Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I wasn't around in the 60s, but this is surely as big social unrest since the Vietnam war protests / civil rights movement is it not?

The US needs to change course sharply. Most importantly, they need that spoofmaster out of the White House. He's proven himself to be the worst US President bar none. And I was one that while not liking the man, was willing to let him have his go at the Oval Office as he was elected fair and square. He's an utter failure and America deserves better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Rjd2 wrote: »
    14 million views in 2 hours, I think its safe to say this story is already massive.

Only if he dies though, there's so much going on atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Don't know about the other 3 officers, but Chauvin will definitely do time, a lot, and rightfully so.

Is there not a risk that the prosecution have set the bar too high and he will get off?

I saw the interview with the prosecuting attourney, he seemed very fazed, he said it was going to be a 'tough job' and there was only ever 1 officer prosecuted for that in their state.

2u2me wrote: »
    Is there not a risk that the prosecution have set the bar too high and he will get off?

I saw the interview with the prosecuting attourney, he seemed very fazed, he said it was going to be a 'tough job' and there was only ever 1 officer prosecuted for that in their state.

Won't happen. Put it this way, if he gets off there will be world war 3. Which i'm sure they will want to avoid, after seeing what's going on atm.

Overheal wrote: »
    "I hope to continue to build on the progress we have achieved as we work together to address racial injustice and inequity in the City of Buffalo. My thoughts are with the victim tonight.”

Why on earth would he possibly mention racial injustice in relation to this story? Mind-boggling. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,757 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is that you agreeing with Tucker Carlson? I'm screenshotting that! :pac:

I think he has a genuine point about this being more of a class war then a race war, the corporations and media are spinning this.

He does but thats also those corporations rights, as SCOTUS and the right wing defended vociferously in Burwell v Hobby Lobby, not to mention Citizens United v FEC, and countless other partisan skirmishes, also being quite proud of Right to Work laws that let employers fire you on the spot for practically anything protected categories (https://www.eeoc.gov/discrimination-type).

It's really not that much different from businesses taking sides at Christmas time about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays. The War on Christmas is something Fox News takes very srsly.

The War on Christmas is something Fox News takes very srsly.

Jon Stewart used to mock them feverishly for that. Hilarious stuff.

(Sorry for bad quality long time ago!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvXQ1XqwVY

Watched him often from 2007 onward. He did some great activism of his own as a matter of fact. I wondered if he would say anything about these protests but so far he's been off the radar. Police brutality was never his stick though, and he has a deep respect for and from 9/11 first responders. At the same time this seams like exactly the type of movement he'd be about, peacefully speaking. He must be awfully conflicted atm.

Watched him often from 2007 onward. He did some great activism of his own as a matter of fact. I wondered if he would say anything about these protests but so far he's been off the radar. Police brutality was never his stick though, and he has a deep respect for and from 9/11 first responders. At the same time this seams like exactly the type of movement he'd be about, peacefully speaking. He must be awfully conflicted atm.

There was a time I would call that guy my hero. I loved him.

I think he hates what he has spawned. They became the very thing they set out to mock.
    Take a look at this video. Stewart was mocking Trump long before anyone knew about him.

• Advertisement

There was a time I would call that guy my hero. I loved him.

I think he hates what he has spawned. They became the very thing they set out to mock.
    Take a look at this video. Stewart was mocking Trump long before anyone knew about him.

That is a good video. The only one I watch consistently of all of his proteges now is John Oliver. Colbert breaking character to host late night was very jarring and he did it at a sorta bad time, where he defined his show by and because of his utter revulsion for Trump. John Oliver is fantastic because while he's not afraid to show bias or even be politically activist it is almost always in pursuit of issues that have been unresolved by multiple administrations or parties for long periods of time, or things no one really thought about. He's an expose' presenter, something most Americans don't watch anymore whereas in the 90s, 60 Minutes was essential television for most people. Also, he happens to be funny and I think Americans enjoy his outside perspective and the way he tells it. Most importantly, Last Week Tonight brings the receipts for everything it talks about. Trevor Noah has the same advantage of being funny and having fresh perspectives but the Daily Show is Jon's baby and his is only a facsimile of it, most of the time Trevor just wants to land the soundbyte, the clever tweet/meme for you to post and retweet to your friends and online adversaries. Oliver, meanwhile, says **** all that, let me do the trolling, and delivers a broadway musical through a salmon cannon telling Bob Murray to eat sh!t.

Do you see this bull**** deflective statement from Buffalo PD?

It's horrible, it's not right. This happens time and time again in dangerous situations, this is why people are advised not to go into them.

I'm not excusing the officer, but merely pointing out he is human. He could be on edge, hasn't slept, could have lost a car, a house, a relative during this.

He may just be fired up, an authoritarian type, he seemed pretty small guy, you know the type big on attitude.

Also there are many cops in the force that should not be cops. Perhaps if they were better funded they would attract better recruits.

But for the Mayor to come out and condemn the police after Trump has given free reign to dominate would be a stupid thing. He may have a police strike on his hands.

The cop should not have pushed the protestor.
    Also Trump shouldn't have used such violent rhetoric.
    Also that man should not have been there.
    Also the media and activists shoulddn't be using violent rhetoric.
    Also the protestors shouldn't turn violent and start looting.

It's a combination of so many things right now. It's not normal times. I think it may be close to civil war.

Speaking of who shouldn't be there: United States Special Forces, in front of the WH (Kyle Rempfer/Army Times photo):

special-forces2-white-house-ho-mo-20200604_hpEmbed_7x6_992.jpg

A growing number of retired Generals, Colonels and other officers are speaking out against this.

"I'm kind of horrified by seeing the junta-looking Guard guys around D.C. I hate the optics of it," retired Army Special Forces Col. Robert Wilson told ABC News Thursday.

Another retired Green Beret, Lt. Col. James Gavrilis, said the selection of troops from a commando unit was not well thought out, but was skeptical it was anything nefarious concocted by the Trump administration.

"I'd be last person to say Special Forces guys should be out there. But those guys on the line aren't trying to instigate the protesters," Gavrilis told ABC News. "Why put SF guys on the line around the White House? Well, they're a little older and more seasoned guys, who are actually going to deescalate situations."

If they're only carrying batons I don't know why they need clips for assault rifles strapped to themselves.

I think it makes Trump look cowardly that he feels the need to deploy so much force. It's like he really fears this is it and he's going to get Ghadaffi'd if he doesn't bark back. Like a scared yet fascist obese chihuahua.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

The cop should not have pushed the protestor.
    Also Trump shouldn't have used such violent rhetoric.
    Also that man should not have been there.
    Also the media and activists shoulddn't be using violent rhetoric.
    Also the protestors shouldn't turn violent and start looting.
    Fine I guess. But not all of the above are equal and should not be portrayed as such. Lot's on twitter trying to excuse it by blaming the man for being there as if that in anyway excuses it.

Fine I guess. But not all of the above are equal and should not be portrayed as such. Lot's on twitter trying to excuse it by blaming the man for being there as if that in anyway excuses it.

That's the only bit I disagreed with tbh. He had every reason to be there, it's a free country. It's the best most freest country in the world to hear the Hannity's of the world tell it. So of course a retired 75-year old male citizen who paid their taxes and did whatever all hell else for society should have the leeway to be on the sidewalk when it isn't even dark out, protest or not.

Another lesser known Jon Stewart protege

https://twitter.com/hbo/status/1268305466821615616?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Speaking of who shouldn't be there: United States Special Forces, in front of the WH (Kyle Rempfer/Army Times photo):

special-forces2-white-house-ho-mo-20200604_hpEmbed_7x6_992.jpg

A growing number of retired Generals, Colonels and other officers are speaking out against this.

"I'm kind of horrified by seeing the junta-looking Guard guys around D.C. I hate the optics of it," retired Army Special Forces Col. Robert Wilson told ABC News Thursday.

Another retired Green Beret, Lt. Col. James Gavrilis, said the selection of troops from a commando unit was not well thought out, but was skeptical it was anything nefarious concocted by the Trump administration.

"I'd be last person to say Special Forces guys should be out there. But those guys on the line aren't trying to instigate the protesters," Gavrilis told ABC News. "Why put SF guys on the line around the White House? Well, they're a little older and more seasoned guys, who are actually going to deescalate situations."

If they're only carrying batons I don't know why they need clips for assault rifles strapped to themselves.

I think it makes Trump look cowardly that he feels the need to deploy so much force. It's like he really fears this is it and he's going to get Ghadaffi'd if he doesn't bark back. Like a scared yet fascist obese chihuahua.
    Trump is a bigot. Bigotry is fear. "Homophobia", "xenophobia" etc.

Trumps campaign released a video falsely claiming landscaping barriers were actually piles of bricks organized by Antifa.

https://gizmodo.com/white-house-propaganda-video-falsely-claims-domestic-te-1843894044

Edit actually it was posted by the White House media account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

For all the apologists for police actions suggesting that they are only responding when their lives are at risk.

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1268716877355810818

This is America right now and the President has advocated for this. Think about that.
    I'd like to think that this means that we can now use violence in self-defence against people ignoring social distancing. However I know if I did I would get in trouble. Very unfair.

Someone mentioned John Boyega earlier who caused a little controversy today; Lucasfilm is standing firmly behind their guy

https://io9.gizmodo.com/lucasfilm-expresses-solidarity-with-john-boyega-in-wake-1843905053

[url]

EDIT: 2 guardsmen reported struck by lightning in Washington DC. Zeus is tired of Donald’s ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Another angle showing the elderly man being pushed by that asshole.

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1268768880580845568

Hope he's going be okay but either way, I hope it's the last time that cop wears the uniform again.

Another angle showing the elderly man being pushed by that asshole.

https://twitter.com/CalebJHull/status/1268768880580845568

Hope he's going be okay but either way, I hope it's the last time that cop wears the uniform again.

The cops in New York are on edge to be fair. Weren't a few of them assaulted, stabbed yesterday ? Tensions are high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

According to Sky News, the two officers, Kueng and Lane, who were first to arrive to the George Floyd scene, were only three and four days on the force, respectively.

Is this normal? Lane is the one who pulled his gun initially when Floyd was still in the car.

I would have thought that both of these would be accompanied by more experienced officers.

SnowyMay wrote: »
    According to Sky News, the two officers, Kueng and Lane, who were first to arrive to the George Floyd scene, were only three and four days on the force, respectively.

Is this normal? Lane is the one who pulled his gun initially when Floyd was still in the car.

I would have thought that both of these would be accompanied by more experienced officers.

Fresh out of the academy someone has to tell you not to shove a lanky 75-year old man? People will rightly demand a rectal examination of their training standards.

WaPo analysis shows police are 'consistently' whiter than the major cities they serve: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/04/urban-areas-police-are-consistently-much-whiter-than-people-they-serve/?arc404=true

FiveThirtyEight polling analysis shows the same overall. In addition, they find that police tend to like Trump and do not think they treat black people unfairly or see evidence of it. Lots of this data is years old though and predates BLM altogether in some cases so new polling may show radical change

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/?cid=social_twitter_abcn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Fresh out of the academy someone has to tell you not to shove a lanky 75-year old man? People will rightly demand a rectal examination of their training standards.

Fresh out of kindergarden, nobody should have to tell you not to shove anybody, let alone a lanky 75 year old man! That video was a horrible watch.

But, the two people I referenced were officers involved in the initial Floyd incident.

The cops taking a knee thing is so cringeworthy.

None of the protesters will thank them for that. Instead it will start to become expected for cops to kneel before BLM protesters.

Then any cop who does not kneel will be deemed the racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The cops taking a knee thing is so cringeworthy.

None of the protesters will thank them for that. Instead it will start to become expected for cops to kneel before BLM protesters.

Then any cop who does not kneel will be deemed the racists.
    Two thoughts:

First, if the police taking a knee in acknowledgement of the protestors' legitimate grievance is effective in reducing the likelihood of the protest turning violent or disorderly (and it does seem that this is the case) then it is an absolute no-brainer that the police should do this. Keeping the peace is their first and paramount goal. If this is a nonviolent action on the part of the police that in turn reduces recourse to violence by others, what's not to like?

Secondly, taking a knee is already established as a peaceful form of protest against brutality/racism in policing. Those who condemn the present protests because they can turn violent or disorderly should not also advocate against nonviolent gestures, unless their position is (a) that brutality and racism should not be protested against at all or (b) that the police should never acknowledge that protests against them may be legitimate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

WaPo analysis shows police are 'consistently' whiter than the major cities they serve: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/04/urban-areas-police-are-consistently-much-whiter-than-people-they-serve/?arc404=true

FiveThirtyEight polling analysis shows the same overall. In addition, they find that police tend to like Trump and do not think they treat black people unfairly or see evidence of it. Lots of this data is years old though and predates BLM altogether in some cases so new polling may show radical change

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-police-see-issues-of-race-and-policing/?cid=social_twitter_abcn
    What is the relevance of that statistic?

What is the proportion of applications for police jobs for example?

The article says the police do not think they treat black people unfairly - but maybe they don't?

It also assumes an inherent issue with white police officers policing black people - but that's to judge the ability of police by their skin colour. And that's, well, racist of you.

You quoted a stat a while back that 75% of black people stopped by the police were released - I asked you for the stat for others and you never replied.

The problem is these stand-alone figures mean nothing. They're an abuse of statistics. And to keep bringing race into things just perpetuates the truism that this is all about race, and stymies any discussion about police brutality or societal issues. It leads to this situation where they can barely be discussed or you're called a racist.

Posts like this doesn't help address matters in the slightest tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Soo... the right wing nut jobs with rifles pulled off a peaceful protest and these SJW and leftist just go bat sh*t crazy and start burning everything down.

Old man decides to challenge the police, "I have the moral high ground I am allowed to do anything"!

Police, "here let me help you understand where you're wrong".

Old man, "Ouch, my moral high grounds, they do nothing!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement