Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

2u2me wrote: »
    I'd say it's more dumping a tanker load of gasoline onto a single lighting match and wondering why you have no hair left.

1/4million likes from this tweet. 80k reteweets. I'm not on twitter but this is substantial right.
    https://twitter.com/bonexreader/status/1268620915127906305

I don't agree with the no police thing but people don't become scum that quickly. Those police officers were scum before. It was just being hidden. Nothing about what the protestors did forced them to attack an old man. Nothing about the protestors forced police officers to demand the right to attack old men without punishment. All the protests did was bring the camera and show these people up for what they are.

As Will Smith said there isn't more racism these days. It is just getting filmed. The same goes for police brutality.

There is obviously a massive problem in the force. Simply sweeping it under the rug doesn't make that go away. Trust me it has been tried for decades and it keeps coming back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Colin Kapernick and his pig cops socks defo wasn't stoking the fire.

Freedom of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Colin Kapernick and his pig cops socks defo wasn't stoking the fire.

Colin on the socks
    "I wore these socks, in the past, because the rogue cops that are allowed to hold positions in police departments, not only put the community in danger, but also put the cops that have the right intentions in danger by creating an environment of tension and mistrust. I have two uncles and friends who are police officers and work to protect and serve ALL people. So before these socks, which were worn before I took my public stance, are used to distract from the real issues, I wanted to address this immediately."

Doesn't seem like stoking the fire does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i wonder does the US have that law about getting a fair trial?

if they do, the defense will prob argue that point; that the jury have already decided on his guilt. i suppose that depends on the plea as well.

anyone know anything about that sort of stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

i wonder does the US have that law about getting a fair trial?

if they do, the defense will prob argue that point; that the jury have already decided on his guilt. i suppose that depends on the plea as well.

anyone know anything about that sort of stuff?

I was thinking he same.

Every commentator you hear is takin about the dreadful murder of George Floyd..

Not the dreadful death or killing...Not 2nd degree or 3rd degree. Murder!

The officers have been charged with 3rd degree murder, yes?

The trial result will decide their fate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just saw some pictures of people in Dublin holding signs and on one knee. They look like such pathetic losers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Colin on the socks

Doesn't seem like stoking the fire does it.

He does have a history of stoking the fire. He is hated in Miami for example due to his open support of Fidel Castro.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/kaepernicks-castro-shirt-leads-heated-exchange-miami-reporter%3famp

Just saw some pictures of people in Dublin holding signs and on one knee. They look like such pathetic losers.

A day out for their social media accounts. Absolutely nothing more..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

walshb wrote: »
    The charges against Derek Chauvin, the former officer who kept his knee on Floyd's neck for almost nine minutes, were expanded this week to include the more serious one of second-degree murder. This was added to charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
    The other three officers -- Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, who helped restrain Floyd, and Tou Thao, who stood nearby -- are charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/george-floyd-officers-charges-explained/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

jibber5000 wrote: »
    He does have a history of stoking the fire. He is hated in Miami for example due to his open support of Fidel Castro.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/kaepernicks-castro-shirt-leads-heated-exchange-miami-reporter%3famp

So having an opinion about Castro is stoking the fire...
    Our president is a big supporter of Castro

I was thinking he same.

upgraded to 2nd degree. intent without premeditation is the definition. might also be hard to prove intent.

Blah, blah, blah........

Same thing said about people protesting for climate action, and previously equal rights for homosexuals and women.

Some people want to see a positive world, they show their support for that ideal.

Some just scoff and laugh. I know which mindset I admire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I wonder will 1 million turn up to protest in Washington today?

Much as this pains me to say, I actually agree with you for once. (Lol)

With our Coronavirus restrictions in place I don't think demonstration in Ireland should go ahead. There are other ways to show support.

The coronavirus does kill as well.

Other than that I would support their gesture in different times. Easy to be cynical.

jibber5000 wrote: »

Did you even read that link or listen to the interaction on it?

That was with a single reporter, and it was a 'heated' interaction, maybe you misread and presumed it was 'hated'.

Also, in the the audio, he outlines that he supported Malcolm x and then educated the reporter who said that the US does not break up families.

upgraded to 2nd degree. intent without premeditation is the definition. might also be hard to prove intent.

I feel like the question that needs to be asked what did you expect to happen? If kneeling your weight on someones weight for 9 minutes. I mean what next. Ah yeah I shot him but I didn't expect to kill him for murders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't agree with the no police thing but people don't become scum that quickly. Those police officers were scum before. It was just being hidden. Nothing about what the protestors did forced them to attack an old man. Nothing about the protestors forced police officers to demand the right to attack old men without punishment. All the protests did was bring the camera and show these people up for what they are.

As Will Smith said there isn't more racism these days. It is just getting filmed. The same goes for police brutality.

There is obviously a massive problem in the force. Simply sweeping it under the rug doesn't make that go away. Trust me it has been tried for decades and it keeps coming back up.

TBF I only have one problem with this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Blah, blah, blah........

Same thing said about people protesting for climate action, and previously equal rights for homosexuals and women.

Some people want to see a positive world, they show their support for that ideal.

People have differing opinions.

A more mature standpoint is to accept that people who disagree with you exist and have the right to hold their opinions.

Glazers Out!

2u2me wrote: »
    TBF I only have one problem with this post.

What is your issue with it? We have thousands of people saying racim is an issue. At a very Conservative guess. At what time does it become time to wonder if they have a point and have a check?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

What is your issue with it? We have thousands of people saying racim is an issue. At a very Conservative guess. At what time does it become time to wonder if they have a point and have a check?

That's just not enough, as I've learned from gamergate. These people are brainwashed by intersectionality.

There just aren't any meaningful statistics to back up that 'America oppresses black people' as Kaepernich was protesting.
    There are so many different social, economical, cultural, historical reasons for disparities we are seeing today, politce brutality is experienced by people both black and white. But not the rich.
    Intersectionality posits that an oppressed person is often the best person to judge their experience of oppression; however, this can create paradoxes when people who are similarly oppressed have different interpretations of similar events.
    Such paradoxes make it very difficult to synthesize a common actionable cause based on subjective testimony alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Blah, blah, blah........

You admire people who to go to a mass gathering in the middle of a pandemic?
    Because that's the big difference between this and your previous examples.

I'd have no problem otherwise, I'd quite possibly be there.

But anyone doing this in the current circumstances is just an irresponsible idiot.

nullzero wrote: »
    People have differing opinions.

A more mature standpoint is to accept that people who disagree with you exist and have the right to hold their opinions.

Yeah I agree, it was a previous poster who referred to people at the March in Dublin as "pathetic losers"

Who is having the mature standpoint?

joe40 wrote: »
    Much as this pains me to say, I actually agree with you for once. (Lol.

We’ll get there, Joe

And it’s nice to be able to debate and disagree vehemently, and less vehemently, whilst always remaining civil and respectable.. you are one of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

I assume the officer can still be found guilty of 3rd degree murder even if he is cleared of second degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Blah, blah, blah........

I have no problem protesting but the timing is wrong

Schools are closed
    Creches are closed
    Pubs are closed
    Funerals are limited
    We are meant to be social distancing
    Etc

You mention climate change, you can't "believe the science" for one thing and disregard to for another. You believe in following scientific advice or you don't

I feel like the question that needs to be asked what did you expect to happen? If kneeling your weight on someones weight for 9 minutes. I mean what next. Ah yeah I shot him but I didn't expect to kill him for murders?

i presume he'll argue something along of the lines of:

i was just trying to keep mr. floyd restrained. i had zero intention of killing him.

maybe. i tried to shoot him in the arm, but i have a bad aim.

ah i dunno. i suppose it wouldn't have been upgraded if they weren't sure of a conviction. they can also charge him with 2nd and 3rd degree, so if found NG on 2nd degree charge, he can still be found guilty of 3rd degree.

heres a vid i just watched on it trying to find about the jury's impartiality (vid does not address that point):

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I was thinking he same.

Chauvins charge has been upgraded to second degree murder, I think the other 3 are more 'accomplice' type charges.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/trending/how-is-second-degree-murder-different-third-degree-charges-minnesota/5NZGNC2H4NCMRKXVRX4B7DE5FQ/
    According to Minnesota’s state statutes, a person can be charged with second-degree murder under two conditions. First, if the person “causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation." Second, if the person causes the death “while committing or attempting to commit a drive-by shooting."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I have no problem protesting but the timing is wrong

Schools are closed
    Creches are closed
    Pubs are closed
    Funerals are limited
    We are meant to be social distancing
    Etc

You mention climate change, you can't "believe the science" for one thing and disregard to for another. You believe in following scientific advice or you don't

No worries. It's only policing of these mass gatherings that can spread Covid19, not the gatherings themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/teargas-coronavirus-george-floyd-protests

"Teargas and pepper spray will accelerate spread of Covid-19, doctors warn
    As crowds protest across the US, more than 1,000 medical experts raise fears police tactics could worsen the pandemic"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Did you even read that link or listen to the interaction on it?

That was with a single reporter, and it was a 'heated' interaction, maybe you misread and presumed it was 'hated'.

Also, in the the audio, he outlines that he supported Malcolm x and then educated the reporter who said that the US does not break up families.

I did read it. Here's a few articles for you to read if you've no clue of what Castro means to the people of Miami. Educate yourself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/11/27/us/nfl-colin-kaepernick-castro-feud/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/26/colin-kaepernick-will-get-rude-reception-in-miami/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2017/08/06/colin-kaepernicks-fidel-castro-comments-made-miami-a-longshot-destination/amp/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement