Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

It’s a very interesting area. I would think that socio economic background has a far greater influence.
    I not sure how much I agree with your second paragraph though.

I think it is high testosterone mixed with fatherless families. A dangerous cocktail for a young lad especially when he grows up surrounded by criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well one way of measuring intelligence is by IQ.

82a7261d-3a12-4feb-8468-f1897c2122d9.jpg

Sources from multiple studies at the bottom of the image.

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

Broader discussion on usefulness of IQ etc etc

Measure math and literacy skills, spatial awareness etc. but most Africans are, what, subsistence farmers and hunter gatherers in some places, with access to basic education being a problem?

Can be very misleading. Very broad debate about this happening for some number of years now in the sciences. TBH I think it’s use here is limited and is going to be incendiary between armchair psychiatrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well one way of measuring intelligence is by IQ.

82a7261d-3a12-4feb-8468-f1897c2122d9.jpg

Sources from multiple studies at the bottom of the image.

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

It is a terrible way. Now match that up with money spent on education per capita.

IQ tests are tests and are simply a matter of getting used to style of questions which we see more in places with money for education. Familiarity with taking tests is also a big deal and being comfortable in a test makes a massive difference.

Anyone spouting IQ as a good measure of intelligence doesn't know what they are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

How many white birdwatchers state ‘I’m gonna do something you aren’t gonna like’ while beckoning someone’s dog towards them??

Are you referring to this video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

A co-founder of Reddit has resigned from his position and said his spot should be filled by a black candidate.

https://news.sky.com/story/alexis-ohanian-reddit-co-founder-resigns-and-calls-for-his-job-to-be-given-to-black-candidate-12001346

personally, i'd give the job to the best suited candidate

i suppose he's lucky that he's worth €70m. maybe donate half of that, put your money where your mouth is.

He's Serena Williams wife so not unsurprising he said this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

How many white birdwatchers state ‘I’m gonna do something you aren’t gonna like’ while beckoning someone’s dog towards them??

Where did you pull that quote out of?

I think it is high testosterone mixed with fatherless families. A dangerous cocktail for a young lad especially when he grows up surrounded by criminal gangs.

A bit sweeping but yes those are factors. Barack Obama runs the My Brothers Keeper Foundation for addressing those issue. It is part of the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Overheal wrote: »
    Broader discussion on usefulness of IQ etc etc

Measure math and literacy skills, spatial awareness etc. but most Africans are, what, subsistence farmers and hunter gatherers in some places, with access to basic education being a problem?

Can be very misleading. Very broad debate about this happening for some number of years now in the sciences. TBH I think it’s use here is limited and is going to be incendiary between armchair psychiatrists.

Yeah I've read a lot on the usefulness of IQ tests, it's a strange one, nobody can make their mind up on how good they are when it comes to uneducated people... but that's kinda the point of an "intelligence" test.

He's Serena Williams wife so not unsurprising he said this.

Hopefully Serena will not to be too rough with him when he gets home. Would not want to mess with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Are you referring to this video?

I'm not sure if I feel more sorry for the innocent black man she's talking absolute guff to or the dog shes clearly choking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Saw the clip of the cops 'pushing' over the old tall white guy.

From the reports I had heard I had assumed they flung him to the ground but that is about the lightest shove I have ever seen. Hopefully he is ok as he hit his head but the two cops are being demonised as if they smashed him to the ground.

JJayoo wrote: »

From the reports I had heard I had assumed they flung him to the ground but that is about the lightest shove I have ever seen. Hopefully he is ok as he hit his head but the two cops are being demonised as if they smashed him to the ground.

This.

Also if a cop in America told me to "get down" or "go back" or anything like that I'd bloody well comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hopefully he is ok as he hit his head but the two cops are being demonised as if they smashed him to the ground.

They pushed him to the ground and left him injured with a visible head wound completely over the top and an unnecessary reaction from the cops

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is a terrible way. Now match that up with money spent on education per capita.

IQ tests are tests and are simply a matter of getting used to style of questions which we see more in places with money for education. Familiarity with taking tests is also a big deal and being comfortable in a test makes a massive difference.

Anyone spouting IQ as a good measure of intelligence doesn't know what they are on about.

I’ve taken one. In the 90s. Big section was spatial awareness I recall, they’d show you a shape, like a prism or a box etc. with funky features on it, and you’d have a multiple choice of unfolded versions of the shape: eg. Match the right unfolded flatten cardboard box to the assembled on on the right.

How many indigenous people in Africa grow up playing with cardboard boxes and ****? Most would fail the test because it has a Geo/cultural bias. It would be like declaring me mentally handicapped in China because I couldn’t handle chopsticks by the age of 6 or something. IQ tests were formulated by western psychologists.

https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/reference/issues-debates-culture-bias

A bit sweeping but yes those are factors. Barack Obama runs the My Brothers Keeper Foundation for addressing those issue. It is part of the whole.

I think more sweeping is blaming the police for intentionally killing people in unprovoked attacks but only against black people not Latinos, whites, Asians or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

A co-founder of Reddit has resigned from his position and said his spot should be filled by a black candidate.

https://news.sky.com/story/alexis-ohanian-reddit-co-founder-resigns-and-calls-for-his-job-to-be-given-to-black-candidate-12001346

personally, i'd give the job to the best suited candidate

i suppose he's lucky that he's worth €70m. maybe donate half of that, put your money where your mouth is.

I am in now way supportive of affirmative action/positive discrimination, gender quotas or any other form of social engineering.
    Best person for the job. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'm not sure if I feel more sorry for the innocent black man she's talking absolute guff to or the dog shes clearly choking.

Apparently it had to do with him insisting she put her dog on the leash because it was a leashed area with rare plants, and then trying to 'bribe' the dog out of a plant bed at which point she freaked out and he started recording. If he hadn't had his phone on him, who knows how that situation could have gone.

It happened right around the same time as the George Floyd death which probably played a bit more of a role in it going viral, and apparently in her getting fired and having the dog taken off her.

Yeah I've read a lot on the usefulness of IQ tests, it's a strange one, nobody can make their mind up on how good they are when it comes to uneducated people... but that's kinda the point of an "intelligence" test.

Depends how they are used and it’s not without controversy. For the most part they’re fine in application in western education systems because that’s what it was formulated around, that’s how they researched child development etc. and it kinda just assesses your educational aptitude. I score fairly highly on these tests, gifted level but no Stephen hawking. But it is no measure of, for example, my social intelligence, like my ability to read a room and not make inappropriate jokes at a funeral or something.

I’ve taken one. In the 90s. Big section was spatial awareness I recall, they’d show you a shape, like a prism or a box etc. with funky features on it, and you’d have a multiple choice of unfolded versions of the shape: eg. Match the right unfolded flatten cardboard box to the assembled on on the right.

How many indigenous people in Africa grow up playing with cardboard boxes and ****? Most would fail the test because it has a Geo/cultural bias. It would be like declaring me mentally handicapped in China because I couldn’t handle chopsticks by the age of 6 or something. IQ tests were formulated by western psychologists.

https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/reference/issues-debates-culture-bias

But if you can't figure out what shape goes where or what a shape looks like flattened or cant figure out what number comes next in a sequence of digits... that's kinda the point of an intelligence test.

I do get what you're saying though. It's not so much a problem with 2nd/3rd generation Africans living in Europe but for first gen's it really really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Over 70 cops in the Buffalo unit the 2 pushers were suspended from, have resigned from that unit in protest at the suspensions. Unfortunately that might leave Buffalo police a bit short-handed, but it might be the best for the people of Buffalo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Rodin wrote: »
    I am in now way supportive of affirmative action/positive discrimination, gender quotas or any other form of social engineering.
    Best person for the job. End of.

Absolutely, refusing to give a job to the best qualified person because his or her race does not fit the gender or race criteria is racism itself

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There was blood pouring from his ear, a clear sign of a basal skull fracture. And they walked past him like he wasn't even there. They deserved to be demonised for that.

Absolutely, refusing to give a job to the best qualified person because his or her race does not fit the gender or race criteria is racism itself

Yet we had female-only jobs in academia created in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

yes, it does,
    It says I am a law abiding one, that were I ever told to move on by riot police I would.

Except I would not be out there in the first place.
    I am glad you are finally grasping it...well done.

You would never protest?

The shelter she adopted it from confiscated the dog after the video emerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Rodin wrote: »
    Yet we had female-only jobs in academia created in this country.

Welcome to "right on" Ireland.

No such quotas in female dominated sectors.

Glazers Out!

This.

Also if a cop in America told me to "get down" or "go back" or anything like that I'd bloody well comply.

They gave him milliseconds to comply if any time at all

It's been like that in Ireland for a while now especially when applying for public service jobs, if you're black, traveller, disabled, gay, trans you're at the top of the queue for every job. The last application I filled out specifically asked me all of those questions. As a straight white male I'm automatically placed at the bottom of the pile and I 100% know this to be true as a family member is very high up in one of the public sectors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

You would never protest?

are you unable to differentiate the difference between protesting and impeding riot police when told to move during a pandemic ?

• Advertisement

It's been like that in Ireland for a while now especially when applying for public service jobs, if you're black, traveller, disabled, gay, trans you're at the top of the queue for every job. The last application I filled out specifically asked me all of those questions. As a straight white male I'm automatically placed at the bottom of the pile and I 100% know this to be true as a family member is very high up in one of the public sectors.

You do know that the modern definition of sexism is when a woman is discriminated against?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement