Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

Right, I think I'll just leave it.

Pressure is on the NFL because they ostracised Kaepernick for trying to have a peaceful protest to highlight police brutality.

Yes, most of the players are black.

These are the owners.

180518120031-nfl-owners-poc-780x439.jpg

Women seem over represented for a men's sport. I hope that will be redressed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The real bias here is that the media are spinning the story about Kaepernich so much. I bet few people know how badly college athletes are treated in America. I've heard stories of them sometimes left hungry, often treated like slaves.

The guys in the big leagues are on millions and that's where all the focus is.

If the focus was where it should be we would all realize this is a class war.

Who knows the story of Ed 'O Bannon, they profited using his image and likeness for 10 years without his permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

xtal191 wrote: »

I’m disappointed I didn’t hear anyone actually say “**** the police” in that tweet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Why Are Corporations Really Supporting the George Floyd Protests?

Joe Rogan discusses with Krystal and Saagar

• Advertisement

Bordering in parody at this point: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/04/borenstein-police-siccing-dog-on-black-george-floyd-protester-excessive/

So are the police a) making up false charges, or b) using actual deadly weapons for crowd control methods (despite so many claims that tear, gas is not that from various police departments over the last two weeks)?

It has to be one or the other.

Here’s the thing about that: the cops know the charges will never stick, because of those circumstances. Arresting him, booking him, prosecuting him, is purely to bully a citizen with the color of law. Police use that to effectively punish people extrajudicially. They won’t even show up to his court date under some circumstances- meaning the case and records are expunged, meanwhile the perp has already had to incur time and money costs to appear in court. Not to mention costs incurred during the arrest - Work or life disruption. All rather than do the correct thing, and not perform that arrest. This also reflects my feelings about the charges they threw at Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend.

Cops do NOT have to arrest, they have powers at their discretion. What SHOULD happen is meaningful corrective and preventative action to eliminate such fraud and abuse from policing.

Citizens can sue for false arrest, however most citizens who appear in municipal court to fight citations and misdemeanors who have the charge thrown out are not going to pursue the added expenses of time money and work/life sacrifices, and that’s because of systemic roadblocks and shoving the onus on the individual citizen to pursue that corrective action, whereas police enjoy collective power eg. for the Union, precinct, or city to legally defend officers charged with false arrest on their behalf.

You can file complaints but individual precincts typically find ways to bury them and render them useless: demerits for officers that disappear sometimes in 2-3 years. Occasionally less. The system overall does not possess a Just way to stop even these minor offenses imposed by the police system on a regular enough basis, evidenced by the state of the system in the article mentioned in your post.

Thus folks may look at arrest rates and think “wow all these thugs” without looking at the actual conviction rates, which may lead them to think “**** the police.” Food for thought.

2u2me wrote: »
    Why Are Corporations Really Supporting the George Floyd Protests?

Joe Rogan discusses with Krystal and Saagar

Conservatives: “Capitalism is a flawed system...”

NFL officially admit they were wrong about the anthem protests a few years ago (they effectively banned players from doing so).

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1269034074552721408

If only they had listened at at the time, but still better late than never. I guess sometimes escalation is needed to get people to pay attention and admit fault.

I reject their hollow and fair weather apology.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    But players continued to kneel during the national anthem including this year?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/29/eric-reid-national-anthem-protest-knee-nfl-colin-kaepernick

So they didn't effectively ban players protesting did they?

They signaled regardless that the league will not openly support it. That’s not an insignificant rebuke.

Still I don't see how all of that leads to what we see today. People are allowed an opinion on things, I agree perhaps the president should have been impartial.
    Fox news certainly you wouldn't expect any less really.

Some people maybe didn't want politics in sports.
    Some people maybe didn't agree with Kaepernick, that "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

Some people just don't agree that the country is oppressing black people anymore than anyone else.

You're article was one year earlier then the article you're quoting. Since then this has happened.

Is it not enough to unite against the oppression of anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah people said the Arbery murder wasn’t racially motivated either. That didn’t age well, btw.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html

So how positive are you, really, that it wasn’t racially motivated? There is no proving a negative here. I’d let the FBI do their job tbph. Americans are not wrong to protest police brutality, racial injustice, or both.

They are certainly not wrong to protest these serious issues. Its bad timing though to be doing it though. Because of Covid19. There was something online about the Spanish flu and I know they are different illnesses but there was a parade held in Philadelphia and cases of the flu spiked after that. I would be afraid that COVID-19 might explode there and people getting sick.

owlbethere wrote: »
    They are certainly not wrong to protest these serious issues. Its bad timing though to be doing it though. Because of Covid19. There was something online about the Spanish flu and I know they are different illnesses but there was a parade held in Philadelphia and cases of the flu spiked after that. I would be afraid that COVID-19 might explode there and people getting sick.

It’s not wrong.. but, [this], therefore ___ ?

People know Covid is a threat and spikes will be inevitable. That’s why so many people had no problems with staying the **** home to quote Samuel L “Bad Mother****er” Jackson. But, people protested that anyway, even blatantly disregarded safe pandemic practices in doing so. In contrast most protestors since George Floyd’s death have at least worn masks and such. Both protest movements were motivated in excess of their fear of Covid consequences.

There should be no consternation coming from the right about Covid and these protests, because it’s the exact outcome they wanted: fcuk the virus, everyone get back to work. The right is simply pissed that what most people outside want to work on is equality and policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Colin Kapernick and his pig cops socks defo wasn't stoking the fire.

I reject their hollow and fair weather apology.

This is exactly why they shouldn't apologise. It will never be enough for some people.

Women seem over represented for a men's sport. I hope that will be redressed too.

Where are all the trans and disabled NFL owners? They have a serious diversity problem they need to fix

I still don't know what exactly that protesters want. Are they protesting against racism, or is it police brutality more broadly? I've seen protesters signs saying 'Defund the police' which sounds insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The US is in serious trouble with the virus and yet the people that are most at risk are those out protesting and looting....
    It's beyond ridiculous.

Fully agree people need to change and policing too but don't forget the amount of loons out to gain for themselves and will stab or shoot anyone, look at so many of the police videos on YouTube before any of this kicking off and see how many cops have been shot and killed while been extremely respectful and carrying out their duties.

The BLM is blurred and people are dividing us all where we should be all coming together.

White, black, Asian or whatever we are all human.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I still don't know what exactly that protesters want. Are they protesting against racism, or is it police brutality more broadly? I've seen protesters signs saying 'Defund the police' which sounds insane.

In Ireland they're using it to end direct provision and anything else they can think of and it's been written on the monument at O'Connell bridge in Dublin city....

Until you start inspecting state and county budgets. Policing accounts for the overwhelming majority in many cases. The police are overfunded the same way the military is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ah okay

God damn facts!!

“As of this evening, the owner has voluntarily surrendered the dog in question to our rescue while this matter is being addressed.”

According to an update shared by the animal rescue on Wednesday, it has since “complied with the owner's request for return of the dog” after it was “promptly evaluated by our veterinarian, who found that he was in good health.”

• Advertisement

Until you start inspecting state and county budgets. Policing accounts for the overwhelming majority in many cases. The police are overfunded the same way the military is.

Considering the harm done from cutting police budgets wonder what people think the consequences of cutting funding for the police will be.

Here's a wild idea. Maybe it will lead to an increase in crime and a further breakdown in order?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

God damn facts!!

“As of this evening, the owner has voluntarily surrendered the dog in question to our rescue while this matter is being addressed.”

According to an update shared by the animal rescue on Wednesday, it has since “complied with the owner's request for return of the dog” after it was “promptly evaluated by our veterinarian, who found that he was in good health.”

Yeah, well you can prove anything with facts....

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

I saw his criminal record/rap sheet posted online. Why doesnt anyone mention those things. They are extremely violent and shocking crimes he committed. Obviously it doesnt excuse what the cops did to him. But tbh if I saw an article about someone with violent convinctions like his dying I'd think no loss to society, whatever colour they were. The poor victims of his horrific crimes.

So you were referring to this video, as if woman had every right to feel threatened by the black guy asking her to put her dog back on its collar?

No, after she refused to put the dog on the leash it was his statement, “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it.“ as he went to give the puppy something from his pocket. THAT comes across as threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's where Ivanka's products were sourced from wasn't it?

Someone remind me where MAGA hats were made? I'm sure the workers were paid top dollar though and all enjoy very nice working conditions.

An NFL player called Colin Kaepernick began kneeling at the anthem they play before games protesting injustices and basically a lot of what these riots kickstarted over in the US (personally I think they're more about general police brutality at this point with the attacks on journalists, medics and the elderly getting a lot of coverage), and some players followed suit. He had sat for a game or two first. but an ex military teammate told him that's against something to do with the military, and to kneel instead, which he did.

Trump lost his absolute mind over it and it had a complete Streisand effect where even more players began kneeling and it became a talking point before kickoff at every game. All across the likes of FOX News the kneeling players essentially became the biggest villains in America, painted as traitors and scum.

Trump supporters began threatening to boycott the league over players kneeling for the anthem (despite peaceful protest being a 1st amendment right), and a few team owners said some really stupid things like "inmates running the asylum" and eventually, the league banned its players from this form of peaceful protest.

Kaepernick, a good but not great player, basically got blacklisted by the league and never played against despite being only 29 when it happened (quarterbacks are like goalies in football, rg they play deep into their 30s).

Quick rundown video here with his words on it

So hold on. According to you:

Kaepernick peaceful protest (taking a knee): Good and 1st amendment right.

Trump supporters peaceful protest (boycott NFL): Bad and not a 1st amendment right.

Can’t you see the cognitive dissonance in your statement??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

So the narrative with Kaepernick just isn't as cut and dry as the media are making out (the activist media).

It's far from "they kicked out a star player because he protested" which is what they seem to be making out.

Let's agree to disagree here?

Surely there is at this moment in time pressure on the NFL and whoever else to make concessions to these protesors.
    The political pressure on them is huge.

Maybe the just agree they were wrong. And that maybe America is oppressing black people more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

In Ireland they're using it to end direct provision and anything else they can think of and it's been written on the monument at O'Connell bridge in Dublin city....

Ah cool, do you have link to picture of o connell Bridge thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wait that fruitloop got her dog back?

The poor dog :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wait that fruitloop got her dog back?

The poor dog :(

Sickening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement