.

You asked for some of the demands and I provided them.

You posted about death numbers by race and I responded.

I don't think some level of defunding of police is a bad thing. Their budgets are absolutely enormous and allow them to unnecessarily militarize themselves, like we're seeing every day. The money should be spent elsewhere:

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1267141940547469312?s=20

The topic at hand is what these protestors want, what would appease them. What would make them return to their homes happy?

We went over that, and you went looking for more rabbit holes:
    Are BLM promoting this as their demands somewhere?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The police seem to have totally lost the plot when dealing with the public in America. What are the rules around what they can do to the public? Are a lot of them going to be fired for going around smacking people?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Many just want hostility and aggro..

They are behaving like anarchists...

And many wouldn’t think twice at killing any cop they could get their hands on..

There is a whole element in society that are simply anti establishment, anti rules, anti law and order. They believe that people should be able to do as they please, come and go as they please, and not be answerable or accountable to anyone.

All down to selfishness.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    The police seem to have totally lost the plot when dealing with the public in America. What are the rules around what they can do to the public? Are a lot of them going to be fired for going around smacking people?

The most egregious cases, hopefully. Most of these no. You even see police chiefs engaging in this behavior on the ground. The justice system is stacked in their favor, they work with the people who would prosecute them on a regular basis, and they in turn have to work with the police. There aren't enough independent bodies for this.

• Advertisement

I don't think some level of defunding of police is a bad thing. Their budgets are absolutely enormous and allow them to unnecessarily militarize themselves, like we're seeing every day. The money should be spent elsewhere:

https://twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1267141940547469312?s=20

But defunding the police will surely lead to more deaths and gangs and violence, particularly among the black communities, and then this will be recorded as examples of racism. Do you not see the conundrum?

More broadly speaking there are no common goals. There seem to be protesting groups each with their own goals, and the media and activists like Antifa also spinning their goals. I would suggest there is no common direction for this movement at the moment.

I would love if the direction they took was more police accountability; list their demands and then get what they want. That is what I want.

I fear there are no concessions that would appease these protestors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement