Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

cdeb wrote: »
    What is the relevance of that statistic?

What is the proportion of applications for police jobs for example?

The article says the police do not think they treat black people unfairly - but maybe they don't?

It also assumes an inherent issue with white police officers policing black people - but that's to judge the ability of police by their skin colour. And that's, well, racist of you.

You quoted a stat a while back that 75% of black people stopped by the police were released - I asked you for the stat for others and you never replied.

The problem is these stand-alone figures mean nothing. They're an abuse of statistics. And to keep bringing race into things just perpetuates the truism that this is all about race, and stymies any discussion about police brutality or societal issues. It leads to this situation where they can barely be discussed or you're called a racist.

Posts like this doesn't help address matters in the slightest tbh.

He/She doesn't care about addressing any issues (nor do a lot of people commenting), rabble rousing is so much easier to do rather than address and serious issues with american society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Soo... the right wing nut jobs with rifles pulled off a peaceful protest and these SJW and leftist just go bat sh*t crazy and start burning everything down.

Old man decides to challenge the police, "I have the moral high ground I am allowed to do anything"!

Police, "here let me help you understand where you're wrong".

Old man, "Ouch, my moral high grounds, they do nothing!"
    Was the old man not trying to return a police helmet? How do you know what conversation took place?

Would the right wing nut jobs have been so peaceful if they'd been teargassed? The violence level of a protest often has a lot to do with the initial police reaction to it. Hong Kong another good example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seems pretty simple to me, if you are ordered to move then do so, if you are ordered to put your hands behind your back do so.....

This goes whether you believe you are right or wrong and fight it after.

See so many that escalated things way out of proportion and then bad things end up happening.

I feel terribly bad for all that's gone wrong and people of all colours that have been murdered as they had a right to live peacefully.

Obviously there are occasions where the police have no choice and have to shoot to save themselves.

I honestly see this protesting as out of control and those that think it's no issues going out looting, burning buildings, destroying streets, vehicles and anything they can do to destroy their communities.

Very sad innocent people have been attacked and killed by this bogus movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Overheal wrote: »
    POC more broadly refers to all non-whites

Basically everyone except whites, that's not a charged or divisive term at all. And it really seems to be the acronym de jour online. I'm yet to hear it said in real life, mind you.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Basically everyone except whites, that's not a charged or divisive term at all. And it really seems to be the acronym de jour online. I'm yet to hear it said in real life, mind you.

Coming to a town or city near you soon.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It is certain that the policeman killed Floyd. It's not certain that he was racist.

But that's not even that relevant. He's just one person. It seems pretty clear that he thought he could kneel on his neck without consequences. I can't see him feeling safe to do that to a white person. That points to institutional systemic racism. And that is a big deal.

I guess people will point to the old guy being pushed and stuff like that. That was unnecessary but doesn't remotely compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Coming to a town or city near you soon.....

And I'll be like

giphy.gif

(Ironically brought to you by The Rock in his Nation of Domination days, a (storyline) black militant group)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Soo... the right wing nut jobs with rifles pulled off a peaceful protest and these SJW and leftist just go bat sh*t crazy and start burning everything down.

Old man decides to challenge the police, "I have the moral high ground I am allowed to do anything"!

So would you be defending the B-Specials and RUC at the outbreak of the troubles? This is the kind of **** they were getting up to then.

The police in America have absolutely lost control and in trying to enforce control they lose even more. There are cameras everywhere, there are hundreds of videos of police brutality, property damage and things that would be considered war crimes.

But it doesn't matter. It's all a sport to someone like you. Owning the libs, your side scored a goal. Yaaaaaay. You don't actually give a **** about how this is affecting people's lives because you're sitting on your hole in the comfort of your home reinforcing your out of reality ideas about what is right and wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It is certain that the policeman killed Floyd. It's not certain that he was racist.

But that's not even that relevant. He's just one person. It seems pretty clear that he thought he could kneel on his neck without consequences. I can't see him feeling safe to do that to a white person. That points to institutional systemic racism. And that is a big deal.

I guess people will point to the old guy being pushed and stuff like that. That was unnecessary but doesn't remotely compare.
    No, people will point to Tony Timpa, a white man who was killed in the exact same way by police officers in 2016. No criminal charges were brought, and the county offices fought tooth and nail to avoid having the incriminating video footage released, where the officers mocked Timpa in the exact same way they mocked Floyd.

That to me discredits your point about systemic racism. And that is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Is this your summary of this one?
    https://twitter.com/PhillyD/status/1268727223923535872

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

The cops in New York are on edge to be fair. Weren't a few of them assaulted, stabbed yesterday ? Tensions are high

https://nypost.com/2020/06/04/nypd-cops-shot-in-confrontation-with-suspect-in-brooklyn/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

There was no comparison between the way the "right wing nut jobs" were treated and the way these protestors were treated. The first group were allowed to storm state buildings and government work was cancelled for safety concerns. Not a rubber bullet, baton charge or cs gas in sight.

Those people with guns were simply allowed to do what they wanted.
    Maybe that's the difference they carried guns...

"Might is not right", that's a slogan from the north...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,416 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Has there been any information-footage on how George went from being upright near his car to then being brought to the ground for restraining?

Nothing is certain....both sides will argue this, and you will have conflicting medical opinions and reports on what caused George's death

I can't know for certain, but from my viewing of the video footage, the color of skin here did not seem to be a major factor for why Chauvin did what he did...

Chauvin was defying the crowd here. They were challenging him, and he did not like it one bit....it made him even more aggressive and resolute in his actions against George...

Chauvin likely does this to any color....circumstances played a part here....

That is why it disgusts me to see such wanton destruction and violence on the streets, all being peddled and encouraged and condoned under the guise of racism protesting.....

The whole world is peddling it and promoting it.....Leo, Obama, and others.....

Instead of calling for a complete cessation to protesting to preserve society and quell the madness, they are pretending to make this about peaceful protesting.....there is nothing peaceful going on in the States now...

walshb wrote: »
    Has there been any information-footage on how George went from being upright near his car to then being brought to the ground for restraining?

Well it's the police car. Chauvin pulls him out of the police car onto the road. But we cannot see why, this video has multiple video sources and explains the scene quite well IMO

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007159353/george-floyd-arrest-death-video.html

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Well it's the police car. Chauvin pulls him out of the police car onto the road. But we cannot see why, this video has multiple video sources and explains the scene quite well IMO

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007159353/george-floyd-arrest-death-video.html

Thanks.

This is the most factual and in-depth footage I have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

for those interested somebody has put together a speadsheet of (at the current count) 301 instances of police brutality against protestors. If police are happy to do stuff like when they know cameras are rolling then what are they capable of when they are not.

https://tinyurl.com/GFProtestPoliceBrutality

Thanks.

This is the most factual and in-depth footage I have seen

Yeah I like how it explained the location of everything. I need things "drawn" out for me for it to go in :)

A fake 20 dollar bill..... :(

If police are happy to do stuff like when they know cameras are rolling then what are they capable of when they are not.

Well to be fair we've watched them kill people while the cameras are rolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

What I don't understand is that cop barely pushed the old man and he went down like a ton of bricks. The cop clearly did not intend to injure him at all. It seems like a terrible accident to me.

There was the Truck on the highway video where again people were screaming blue murder at the drivers attempt to commit mass murder but the video shows him clearly stopping to avoid running someone over.

There is the video of the woman screaming 'I have a baby' while being arrested and thousands of comments disgusted at how traumatised that child will be growing up. I watched the video once and could see she was holding a pair of shoes and a bag not a child.

Then there is the video of innocent people being shot at outside their own home but the video pans around and there are about 4 of them dressed as antifa wannabes.

What am I missing? I feel like I'm going crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Rioters mad that they can't loot armed business owners: https://www.invidio.us/watch?v=f5BeQ1w4bfA

for those interested somebody has put together a speadsheet of (at the current count) 301 instances of police brutality against protestors. If police are happy to do stuff like when they know cameras are rolling then what are they capable of when they are not.

https://tinyurl.com/GFProtestPoliceBrutality
    It's interesting how much more powerful a list that is for not trying to categorise things by white/black. It puts the focus firmly on the real problem - what the police are doing.

Nothing is certain....both sides will argue this, and you will have conflicting medical opinions and reports on what caused George's death

I can't know for certain, but from my viewing of the video footage, the color of skin here did not seem to be a major factor for why Chauvin did what he did...

Chauvin was defying the crowd here. They were challenging him, and he did not like it one bit....it made him even more aggressive and resolute in his actions against George...

Chauvin likely does this to any color....circumstances played a part here....

That is why it disgusts me to see such wanton destruction and violence on the streets, all being peddled and encouraged and condoned under the guise of racism protesting.....

The whole world is peddling it and promoting it.....Leo, Obama, and others.....

Instead of calling for a complete cessation to protesting to preserve society and quell the madness, they are pretending to make this about peaceful protesting.....there is nothing peaceful going on in the States now...

Unless the police man was shouting "die n**ger" there is no way to know if an individual incident was race related.

This is not about Floyd in isolation. This is about the hundreds of unjustified police deaths in America over the years. The black population are bearing the brunt of it.

I hate to see violence but if it the result of this unrest is the American police finally implement reforms then that will save lives in the long run. (I'm not optimistic)

If the current system is allowed to continue then there will be more Floyds. More unnecessary deaths.
    That is surely worse than some burnt buildings.

Police have a lot to answer for the way they behave.

The contrast with the armed anti lock down protests is stark.

Well to be fair we've watched them kill people while the cameras are rolling?

we have watched them kill some people. how many others have they killed that we dont know about?

darced wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that cop barely pushed the old man and he went down like a ton of bricks. The cop clearly did not intend to injure him at all. It seems like a terrible accident to me.

Knocking people over is just incredibly dangerous as they can hit their head. As was the case here. Really poor police work.

And am I right that the guy who pushed him looks at the blood coming from the man and just goes to walk away?

darced wrote: »

There was the Truck on the highway video where again people were screaming blue murder at the drivers attempt to commit mass murder but the video shows him clearly stopping to avoid running someone over.

There is the video of the woman screaming 'I have a baby' while being arrested and thousands of comments disgusted at how traumatised that child will be growing up. I watched the video once and could see she was holding a pair of shoes and a bag not a child.

Then there is the video of innocent people being shot at outside their own home but the video pans around and there are about 4 of them dressed as antifa wannabes.

What am I missing? I feel like I'm going crazy.

the guy is 75. he was pushed backwards. 75 year olds are not always completely steady on their feet. the cop should not have pushed him. the cop is responsible for what happened after he pushed hm.

joe40 wrote: »

The contrast with the armed anti lock down protests is stark.

And was there ever an explanation for this guy just strolling around, I presume he is part of some law enforcement?

https://twitter.com/taygang98/status/1267269447708028929

And was there ever an explanation for this guy just strolling around, I presume he is part of some law enforcement?

https://twitter.com/taygang98/status/1267269447708028929

That just beggars belief.
    Some idiot is going to come on and talk about "free carry" before long.

joe40 wrote: »
    Unless the police man was shouting "die n**ger" there is no way to know if an individual incident was race related.

This is not about Floyd in isolation. This is about the hundreds of unjustified police deaths in America over the years. The black population are bearing the brunt of it.
    But the stats seem to show that black people have police interaction roughly in proportion to their levels of crime.

Certainly stuff quoted here either indicates that, or doesn't indicate a comparison statistic for other races and so has no context.

Is that racist now?

I think a lot of what you've said is just something people are starting to believe simply because it's repeated so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

NYT did a really good breakdown using a few different angles and video sources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement