Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

anplaya27 wrote: »
    I saw his criminal record/rap sheet posted online. Why doesnt anyone mention those things. They are extremely violent and shocking crimes he carried out. Obviously it doesnt excuse what the cops did to him. But tbh if I saw an article about someone with violent convinctions like his dying I'd think no loss to society, whatever colour they were. The poor victims of his horrific crimes.

I think you answered your own question :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Overheal wrote: »
    There should be no consternation coming from the right about Covid and these protests, because it’s the exact outcome they wanted: fcuk the virus, everyone get back to work. The right is simply pissed that what most people outside want to work on is equality and policing.

No but outside of those factions are the vast, vast majority of people. People who just want to be able to live safely. I'm on a Covid 19 support group on facebook and day after day, there are so many posts from people, mainly in the US, in absolute hell. Kids in their 20s wanting help in deciding if they should sign the DNR for both their parents. People terrified for their spouse who has just been put in an induced coma or on a ventilator. People grieving their parents, siblings, partners or adult children, often more than one loved one. People wracked with doubt about whether or not they should have signed the DNR after their loved one has died. People unable to attend funerals. People struggling to recover months after infection. Then to really make the shït worse, people who lost a parent a month ago having just been landed with a bill in excess of $200,000 for their care. And I don't know if it's my confirmation bias or not, but considering American demographics, they seem to be disproportionally black.

These people's lives are being destroyed. Both by the illness and grief but also by the massive, massive amounts of debt they have nearly all just been plunged into. And in the last week, the fear of the protests themselves and the massive potential for the virus to resurge because of them has been added to the mix. It's too fuçking much. What happened to George Floyd was so, so wrong and all 4 of those cops deserve jail. And massive, massive changes need to be made to how the police in the US operate. But protesting like they are now, day after day, while the virus is no where near under control. Has the potential to kill thousands, while ruining the lives of 10s, maybe 100s, of 1000s of people due to medical debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

iguana wrote: »
    No but outside of those factions are the vast, vast majority of people. People who just want to be able to live safely. I'm on a Covid 19 support group on facebook and day after day, there are so many posts from people, mainly in the US, in absolute hell. Kids in their 20s wanting help in deciding if they should sign the DNR for both their parents. People terrified for their spouse who has just been put in an induced coma or on a ventilator. People grieving their parents, siblings, partners or adult children, often more than one loved one. People wracked with doubt about whether or not they should have signed the DNR after their loved one has died. People unable to attend funerals. People struggling to recover months after infection. Then to really make the shït worse, people who lost a parent a month ago having just been landed with a bill in excess of $200,000 for their care. And I don't know if it's my confirmation bias or not, but considering American demographics, they seem to be disproportionally black.

These people's lives are being destroyed. Both by the illness and grief but also by the massive, massive amounts of debt they have nearly all just been plunged into. And in the last week, the fear of the protests themselves and the massive potential for the virus to resurge because of them has been added to the mix. It's too fuçking much. What happened to George Floyd was so, so wrong and all 4 of those cops deserve jail. And massive, massive changes need to be made to how the police in the US operate. But protesting like they are now, day after day, while the virus is no where near under control. Has the potential to kill thousands, while ruining the lives of 10s, maybe 100s, of 1000s of people due to medical debt.

I would be generally supportive of the protests, not the violence or more extreme rhetoric, but you're right the timing is bad with the virus.
    Anger swelled with the images of Floyd death and the brutal manner so protests took off I don't think it was planned. The tinderbox was in place Floyds killing was the spark.

But you're absolutely right the suffering caused by Coronavirus is massive and particularly hard on poor communities which are often predominantly black, and this will make it worse.

Hard to argue with anything you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fox News reporting killing black people is good for the economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Don't tell trump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

No, after she refused to put the dog on the leash it was his statement, “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it.“ as he went to give the puppy something from his pocket. THAT comes across as threatening.
    You responded to someone stating

"How many black Karen’s call 911 on white birdwatchers?" with "How many white birdwatchers state ‘I’m gonna do something you aren’t gonna like’ while beckoning someone’s dog towards them??"

To be clear, do you believe she was correct to call the police on this man and claim her life was being threatened while he stood there, at a distance and asking her and her dog to keep theres, recording the incident?

And if not, what was the point of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

So hold on. According to you:

Kaepernick peaceful protest (taking a knee): Good and 1st amendment right.

Trump supporters peaceful protest (boycott NFL): Bad and not a 1st amendment right.

Can’t you see the cognitive dissonance in your statement??
    I can't see any conlgnitivr dissonance because I never said them threatening to boycott was bad nor not a first amendment right, did I?

Those people had every right to threaten to boycott if that's how they felt about it, no different to the players having every right to continue to protest, and people being well within their right who threaten to boycott businesses hosting race baiting trolls like Milo Yiannopolous and the likes, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Ah cool, do you have link to picture of o connell Bridge thing?

No it's done in chalk from what I can see, as driving wouldn't be able to take a pic. Hopefully it will be washed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You responded to someone stating

"How many black Karen’s call 911 on white birdwatchers?" with "How many white birdwatchers state ‘I’m gonna do something you aren’t gonna like’ while beckoning someone’s dog towards them??"

To be clear, do you believe she was correct to call the police on this man and claim her life was being threatened while he stood there, at a distance and asking her and her dog to keep theres, recording the incident?

And if not, what was the point of your post?

I believe she felt threatened when the man called her dog over and stated “I’m going to do something that you are not going to like”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I can't see any conlgnitivr dissonance because I never said them threatening to boycott was bad nor not a first amendment right, did I?

Those people had every right to threaten to boycott if that's how they felt about it, no different to the players having every right to continue to protest, and people being well within their right who threaten to boycott businesses hosting race baiting trolls like Milo Yiannopolous and the likes, wouldn't you agree?

You said “Trump supporters began threatening to boycott the league over players kneeling for the anthem (despite peaceful protest being a 1st amendment right)“ as if they were somehow impinging on CK’s first amendment rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Gatling wrote: »
    Being how many marked cars have been destroyed it's safe to say they will be using whatever they can get there hands on .

Like those who posted about fake Garda car at petrol stations and shops because they weren't white or Hyundais so they were fake , despite the announcement the Garda were given fleet vehicles to carry out community assistance roles during covid .

Now American cops are kidnapping teenagers any update on the real story ?

The full story..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBC98lFjQut/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://mobile.twitter.com/jaycieelynnn/status/1268778074251780096

Still weird, she is safe and home now.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Fox News reporting killing black people is good for the economy!

It is an interesting stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It is an interesting stat.

It's absolute nonsense, the economy has bounced back a tiny bit because people aren't sticking to the lockdown measures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Someone remind me where MAGA hats were made? I'm sure the workers were paid top dollar though and all enjoy very nice working conditions.

https://apnews.com/afs:Content:6391630154

The MAGA hats are produced entirely in California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Corey Booker calls Rand Paul his friend and says" everything he says about his commitment to criminal justice reform is right." yet is fervently disagreeing with him.

Rand Paul argues his commitment to criminal justice reform is above reproach, yet he is objecting to a 'lynching' bill which has bi-partisan support.
    He is making a clear objection here, this lynching bill is far too broad of a definition. A bruise would now suffice and the memory of those who were actually lynched would be cheapened. I'd have to agree with him. Doesn't look like he has much chance in this current climate. He is merely asking that the definition of lynching be properly defined. The current interpretation is far too broad.

Emotional vitriol on the floor of the house.

It just looks like grandstanding. Kamala Harris doing her best to get the VP position.

This bill doesn't help anybody but leaves everybody feeling better about themselves.

Expect this to be all the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Considering the harm done from cutting police budgets wonder what people think the consequences of cutting funding for the police will be.

Here's a wild idea. Maybe it will lead to an increase in crime and a further breakdown in order?

Have you seen their equipment, they are better equipped than most military forces and also backed by the national guard in an emergency. We have seen armoured vehicles deployed ,how much do they cost and how often are they utilized(as in how many bullet marks can I find in them?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The full story..

Still weird, she is safe and home now.

Simple explanation beats by whole teenager kidnapped by unknown men .

Person arrested for assault, by cops who identified themselves as cops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Maybe discussed earlier in this thread but I find the destruction of medical equipment and water station for a peaceful protest even more indefensible than the shoving of the old man. Like what is the logic behind that? Inflict as much damage as possible on the citizens we protect?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501050-north-carolina-mayor-denounces-disappointing-moment-after-police-destroy%3famp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

jibber5000 wrote: »
    https://apnews.com/afs:Content:6391630154

The MAGA hats are produced entirely in California

By a workforce that is 80% Latino.

Maybe discussed earlier in this thread but I find the destruction of medical equipment and water station for a peaceful protest even more indefensible than the shoving of the old man. Like what is the logic behind that? Inflict as much damage as possible on the citizens we protect?

Why would they have a medical tent set up if they were peaceful protestors?

The station was sitting on private property without permission of the owner.
    Doesn't look like anyone was hurt, except the water bottles.

cb57d8bc-ecd3-4d3e-bf69-2c1831282651-Protest_Day3_06022020_0354.jpg?width=1080&quality=50

2u2me wrote: »
    Why would they have a medical tent set up if they were peaceful protestors?

The station was sitting on private property without permission of the owner.
    Doesn't look like anyone was hurt, except the water bottles.

cb57d8bc-ecd3-4d3e-bf69-2c1831282651-Protest_Day3_06022020_0354.jpg?width=1080&quality=50

Because the police attacked peaceful protestors. That is beyond doubt at this stage.

joe40 wrote: »
    Because the police attacked peaceful protestors. That is beyond doubt at this stage.

But we're in a lockdown and the country is near to civil war. Aren't protests allowed before the curfew?

Were protestors attacked during the curfew or outside of it? Were they given a warning to leave first?

All these releveant facts keep being ommitted from stories I read, I'm sure the ones you're reading too.

I don't dispute we have seen some horrendous things, horrible police brutality; but to paint it as if "people just want to protest peacefully attacked by power hungry cops" is horribly simplistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Providing employment for minorities living in America is such a terrible thing.

2u2me wrote: »
    But we're in a lockdown and the country is near to civil war. Aren't protests allowed before the curfew?

Were protestors attacked during the curfew or outside of it? Were they given a warning to leave first?

All these releveant facts keep being ommitted from stories I read, I'm sure the ones you're reading too.

I don't dispute we have seen some horrendous things, horrible police brutality; but to paint it as if "people just want to protest peacefully attacked by power hungry cops" is horribly simplistic.

The US is nowhere near a civil war, there is fairly widespread support for the protests from a lot of quarters.

People have the right to protest, so just been told to disperse shouldn't give the police the right to use excessive force. The farmers in Dublin weren't tear gassed or shot with rubber bullets.

There were far too many of examples of peaceful protests attacked by power hungry police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Touching to see so many of these fine upstanding members of society honouring George Floyd in this way.

https://twitter.com/Bollocks_Dogz/status/1269027016134836230
    look how quiet the thread got after posting that

Even the people of CA were shocked into silence to learn he gets his news from there. Whats next? A video of looters from @HitlerHadAPoint?

Some folks still not getting the difference between protesters and looters. We're 458 pages in lads, learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The US is nowhere near a civil war, there is fairly widespread support for the protests from a lot of quarters.

People have the right to protest, so just been told to disperse shouldn't give the police the right to use excessive force. The farmers in Dublin weren't tear gassed or shot with rubber bullets.

There were far too many of examples of peaceful protests attacked by power hungry police.

Also protesters only get beaten when the government / corporations fear them and/or their message. If they are a legitimate threat to the status quo or could possibly shine the light on governmental/corporate corruption, injustice and malfeasance then they get hammered. The Occupy protesters were brutally beaten off the streets. Girls were maced and tased. Their encampments trashed and bulldozed.

No such things happened to the Tea Party morons. They just stand around waving placards that they don't even understand or can't spell correctly. They're no threat to corporate profits. They're just a bunch of idiots and are left be. You don't see right wing tiki-torch parade mobs being baton charged.

Gen z are 'virtue signalling' apparently on 'tiktok'. They want to disown their parents. You have democrats and celebrities funding looter's bail. You have the media and activists promoting violence.
    Everyone is losing trust in the police and they no longer want to turn up.
    There is no clear agenda.

If they don't have a civil war they might be lucky if the mafia takes over.
    "I literally hate my family so much," Izabella said, eyes wet from crying. "It's just. They just tried to argue with me that George Floyd — like, they just tried to tell me that he deserved that 'cause he did something wrong, and that it was okay. That is not okay. And it's just making me so upset. I don't know. I do not wanna live here. I hate livin' in Louisiana. I hate livin' around these racist f-cks. Like, I just wanna leave."

https://www.insider.com/tiktok-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-teens-parents-racist-views-2020-6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Many legal Latinos want stricter border control.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement