Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

cdeb wrote: »
    Higher than 10% for boards users?

But when I ask you to pick one out, you can't?

I don't think your judgement is as good as you make it out to be. I think you're just picking numbers out of thin air tbh.

Yeah higher 10% of boards users think black lives dont matter in my opinion.
    Ive already addessed your 2nd question. Someone who thinks black lives dont matter would be very dishonest - i dont think you can argue with that.
    Therefore being dishonest their not going to openly say black lives dont matter .
    How many people do you think hold the opinion that black lives dont matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

cdeb wrote: »
    Where did I say that? (Hint - I didn't)

Why would you try attribute a comment to me that I haven't remotely said?

Why do you honestly think it makes sense to put words into my mouth like that? It is a really pig-ignorant way of debating.

There is a lot to protest about. That's why I praised the clarity of the google docs report documenting police brutality in all of this (which just listed events, and didn't try bring race into it). That's why I've previously commented that societal issues are a big factor - we all know what American ultra-capitalism (for want of a better phrase) is like in terms of the way it creates and treats its poor.

These are things to be protested. But by making all it about race, the real issues get hidden. That's the point I've been making all along.

I was asking a genuine question, I didn't put words in your mouth, I haven't read all your posts.

I absolutely take your point about police brutality been a major problem but in America it seems to be impossible to distinguish race from inequality and societal issues.
    Crime follows poverty and neglect, and in America poverty and neglect is widespread in black communities. Not exclusively, I know that.

Therefore black people in these areas feel the brunt of the police brutality. Which results in lost lives, unnecessarily.

Solving police brutality would be a massive jump, but the long term inequality issues are just as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

joe40 wrote: »
    I was asking a genuine question, I didn't put words in your mouth, I haven't read all your posts.

I absolutely take your point about police brutality been a major problem but in America it seems to be impossible to distinguish race from inequality and societal issues.
    Crime follows poverty and neglect, and in America poverty and neglect is widespread in black communities. Not exclusively, I know that.

Therefore black people in these areas feel the brunt of the police brutality. Which results in lost lives, unnecessarily

Solving police brutality would be a massive jump, but the long term inequality issues are just as important.

I would say that's only half the story.

Black people are constantly discriminated against. Some overtly, some covertly, some may never experience a level of racism that effects the course of their lives, some will have their lives irreparably damaged.

It's not limited to black people who suffer poverty and neglect, it's always there in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RIGOLO wrote: »
    most parents cant control a four year old child and the left seem to think you can control a mass of angy looters by taking a knee.

In the Utopia of the imagination of social justice warriors the glass from all the windows smashed by the peacful protestors is re-cycled into glass wands that are deployed to the police who then wave them about with love and magic dispensed to all.

That waffle might make sense to you, but I haven’t a clue what your on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

2u2me wrote: »
    The cop should not have pushed the protestor.
    Do you know the Code of conduct for the riot police?

They DO have power to push the protestors if they obstruct the movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Black people are constantly discriminated against. Some overtly, some covertly, some may never experience a level of racism that effects the course of their lives, some will have their lives irreparably damaged.

It's not limited to black people who suffer poverty and neglect, it's always there in some form.

Yeah I can agree with that. Racism of all types can be insidious.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

That waffle might make sense to you, but I haven’t a clue what your on about.

In breaking news , it has been reported that 100% of the people who stayed at home watching Netflix, bonding with their children , reading them bed time stories and cooking up their favourite dish were NOT injured during a riot in their city.

Scientists are baffled by this phenomenom , how can they not have been injured social distancing from confronting police officers in the dead of night during tense standoffs.

Some have postulated it may have somethign todo with staying at home and looking after their family , others think its just another example of white supremacy and male privelege.

We expect a thesis or 10 to come out of it... stay tuned

People are protesting Racism. which in the US is the systemic racism that has kept (mainly) blacks oppressed for years now.

Part of the systemic racism, and a major part of it is the treatment Black people receive from the police all around the country. As a evidence pretty clearly by the knee on George Floyd, as if that needed to be said.

The fact that these protests have shown multiple instances of this police brutality that is being protested against has only compounded the View of most people and gives protesters no reason to stop.

What’s more worrying is that The leadership in the US has no idea how to tackle this protesting. They don’t understand the problem to even contemplate a solution. When MLk was shot it took them 6 days to being in the civil rights act. There hasn’t been any talk of anything changing since this incident occurred

George Floyd was arrested for committing a crime, not for being black.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

na1 wrote: »

Already guilty, eh ?

• Advertisement

In breaking news , it has been reported that 100% of the people who stayed at home watching Netflix, bonding with their children , reading them bed time stories and cooking up their favourite dish were NOT injured during a riot in their city.

Scientists are baffled by this phenomenom , how can they not have been injured social distancing from confronting police officers in the dead of night during tense standoffs.

Some have postulated it may have somethign todo with staying at home and looking after their family , others think its just another example of white supremacy and male privelege.

Nobody is talking about the riots, we're talking about the protests.

Nobody should be injured during a peaceful protest.

If you can't decouple protests from riots then again, what's the point of joining in this discussion?

And was he killed for that crime? Or was he a victim of a racist attack.

Why were white protesters with guns allowed to occupy government buildings two weeks ago, while majority black protesters on the streets are pepper sprayed and beaten?

People are protesting Racism. which in the US is the systemic racism that has kept (mainly) blacks oppressed for years now.

Part of the systemic racism, and a major part of it is the treatment Black people receive from the police all around the country. As a evidence pretty clearly by the knee on George Floyd, as if that needed to be said.

The fact that these protests have shown multiple instances of this police brutality that is being protested against has only compounded the View of most people and gives protesters no reason to stop.

What’s more worrying is that The leadership in the US has no idea how to tackle this protesting. They don’t understand the problem to even contemplate a solution. When MLk was shot it took them 6 days to being in the civil rights act. There hasn’t been any talk of anything changing since this incident occurred

yep it was the white man that made the black man go out and shoot 1000 plus other black men in Chicago so far this year.
    It was the white mans systemic racism that made the black man go out and shoot over 2000 other black men last year in Chicago

the only thing systemic about whats goign on is that the Democrats who run the bulk of these cities are systemically inept at running anything....
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/data/ct-shooting-victims-map-charts-htmlstory.html

It was the white man systemic racism that made my dinner go cold... who can I contact on this

josip wrote: »
    Already guilty, eh ?

This is your worlds not mine!

Can you provide a proof of a racial discrimination in this case please?

And was he killed for that crime? Or was he a victim of a racist attack.
    1) he wasn't killed.
    2) he wan't attacked on the racial background (unless you can prove otherwise?)

Was Justine Damond shot by a racist?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Justine_Damond

This is your worlds not mine!

No, they are your words.

The normal terminology would be "arrested in connection with a crime" or similar.
    Saying "arrested for committing a crime" implies a prejudgment of guilt.

The normal terminology would be "arrested in connection with a crime" or similar.

I see, you're enforcing lawyers terminology in this thread?
    Then why are you calling the police officers guilty, while they ARE NOT?
    4 police officers were fired and one arrested "in connection with a crime".
    Why everybody calling them criminals and demand the strict punishment?

Then why are you calling the police officers guilty, while they ARE NOT?
    4 police officers were fired and one arrested "in connection with a crime".
    Why everybody calling them criminals and demand the strict punishment?

I have never commented on the above, perhaps other posters did.
    My point was about your telling phraseology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

He wasn't arrested though, as being arrested involves being taken into custody. The cops killed him before that could happen, which the independent autopsy has confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,914 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Where are the orders coming from to attack peaceful protesters ? Filtering down from the White House? We've not seen such acts of assaults by police on women, kids, elderly in the past, yet in last weeks we've seen 100's of these attacks by police caught on tape. All innocent people, protesting, or minding their own business.

A pensioner goes to talk to a cop, and they push him down forcefully, smashing his head on the ground, he might not live, and they go off to get a fcking doughnut?

• Advertisement

No, they are your words.

not really , thats just a cooloquialism we all use

but then again , the social justice warriors also moonlight as the grammar and punctuation police, lets add phraseology to the list of things they claim ownership of who,where,what,when and how a thing may be discussed. Its not called totalitairism for nothing.

The only way to follow up two paragraphs of nonsense is with 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The issue here appears to be turning into one about police brutality in a broader sense more so than of blacks

Where are the orders coming from to attack peaceful protesters ? Filtering down from the White House? We've not seen such acts of assaults by police on women, kids, elderly in the past, yet in last weeks we've seen 100's of these attacks by police caught on tape. All innocent people, protesting, or minding their own business.

A pensioner goes to talk to a cop, and they push him down forcefully, smashing his head on the ground, he might not live, and they go off to get a fcking doughnut?

Minding your own business, is sitting at home with nachos watching The Crown.

Standing in front of a police line is only minding your own business if your a social justice warrior.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You absolutely put words in my mouth. You said "So just to be clear, are you saying [something I never came close to saying]" That is putting words in my mouth as clear as day.

Therefore black people in these areas feel the brunt of the police brutality. Which results in lost lives, unnecessarily.

I would agree with that entirely.

But none of it is racist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And this is the problem - you tell one person "No - the police killed a white person in the exact same way and got away with it", and then another person comes along to try make the same point again.

The whole argument becomes something that people just accept to be true without any sort of rational analysis.

I'm so surprised from the restraints of the protesters in the midst of such obvious abuse of power. The right to bear arms was all about the people governing the people they elect, and if those elected abused their power the people rose up.

The right to bear arms means little, when the President uses attack helicopters and the man on the street has a pistol.

Minding your own business, is sitting at home with nachos watching The Crown.

Standing in front of a police line is only minding your own business if your a social justice warrior.

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

yep it was the white man that made the black man go out and shoot 1000 plus other black men in Chicago so far this year.
    It was the white mans systemic racism that made the black man go out and shoot over 2000 other black men last year in Chicago

the only thing systemic about whats goign on is that the Democrats who run the bulk of these cities are systemically inept at running anything....
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/data/ct-shooting-victims-map-charts-htmlstory.html

It was the white man systemic racism that made my dinner go cold... who can I contact on this

Wait let me try and make sense of this one.

Because homicides happen Racism doesn’t?

• Advertisement

I have never commented on the above, perhaps other posters did.

My point was about your telling phraseology.

OK, so what is all this topic about?
    The black guy died in hospital in some un-investigated circumstances.
    There were NO police offences made! Not even talking about any racial discrimination.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement