Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

For a second, let's think.. the old man does instigate the situation and deserves the push.... What would the report be like to your station, "we were engaged by a man when we told them to clear the area"?

Guess again.. "He tripped and fell". Innocent people don't tell lies.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffRussoWKBW/status/1268712651292643334
    It gets better... both two of those cops were suspended, and in response 57 of the cops resigned from that unit.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/05/buffalo-new-york-police-officers-suspended-shoving-man-ground/3153626001/
    "Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square," said Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans. "It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

Good, I say. If they think that behaviour is acceptable and are happy to continue to lie about 'slipping', then they shouldn't be on that duty. Frankly, they shouldn't be out policing the public with those kind of attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

How can people seriously defend cops who attack a 75 year old?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

correct me if I am wrong but I thought social gatherings were illegal due to the pandemic.

Illegal? I don't think so, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

joe40 wrote: »
    Are you talking about Ireland or the US. I have very little problems with the police here.
    There are issues but overall the vast majority of guards are a well trained professional police force.

Agree with you on the Irish police,
    No police force is 100% there will always be some bad apples.

the reality is the media have whipped people into a frenzy, and the protesters who think they will make a change are only inflaming the situation.

What happened with Floyd was wrong, no question, but rioting and attacking other innocent people is no excuse.
    Due to the pandemic there should be no groups of people massing.

If people truly believe the USA police force is racist and violent etc, they you dont antagonize those police, a moron could grasp that.

This notion that because one cop is bad the whole force is corrupt is again a thing whipped up by people intent on causing trouble.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Did you miss the protests the other week? Lads feeling they were living in a nazi United States because they were on lockdown and or being told to wear face coverings.. so they marched to their states capitol buildings armed with ar-15's to demand their rights back.. great bunch of lads!

yep the contrast is black and white

legitimately armed protestors heading to the state house to OPEN up business so peopel can make a living
    peaceful protestors heading downtown to burn down business and loot peoples livelihoods..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t pay too much attention lately to everyone falling over themselves to criticise the cops at every turn. To be seen to be in the right side...

If I were the cops now I’d say, shag it, let all these do gooders who are slating us restore law and order. I’m going home.

We pay them, they aren't doing this difficult job out of the kindness of their heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

my grandparents who were law abiding people are dead, my parents observe the laws and are not stupid enough to confront police doing their jobs.
    Nor am I.

Way to avoid a perfectly valid question, says a lot about your character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

It gets better... both two of those cops were suspended, and in response 57 of the cops resigned from that unit.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/05/buffalo-new-york-police-officers-suspended-shoving-man-ground/3153626001/
    "Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square," said Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans. "It doesn't specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don't know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards."

Good, I say. If they think that behaviour is acceptable and are happy to continue to lie about 'slipping', then they shouldn't be on that duty. Frankly, they shouldn't be out policing the public with those kind of attitudes.

Read some comments down the timeline, I love the one were they don't understand how the guys head is floating off the ground? He mustn't be a fan of fighting, it's exactly what happens when serious trauma is done to the brain the body stiffens up and then relaxs after a bit, this can be seen in the video where he drops the phone out if his hand after a few seconds.

Way to avoid a perfectly valid question, says a lot about your character.

yes, it does,
    It says I am a law abiding one, that were I ever told to move on by riot police I would.

Except I would not be out there in the first place.
    I am glad you are finally grasping it...well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

RIGOLO wrote: »
    yep the contrast is black and white

legitimately armed protestors heading to the state house to OPEN up business so peopel can make a living
    peaceful protestors heading downtown to burn down business and loot peoples livelihoods..

Exactly, a great bunch of lads that broke the restrictions for everyone not just themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Are people really still lumping the peaceful protesters (who are the vast, vast majority) and the opportunistic looters into one group?

I misssed the pictures of Bewleys windows beeing smashed in and Clerys being burned to the ground and the accounts of the fella who walked up and shot a Garda in the back of the head. Have to complement the Garda on their restraint given those circumstances.
    can you post up the pics..
    I missed the pictures of that old man smashing windows and shooting at people, too. Just like I missed the pictures of the peaceful protesters and priests in Washington doing so the other day before they got gassed.

There are countless incidents where the police have used excessive force entirely unnecessarily during these protests against peaceful protesters, and that is what has escalated them so much. Had the American police not been so eager to use their military equipment during these protests against not just violent but also peaceful protesters, this situation would not be where it is.

Had the Gardaí acted like the Blacks and Tans, we would have smashed in windows up and down O'Connell and Grafton Street, and we would have had very ugly scenes the other day. And going by your posts, you would be leading the cheers for the return of the Blacks and Tans to the streets of Dublin to restore order.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Why do you think it is mostly men who commit crime and are more often the victims of police brutality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Why do you think it is mostly men who commit crime and are more often the victims of police brutality?

Why do you think it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly minimum effective force, not force as a form of intimidation. We don't shoot people for mistakes on their tax return, even though they have broken the law

And look at the utopia we have. Scum with 150+ convictions strolling around as if they own the place. That’s just googling the term “200 previous convictions”.

https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/around-carlow/506904/man-with-over-200-previous-convictions-stole-petrol-in-kildare-due-to-boredom-court-hears.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/comment-the-man-pointing-the-gun-had-over-200-previous-convictions-and-was-out-on-bail-why-does-irish-law-allow-this-35533967.html

https://www.thejournal.ie/clondalkin-car-chase-3497124-Jul2017/

I missed the pictures of that old man smashing windows and shooting at people, too. Just like I missed the pictures of the peaceful protesters and priests in Washington doing so the other day before they got gassed.

There are countless incidents where the police have used excessive force entirely unnecessarily during these protests against peaceful protesters, and that is what has escalated them so much. Had the American police not been so eager to use their military equipment during these protests against not just violent but also peaceful protesters, this situation would not be where it is.

Had the Gardaí acted like the Blacks and Tans, we would have smashed in windows up and down O'Connell and Grafton Street, and we would have had very ugly scenes the other day. And going by your posts, you would be leading the cheers for the return of the Blacks and Tans to the streets of Dublin to restore order.

thats a racist remark .. you need to be re-indoctrinated.
    its no longer the Black and Tans as thats insulting to minority groups, they are forthwith referred to as the 'wearers of uniforms that are 2 earthy colours'

Who do you call when your atacked ?
    Do you call BLM, ACLU or SLPC ?

The Chicago police force are taking the weekend off, will you be patrolling the streets there exercising restraint so a dozen black males arent off'ed by a
    dozen other black males, or will you be sleeping soundly in bed knowing you saved the world by getting outraged over some 70 year old who as someone else so eloquently put it, did a stupid thing and won a stupid prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rodin wrote: »
    It should be noted that police officers shoot dead more white people than they do any other ethnicity in the US

It should be noted that police officers shoot dead black people at a RATE 2.5x more than whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I mean isn't it obvious, contrast this with the USA where police are armed and far more heavy handed and the justice system hands out much heavier sentencing. Which country do you believe is safer to live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Overheal wrote: »
    It should be noted that police officers shoot dead black people at a RATE 2.5x more than whites.

What is the violent crime rate amongst black people compared to white people?

If it’s 2.5x more then that’s comparable.

If it’s over 2.5x then white people are being killed in disproportionate numbers by the police.

the old fossil
    1. ignored police warnings
    2. impeded the oncoming police
    3. and did so during a pandemic where he not only ignored social distancing rules, but at his age was prone to not only having corona, but spreading it.,

That elder American Patriot probably fought communism.

Why should he have to bow to fascism on his own street?

So many people on this threat utterly disgust me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very unfair not adding the facts....

I'd suggest people look.at dash cam, body can or security cam footage if available and in many cases will see this was warranted.

I've seen many where the police are pleading with them, others shooting officers at point blank range, drive by, many other instances.....

Where are all the protesters that are out the whole day getting to use facilities such as toilets and washing their hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Odhinn

thats a racist remark (.............) and won a stupid prize.

Earlier you stated

you mean your going to give them a job and let them get on with being a productive law abiding member of society

Who is "them"?

What percentage of crimes are carried out by white people??

How many black Karen’s call 911 on white birdwatchers?

it should be noted that police officers stop more houses of posters on boards from being robbed , than any other profession.
    it should also be noted that police officiers stop more loved ones of posters on boards being aassaulted , than any other profession

Who do you call when your being assaulted do you ring 999 or ICCL ?
    I expect when you do ring 999, you make sure to request a guard who has completed his diversity training.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Breonna_Taylor

Just from a few weeks ago. High profile don't know how you missed it.

Because these people are willfully pig ignorant about wtf is going on.

It doesn’t affect them. They are blowing custard out of their back hole.

thats a racist remark .. you need to be re-indoctrinated.
    its no longer the Black and Tans as thats insulting to minority groups, they are forthwith referred to as the 'wearers of uniforms that are 2 earthy colours'

Who do you call when your atacked ?
    Do you call BLM, ACLU or SLPC ?

The Chicago police force are taking the weekend off, will you be patrolling the streets there exercising restraint so a dozen black males arent off'ed by a
    dozen other black males, or will you be sleeping soundly in bed knowing you saved the world by getting outraged over some 70 year old who as someone else so eloquently put it, did a stupid thing and won a stupid prize.
    Is there any actual point to this virtue-signalling riddled post of yours?

The brutal tactics of several US police departments during these riots have nothing to do with Ireland being peaceful, which was your initial claim. And if the Gardaí had acted like the Blacks and Tans, which you seem highly supportive of, the protests in Dublin would have escalated into a full scale riot, which I certainly wouldn't have wanted since I live here. Thankfully the Gardaí have far more cop on than that and just sent the gobsh*te organisers prosecution notices which in turn led to them canceling any further events, all without losing any public goodwill or gaining the organisers any sympathy. And that is who I call if I am being attacked - the Gardai.

how long before some snowflake claims the irish language is racist due to the irish for black man ?

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

That elder American Patriot probably fought communism.

Why should he have to bow to fascism on his own street?

So many people on this threat utterly disgust me.

Fought communism as part of the CIA?

You originally said he possibly fought the Nazis before editing your post (I'm assuming you realised he wasn't old enough to have done so).

Pushing an old man isn't right, the cop in question should have used his common sense in dealing with an older person and he deserves to be punished /fired.

All that being said this isn't fascism, we're there to be an actual fascist system in America you would really know about it. You still have freedom of speech and expression, and while there are definite serious social issues that haven't been dealt with in American society, having a dumb as a brick Republican president doesn't mean America is a fascist country,
    if anything George W and his Neo Con cohorts were probably a closer match to a fascist system than dum dum, foot in mouth Trump.

Glazers Out!

Is there any actual point to this virtue-signalling riddled post of yours?

The brutal tactics of several US police departments during these riots have nothing to do with Ireland being peaceful, which was your initial claim. And if the Gardaí had acted like the Blacks and Tans, which you seem highly supportive of, the protests in Dublin would have escalated into a full scale riot, which I certainly wouldn't have wanted since I live here. Thankfully the Gardaí have far more cop on than that and just sent the gobsh*te organisers prosecution notices which in turn led to them canceling any further events, all without losing any public goodwill or gaining the organisers any sympathy.

yes indeed Im so supportive of them you will not be able to find a single post on boards where I actually mention them other than one recent sarcastic remark to say they are now called 'wearers of uniforms of earthy colours'

when are you going to roll out the N word (Germany 1936) and say Im one of them.

if a social justice warrior hasnt used that once in a day to label someone they disagree with, then its just not been a day where they expressed enough outrage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I think higher testosterone levels have something to do it. Driving more aggressive and impulsive behaviour. Obviously only a part of the reason but in my opinion it is significant.

It seems like blacks have higher T compared with, for example, whites or Chinese immigrants. Hence greater proclivity to crime, and confrontational interactions with police that escalate .

It’s a very interesting area. I would think that socio economic background has a far greater influence.
    I not sure how much I agree with your second paragraph though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement