Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think more sweeping is blaming the police for intentionally killing people in unprovoked attacks but only against black people not Latinos, whites, Asians or anyone else.

I haven’t heard anyone say that. And that’s not what BLM are saying either. Nobody suddenly forgot about the concentration camps on our southern border, ICE abducting parents picking up their American children from school, or regular ass cops brutalizing Americans of all stripes because ‘**** you im the law’ mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It's been like that in Ireland for a while now especially when applying for public service jobs, if you're black, traveller, disabled, gay, trans you're at the top of the queue for every job. The last application I filled out specifically asked me all of those questions. As a straight white male I'm automatically placed at the bottom of the pile and I 100% know this to be true as a family member is very high up in one of the public sectors.

What a world we live in.

I was applying for a job with a Northern Irish based company a good few years ago and their questionnaire was filled with questions about which "community" and religion you belonged to, needless to say I didn't bother going any further with the application.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's been like that in Ireland for a while now especially when applying for public service jobs, if you're black, traveller, disabled, gay, trans you're at the top of the queue for every job. The last application I filled out specifically asked me all of those questions. As a straight white male I'm automatically placed at the bottom of the pile and I 100% know this to be true as a family member is very high up in one of the public sectors.

Yes, I got this well. It didn't know they were allowed to ask for your sexual orientation. I was genuinely taken aback from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Hold on now, I thought white northern Europeans were naturally more intelligent?

Surely you should be way out ahead of them?

Over 70 cops in the Buffalo unit the 2 pushers were suspended from, have resigned from that unit in protest at the suspensions. Unfortunately that might leave Buffalo police a bit short-handed, but it might be the best for the people of Buffalo.

Good tbh. I hope they are all scared ****less and are demanding to be retrained before going back on riot duty. As they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,555 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Absolutely, refusing to give a job to the best qualified person because his or her race does not fit the gender or race criteria is racism itself
    Rodin wrote: »
    Yet we had female-only jobs in academia created in this country.

In both cases, earlier promises to treat people equally were found to have been empty and so the more serious steps were taken.

You would never protest?

Not unless he filed for a permit in advance with the towns ministry of truth and had it ordained by The Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

are you unable to differentiate the difference between protesting and impeding riot police when told to move during a pandemic ?

So if you are protesting peacefully and refuse to "comply" (we don't know if they told him.to get out of the way, they claim he "slipped") then it's ok if you end up with a cracked skull?

In both cases, earlier promises to treat people equally were found to have been empty and so the more serious steps were taken.

Serious, or ludicrous?

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

So if you are protesting peacefully and refuse to "comply" (we don't know if they told him.to get out of the way, they claim he "slipped") then it's ok if you end up with a cracked skull?

Have you trouble reading ?

I would not impede riot police .
    You know you can protest but not impede riot police,

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    Serious, or ludicrous?

Would you call it ludicrous if you were equally or more qualified than your counterparts of different genders but yet time and time again you failed to land the position?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

nullzero wrote: »
    What a world we live in.

I was applying for a job with a Northern Irish based company a good few years ago and their questionnaire was filled with questions about which "community" and religion you belonged to, needless to say I didn't bother going any further with the application.

They have to collect stats to show there's no discrimination in the north, but interview panels don't see it. I've been on a few panels in the public sector.

Would you call it ludicrous if you were equally or more qualified than your counterparts of different genders but yet time and time again you failed to land the position?

It would be ludicrous to assume that to be the case based on personal bias without having evidence to support it.

Glazers Out!

They have to collect stats to show there's no discrimination in the north, but interview panels don't see it. I've been on a few panels in the public sector.

Thanks for the explanation.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Rodin wrote: »
    Yet we had female-only jobs in academia created in this country.

think the politicians now have gender quota as well

They weren’t impeded. Go around. Give him more than 0.2 seconds to “move it”

Nevermind you may god forbid find yourself in the very situation of protesting a corrupt police force. Will you be so capitulating to police then? Let them call all the shots on what box you are allowed to protest from? 1 minute after 7 pm the teargas rounds hit people sitting in the gd face?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He didnt "impede them" though, impeding would be him trying to stop their forward momentum by force. He calmly approached them and was almost instantly shoved hard enough for him to fall backwards and crack his skull. He approached them, he didnt impede them.

Given the number of police per head of populaiton, it can nearly always be said that the police carry out their duties through the applied consent of the population.

This situation has shown that the general populace no longer consents to excessive behaviour by the police. What are the population to do, stay at home? observe curfew? not protest? In many many cases, as in the situation in Buffalo, there was no active riot but the police were moving to quell the peoples right to assembly and free speech. Just because someone gets dressed up as Robocop does not give them the authority to attack peaceful protesters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Overheal wrote: »
    They weren’t impeded. Go around. Give him more than 0.2 seconds to “move it”

Nevermind you may god forbid find yourself in the very situation of protesting a corrupt police force. Will you be so capitulating to police then? Let them call all the shots on what box you are allowed to protest from? 1 minute after 7 pm the teargas rounds hit people sitting in the gd face?

Would you have done what the old guy did and approach the oncoming riot police ?

I'm calling BS on a job application asking you what your sexual orientation was or whether you are a traveler or not.

If you were, take a case to the workplace relations commission and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

are you unable to differentiate the difference between protesting and impeding riot police when told to move during a pandemic ?

If the cops were right to push him... how come they are denying that, and claiming he "tripped and fell" instead?

Do you believe he was pushed, or that he "tripped and fell"?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

I'm calling BS on a job application asking you what your sexual orientation was or whether you are a traveler or not.

If you were, take a case to the workplace relations commission and let us know how you get on.

yes exactly. the majority of the posters are making up stuff and then fighting over the fake news.

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    yes exactly. the majority of the posters are making up stuff and then fighting over the fake news.

Can't think of anyone who would have given them an example of how to use that strategy.

Well, can think of one and lots of the same posters are all over other threads dictated to him also saying how good he is and falsely represented by everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Can't think of anyone who would have given them an example of how to use that strategy.

Well, can think of one and lots of the same posters are all over other threads dictated to him also saying how good he is and falsely represented by everyone else.

could be the same person with about 20 different accounts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

tigger123 wrote: »
    Hold on now, I thought white northern Europeans were naturally more intelligent?

Surely you should be way out ahead of them?

Eeh. That’s the point...

Would you have done what the old guy did and approach the oncoming riot police ?

I don’t see why not. Stand your ground and all that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic everyone

And to be clear it's about an incident in the US - nothing to do with other parts of the world beyond those places where protests have taken place

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Touching to see so many of these fine upstanding members of society honouring George Floyd in this way.

https://twitter.com/Bollocks_Dogz/status/1269027016134836230

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hit him a slap and tell him go home and watch Oprah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Touching to see so many of these fine upstanding members of society honouring George Floyd in this way.

https://twitter.com/Bollocks_Dogz/status/1269027016134836230

Fcuking scumbags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement