Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Sniper69 wrote: »
    Nah youre the only one here pushing the race angle.

This was police brutality, end of. The protest is for police brutality. Id join the protest if I was there. Not for race but because police brutality cant be allowed to continue

I agree, but that cop was trained like the rest of them and knew damn well that prolonged crushing from the knee on the back of a persons neck/spine will cause serious restriction of blood flow to the brain and also severe blockage of oxygen to the brain. That cop obviously didn't care. I wonder if he was ex military and joined the police force. That cop commited murder plain and simple crushing the arrested persons neck while hancuffed for a long period of time. It's murder plain and simple, sure you can see it in broad daylight.

There wasn't many people outraged when this other poor guy was beaten to death by six so-called police officers in Fullerton, California 2011.

Kelly Thomas (April 5, 1974 – July 10, 2011) was a homeless man diagnosed with schizophrenia who lived on the streets of Fullerton, California. He was beaten to death by six members of the Fullerton Police Department, on July 5, 2011. Thomas was taken to St. Jude Medical Center before being transferred to the UC Irvine Medical Center, where he was comatose on arrival and not expected to recover. He never regained consciousness, and died on July 10, 2011.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sniper69

nullzero wrote: »
    Luxury life?
    I said they won't have the luxury of jobs or amenities after destroying their own communities.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

No. This is a cretinous argument and you know it. They destroyed a tax center in the middle of a pandemic, forcing the government to spend even more money and manpower to contain the situation. This hurts the government tenfold, thats why the mayor is doing his best to appeal to the protestors. They leveraged their protest, intentionally or not.

When someone says FACTS without reading what they wrote. Sad.

I agree, but that cop was trained like the rest of them and knew damn well that prolonged crushing from the knee on the back of a persons neck/spine will cause serious restriction of blood flow to the brain and also severe blockage of oxygen to the brain. That cop obviously didn't care. I wonder if he was ex military and joined the police force. That cop commited murder plain and simple crushing the arrested persons neck while hancuffed for a long period of time. It's murder plain and simple, sure you can see it in broad daylight.

There wasn't many people outraged when this other poor guy was beaten to death by six so-called police officers in Fullerton, California 2011.

Kelly Thomas (April 5, 1974 – July 10, 2011) was a homeless man diagnosed with schizophrenia who lived on the streets of Fullerton, California. He was beaten to death by six members of the Fullerton Police Department, on July 5, 2011. Thomas was taken to St. Jude Medical Center before being transferred to the UC Irvine Medical Center, where he was comatose on arrival and not expected to recover. He never regained consciousness, and died on July 10, 2011.

Yes im well aware. This protest did not happen in a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Luxury life?
    I said they won't have the luxury of jobs or amenities after destroying their own communities.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

Ahh your down the road of riots, my bad..

Like I said previously, riot talk is not the place for this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

that cop was trained like the rest of them and knew damn well that prolonged crushing from the knee on the back of a persons neck/spine will cause serious restriction of blood flow to the brain and also severe blockage of oxygen to the brain. That cop obviously didn't care.

I didn't notice until it was pointed out but the cops other foot is wiggling around freely, sometimes up in the air, indicating his entire weight was being put into his knee. He knew what he was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Ahh your down the road of riots, my bad..

Like I said previously, riot talk is not the place for this thread

Riot talk is not the place for this thread?

Glazers Out!

Story gets weirder.

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-fired-officer-overlapped-security-shifts-at-south-minneapolis-club-may-28-2020/5743990/

So did these two know each other? Was there a history of bad interactions? This could lead to second degree or first degree depending on their history

Riot talk is not the place for this thread?

Yes, it's being used as a deflection tactic. It deserves its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

But a very accurate one at that, sick to death of all the racist card **** being played. It was a terrible wrong no doubt but was no way racially motivated and doesn't give blacks the right to loot and pillage.

White people were looting too, but don't let that get in the way of your racist ramblings.

EZE-VZMWkAEWS2M?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1266136952874696709

There will be chaos if he doesn't get a charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Sniper69 wrote: »
    Story gets weirder.

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-fired-officer-overlapped-security-shifts-at-south-minneapolis-club-may-28-2020/5743990/

So did these two know each other? Was there a history of bad interactions? This could lead to second degree or first degree depending on their history

If true "A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year."

That makes it far worse; no?! Possible intent.

°°°°°

Yes, it's being used as a deflection tactic. It deserves its own thread

Deflection tactic?

It's part of the topic at hand as it's directly related to it.

I'll wait until the site staff instruct us otherwise to stop posting about it.

Glazers Out!

Deflection tactic?

It's part of the topic at hand as it's directly related to it.

I'll wait until the site staff instruct us otherwise to stop posting about it.

I tried to pm you, in box to full

°°°°°

I tried to pm you, in box to full

Why did you want to pm me?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No worries. Was just a question. Unless you are comfortable disclosing your ethnicity and sex, it's not too important.

Do you believe in white privilege for the normal Joe soap who walks around Dublin?

Well, you’d have to analyze Irish social politics to determine that. Irish make up 84% of the population of Ireland according to the ‘pedia. Has the deck been stacked against the other 16%? If so you may have found a privilege. For example, it would seem to the amateur observer that there is a privilege case to be made of Joe Soap over Thomas Traveler.

Why did you want to pm me?

I don't want to clog up the thread

They’ve activated the national guard in MN. I hope the riots will quell when the guard is pacifying the crowds rather than the city police who are the cause of the problem.

°°°°°

I don't want to clog up the thread

If what you have to say is on topic it's hardly clogging.

Glazers Out!

If what you have to say is on topic it's hardly clogging.

My whole point is about the riot talk, so yeah it's clogging up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Doge

I’m seeing some interesting posts on Facebook.

There was a man dressed in all black with a gas mask with purple filter covers, carrying a black umbrella in a saved live video (that is still doing the rounds) smashing the windows in the AutoZone retail outlet and thus instigating the destruction / riot.
    A protester confronted him asking if he was a cop and he shrugged and walked away.

The post also shows close photos of the mans face along with a photo of a local sergeant who is suspected to have been undercover carrying out the vandalism, and also screenshots of a suspected messenger conversation from his wife and a friend who supposedly identified him in wearing her gas mask.

I know screenshots can be faked but Ii will be interesting to see if it’s confirmed to be him and what the outcome will be.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I’m seeing some interesting posts on Facebook.

There was a man dressed in all black with a gas mask with purple filter covers, carrying a black umbrella in a saved live video (that is still doing the rounds) smashing the windows in the AutoZone retail outlet and thus instigating the destruction / riot.
    A protester confronted him asking if he was a cop and he shrugged and walked away.

The post also shows close photos of the mans face along with a photo of a local sergeant who is suspected to have been undercover carrying out the vandalism, and also screenshots of a suspected messenger conversation from his wife and a friend who supposedly identified him in wearing her gas mask.

I know screenshots can be faked but Ii will be interesting to see if it’s confirmed to be him and what the outcome will be.

THAT would be a major development

°°°°°

My whole point is about the riot talk, so yeah it's clogging up the thread.

You mean the riots that happened as a result of George Floyd's death?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say these riots are connected to the topic at hand.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    THAT would be a major development

Not a little conspiratorial for your tastes?

Glazers Out!

Not a little conspiratorial for your tastes?

No it’s certainly a plausibility. However there is no clear evidence for or against the notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely nuts how they carry themselves to be honest....

He didn't deserve to die and the cop should definitely have known better but seriously the man was no angel....

Imagine how the people he terrorised felt and have they ever actually recovered.

I honestly hope he did turn his life around and hopefully good has come of that but unfortunately now good decent caring cops will be targets due to this....

The cops that carry themselves like in this case don't deserve the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

you replied with a load of waffle talking about general crime rates (not demographically) plummeting since the 80's due to more policing and they've been increasing since there's been less policing.
    You asked: Did I ever consider that the larger crime rates among blacks corresponded to the higher levels of policing that the black community experiences. Your implication was that the disproportionate crime rate among blacks is causally related with the larger levels of policing.

The main problem with this theory is that the over-policing would've had to have preceded the increased crime rates and this isn't true. The police (at least in the northern states where Jim Crow did not exist) never focused disproportionately on blacks because crime did not disproportionately come from blacks. The policing was a response to crime. Not the other way around. Increased policing will lead to lower crime and there's half a century of sociological research backing that claim.
    You go on to say the reason is to do mainly with single motherhood in minority communities........ while poverty and environment are factors in going on to commit crime in some individuals there is a lot of other factors at play in crime rates being higher amongst black people.
    Yes and the number one predictor of all those factors in western developed countries is single motherhood.
    One (of these of factors) definitely being, a sustained focus on black people by police.
    Wrong.

Not in the northern states where blacks migrated to in large numbers in the late 18th century where Jim Crow was not in effect. Blacks were not over-policed in these regions.

And what's more, in the south where Jim Crow was in effect and blacks were over-policed for racist reasons, crime rates were not disproportionate which would contradict your thesis further.
    You also go on to spout more irrelevant waffle about inner city crime pre 60's being non existent relative to today. This has nothing to do with what I asked you.
    It's absolutely relevant since your claim is that this community is being over-policed due to racial bias.

Answer me this: Is America more racist today than it was pre 1960s and if so how did that happen?
    On the second last quote above, you're right. You said crime rates are higher amongst black people. I asked did you consider these "crime" rates in a demographic correspond with a sustained focus on black people.
    Yes and this crime rate (along with the general crime rate) decreased from the 80s onwards when policing increased. This is well documented.

The crime rate among blacks and the rate of policing among blacks is still disproportionately high today but only because it was always high(er) to begin with (even if it wasn't all that high in absolute terms pre 1960s). See 1960s is the point at which the crime rate spikes generally but especially in the black community.
    You also say incredulously you even provided a source..... You think because you read some fellas book it's gospel. Newsflash, there's a lot of books out there with differing opinions.
    If you don't like my source, you're welcome to provide one of your own. I'm happy to be proven wrong if the facts bear it out. I've provided many facts (which you're welcome to fact check). You've yet to provide a single one of your own beyond your thesis that crime in the black community corresponds with the rate of policing and therefore there is some sort of causal relationship between the two. I agree with you. But the causal relationship runs in the other direction.
    I'll explain it a different way to you. Consider this......if the police stop and search 100 black people and stop and search 20 white people... which demographic do you think will have the higher crime rate?
    Again, this is based on the fallacious premise you keep employing that disproportionate policing leads to disproportionate crime. You have it completely backwards.

You mean the riots that happened as a result of George Floyd's death?

I don't think it's unreasonable to say these riots are connected to the topic at hand.

For me there's a context, if you are using it as others there's a difference for me, if not okay.. others have contributed to this thread with an indifferenece to the topic of the thread, they sought to move the discussion to the riot's to make less of what has happened in the situation of George Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

The "1916 lads" weren't looting shops.

Ever seen O'Casey's "The Plough and the Stars"?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

So much bull****, if it was a white guy nothing would have happened except blacks cheering saying well deserved. A black guy dies and gives every black person in USA the right to do what they do best act likes arseholes and criminals. Yes the copper was in the wrong but no excuses for what the black community always do. Was glad today to see shop keepers had shot dead looters.

Mod: @Enter name here - One thing to have a differing opinion. Quite another to tar an entire ethnicity with the same brush. Don't post in the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Another building on fire. Place like a warzone.

News feed.
    https://www.facebook.com/wmbfnews/videos/589059428382635/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement