Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

darced wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that cop barely pushed the old man and he went down like a ton of bricks. The cop clearly did not intend to injure him at all. It seems like a terrible accident to me.

There was the Truck on the highway video where again people were screaming blue murder at the drivers attempt to commit mass murder but the video shows him clearly stopping to avoid running someone over.

There is the video of the woman screaming 'I have a baby' while being arrested and thousands of comments disgusted at how traumatised that child will be growing up. I watched the video once and could see she was holding a pair of shoes and a bag not a child.

Then there is the video of innocent people being shot at outside their own home but the video pans around and there are about 4 of them dressed as antifa wannabes.

What am I missing? I feel like I'm going crazy.

You are missing nothing.

People are looting and rioting and causing mayhem....

And the cops are trying to stop them, and all the focus is on the bad cops.....all this being perpetuated under the guise of racism....

Being perpetuated by people in very influential positions.

Cops, for the very very large part, are trying to bring peace for all people....but many people want to slate them and fight them and challenge them.....these people don't actually want peace at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This kind of misrepresentation is infuriating. So you fell the need to categories the protestors by skin color, whether the have guns or not and the signs they hold up. Yes because thats exactly what the situation needs right now, more racial categorization.

I've seen pictures of people sarcastically holding up those haircut signs, its a common thing in the midst of protests, there will always be someone who's made a comedic sign like "im so angry I made a sign".

Those protestors also gathered at government building and did not loot or riot and as much as I disagree with their argument about lockdown being over authoritarian I have no qualms about there peaceful protests. You can be sure if they were firing or looting the cops would have had no choice but to react.
    That sort of rational thought doesnt suit the "systemic racism" agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's funny how a) you find it perfectly acceptable to dismiss their protest as silly based on them being white and b) despite the protesters being armed, no riots or violence happened.
    This is a little right coming from someone who was only a few days ago literally clamoring excitedly for people to be shot dead by police for entering a man's home with that man's permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

just for once you might actually attempt to follow a thread. this is what i responded to

when you are an armed white man you can scream abuse at the police without repercussion. a 75 year old man walks up to the police and gets put in hospital. you dont seem to have an issue with this.

But the 75 year old man was white also.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

walshb wrote: »
    You are missing nothing.

And the cops are trying to stop them, and all the focus is on the bad cops.....

Cops, for the very very large part, are trying to bring peace for all people....but many people want to slate them and fight them and challenge them.....these people don't actually want peace at all.

the two cops involved have already been suspended without pay. if they cannot talk to an old man while surrounded by other cops they dont deserve to wear the uniform. on top of the brutality they have cost their department a massive amount in a settlement fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

In all fairness people thinking black lives dont matter is a terrible way to be

This is a little right coming from someone who was only a few days ago literally clamoring excitedly for people to be shot dead by police for entering a man's home with that man's permission.
    Do link, not being facetious, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

All lives matter.
    Black lives matter, white lives matter, blue lives matter.

So, we have one white man shouting? No problem. If these thugs stopped looting and just shouted, they would be treated the same as that white man was. Peaceful.

And the second photo, the man "attacked" was white. Is that still racist? I can't keep up with these lefty woke people anymore. I thought you couldnt be racist against white people.

protestors have been tear gassed just for protesting. something that the 1st amendment gives them the right to do. they dont even have to shout at the police to get pepper balls and beanbag rounds in the face. something i'm sure you approve of.

So, we have one white man shouting? No problem. If these thugs stopped looting and just shouted, they would be treated the same as that white man was. Peaceful.
    They would have gassed him like they did the peaceful protesters -and priests- outside a church in DC a few days ago.

Several of the anti-lockdown protests had physical altercations with police, and in some states the state governments literally had to close down for the day due to safety concerns... but in none of them did police escalate like they have during this. There is no pretending that these two matters have been policed in any way similarly.

Huntington Beach is a great example.
    Shining example of the two tier policing system in the US coming from Huntington Beach.

Anti lockdown protest - police focus on NOT making arrests, get in physical altercations with heavily armed protesters but look to calm the situation and allow the protest to carry on. This link has a video embedded of scenes from this protest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8279447/Thousands-anti-lockdown-protesters-ignore-social-distancing-swarm-Huntington-Beach.html

Floyd George protest - police shut it down, call it an unlawful assembly of people, do not initially respond to request for comment, and when they do make vague references to violence but never seem to have explicitly said there was any occurring at this specific protest. Here is a video from said protest - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgywi_HSryk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Who is thinking that?

• Advertisement

protestors have been tear gassed just for protesting. something that the 1st amendment gives them the right to do. they dont even have to shout at the police to get pepper balls and beanbag rounds in the face. something i'm sure you approve of.

If they were peaceful protests then the first amendment would apply.
    As these are riots and looting and burning, that is thankfully not covered by the first amendment.

cdeb wrote: »
    Who is thinking that?

Many people , hard to say how many think black lives dont matter i suppose it changes a bit from country to country.
    Id have it at about 10% of people in general
    Its a terrible way for anyone to be, where did they pick up this notion!
    Do you think black lives matter?

As these are riots and looting and burning, that is thankfully not covered by the first amendment.

the people that were on the path from the white house to the church were tear gassed, including priests. they were not violent but they were tear gassed nonetheless. all for trump to get a photo op with a bible he didnt even know was his. i've linked a spreadsheet with over 300+ examples of police brutality. i'm sure you think the protestors all deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The man on the ground wasn't looting?

Do link, not being facetious, but I have no idea what you are talking about.
    Dirty scumbags of the highest order
    Should be shot on sight by the army.
    These are the 'dirty scumbags' you would have had 'shot on sight' with no questions asked. Questions like, "did you have permission to enter the house?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-52896871/george-floyd-death-the-man-who-sheltered-80-us-protesters

All lives matter.
    Black lives matter, white lives matter, blue lives matter.
    Off course they do.
    But i was sayi g that a person thinking black lives dont matter is a tertible way to be

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

But the 75 year old man was white also.

yeah and look at him exercising his white privelege lying there concussed with blood streaming from the back of his head as teh police line marched on. (here is hoping you understand sarcasm)

anyways
    One would think he would have had more sense than to put himself in that position in the first place.
    I wonder what number he calls when he has an intruder in the house or feels threatened does he dial 911 or dial the DNC.

Many people , hard to say how many think black lives dont matter i suppose it changes a bit from country to country.
    Id have it at about 10% of people in general
    Its a terrible way for anyone to be, where did they pick up this notion!
    Do you think black lives matter?
    10% of the people, eh? What do you base that on?

Do you think 10% of this thread think black lives don't matter? Do you want to point one or two out?

Of course I think black lives matter. Anyone reading my posts here would be able to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It's funny how a) you find it perfectly acceptable to dismiss their protest as silly based on them being white and b) despite the protesters being armed, no riots or violence happened.

Compare that to recent thuggery.

Careful now, you havent found an ism for him there.
    Don't you know, he's woke!

There was no violence because the police did not engage with them. They let them do what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

walshb wrote: »
    You are missing nothing.

And the cops are trying to stop them, and all the focus is on the bad cops.....all this being perpetuated under the guise of racism....

Being perpetuated by people in very influential positions.

Cops have done very little to bring peace to this, they have in fact added to be problem that people are protesting, there are videos daily of this occurring.

The old guy having his skull cracked after being shoved. No communication, no talking, no listening.

The two girls being shot with non lethal rounds and beaten with batons.

The NYPD car driving right into a crowd of people.

Have you somehow missed how the police have antagonised the protesters who are protesting police brutality?

Isn't this the perfect place to demonstrate to the protesting people how the police are to actually brutal in their use of force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

RIGOLO wrote: »
    yeah and look at him exercising his white privelege lying there concussed with blood streaming from the back of his head as teh police line marched on. (here is hoping you understand sarcasm)

anyways
    One would think he would have had more sense than to put himself in that position in the first place.
    I wonder what number he calls when he has an intruder in the house or feels threatened does he dial 911 or dial the DNC.

I suppose rape victims have it coming too? Jesus christ.

It is simply untrue that the police only respond when looting or disturbance was taking place.
    There are plenty of times police were using massive force to disperse crowds that were not engaged in violence.

10% of the people, eh? What do you base that on?

Do you think 10% of this thread think black lives don't matter? Do you want to point one or two out?

Of course I think black lives matter. Anyone reading my posts here would be able to see that.

Well i became aware that such terrible people exist at a young age and id have it at about 10% based on everything ive heard and seen since.
    Id actually have it higher that 10% for boards users or online chat in general. Again not based on any one thing just my experience.
    My judgement is pretty good.
    Someone who thinks black lives dont matter is of very low character to begin with dishonest etc
    Being dishonest, their not going to come out and clearly state what their actually thinking, if they think black lives dont matter.
    All10% dont believe in being staight and honest about their views.

Cops have done very little to bring peace to this, they have in fact added to be problem that people are protesting, there are videos daily of this occurring.

The old guy having his skull cracked after being shoved. No communication, no talking, no listening.

The two girls being shot with non lethal rounds and beaten with batons.

The NYPD car driving right into a crowd of people.

Have you somehow missed how the police have antagonised the protesters who are protesting police brutality?

Isn't this the perfect place to demonstrate to the protesting people how the police are to actually brutal in their use of force.

most parents cant control a four year old child and the left seem to think you can control a mass of angy looters by taking a knee.

In the Utopia of the imagination of social justice warriors the glass from all the windows smashed by the peacful protestors is re-cycled into glass wands that are deployed to the police who then wave them about with love and magic dispensed to all.

The point being made to prove systemic racism exists was that police wouldn't dare do to a white man what they did to George Floyd.

So by showing that actually they would and have done, it invalidates the original argument now being made.

Now of course, the deflection is turning to schizophrenia - white schizophrenics are different (because the police obviously knew that when kneeling on him to kill him). You can't win with some people - there has to be an ism somewhere.

So just to be clear are you saying the people out protesting have nothing to protest about.

Well i became aware that such terrible people exist at a young age and id have it at about 10% based on everything ive heard and seen since.
    Id actually have it higher that 10% for boards users or online chat in general. Again not based on any one thing just my experience.
    Someone who thinks black lives dont matter is of very low character to begin with dishonest etc
    Being dishonest, their not going to come out and clearly state what their actually thinking, if they think black lives dont matter.

Higher than 10% for boards users?

But when I ask you to pick one out, you can't?

I don't think your judgement is as good as you make it out to be. I think you're just picking numbers out of thin air tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

most parents cant control a four year old child and the left seem to think you can control a mass of angy looters by taking a knee.

In the Utopia of the imagination of social justice warriors the glass from all the windows smashed by the peacful protestors is re-cycled into glass wands that are deployed to the police who then wave them about with love and magic dispensed to all.

Most parents can control their children.
    No believes you can control looters by taking a knee.

Two weeks ago white protesters with guns occupied govt buildings and nothing happened.

Now unarmed, majority black protesters are getting attacked and beaten by a police and military presence that hasn't been seen outside of a warzone. People are being injured and killed for exercising their rights to protest. Protesters are being treated as if they are looters.

I hate these childish comments. Any criticism of one side is met with a "well your side is worse!"

If you're unable to see a middle ground between doing absolutely nothing and full on assault and murder, then what's the point in contributing to this discussion?

That's just a stupid comment.

joe40 wrote: »
    So just to be clear are you saying the people out protesting have nothing to protest about.
    Where did I say that? (Hint - I didn't)

Why would you try attribute a comment to me that I haven't remotely said?

Why do you honestly think it makes sense to put words into my mouth like that? It is a really pig-ignorant way of debating.

There is a lot to protest about. That's why I praised the clarity of the google docs report documenting police brutality in all of this (which just listed events, and didn't try bring race into it). That's why I've previously commented that societal issues are a big factor - we all know what American ultra-capitalism (for want of a better phrase) is like in terms of the way it creates and treats its poor.

These are things to be protested. But by making all it about race, the real issues get hidden. That's the point I've been making all along.

• Advertisement

Being dishonest there not going to come out and clearly state what their actually thinking, if they think black lives dont matter.

Im with you if your thinking theres good and evil out there, good and evil in everyone, with some maybe more of one than another.

10% seems to be your number,seems a reasonable number, so would the following be your take on things or is your 10% only applicable to certain groups.

10% of posters here dont think black lives matter.
    10% of blacks dont think white lives matter.
    10% of heteros dont think homosexuals lives matter
    10% of homosexuals dont think heteros lives matter..
    10% of 'X' think 'the opposite of X' lives dont matter

or is there more nuance to it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement